• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I just watched The Last Dance (it's really great) and was struck by a scene where Jordan & Seinfeld are talking in the locker room.

seinfeld-mj-top.jpg

Interspersed with the locker room footage is an impromptu interview with Seinfeld where he says that the Bulls were the team of the 90s and Seinfeld was the show of the 90s. It got me wondering about what else some might consider to be representative of the decade and naturally my mind wandered to video games. Being born in '95, I know the biggest games and have an idea of their impact, and could hazard a guess, but I'm missing the proper context and tenor of what things were like in the medium/industry back then.

So Era, who was THE video game developer and/or publisher of the decade?

220px-Id_Software.svg.png

Was it id Software with Wolfenstein 3-D, DOOM 1/2, and Quake 1/2/3 Arena bringing the FPS to the forefront, with lots of shooters after Dec '93 simply being labelled "DOOM clones"?

Capcom_logo.png

Was it Capcom with Street Fighter 2/3 (and the way too many re-releases I won't put here), Marvel vs Capcom, the Mega Man X series, Dino Crisis, and Resident Evil 1-3 birthing the survival horror genre?

Was it Konami with Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night/Rondo of Blood, Suikoden 1/2, Silent Hill, Dance Dance Revolution, and The Simpsons/X-Men/TMNT arcade games?

1038765.png

Was it Squaresoft with Final Fantasy III-VIII, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Super Mario RPG, Romancing SaGa 1-3, Front Mission 1-3, Final Fantasy Tactics, Parasite Eve 1/2, and Xenogears?

Or was it one of the platform holders like Nintendo, SEGA, or and Sony? Or even one I didn't mention?

Huskman

Jan 21, 2019
hmmmm I'd wager it would either be Sony, Nintendo, or Squaresoft. Granted, my knowledge of 90's gaming is subpar.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I feel like it's gotta be Sega. They were making great games and pushing boundaries in the Arcade. Their arcade hardware was years ahead of practically everything on the market.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Saying Nintendo is cheating right? I'm assuming it's cheating because it would be too easy. Maybe Sony and SEGA shouldn't count either

I would give it to Capcom, Squaresoft and

daqmadm-7e2ad543-0277-472a-8c2e-232ba079452e.png

Rare owned the 90's and we all know it. Donkey Kong Country trilogy, Goldeneye 007, Banjo-Kazooie. Let's also not forget Killer Instinct, Diddy Kong Racing, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, Battletoads. That's not even including their early 2000's games like Conker, Tooie and Perfect Dark.

We didn't know how good we had it.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
So many greats: Konami and Capcom were both on a roll, Nintendo obviously. Sega (part of the 90's anyway for consoles and including arcades), Square could do no wrong at this point either.

Ecks

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There wasn't really one. It would be easier to say "The system of the 90s" than a single developer, and even then, tough call. I'd say NIntendo, since their 90s output was among their best but that's just my take.

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have to say Nintendo or Squaresoft, the amount of quality games they released in those years is staggering.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
For me it was Square without a doubt. Their output on Playstation 1 was by far my favorite of any developer in any generation.
Final Fantasy VII ~ IX, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Saga Frontier 2, Front Mission, Chrono Cross, and list goes on.
I even enjoyed a lot of their smaller, niche titles from them like Einhander, Musashi, Chocobo Dungeons.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Late 90 it would be namco and Sony , but they were not that big prior the PlayStation

So I would say Nintendo capcom and konami

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Metal Gear Solid, Winning Eleven and Resident Evil were a big part of my childhood, so I go with Capcom and Konami.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to convey just how ridiculous the output of 90s Square was. For instance:

O5pQMfA.png

That's one year of output, and I couldn't include Vagrant Story in the screenshot (released Feb 10th), because they fucking kicked too much ass and released more than I could fit. Like, FF8, SaGa Frontier 2, Legend of Mana, Front Mission 3, Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve 2, Threads of Fate and Vagrant Story were all the same year. W T F.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Street Fighter dominated the early-mid 90s and Resident Evil dominated the late 90s. I think this goes to Capcom.

Nintendo might not count since they also do hardware.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking full 90s, it'd be only Nintendo. If we want to segment, Square and EA ruled the late 90s/early 00s. Nintendo, Konami, and Capcom dominated the late 80s/early 90s.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The Bulls are irrelevant now and Seinfeld isn't on anymore so I think the best comparison here would be Sega.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
For me it was Squaresoft.

Side note, here in France nobody has heard of Seinfeld, I'd say Friends was the show of the 90s.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
As someone who played primarily on PC and mostly played early 90s DOS games well into the late 90s, it'd probably be either Apogee/3DR, Epic or id for me personally.

devon37

Banned
Jan 3, 2019
During that time Nintendo Made : Super Mario world, Super Metroid, A link to The Past, Super Mario 64, and Ocarina of Time.

