• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Game Freak vs Sonic Team

• Game Freak

Votes: 461 39.1%
  • Sonic Team

Votes: 719 60.9%

• Total voters

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Sonic's problem isn't 3D, because the 2D sections in these Sonic games are easily the worst parts of those games. Like the physics and level design are just plain awful compared to classic Sonic/Mania. Visually and technically, 3D Sonic games are quite good.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't a big fan of Sword and Shield, but it's a fine enough game. The worst you can say about mainline Pokémon titles is that some have been unambitious and lacking in content. But Shadow the hedgehog? 06? Black Knight? These are legitimately poorly made games.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I can't believe that there are people seriously thinking Sonic Team has struggled less than Gamefreak like the only thing they have over GF is graphics everything else sucks

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Specifically with the transition to 3D, easily Sonic Team. They still struggle with making good Sonic games in the 3D space, with Generations and Colors being the only ones that were generally good, whereas Game Freak didn't suffer nearly as much since the Pokemon formula still works in 3D (though their general ambition has generally declined since X/Y's release).

However, Game Freak's struggles, specifically in HD development, are more prone to being scrutinized, since they are the primary developer of games in the highest-grossing media franchise in the world. The scrutiny is honestly well-deserved, too; their recent output is miles behind their contemporaries in the JRPG space, and it seems like they lack both ambition and overall competence as a developer. They're basically approaching a AAA franchise like a D-tier developer, and it's pretty sad to see.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about 3D Pokemon games gameplay-wise would be fixed by reverting back to 2D. Meanwhile it took Sonic Team multiple generations of 3D hardware to get to a genuinely good game with Sonic Colors and Generations.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
The way I see it what´s hurting GF is the change from handheld to console, they basically, (almost never) worked on console. The 3DS games were good, Sega doesn´t have that excuse, they been primarily stationary console for a while.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the 3D aspects of Pokémon are, essentially, aesthetics. 3D Pkmn is still the same as the 2D games. For examples, battles don't involve positioning in 3D space or anything.

Sonic in 3D is fundamentally different from the 2D titles. Quality of those mechanics aside, some Sonic titles have been on par with contemporary video games. Stuff like Unleashed and Generations look good for when they came out.

I'd still be somewhat inclined to say Sonic Team has struggled more, but mostly because they've actually attempted to transition Sonic gameplay to 3D. Game Freak hasn't really attempted to take advantage of the unique aspects of 3D gameplay-wise outside of the Wild Area in SwSh, and that's still pretty negligible.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I love 3D Sonic, well, I love Adventure, Generations and Colors, but games like Heroes are extremely buggy and not "haha rby buggy right" but like actual get in your way bugs. And 06 is even worse.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Sonic at least had some decent 3D games early on, and it's style had to change the most by going 3D. GF's 3D outings have been so weak that I'd legit rather they go back to 2D; they don't really use it to elevate the series in any way. The battles still look basic with minimum animation, the field isn't effected by the battle, and the models themselves are pretty lifeless, even the overworld is barely changed. Sonics quality shot down after Adventure 2, but I think they did a way better job elevating the series with 3D than mainline Pokemon games ever have.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand the poll, 3D Pokemon's main issues are graphical. They transitioned the classic gameplay into 3D fine, but that's kind of the other issue, not enough innovation. But with Sonic team it's the complete opposite, so what are we comparing?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I mean, you answered it

1455156035972501831.png

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
With the exception of Sword and Shield DLC that I haven't played (and I guess the Wild Area, but I can't give a flat featureless land of nothing much credit), Game Freak's core design in 3D is essentially identical to their design in 2D, just with a change in perspective. Fixed camera angles, routes are still straight line paths highly sectioned off by trees or cliffs, the little ledges that you can only jump down, etc. It's sort of like calling A Link Between Worlds a 3D Zelda. Technically true, but its core design is still firmly planted in its 2D roots, even if it has a 3D presentation. I will give them credit for moving away from grids with Sun and Moon, but not much more than that.

Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Generations, and Sonic Colors are all decent to good 3D Sonic games. I wouldn't say it's 3D that's the culprit for bad Sonic games, just an abundance of poor ideas and execution on Sonic Team's part.

Sonic Team is unquestionably the worse developer, but to answer the thread I guess I would say Game Freak. They've yet to have their Mario 64 or OoT moment and fully embrace 3D design. Legends appears to be the first full game with that, so I'm hopeful that it goes well.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Game Freak's 3D efforts so far maybe don't look stellar but they function just fine.

