• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Ocarina of Time the Greatest Game of All Time?

• Yes: I thought so 20 years ago and I still do today

Votes: 428 30.1%
  • Yes: I was late to the party and it became my GOAT

Votes: 47 3.3%
  • No: I thought so 20 years ago but it has been dethroned

Votes: 366 25.7%
  • No: It was not the best when it released and it is still not the best

Votes: 582 40.9%

• Total voters

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To me, it still is the best Zelda game. And Zelda is one of the best video game franchises. GOAT? I dunno, but it is definitely still up there. The game mechanics are tight and the whole pacing of the game is absolutely excellent. Nothing really has changed about that imo.
The only thing that really aged is the performance which is why I definitely prefer the 3DS version these days.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
It's a really fantastic game, but it doesn't even crack my top 3 for 1998 (MGS, Thief, and Xenogears, in case you were wondering), let alone for all time.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
It was never the GOAT. It was extremely influential and what it did for 3D gaming was monumental, but the impact it made doesn't make it a GOAT.

It's not even the best Zelda game on the 64, and definitely not the best Zelda in the franchise. It's still a very good game, but not the goat.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of nostalgia there's nothing OoT does in terms of gameplay, or the design that hasn't been surpassed elsewhere.

The medium has advanced. Some people will say OoT is the best game 20yrs from now, just because it's Zelda OoT.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
GOAT is, was and has always been a misnomer anyway. "Of All Time". As if nothing could ever surpass something. Anything can be surpassed. Opinions as subjective as they are, are always changing with the times. New fans enter, old fans leave. I always thought GOAT was used as a joke on the internet, or at least in a cheeky kind of nudge nudge way rather than something serious? Also those poll options are...lacking in any kind of real discussion.

But to be honest, I still think OoT is fantastic, at least when I played it on the 3DS a few years ago. Still held up for me. There is beauty in its simplicity. Majora's Mask just feels too complex for me.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
On paper it's easy for future games to quantifiably exceed games like Ocarina of Time.

They aren't Ocarina of Time though.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
It's still Top 10 for me but I think early 3D games have become dated in many ways compared to their contemporaries. Accounting for impact and quality at the time of release I think there is still a valid case for it but I don't think I'll put it there anymore.

OP
OP
Servbot24

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So far I'm actually surprised this many people voted yes. Out of all the games in the world, 30% agreeing on a single game is an overwhelmingly high percentage. I thought more people might have moved on to new #1s.

(Very tiny sample size of course)

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's now tied with BotW as my GOAT, so it's not the clear cut winner that it used to be before 2017, but still a deeply influential masterpiece.

Oct 27, 2017
I still think its tied for best Zelda game next to LTTP and for many years I used to think it was the best game ever made. Nowadays, I put Chrono Trigger on that throne of GOAT.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
OoT was dethroned by BOTW. It gave me the same joy, the same happiness I had when I first played OoT, and has the same impact in the general gaming mindshare IMO. I adore both equally, but I have to give BOTW the edge.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
It's not my PERSONALY favorite game of all time.

But if I had to explain to an alien why video games are enjoyed in two games, I would give them Tetris and OoT.

Sure, it's a bit flawed here and there - and over time, some games have done the dungeon explorer a bit better. But it was a revelation at the time, and games today exist because of what Zelda accomplished with that game. it was a monumental accomplishment building that level of exploration, combat, variety, gameplay, environments, and story into a complete package with an excellent introduction and exceptional conclusion littered with phenomenal puzzles throughout. Outside of performance and maybe some nit-picks with enemy engagements and the water temple, I think it would still easily score a 9/10 or 10/10 on most sites today.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Played it for the first time in 2011 (original, got the remake later) and I'd still say it's the GOAT personally. It's the best Zelda (only tied with SS for me) and it's just a really well balanced game, the pacing/story/etc is great.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
GOAT at the time no doubt. I think it and Mario 64 and by far the greatest anticipation of games I've ever had. I read the magazines with articles about them over and over and over before they came out. I got OOT for Christmas and played it nonstop over Christmas break as a what 15 year old?

Like pretty much all games you can make strong cases that it has been surpassed by many games. But I'll never look forward to another game as much as I did that one and Mario 64. And I would say upon its release goat status for the time would have been a very common borderline consensus.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
For me personally it never surpassed Link To The Past, and was bettered by Wind Waker and especially BOTW.

I absolutely get why it's regarded as a GOAT and am glad folks can enjoy it, but it never really clicked for me the way the original LOZ, LTTP or BOTW did.