You could very reasonably make an argument that all of those games are in the top 10 of all time. Or even that they make up all of the top 5.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
During that time Nintendo Made : Super Mario world, Super Metroid, A link to The Past, Super Mario 64, and Ocarina of Time.

You could very reasonably make an argument that all of those games are in the top 10 of all time.

Don't forget they published Pokemon.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of Sierra. Real answer is probably Square or Nintendo

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
It's either Capcom or Konami.

Other devs such as Square excelled in one area but Capcom and Konami were covering so many genres with defining titles.

Capcom with their arcade output through the 90s was insane. Their console games as well. Capcom had premier beat em ups, fighters, shooters and even had the Breath of Fire series on SNES for the RPG base. They owned the Sega Dreamcast. In its final years they brought their arcade quality to the home.

People may say Nintendo but my answer to that is the billions SF cabs raked in throughout the decade. SF had an insane exposure than.

Capcom takes the cake for me.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Rare. Their output of games from 1990-1999 alone was nothing short of phenomenal, especially when you consider how few people were employed. And it was a variety of a bunch of different IP, too: some old, some new, some licensed and they were all varied with different genres. Fighting, platformers, Racing, shooters (both first and third person), and so forth. Quite incredible.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom. While pulishers like Nintendo and Squaresoft had huge presence on console, their arcade output was really weak. Capcom was killing it on both ends. Their CPS2 and CPS3 output was legendary, combine with many huge console ip they've established on SNES and PS1, it's hard to beat the 90s Capcom.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Nintendo for the first half of the 90s and Sony for the second half, basing this on them getting a cut from 3rd party game sales and having successful first party titles as well. If we are just talking exclusively about 3rd party publishers then for me it would be Squaresoft, followed very closely by Capcom.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
It's hard to pick just one, pretty impossible I think. Early 90's Sega was rockin the home and throughout the decade the arcade. Nintendo was on fire with great games. Maybe console makers shouldn't count. The amount and diversity of the games that were created by all of the companies that were around really makes it challenging to find one company that would be the best overall throughout the entire decade. Capcom with all the Street Fighters and Resident Evils and Vs games is definitely top 5 for me though.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo and Square have the output, but I'd say Id, because they were rockstars that went beyond gaming.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Square I'd say, but Japanese developers in general were red hot back then.

Nintendo doesn't work for me because outside of some landmark titles the N64 era was basically a huge downfall for them.

Nov 8, 2017
Nintendo and Square have the output, but I'd say Id, because they were rockstars that went beyond gaming.

It's hard to compare them on the same scale because id for most of the 90's was a single team of less than 20 people (I think it got to almost 40 on Quake 3, just before the turn of the millenium), while Nintendo and Square were big companies maintaining teams that developed many games in parallel.

Hellfire

May 26, 2019
Put me in the impossible to call camp.
If we're talking full 90s, it'd be only Nintendo. If we want to segment, Square and EA ruled the late 90s/early 00s. Nintendo, Konami, and Capcom dominated the late 80s/early 90s.
Square's pre-Playstation 90s output isn't too shabby either:
Final Fantasy I&II rereleased on SNES, Final Fantasy III-VI, Final Fantasy Legend II-III, Romancing Saga I-III, Final Fantasy Adventure, Secret of Mana, Trials of Mana, Front Mission, Front Mission: Gunhazard, Live a Live, Bahamut Lagoon and Treasure of the Rudras. They still managed to find time to make the Hanjuku Hero series, the odd racing game, and 4 Satellaview games.

Capcom. While pulishers like Nintendo and Squaresoft had huge presence on console, their arcade output was really weak. Capcom was killing it on both ends. Their CPS2 and CPS3 output was legendary, combine with many huge console ip they've established on SNES and PS1, it's hard to beat the 90s Capcom.
What about Sega doing the same thing?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to compare them on the same scale because id for most of the 90's was a single team of less than 20 people (I think it got to almost 40 on Quake 3, just before the turn of the millenium), while Nintendo and Square were big companies maintaining teams that developed many games in parallel.
And that's even more impressive, Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake are some of the most beloved franchises from that era, and took the PC-compatible (and maybe home micro) market by a storm.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Square because Nintendo would be cheating. But Square would make a compelling case anyways so it's not that far either!

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
What about Sega doing the same thing?

For me, Capcom and Sega are very close but I give the top place to Capcom since many of Capcom flagship ip in the 90s are genre-defined level. I meant, they owned the fighting genre with games like SF2, SF3, SF Alpha, MvC etc. Then they owned the survival horror genre with RE 1,2 and 3. Capcom actually "saved" the Saturn with their arcade-perfect ports. It's hard not to pick them as winner.