Sonic Team had dysfunctional games YEARS into their 3D efforts.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think the Pokemon 3D games have been fine, if not a bit unremarkable. I've never liked any of the 3D Sonic games I've played, including Generations.

Oct 25, 2017
There has never been a good sonic 3d game so game freak are better by default
Every user here will be long dead before we even get a 7/10 3D Sonic game.
I know these are drive-bys and these kinds of posts never respond to counter points (I'd love to be wrong though!) but between SA1/2/Colors/Generations, we've legit had at least 4 3D Sonic games that reviewed well on release and were overall critically well received.

Like I get that these games may not be your thing, but does it help your case at all needing to reinvent history saying stuff like "there's never been a good/7-out-of-10 game" when that's factually not the case?

With that said, GF clearly wins the battle here, even if their games are boring as hell to me and I'm barely interested in them. Despite the peaks, lows are just too low for Sonic, compared to Pokemon which has never released a title in an alpha state or given your main character a gun just for funzies.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
Being visually unimpressive or lacking content =/= bad transition to 3D. Game Freak didn't make multiple games with craptastic cameras, badly shoehorned in gameplay mechanics (combat, guns, vehicles, the Werehog) or bugs galore.

Deleted member 44122

all the pokemon games are fun, the 3d sonic ones not so much

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA

Sonic Colors

An extraordinary amusement park has been seen orbiting around the home planet of Sonic the Hedgehog, and rumors are spreading that an alien race of Wisps, who have a unique colorful energy, are being held captive there by the evil Dr. Eggman. Soon after arriving at the amusement park, Sonic...

Sonic Generations

Set across three defining eras from 20 years of Sonic the Hedgehog video game history, the instantly recognisable environments of Sonic Generations have been re-built in stunning HD and are now playable in both classic side scrolling 2D from 1991, as well as modern 3D style found in Sonic's most...
Colors & Generations say hi. Hell, even the daytime levels in Unleashed were great.
Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors are great games
What about Colors and Generations?
Era be like

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I know these are drive-bys and these kinds of posts never respond to counter points (I'd love to be wrong though!) but we've legit had at least 4 3D Sonic games that reviewed well on release and were overall critically well received.

Like I get that these games may not be your thing, but does it help your case at all needing to reinvent history saying stuff like "there's never been a good/7-out-of-10 game" when that's factually not the case?

With that said, GF clearly wins the battle here, even if their games are boring as hell to me and I'm barely interested in them. Despite the peaks, lows are just too low for Sonic, compared to Pokemon which has never released a title in an alpha state or given your main character a gun just for funzies.

I don't really care about review scores. To me, no 3D Sonic games could give the same kind of joy that Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles (and Sonic 3 & Knuckles) provided. More than that, a lot of them either made me very bored, or physically sick.

So yeah, to me the Sonic games definitely struggled a lot more with the transition to 3D.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
With the exception of Sword and Shield DLC that I haven't played (and I guess the Wild Area, but I can't give a flat featureless land of nothing much credit), Game Freak's core design in 3D is essentially identical to their design in 2D, just with a change in perspective. Fixed camera angles, routes are still straight line paths highly sectioned off by trees or cliffs, the little ledges that you can only jump down, etc. It's sort of like calling A Link Between Worlds a 3D Zelda. Technically true, but its core design is still firmly planted in its 2D roots, even if it has a 3D presentation. I will give them credit for moving away from grids with Sun and Moon, but not much more than that.

Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Generations, and Sonic Colors are all decent to good 3D Sonic games. I wouldn't say it's 3D that's the culprit for bad Sonic games, just an abundance of poor ideas and execution on Sonic Team's part.

Sonic Team is unquestionably the worse developer, but to answer the thread I guess I would say Game Freak. They've yet to have their Mario 64 or OoT moment and fully embrace 3D design. Legends appears to be the first full game with that, so I'm hopeful that it goes well.

For me, the more the industry changes away from a lot of these things, the more I don't want them to change in Pokemon. By being conservative, Pokemon ends up in a place where nothing else really plays like it. And I think variety of experiences is more important than ambition.

Game Freak seems to agree which is why we are getting the more ambitious Legends with the DP remakes (which brings back random battles and I'm happy about that, since I love random battles.)

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how Game Freak had a super rough time?

Did they do it the way everyone wanted? 'Course not.

That said the last several games have tons of people who love and adore them where even most Sonic fans will argue that shit like 06, Lost Worlds, and Unleashed are trash.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about review scores. To me, no 3D Sonic games could give the same kind of joy that Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles (and Sonic 3 & Knuckles) provided. More than that, a lot of them either made me very bored, or physically sick.
Hey a response!

