• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who was better?

• Keaton

Votes: 72 67.3%
  • Chaplin

Votes: 35 32.7%

• Total voters

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I would have to go with Keaton for me, I still watch The General sometimes and I still love it.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

7b40b4097346d86a4088c57db9f1887d.gif

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Keaton by far.

I watched Sherlock Jr., Cameraman, The General and Steamboat Bill Jr. recently and some of those stunts are still amazing.

If you haven't seen Sherlock Jr. yet, give it a watch now. It's only 45 minutes, and that short running time is absolutely packed with creative stunts and trickery.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
keatons movies and some of his stunts are still incredible to watch. chaplins movies tended to have a bit more heart to 'em.

the best silent comedian however is harpo

giphy.gif

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought I was a Keaton man, but the more I watch Chaplin's stuff, the more I think I prefer him. The Gold Rush, Modern Times, and The Kid I enjoy more than a lot of Buster's work. But there's also a lot of Buster I still haven't seen yet.

I think one problem I have with Buster Keaton is the presentation...Chaplin took much better care of his work, and it looks and sounds great today. Buster being as fucked over as he was did have the same kind of ownership, so preservation wasn't as consistent. I remember watching The General on Amazon some time ago and the transfer didn't look good and the score they'd added was so shitty.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Keaton undeniably pulled off some really out there and dangerous stuff, but there's more to a movie than stunts. Chaplin's narratives are super engaging and memorable, I've seen most of his features including talkies, so... voting Charlie.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Keaton's work was funnier, Chaplin's had more heart.

Sherlock Jr might be the funniest silent film I've seen but there are very few moments in film that compare to the ending of City Lights.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harold Lloyd! I took this from his house at the weekend.

And he was friend to the beasts!

WUvVYLu.gif

yv5Ldms.gif

Dj3p1GX.gif

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Chaplin is funnier and tugs on the heartstrings more, Keaton is more impressive in his set-pieces

But I've developed an appreciation of Harold Lloyd; his straight-man comic timing, impressive technical aspects of his films, and ridiculous stuntwork have been so entertaining to watch

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I'm sorry buuut

"Machinery meant to give us abundance has left us in want"

"Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts! You don't hate! Only the unloved hate - the unloved and the unnatural"

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Harold Lloyd! I took this from his house at the weekend.

And he was friend to the beasts!

WUvVYLu.gif

yv5Ldms.gif

Dj3p1GX.gif

This guy is a legend considering that he only had one fully functioning hand left for the majority of his latter films, and wore gloves to give off the illusion he had two full hands, while still doing the stunts he did.

Legend.

Definitely my vote for this discussion, particularly considering that he had the most success out of the 3, which most people probably don't even know.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Keaton was better on camera, Chaplin was better in production, but Chaplin's influence pushes him to the top between those two for me.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Chaplin was really great as a clever, slapstick character, but Keaton's physical stunts were unparalleled at the time.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This guy is a legend considering that he only had one fully functioning hand left for the majority of his latter films, and wore gloves to give off the illusion he had two full hands, while still doing the stunts he did.

Legend.

Definitely my vote for this discussion, particularly considering that he had the most success out of the 3, which most people probably don't even know.

A big group of us rented an airbnb (cheaper than a hotel) in Palm Springs to go see some tennis thing (Indian - it got canceled but we decided to go ahead and spend a couple of days rather than lose money.

then the homeowner canceled at the last second but the agency felt bad and gave us an available replacement home for the same rate - it was Harold Lloyd's estate and kind of a museum- amazing photos and history and the "caretaker " - a fancy dude who may well have been the ownerchatted with me for AGES about Harold and the house - he was delighted anybody knew anything about Lloyd!

it was thunder and lightning most of the time and a thoroughly horrible weather weekend for what's normally guaranteed sunshine.

I didn't care and rode my bike up the road all the way to the cable car and what's normally a barren desert gulch had transformed into a miraculous verdant spring with a swimming hole and a rushing creek!

Cellphone shot of miracle creek:

ojrEKKY.jpg

weekend was ruined for everyone except me! Everything's common' up Stinkles! Except for the giant global pandemic and depression...

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They were both incredible but I have so much admiration for Keaton's work. His stunts are incredible even by today's standards (though often dangerous).

Oct 26, 2017
Keaton when it comes to silent film comedy, Chaplin when it comes to range of talent (The Great Dictator is an amazing movie).