• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my hot take:

I don't think Terry or Kazuya should be in the game. It felt like they were there just for the Crossover sake, and I don't like that their controls are so different compared to the other characters. If they can't fit into Smash's control scheme, then they shouldn't be there.
Both are iconic characters and their control schemes are not difficult. You can still play them like you would any other character.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
It has to be Byleth. Was anyone in the entire world excited by that reveal? It was a huge disappointment for most people.

Jun 22, 2021
All of them, because they didn't add who I want and I'm the most important fella in the world.

Do better next time Nintendo.

/s if it wasn't obvious

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Both are iconic characters and their control schemes are not difficult. You can still play them like you would any other character.

You really can't, though.

Kaz has more moves that can only be used with special inputs. And Terry? One example is your up special doesn't go as high unless you use his classic command inputs. That's kind of shitty.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I actually love FE3H and Byleth's moveset quite a lot, but they still elicited a groan from me when they were added.

Oddy enough, Terry was one of the characters I was least excited for and he ended up being one of my favourites in the entire game.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Byleth is great, I'd have preferred Edelgard but TH needed a rep either way.

My hot take is it's Sephiroth, who's still a fun choice but isn't really representing anything we didn't have before.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
then

just

play

somebody

else

For the record, I'm just here for discussion sake. Personally I love all of the DLC characters. These are just my 2 least favorites. But don't be an ass because I'm answering the question posed in the OP/Title of the thread...

And this comment has big "You don't like my 'merica? Then leave" energy...

Jun 11, 2019
For the record, I'm just here for discussion sake. Personally I love all of the DLC characters. These are just my 2 least favorites. But don't be an ass because I'm answering the question posed in the OP/Title of the thread...

And this comment has big "You don't like my 'merica? Then leave" energy...
if you don't like my emotional support himbo who speaks in broken English, then

i dunno you're fine, smash cut threads make me choose violence

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sephiroth and Steve

Xenoblade is bigger than Metroid and almost as big as FE

Metroid dread sold 2.9m units by March, which puts it significantly ahead of any of the xenoblades we have numbers for. Unless 3 significantly outperforms, it'll stay that way too. Metroid Dread is probably going to end up ahead of any Fire Emblem too, for that matter.

Anyway, it's Byleth. It's not specifically about the character, but more that Fire Emblem had far too many characters over a short period. From Smash 4 to the end of Ultimate DLC, it went from 2 characters in Brawl (Marth and Ike) to 6 with 4 + DLC to 8 in Ultimate, all over the space of about 5 years. They had no business putting Byleth as what was at the time planned to be the last DLC character over someone from ARMS or basically any other franchise.

I honestly and truly believe there would have been less backlash if Edelgard was chosen. Everyone has their favorite lord but I think if anything, they would understand why someone like Edelgard was chosen over the other 2. And also we could have gotten a purely axe focused FE character. With Byleth it felt like everyone loses. Let's face it Edelgard is the face of 3 Houses.

Edelgard probably wouldn't have been chosen, and a lance or bow based character would have been way more unique than an axe in smash, which is a weapon that's effectively already used exactly like a sword in the way that several heavy characters already do in the game. There would have been a ton of backlash because it was about it being another FE character, and picking one of the lords wouldn't have changed that. And picking any of them guarantees 2/3rds of the playerbase didn't get their favourite and hates it. Byleth was always the only actual choice if you had to have someone from Three Houses.

Last edited:

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
The only waste is acting as though "wasted slots" are a thing that exist. They don't. That line of thinking is flawed and selfish from the start and really just comes down to naming the character(s) that don't cater specifically to the person complaining about "wasted slots."

For example, Byleth was probably the most disappointing DLC fighter for me personally but that doesn't mean her "slot" was "wasted" -- she made plenty of Fire Emblem: Three Houses fans happy, which is a win for those people, served to cross-promote Fire Emblem: Three Houses in Smash, which is a win for Nintendo (something most folks here probably don't care about but at the end of the day, from Nintendo's perspective Smash does exist to make as much money and drive as many sales of represented games as possible), and the stage + music that came with her were great, which is a win for the rest of us who don't necessarily care about Byleth herself but just love Smash in general.

And hey, she ended up being a lot of fun to play and meaningfully different from all the other FE characters mechanically. Still don't care about her from a character perspective but damn if I don't enjoy playing her on occasion!

Last edited:

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem didn't need 8 characters and if it did it probably could have a way more even spread to showcase the history of the franchise rather than just the last 3 games.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Piranha Plant should have been Koopa Troopa, because it's legacy of being the first normal enemy of Mario featured in a spin-off as a normal character, Super Mario Kart. At least as far as I know.