I mean I totally get that. I just get frustrated with the usual "was never good" rhetoric that plagues Sonic topics, where the same black/white mentality spills over into the 3D game discussion (or lack thereof).

For example, BotW even after 20 hours in simply bored me and I had to put it down. But I would never say it was a bad game or the Switch never had good 3D Zelda. It just wasn't my thing. I just wish people would articulate this instead of the three word post drive-by speaking in absolutes.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Game Freak makes more stable games but they're also completely lacking ambition. Sun & Moon has been the only mainline Pokemon game I've played since Gen 5 since all their other output has been wholly uninteresting. X&Y still looked and played like a 2D game (this was extremely disappointing to me when I first saw it) and Sword & Shield doesn't really have a hook to it outside of the Wild Area. At least Sun & Moon finally created a proper 3D space to explore, which is why I got it and enjoyed it. I also appreciated the change in structure it had with Pokemon Gyms being replaced by trials. I just want Game Freak to do more, and I really hope Legends turns out well since it's probably their most divergent effort from the series staples to date.

In comparison, I still love Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 to this day, Sonic Heroes, Unleashed (sorta), and Colors are fun, and Generations is amazing. There are definitely some stinkers among the 3D titles, but I like how Sonic Team actually was willing to take risks even if it didn't always pan out. Sonic '06 is such a magnificent dumpster fire that it's still talked about 15 years later, and there's something I can sorta respect about that. Compare that to the reception a mediocre game like Sonic Forces got. Like, who even talks about that game anymore? Heck, it's the first mainline Sonic game I didn't purchase because it did absolutely nothing special. I don't want Sonic to be stagnant like Pokemon feels right now even if the games are technically better, and if future games take cues from Forces then my interest in the series will likely continue to wane.

And frankly, the problems with Sonic mostly came from Sega going 3rd-party as opposed to Sonic going 3D.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how Game Freak had a super rough time?

Did they do it the way everyone wanted? 'Course not.

That said the last several games have tons of people who love and adore them where even most Sonic fans will argue that shit like 06, Lost Worlds, and Unleashed are trash.

Compared to Sonic Team, Gamefreak had no trouble, but I explained in my earlier comment that they had a rough time in terms of actual technical ability and in actually region/level design actually using 3D in any meaningful way.

In terms of technical design, they'd had trouble with their games looking fairly simplistic, having low poly models, low quality textures, poor lighting, etc.

In terms of gameplay, pretty much all the 3DS games were flat or used tiered topography like the 2D games. They arguably didn't actually design 3D worlds till the Wild Area, but Legends looks to be a big improvement (hopefully it isn't empty)

CerMakAlot

Feb 27, 2019
Tough comparison, but an interesting question.

Haven't played the 3D Pokemon games, but I feel like not nailing what's essentially a lite 3D RPG is far more inexcusable. Surely, there's plenty of examples for them to follow?

Translating the 2D Sonic gameplay to 3d on the other hand seems like a much harder nut to crack.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Young me LOVED Sonic Adventure 2, but it's very clear that Sonic Team really struggled in figuring out how to do Sonic in 3D.

Game Freak's 3D strategy is the equivalence of if Sonic Team has made Sonic 4 on Dreamcast and it was just a new 2D Sonic game with CG graphics. Sun/Moon's problem is they tried to both maintain the original Pokemon flavour and add in a big modern open world. That's not an issue with 3D, it's an issue with intent.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Compared to Sonic Team, Gamefreak had no trouble, but I explained in my earlier comment that they had a rough time in terms of actual technical ability and in actually region/level design actually using 3D in any meaningful way.

In terms of technical design, they'd had trouble with their games looking fairly simplistic, having low poly models, low quality textures, poor lighting, etc.

In terms of gameplay, pretty much all the 3DS games were flat or used tiered topography like the 2D games. They arguably didn't actually design 3D worlds till the Wild Area, but Legends looks to be a big improvement (hopefully it isn't empty)
Honestly 808's I hadn't seen it as I was largely responding to the Op.

In regards to what you said, I can kinda get it? I don't think the simplistic look was full a technical hurdle. Maybe that played a bit into it, but I never got the impression they had wanted to go that much further, or that they aimed for higher and technical issues held them back/was hard on them.

That said the gameplay systems I think is much more something I can agree on and happy to see/hear that it looks as though Legends is taking a step forward in world design.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Sonic's early 3D games were some of my favorites as a kid. They may be spotty, but no way I'm gonna disrespect my childhood by saying they're worse than Pokemon Sword/Sheild! Way more ambitious and fun than that derivative game.

