• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought this was pretty cool. 15 bucks a month and you can play a whole lotta games.

This doesn't sound familiar at all...

EzOF2AMUUAAbpYa

BlockBuster.png

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Your weekend is not compete unless you spend $80 on a whole bunch of popcorn, candy, and cokes and rent all your games for 10 days.

Oh yeah...your friend doesn't have an Xbox, so you better put a huge deposit down on that.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't but I remember that very well.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did when I worked at one, but we lived in the boonies so the selection of games was always shit / small so only did it every once in a while.

Oct 27, 2017
I did this during the summer and winter breaks, yeah. You'd get through all the great games you missed and yes, you would occasionally decide to buy a game if you kept playing it a million times.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it was a spin-off of this exact same deal, but I remember Blockbuster near me used to have this summer game deal where you could have two games rented out at all times for the whole summer for a flat fee. It was pretty great. Finish a game and take it back for another.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Blockbuster being written as two words is causing all kinds of alarms to go off in my head right now, pls fix for my sanity lol

In all seriousness though, I went to Blockbuster weekly growing up but only for movies. I had no idea this was a thing. Pretty cool.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was a good deal if the location had the latest games regularly in stock.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Yooo, I knew I wasn't the only one who remembered this! This was how I found out about Okami as a kid.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I used to love Blockbuster's Game Pass. Played so many OG Xbox & PS2 games thanks to it

wild_fire

Oct 27, 2017
I remember doing this over a few summers as a kid. It was such a novel and cool idea at the time.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't very sustainable was it?

No, but companies weren't pumping out hundreds of disc games every month, Blockbuster didn't have exclusive deals, and there was a limited amount of rentals to go around. The same was true of Game Fly.

A digital service only has the problem of the lineup needing a refresher and as long as it's headlined by a bunch of high-value games, it will always be relevant.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I somehow forgot Blockbuster made it to the Wii years.

That seems like a really good deal. I don't really remember what rental costs normally were anymore, but I imagine you save money after the second or third rental.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Used this for years for my PS3, every time when I would visit my father I'd get to choose my game for the weekend.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I had this for a few months after I got my $99 GameCube. Pretty sure I didn't even own a GC game for quite a while.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Man, we used to put this shit to the test. They had to hate us because we would bring back games that were wack after an hour or so. Sometimes multiple times in a day until we found something good. I could have sworn it was $20 and would let you have 2 games out at a time, but my memory could be playing tricks on me.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
It was a good deal in theory, but the store closest to me never had the games I wanted, so GameFly it was for me. As long as you left your queue empty and only had the game you wanted you got the game on GameFly pretty much at release, in my experience. Add in Netflix and my family stopped visiting our local store pretty much at all.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Towards the end I think it was around $8.99 for a five day game rental right? Not this game pass thing obviously.

As much as I miss the weekly aimless waltz around the local video store while wrestling with choice paralysis can't say I miss the prices. I do have fond memories of a mom n pop operation during the vhs days I went to all the time that let you rent five "second run" (non new release) titles for $5 for five days. So dollar rentals basically. It was wonderful.

Jul 1, 2020
Pretty ahead of its time but it relied on your local store actually having enough copies of the games you want. GameFly took ages to swap games but unless the game was brand new they probably had a copy of the next game in your Q.