In a more "serious" note, I really dislike Steve, but technically is a good character, so my opinion doesn't matter.

Kimbou

Jan 22, 2021
The crossover element is both a blessing and a curse. Should these be original characters there probably wouldn't be the narrative of "slots" or "character X taking the place of character Y" as they'd all just be new additions without the expectation of it being a known/pre-existing face. Surely the movesets would still have their fair share of discussion, not sure if any would be considered a "waste" though.

Then again the whole crossover thing IS what Smash is all about and especially the newer fighters are built heavily source material in mind. I agree that the Fire Emblem representation is a bit excessive, but Piranha Plant is just something quirky they decided to add, it didn't take the place of anyone else. I can see being disappointed in some characters, but I can't see them being wastes.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why isn't this a problem with the Pokémon starters they keep picking?

The difference in reception is because Pokémon got 1 new character in ultimate, and 1 in smash 4.

Fire emblem got 3 in smash 4 and 2 in ultimate.

And it's not like incineroar was particularly popular as the final announcement of the base game other than Piranha plant either

barley

Banned
Aug 16, 2018
In terms of moveset......Sora. Ngl, I got bored of him quicker than anyone else. However, his inclusion is amazing and his trailer was fucking AMAZINGGGG.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
I was glad to see someone make this right after the announcement

c88

First FP2 announcement:

"byleth ... 2!"

giphy_1.gif

They'll never see it coming.

Sakurai's face should be replaced with the ResetEra logo. Those tears were delicious. XD

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
The difference in reception is because Pokémon got 1 new character in ultimate, and 1 in smash 4.

Fire emblem got 3 in smash 4 and 2 in ultimate.

And it's not like incineroar was particularly popular as the final announcement of the base game other than Piranha plant either

No, what I'm saying is that they could have decided between any of the 3 Lords instead of Byleth. After all Sakurai had no problem picking Greninja before X&Y were released, and he picked Incineroar out of the 3 Alolan starters. So he absolutely could have picked one of the 3 Lords you pick between in Three Houses.

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
Idk about wasted, but personally I thought piranha plant was an interesting character. I haven't played all of the dlc characters though

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why isn't this a problem with the Pokémon starters they keep picking?

Huh? What do you mean starters?

Smash 1 gave us Pikachu and Jigglypuff, both non starters
Smash 2 gave us Pichu and Mewtwo, both non starters
Smash 3 gave us Lucario, a non starter, and Pokemon Trainer, a 3 in 1 combo that were all from a starter family
Smash 4 gave us Greninja, a starter
Smash 5 gave us Inceneroar, a starter

You could argue in either direction that the pokemon selection has more starters than non, but in either arguments, you have to concede there are 5 unique characters that aren't starters.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Piranha Plant is exactly the kind of creative energy something like Smash needs.

I would have voted for at least one of the six thousand Fire Emblem representatives in favor of giving something else deserving its due.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
IMO, Byleth.

Byleth turned me off the game entirely and made me tune out completely from the volume 2 DLC characters.

I'm not a fan of Three Houses, not a fan of Fire Emblem, and not a fan of silent protagonists in general, so Byleth had a lot going against them in my eyes.

If we include non-Nintendo characters, Sephiroth. I remember seeing Sephiroth and thought it was for sure a joke, because it was so ridiculous and stupid, but here we are. I hope the people who were excited for those characters enjoy them, at least!

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
Huh? What do you mean starters?

Smash 1 gave us Pikachu and Jigglypuff, both non starters
Smash 2 gave us Pichu and Mewtwo, both non starters
Smash 3 gave us Lucario, a non starter, and Pokemon Trainer, a 3 in 1 combo that were all from a starter family
Smash 4 gave us Greninja, a starter
Smash 5 gave us Inceneroar, a starter

You could argue in either direction that the pokemon selection has more starters than non, but in either arguments, you have to concede there are 5 unique characters that aren't starters.

See my post above, I was referring to Incineroar and Greninja. Players have 3 starters to pick between in the main games. Three Houses offered you…well, three houses to pick from. I was just saying that just like Sakurai was picking a Pokémon from the 3 starters, he could have picked a lord as well.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
See my post above, I was referring to Incineroar and Greninja. Players have 3 starters to pick between in the main games. Three Houses offered you…well, three houses to pick from. I was just saying that just like Sakurai was picking a Pokémon from the 3 starters, he could have picked a lord as well.
Ahh that make sense.

My only comment is I thought Gamefreak picked who made it into Smash? I thought they sent concept over to Sakurai before the Pokemon games even came out for Greninja.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No, what I'm saying is that they could have decided between any of the 3 Lords instead of Byleth. After all Sakurai had no problem picking Greninja before X&Y were released, and he picked Incineroar out of the 3 Alolan starters. So he absolutely could have picked one of the 3 Lords you pick between in Three Houses.