I will go to my grade saying Sonic's early 3D outings surpass the latest Pokemon games.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Pokemon at least adheres to a formula that ensures a base level of competence in their games, even though the 3D games are underwhelming and frequently undercooked they're never an outright mess like virtually every 3D Sonic. Tbh Sun and Moon were one 'skip cutscene' function away from being great entries. Sonic on the other hand tries to re-invent the wheel in a way nobody asked for in practically every entry, makes some buggy-ass unfinished mess that does nothing to conjure the feel of the classic entries in the franchise

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
In regards to what you said, I can kinda get it? I don't think the simplistic look was full a technical hurdle. Maybe that played a bit into it, but I never got the impression they had wanted to go that much further, or that they aimed for higher and technical issues held them back/was hard on them.
Yeah, part of it was an intentional style, but you can still do simplistic, but technically solid. I look at Animal Crossing: New Horizons as a game with really simple designs, but the animations, texture/material work, and lighting all make it look really good. I think the Pokemon games are still missing those extra details.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Sun and Moon are the best looking Pokémon games and they're 3D on top of being among my favorites, I'll never share the feeling they have struggled with 3D as that seems more of a nitpick a small subset of players has

Shiny Man

Nov 18, 2020
Loulé
I think this really needs to be broken down into 2 categories. Technical and Gameplay

Technical Transition - whether they've grasped the actual tech involved in making 3D games

Sonic Team
- Sonic Adventure looked REALLY good for its time and while those games had some jank, it wasn't jank outside the norm of other 3D platformers for the most part. And then we have games like Generations which are legit nice looking games

Gamefreak - pretty much all of their 3D games have been technically underwhelming and looked worse than their contemporaries on their systems. While they've been ok for the most part, performance wise, aside from in some areas (3D battles, wild area w/ online), they aren't really doing anything with the HW. SwSh looked incredibly poor for a Switch title, with super short culling distances resulting in significant pop up in towns, and the cameras were mostly fixed in the vast majority of the game. The DLC changed this, but again it still looked fairly underwhelming. Legends looks better, but considering the other open world titles on the Switch, it again follows the trend of being far behind its contemporaries

Gameplay Transition - whether they've successfully translated their 2D games into 3D, and taken advantage of that third dimension

Sonic Team
- here's where the problems really crop up. I'd argue that they actually did a good job with Adventure's Sonic stages. Adding stuff like grind rails to keep up speed were a good touch, the homing attack to get over aiming the spindash in 3D was also a good idea too, and I generally liked the momentum based movement.

However they seemed to drop all this in favor of Boost mechanics which ended up completely ruining the level design in favor of just making what were essentially roller coasters. They've improved on it a bit, in terms of allowing Sonic to drift and making him more mobile, but they've never quite captured the 2D Sonic feel. And then there's all the other characters aside from Sonic which don't need to be discussed...

Gamefreak - this is a mixed bag. On one hand you can say the games made the transition well. XY was basically designed like the 2D games, just fully polygonal and not grid based. Battles obviously got the biggest boost with the 3D camera allowing them to make more dynamic scenes and move animations. And Pokemon, despite the oversaturated textures of the 3DS games benefit from 3D by allowing them to have more varied animations other than just idling, and stuff like form changes that would've been harder with sprites.
In terms of the actual world design, I think that's where they've largely failed. I'd argue none of the 3DS games really were designed like 3D games should be. The topography was flat with XY literally just using tiered ledges like the 2D games and while SuMo had some ramps and stuff, every town was completely flat. SwSh fixed this a little, but routes became increasingly linear so there really was no benefit to moving to 3D. We have the Wild Area which has rectified a lot of these issues by actually looking like a 3 dimensional space with varied elevation and topography and Legends seems to be following this, so it's at least trending upwards

Overall
I'd have to give it to Gamefreak. While their games have been dumbed down, they still retain most of the feel of the 2D games, which can't be said for Sonic. However, Sonic Team arguably had a much harder task than Gamefreak in translating the gameplay over
Good post.

The adventures are legit good games, especially for the time, and actually evolved the gameplay of the classics. 3D Pokémon is the exact same thing as 2D Pokémon but way worse. Only thing they got going for them is that they never releasing unplayable messes like 06 and Boom.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Both are bad transitioning from 2D to 3D

At least Sonic had two great games - adventure 2 and generations while there were a few okay games like lost world and forces (which I enjoyed still)

The Pokemon games after fifth gen were still good but not as memorable or great as the 2d games

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
gamefreak games after the 3D leap were at worst pretty meh

sonic 06 is a disaster on every level