• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
The World Health Organization has urged the UK to pause its vaccination programme after vulnerable groups have received their jabs to help ensure the global rollout of doses is fair.

Boris Johnson has said he aims to offer all adults in the UK a first dose by autumn. However, the WHO said countries should be aiming for 2bn doses to be "fairly distributed" around the world by the end of 2021.

A WHO spokeswoman, Margaret Harris, said she wanted to appeal to people in the UK, telling them: "You can wait" because ensuring equitable global distribution is "clearly morally the right thing to do".

The UK has one of the highest levels of vaccine coverage, along with Israel and the UAE, but many poorer countries are yet to start any immunisations.

Johnson said this week the UK was on target to reach its goal of vaccinating the most vulnerable by 15 February.

When asked to clarify whether the UK should help efforts elsewhere once it had vaccinated its top nine priority groups, Harris told BBC Breakfast: "We're asking all countries in those circumstances to do that. Hang on, wait for those other groups.

"We'll also appeal to all the people of the UK – you can wait.

"We're asking countries, once you've got those [high-risk and healthcare worker] groups, please ensure that the supply you've got access to is provided for others.

Advertisement

"While that is morally clearly the right thing to do, it's also economically the right thing to do.

"There have been a number of very interesting analyses showing that just vaccinating your own country and then sitting there and saying 'we're fine' will not work economically."

www.theguardian.com

WHO urges Britain to pause Covid jabs after treating vulnerable

Move would help poorer countries receive vaccine, says World Health Organization

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
lol

We're talking about a country where a top official said that they could use food shortages in Ireland as a means to force through Brexit just a year ago.
Does anyone actually think the UK will start sending their stockpile elsewhere or pause orders of the vaccine?

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I'm glad I'm not the one in charge of this decision because it feels like being put between a rock and a hard place. I agree with what the WHO is saying but it's not gonna be easy to tell your country's population "can you guys just hold on and wait a little while longer as we send these vaccines to other countries instead?"

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Highly doubt that'll happen, even if it's a logical course of action.

The only scenario in which the UK government will take decisive action to protect its population is if it's as a by-product of screwing over other countries.

BigTastyBoi

Jul 23, 2018
We've just got to hope that the Tories decide to share the wealth, unfortunately it's probably fairly likely that Boris rides the vaccine train all the way home as a way to justify Brexit.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
lol they are closer to re-launcing the East India Company and going to find more vaccines in other places than make a humanitarian decision.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It's a righteous and beautiful thought, but it's not going to happen.

It's basically just saying, "We should have global equity of rights, opportunities, and resources." Yes, we should. We aren't magically going to get to that point in the home stretch of this pandemic, though.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I'm hoping that Biden when he has his foreign policy speech monday announces a increase in efforts to support covid efforts around the world. I feel reasonably confident that will happen.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
This is what every country should do, I do want to delay my vaccine, even though right now that is sending an anti-vaxxer message instead of a message to help someone else that is in need of a vaccine.

I'm glad I'm not the one in charge of this decision because it feels like being put between a rock and a hard place. I agree with what the WHO is saying but it's not gonna be easy to tell your country's population "can you guys just hold on and wait a little while longer as we send these vaccines to other countries instead?"

Yeah, it is something that needs to come from the population. But many people at the moment much rather take the vaccine than making sure other people that are at risk are covered.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It's a righteous and beautiful thought, but it's not going to happen.

It's basically just saying, "We should have global equity of rights, opportunities, and resources." Yes, we should. We aren't magically going to get to that point in the home stretch of this pandemic, though.
Problem is, it's a global issue. If the world has no more covid you don't have covid. It's amazing how selfish we've all been during this pandemic. While complaining about it's longevity. All the world had to do was think about others for a few weeks.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
No politician is ever gonna be like "we were going to vaccinate you but the WHO asked us not to."

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
This is a win-win for the Tories. Despite having the highest death rate in Europe by a considerable margin they'll just divert to their vaccine rollout when criticized and on top of that can push the Brexit agenda.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Ultimately anyone getting the vaccine is everyone getting the vaccine, given how viruses spread, and especially given the course of this virus.