Jul 7, 2021
Like Super Mario 64 before it was a disappointment after seeing all the changes made compared to early magazine previews. Still, I became a fan of the game since the 3DS release. Greatest of all-time? Definitely not, but it is a very solid entry in the franchise in retrospect, even the N64 original.

(The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is IMO the G.O.A.T.)

Binhoker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Playing that game as a late teen, stoned as shit, back when I could enjoy such things, was a near religious experience.

Honestly some transcendent stuff. Never really felt like with any game since.

But it was very much a time and place thing, I'll never play it again, but I'll sure as shit fire up the soundtrack the odd time.

So I don't know how to answer the poll basically.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
For as much it as it still serves as the kernel for 3D action game design decades later where the concepts have been iterated upon so much, it still holds up remarkably well. Like with Mario 64 it's especially amazing to look back and see how much they nailed on the early go around in that nascent period of 3D games that's littered with so many failed experiments or outmoded designs. Then you have something like the 3DS remake that shows much the fundamentals of the game and the things specific to it are timeless when the aesthetics are retouched.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely incredible for its time and laid the foundation for action adventure games that came after it, but these days it's a bit clunky and shows it's age due to how much has happened with similar games since then.

A great game showing its age isn't a bad thing, it just shows that it had a lot of impact and inspired other it iterate in what it did.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
oot was sick as fuck in 1998, but i still preferred alttp then and oot is my 4th favorite zelda now.

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Back then for sure, now? Not even the best "modern" Zelda game.

Still is one of the greats though

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
Super Metroid came out 4 years before and Metroid Prime came 4 years after. Not the GOAT

<Insert avatar quote here>

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
I think it's my favorite Zelda game. The pacing is very good even if mechanics or its N64ness haven't aged as well.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an excellent game but it's not the best zelda game. It is significantly better than beath of the wild though.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't vote cause none of the options really seem right to me. I still think it's one of the best games ever made considering when it released and when you take that into context I still think it's one of the best games ever even though other games have gone beyond it scale and feature wise

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
In terms of the confluence of 'important to the industry' and 'popular' and 'innovative' and 'good' I think it's only competition is Mario 64 and SMB.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ocarina on N64 is unplayable by today standards but in my childhood it was the GOAT. The updated version right now is still one of the best of all time.

To me the version of 20 years ago was replaced by the 3DS remake that has a good framerate and emulates quite well.

Feb 16, 2018
it's one of the few singleplayer games that deserved high scores because it was a leap forward in terms of design

but a single player game without replayability can never be the GoaT. that would be fundamentally misunderstanding what gaming offers as a medium

the GoaT would be something like quake 3 arena or rise of nations. something that's like the soccer/basketball or chess/go of video games, and not just an ephemeral experience

if there was a RPG where your choices mattered and didn't completely suck in some way, that could also be a candidate. maybe in the future there will be one

Oct 28, 2017
It is a masterwork of gaming with the best most satisfying ending of any game I have ever beaten.

Ocarina of time is still the best video game I have ever played.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I'll never argue with anyone who puts Ocarina of Time as the best game ever made. Even with its less polished aspects, it's still one of the most incredibly ambitious and rewarding games for its time, and still holds up till this day.

With the above being said, Resident Evil 4 is my personal pick for best game ever made. I'm not trying to argue with anyone for my opinion, but it still has one of the most perfectly paced, content rich, and ultra replayable campaigns in gaming...and it's in the top 5 most influential games ever setting the foundation for modern third person game design.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
It still is my greatest experience with a video game, and that will not likely change since I have gotten older and more "been there done that" about everything.

Comparing it today with other Zelda games though, or other games in general? Well, it has to be the 3DS version first of all. And I still think it's the best Zelda story with the best pacing and possibly best music. It's THE Zelda game. And Zelda is my favorite game series.

To me it's the most magical game, but I can't possibly compare it to modern games due to the nostalgia I have for it.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
To me it was a huge technical achievement of moving LttP into 3D but even given that I still prefer the latter as a game. OoT is still top 10 material for me though.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Very impressive results for OoT.

Dunno if any game can get 35% here if you were to ask if it is the GOAT. Maybe BotW.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
We talking as compared to all other Zeldas or all games in general?

When only looking at Zelda games, it was, but not any longer

When compared to all games, it never was.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
it had a pretty large impact but its extremely dated both when it comes to design and also technically

I personally wouldnt really even reccomend it to someone unless they were hardcore, zelda fans or just looking for some retro games to play.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer Majora's Mask to be honest. However, OoT was undeniably a watershed moment for the industry and deserves the respect it gets.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
It's hanging by a thread against Botw but the more concise nature gives it better replayability which keeps it at the top for me.
As much as I love botw, it's a hard game to replay.

PS: no other series even comes close to these 2