• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who was the most boring DLC newcomer to Smash Ultimate?

• Hero

Votes: 105 5.0%
  • Byleth

Votes: 1,093 52.5%
  • Min Min

Votes: 123 5.9%
  • Steve

Votes: 225 10.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 151 7.3%
  • Kazuya

Votes: 306 14.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 79 3.8%

• Total voters

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Please note that I did not include Piranha Plant since he was a pre-order bonus. Also, I didn't include Joker, Banjo, Terry, or Sephiroth since they seemed to get hyped reactions.

Also, I realize there's one more fighter to go. But that will be the cube from Intelligent Qube. 100% guaranteed. Take it to the bank.

My vote goes to Byleth. This was more or less my reaction:

What say you?

LikablePlainHoki-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Terry was lamer than all of your poll options other than Kazuya.

But anyway, Kazuya.

Anyone that votes for Hero gets massive side eye from me.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Byleth, definitely. It barely generated any reaction online, it was vastly ignored (which is very hard to happen for anything related to Smash).

Also, why is Hero in this poll? He's anything BUT boring, his playstyle even sparked major controversies on the competitive scene due to the randomness.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I like Fire Emblem, but Byleth's moveset was pretty uninspired. Obviously it was better than if Byleth was stuck with just sword strikes, but it was still pretty generic. Even the long range gimmick wasn't that much of an addition considering the Castlevania duo.

Oct 29, 2017
Byleth is the stock FE protagonist addition like Corrin, but Corrin is a water dragon with a chainsaw sword that can turn his/her limbs into spikes. Byleth is just...Byleth.

Everyone else on that poll was exciting whether I played the games they were in or not.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Kazuya and Terry for me. There were already too many third parties and they're throwing in these boring ass punch boys.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
It has to be Byleth. As a character, they add very little to the game. Franchise is already well-represented, standard moveset, visually similar to the other members.

I don't see how there could be another valid answer here.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
In terms of their inclusion in the game, Byleth. In terms of how they play, probably Steve.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Hero does not even belong on the poll.
Hate him if you'd like but he's not boring.

I guess byleth.
Wanted to say pyra but byleth is too vanilla

Nov 11, 2017
Modern FE MCs are, as player ciphers, nothing characters. Byleth was the third such character, in a franchise that is already overrepresented in Smash.

Be honest OP, you knew what the result was gonna be before you posted

hog

Mar 9, 2021
Terry for sure. Total no one to me. Disappointed by Kazuya too but at least I know what Tekken is.

And I loved Three Houses, so Byleth was cool for me.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Banjo for me. The representative of the worst kind of platformer, the collectathon, shows up in a trailer that's basically the K. Rool trailer again.

The only fun thing about Banjo was the meme that Kazooie and Mythra would instantly hate each other on sight.

Stairmaster_

Jan 27, 2019
None of them, honestly. They've all been wonderful surprises and I could not be happier with how this DLC has turned out.

Byleth was maybe the most easily predicted, but they're a very fun character.

Dec 11, 2017
Only very old people even knew who Terry was.

Steve LITERALLY broke Twitter. Your poll is flawed because you assume King of Fighters is more relevant than the most played game of all time.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Byleth was pretty bad. Somehow got a worse reveal trailer than Isabelle and a boring moveset.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
terry might feel like an underwhelming pick, but he's at least got cool unique mechanics

byleth is just... byleth. i don't hate him or his inclusion but he's definitely the most boring addition.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I voted Byleth, but their fighting game choices have been incredibly dull. You can't give us King or Gief?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah of course it's Byleth.

Fire Emblem is a tentpole Nintendo franchise and is gonna get a new character every game but it'd be nice if 5/8ths of them weren't boring blue haired sword bastards.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A tie between Byleth and Kazuya for me.

Byleth is pretty self explanatory and Kazuya has cemented my dislike for fighting game characters in Smash. Fighting game characters all have the same damn gimmick to the point that someone would be forgiven for thinking Ryu, Terry, and Kazuya all come from the same franchise.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I've never heard of Terry before his Smash reveal, and he is by far my favorite DLC newcomer. He's so incredibly fun to play!

Byleth, easily. Boring character, boring appearance, boring moveset.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Definitely Byleth, them being the third male-by-default FE avatar. They should've gone with Edelgard, Claude, or (bare minimum) make Female Byleth the default. The problem wasn't that Three Houses got a rep. The problem was that Sakurai chose the most boring option.

Banjo, Terry, Kazuya, Steve, and Min Min all do nothing for me. So I'm selfishly voting them.
Min Min is at least Smash's first Chinese character, so she deserves credit there.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A tie between Byleth and Kazuya for me.

Byleth is pretty self explanatory and Kazuya has cemented my dislike for fighting game characters in Smash. Fighting game characters all have the same damn gimmick to the point that someone would be forgiven for thinking Ryu, Terry, and Kazuya all come from the same franchise.

I would absolutely not forgive anyone who thought Terry Bogard came from Street Fighter.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a tie between Byleth and Pyra/Mythra in my book, as they're the most "boring" only because they aren't quite as exciting as the rest of the pass. I would also say a lot of people thought Terry was a boring addition, but I disagree with those.

I actually liked Byleth and Pyra/Mythra as choices, and I enjoy playing both of them. Sure, neither of them are something crazy like adding Doomguy or breaking the rule of "must have appeared on a Nintendo platform" and adding Master Chief (although I am still unclear on if the Fortnite thing is just a skin or not).

At this point, for both Kazuya's slot and the final slot, the game has so much "wtf insane?!" picks that, no matter what they add at this point it can't please everyone. Personally I think Shin Megami Tensei is the odd missing rep in the room, but I know not everyone would be excited if Demi-Fiend or Nahobino was added.

I guess Byleth is the answer by a small margin, just because Pyra/Mythra has the switching gimmick, which is neat, but I really don't think Byleth is boring to play and is very much a high risk, high reward character.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Byleth is definitely the most boring, even if I don't necessarily think they're the worst of the DLC characters.

Byleth is a double whammy of yet another FE character, and, of potential great Three Houses characters, is literally the most safe and boring to pick.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I would say Byleth but I like their gameplay it really should have been Edlegard I'm gonna assume Sakurai didn't actually get to play much of the final game when deciding. With that said it's Kazuya probably took no negotiating to get that character in, it's pretty boring in general and I play mostly fighting games. There's many other more interesting Tekken characters they could have chosen, well at least it wasn't Heihachi.