But... yeah, this probably isn't going to happen.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In a just world, that thinking would be applied globally. I guess Britain here is singled out because of its high vaccination rate, but this should apply to everyone.

It would be political suicide by Johnson if he did this, his support base would eat him alive.
Much as I am reluctant to be fair to Johnson, there is literally no country in the world that would support their government making this choice. Every single government is under enormous pressure to vaccinate as many of their own people as fast as possible.

Like, Canada is reasonably close to the top tier in terms of when vaccines will be available, and every single day is stories of people demanding to know when the vaccines will be available and how the government is falling behind the first couple of countries in the queue.

Any government that halts or even meaningfully slows vaccination to benefit other countries will get slaughtered for doing so.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
It's a terrible position to be in, the UK after Israel is doing really well with the early bets, investment and work through our NHS infrastructure to get the jabs out.

After a disrupted and smaller supply than expected its been amazing to watch the numbers really pull forward to get our sick covered (even tho just one jab) when the country is on fire.

The UK is really in and a hard place.

The worst numbers for deaths, hard targets told to the public and finally people feeling positive about the numbers going down and a corner being turned.

Also the UK investment in our science, creating treatments, leading with sequencening, already supporting other countries and also being the lead investor in COVAX (£500m) more than the entire EU and US haven't yet.

I completely understand why everyone is really getting their back up.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt any country would be willing, let alone able, to say to its people that they aren't getting vaccinated any more. That's kinda the biggest priority, because the sooner everyone is vaccinated the sooner everyone can go back to work and these lockdowns can end.

All this'll do is turn public sentiment in the UK against the WHO because nobody here will actually blame Boris Johnson for putting British people first when it comes to stopping the pandemic.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Supplying hardhit countries like the UK is a better thing to do than diverting supplies to hardly hit African countries, because that is going to save the most lives in the short term.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Seems logical; those of us who can work at home and just do some light shopping can wait whilst the rest of the World and those who can't get the jab.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I agree that this is the right thing to do. Not only for the UK but for all countries that get their most vulnerable people and healthcare workers vaccinated as well. But there is like no reality where this is ever gonna happen. Don't think there is a single country on earth that is willing to give up their vaccines for others right now.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems logical; those of us who can work at home and just do some light shopping can wait whilst the rest of the World and those who can't get the jab.

The issue is that's not really how the lockdown works. The government can't really come out and say it can no longer vaccinate the majority of the population and, because of that, they have to put the country in lockdown for at least the next few years.

They can't exactly end the lockdowns, either, because the coronavirus is mutating and becoming more transmissible and affecting younger people worse. The vaccine may work on that but if nobody is allowed it then we're kinda screwed.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's logical in a perfect world but very unlikely. Also, it's something the world needs to do at some point because you won't be travelling around if countries aren't on the same page. We need to come up together.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
As a follow on from my last post I think we can take some solace in ever effort has already been happening

www.theguardian.com

Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine to be sold to developing countries at cost price

Jab that is part of global initiative to distribute doses will remain at low price ‘in perpetuity’

www.gov.uk

UK meets £250m match aid target into COVAX, the global vaccines facility

The UK has now mobilised $1 billion from global donors to support vulnerable countries to access coronavirus vaccines – stopping the spread of the disease.

www.bbc.co.uk

Covax: How many Covid vaccines have the US and the other G7 countries pledged?

As the US doubles its donation pledge, here's a look at how the Covax vaccine scheme is progressing.

www.gavi.org

United Kingdom

www.gov.uk

UK pledges urgent life-saving aid for families hit by coronavirus and hunger around the world

The UK is releasing new emergency aid to help over 1.3 million vulnerable people in some of the world’s most dangerous places.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I think that is the one thing that would cause the population to turn on the government, the vaccine rollout is a much needed win for them.

Would it be possible to offer the license to produce the vaccine around the world? I know they are producing the AZ vac in India, can't this be expanded to other nations?