The thing is, even when they do pick a starter, they're not really characters, so it's not the same as is the case with three houses, where people have far deeper connections to whichever their favourite lord happens to be, it would be far more divisive and leave people more pissed off.

Like, people here are convinced it'd have been Edelgard, when the odds are significantly likely that wouldn't be the case given the decision was made pre Three houses launch, and Edelgard didn't even originally get a full route, with it only being tacked on later in development and being significantly shorter than the others. She wasn't even originally intended to be playable at all for the second half of the game when they conceived it, the realistic answer is you would have ended up with Dimitri or Claude instead. And if you think the reaction to Byleth was bad, a bunch of people would have been apocalyptic here that their favourite warmongering slaughterer didn't get chosen.

JJ!

Dec 18, 2017
Honestly if byleth was switched with the 3 protags from three houses, Kinda like pokemon trainer? i would have been fine with that.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
The only "slots" worth mentioning are the DLC slots not the ones on the CSS. And so by that metric Piranha plant wasn't a wasted slot since it was free and part of the base game technically. That said, it was Byleth

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Piranha Plant is the kind of DLC choice that lets me know the contents of your soul.
Bold of you to assume I have a soul.

Agreed. Every Smash should have at least one weird choice. 64 had Luigi (the only clone), Melee had Mr. G&W (barely a character!), Brawl had ROB (only fighter based off a peripheral), Wii U/3DS had Duck Hunt (obscure classic character), and Ultimate has Piranha Plant! Arguably Banjo-Kazooie too for being so anticipated, yet deemed impossible due to Microsoft.
I don't think Luigi was the only clone of the original Smash. Jigglypuff was at the time more Kirby than non-Kirby.

Threads like this are the exact reason why I refuse to engage with the Smash Bros community despite loving the games.

No character is a waste of a slot. Every character is someone's favorite character.
Once more, for the people in the back.

We should make more threads based on appreciating things rather than hating on things. It would brighten up this place.
Would you like me to make a "most underappreciated DLC character?" thread?

It has to be Byleth. Was anyone in the entire world excited by that reveal? It was a huge disappointment for most people.
RogersBase and ScorchedBacon, among several others.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I don't agree with the logic of a wasted slot, but for the sake of the thread ill contribute, and ill say banjo
But ONLY because of his moveset/knockback ability/combo and damage percent game
Literally EVERYONE ELSE on both fighter passes are amazing if not great, and then there is him, who just feels like a worse Snake/Shiek combo
He wants to be strong but he cant do that properly, he wants to combo with certain moves like Nair, but also can't do that properly. Side smash sucks, he has no kind of spike, only a dair that takes him out and his presentation really felt like Sakurai was like "i have not played this game so it is what it is"
The only amazing tool he has is also on a limited time use, and you can just block it and it does like no shield damage
None of the other fighter pass 1/2 characters have these issues, they are all amazing if not highly sought in comp scene
You have to do SO much with him, that it's just not worth to me, might as well play snake at that point

This is NOT worth of a "DLC" character at all, he should've been in the base roster, not someone i have to pay for

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I didnt care for the Minecraft one, felt out of place and wished there was another character I'd be into that someone would probably make a thread about how shit of a choice that was. And Piranha Plant was one of the most used for me so uh... yeah

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Piranha Plant - Should've been base roster, personally would've went with Paper Mario or Waluigi or Geno if you want to take from Mario franchise so badly
Joker - Definitely a UNEXPECTED HUH WOW pick and it worked AMAZINGLY WELL, I could see arguments for this one
Hero - Honestly shouldn't have taken this long for DQ to be represented in a Nintendo Franchise like this, also unique mechanic
Banjo - Already said my thoughts
Terry - You can tell that THIS was Sakurai's personal pick from how he spoke about the character/franchise with passion, let the man put his dream character(s) in the game, not dissing on KoF or saying it doesnt belong mind you, not to mention unique mechanic
Byleth - I got nothing for this one, going to assume he was throwing JPN fans a bone like he did Banjo for US fans, if so thats fair
Min Min - Unique Playstyle/Concept, plus ARMS and Xeno 2 was originally planned to be in the game anyway, deserved spot
Steve - Extremely unique, from a well known franchise, most likely a business deal but it is what it is, what do i know
Sephiroth - Iconic Villains are ALWAYS welcomed, ESPECIALLY ones that aren't bullshitting around on some not goofy shit (see Ridley)
Pyra/Mythra - See Min Min
Kazuya - Villain (great!), We already got literally the other main fighting games in the series, why not, also a UNEXPECTED HUH WOW pick tbh
Sora - Deserved, no i will not elaborate