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Instead of stopping vaccination, why not allow labs around the world with the capabilities to produce a surplus of vaccine to start working asap?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no politician in the world would agree to this (except, of course, for the ones in countries that would be on the receiving end of getting more doses).

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really not sure why, when the situation is so serious globally, that all available global capacity (without jeopardising other vital drugs) isn't being pushed to manufacture as many doses as possible.

And yeah, this might be the right thing to do morally speaking, but when you can't get people to care or empathise with people in their own community, I just can't see it ever coming to pass.

All it would take is one person missing out on a vaccine who then dies of covid, for any politician to start being asked some very difficult questions at home. In any country.

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With country borders being closed, no government is worried about their neighbors. The short-term future will be opening only to those who have vaccinated their populations.

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Realistically, this lockdown isn't ending until way more of the population gets vaccinated and that means not going back to work for millions of people who can't WFH (including myself). So the UK shouldn't be halting the vaccination programme, nor should the WHO be even suggesting such a thing.

Helping to get other labs set up to produce vaccines for the various companies is the way to go, not telling countries to halt. I'm sure there's plenty of current labs and empty locations that can be brought up to scratch for even more production.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Is there some sort of global conspiracy to say stupid shit to make the terrible Tories look like good guys this week or something?

You can have the best intentions in the world, but when you say something like this out loud and seriously, people are just gonna label you a complete idiot and not listen to you as much in future. The WHO didn't exactly play a blinder on all this around about this exact time last year. "Chinese seat of power says its sorry about the cover up, no biggie!"

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if the WHO wasn't incompetent throughout this pandemic we all wouldn't be in this situation.

Anyways it seems like leaving a bunch of unvaccinated people in your country is a great way to have virus mutations that hurt vaccine efficiency. If you vaccinate your country first you can at least open up borders with other countries that are also vaccinated or that controlled the outbreak in the beginning(ex. NZ, AUS).

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Tories have fucked up everything. And the one thing they've got right they're told they've done too well and need to stop lmao.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
Realistically, this lockdown isn't ending until way more of the population gets vaccinated and that means not going back to work for millions of people who can't WFH (including myself). So the UK shouldn't be halting the vaccination programme, nor should the WHO be even suggesting such a thing.

Helping to get other labs set up to produce vaccines for the various companies is the way to go, not telling countries to halt. I'm sure there's plenty of current labs and empty locations that can be brought up to scratch for even more production.

The WHO only has so much funding, they are trying their best to have more production but their options are limited and wealthy countries are not giving enough.

They don't intend to have the UK to entirely stop forever, the WHO wants everyone to get vaccinated and it helps more to vaccinate ALL the people that are at risk rather than all the healthy and low-risk people too. It is the right suggestion, and I think all low-risk people should advocate for delaying their vaccine so that they can go to other people at risk.

Maybe if the WHO wasn't incompetent throughout this pandemic we all wouldn't be in this situation.

Anyways it seems like leaving a bunch of unvaccinated people in your country is a great way to have virus mutations that hurt vaccine efficiency. If you vaccinate your country first you can at least open up borders with other countries that are also vaccinated or that controlled the outbreak in the beginning(ex. NZ, AUS).

I do not see how the WHO has been incompetent. It is not realistic to expect they could have contained the spread.

Mutations will still take place in other countries and COVID-19 does not respect borders. It is no reason for vaccinating everyone in a single country.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the last few days this has gotten bizarre. We been told our vaccine is borderline useless for some groups, then had article 16 invoked over demand for that same vaccine that apparently wasn't good enough, and now we're vaccinating too quickly and should stop, despite just yesterday having our future supplies threatened due to the failing of a company to fulfill deals.

Genuinely having a hard time keeping up at this point tbh.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know who runs the WHO's comm department, but they just haven't been able to get it together during this crisis.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
When are we expecting the vulnerable groups to all be vaccinated? The case and death numbers are still pretty bad now. What WHO is too vague.