• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who should pay?

• Students

Votes: 129 45.3%
  • Parents

Votes: 156 54.7%

• Total voters

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A friend's parents offered to pay for his first year and last year. That way if he found college wasn't for him, he wouldn't start out adult life in debt. And if he did see it through, he'd only have to pay for 2-3 years of schooling which he could do with the job provided by his college degree.

The government offering something like that might be a good half-step over the short term and gain more support than totally free education right out of the gate. It would be a big help and also provide some bootstrappiness for the folks big on that.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Government should pay for basic education. Students can pay the added cost of specialty education (i.e. beyond a 4 year degree, or 4 year degrees at extravagant colleges)

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
Ideally students and parents should both contribute if possible as the continued success of the family should be the goal if there are no other support structures.

But really it should be in the government's interest to keep a well educated population.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The state. We are expected to contribute to the wealth of the country so they should be affording everyone an education in order for us to do that

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If not the government, then parents.

Parents are the ones who put pressure on kids to go to college or higher, go into debt, chase this degree etc...

At 18-22 you have no idea how life works, how the job market works and all that yet you are 5-6 figures in debt.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Paying for your kids education is not practical in some places, like the United States. Only the very rich would be allowed to reproduce.

These are your options right now:
- Move to another country.
- Don't have kids.
- Accept the fact that your kid will never access any job that requires higher education.
- Accept the fact your kid will start their life with crippling debt.

I'm not being facetious, these are literally your only options. Choose wisely.

You're welcome, Mr. new ignore list member.

Aug 30, 2020
These are your options right now:
- Move to another country.
- Don't have kids.
- Accept the fact that your kid will never access any job that requires higher education.
- Accept the fact your kid will start their life with crippling debt.

I'm not being facetious, these are literally your only options. Choose wisely.

You're welcome, Mr. new ignore list member.

Wow you are very privileged aren't you? I find this sort of bullshit incredibly offensive. Saying people like myself shouldn't have been born and can't have kids?

Moving to another country isn't cheap. Just because people cannot afford luxury that you experienced doesn't mean they should be denied children.

htf does someone get away with saying 'poor people shouldn't have kids' on this place? Perhaps it wouldn't be so galling if you weren't saying 'only rich people should have kids'.

Last edited:

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
This is much more complicated issue than this poll reflects. The poll assumes that parents can actually afford to pay for their kids' college or even qualify for a student loan for their kids. And, (I know I am going to get shit for this statement) at what point does a child become an adult and take on responsibility of paying their own bills?

Let's talk about the real issue here regardless of who is picking up the tab -- be it parents, their kids or the government. The issue with the cost of college (in the U.S. at least) is that it wildly overpriced just like the cost of medical care and prescription drugs. But, unlike other types of debt, kids (and/or parents) become indebted for decades due to the exorbitant cost of tuition. The whole system needs to be overhauled. You have the universities overcharging for tuition in many cases to support their sports programs which bring the schools millions and millions of dollars of revenue with no direct benefit to the students. On top of that, you have the lenders charging insanely high interest, 3 or 4 times what the average mortgage rate is nowadays. Whether there is "free" tuition or not, there needs to be either zero interest rates on loans or very low, like 1 percent, loans. You should also be able to use the laws that protect people from creditors against student loan companies, including bankruptcy, which is not allowed to be used to discharge student loan debt in the U.S.

In full disclosure, my parents paid for my college and grad school and I will do so for my kids. But, not everyone, dare I say most people, are in a position to do that.

Last edited:
This is much more complicated issue than this poll reflects. The poll assumes that parents can actually afford to pay for their kids' college or even qualify for a student loan for their kids. And, (I know I am going to get shit for this statement) at what point does a child become an adult and take on responsibility of paying their own bills?

Let's talk about the real issue here regardless of who is picking up the tab -- be it parents, their kids or the government. The issue with the cost of college (in the U.S. at least) is that it wildly overpriced just like the cost of medical care and prescription drugs. But, unlike other types of debt, kids (and/or parents) become indebted for decades due to the exorbitant cost of tuition. The whole system needs to be overhauled. You have the universities overcharging for tuition in many cases to support their sports programs which bring the schools millions and millions of dollars of revenue with no direct benefit to the students. On top of that, you have the lenders charging insanely high interest, 3 or 4 times what the average mortgage rate is nowadays. Whether there is "free" tuition or not, there needs to be either zero interest rates on loans or very low, like 1 percent, loans. You should also be able to use the laws that protect people from creditors against student loan companies, including bankruptcy, which is not allowed to be used to discharge student loan debt in the U.S.

In full disclosure, my parents paid for my college and grad school and I will do so for my kids. But, not everyone, dare I say most people, are not in a position to do that.

The college basketball coach at a Big 10 school will dwarf the chancellor and provosts pay. It's crazy they're usually the highest paid public sector employees in a state. Sad world.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Government but it should be heavily regulated to avoid perverse interest.

College should be free but if government paid for it then you should not be able just fuck off and migrate to another country for X years.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
And, (I know I am going to get shit for this statement) at what point does a child become an adult and take on responsibility of paying their own bills?

This isn't a statement you should get shit for. It's a complicated question that I'm sure has many variables.

Like, my dad likes to pull out "He was 18, a grown adult" whenever he shits on media for bringing up shooting victims as "just a boy." Yet he kept me on as a 'dependent' for his taxes until I was 26 to take advantage of THAT.

The rest of your post was on point and well put.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I think most categories of cost should be covered by the state, with others primarily being the students' responsibility. I guess if parents can afford to help, that's nice.

bickieditches

Aug 5, 2018
As a student I would never ask my parents to pay for my education (though they did anyway). As a parent, there's no way in hell I'm letting my kid pay for their own education.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
Higher education should be funded by the government, and thus free for everyone. This lessens the class divide. The government should also offer grants and advantageous student loans to allow students to finance their own living without getting fucked over by debt.

That's how it works in my country. The grant part when I studied was, IIRC, about $200/month in today's money. I also think there's an age limit (mid-40s maybe?), because at some point you're expected to have built up enough capital.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Public education is free here in Austria, up to and including the university level. Parents are required to pay for the basic income and rent of their kids when they need to move to study (literally required to by law, and students could theoretically even sue them for this).

Randog

Oct 27, 2017
All of society benefits from a more educated populace. Education should be free. So should healthcare, food, housing, and all basic life needs. Having students or parents self-fund education leads to a situation where only rich people get educated (see: history, personal experience, whatever).

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
What's the point in the poll if it ignores the actually correct answer.

The state should pay for primary, secondary and higher education.

LilZippa

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
It's a benefit to all society that people are property educated to their maximum potential. Why don't we all agree to uplift anyone who is capable?

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone. There really shouldn't be a barrier of entry if people want to improve their lives.

Last edited:

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Government subsidies for 80-90% of students. Including room and board.

Parents *if* the family makes more than a certain amount, indexed to the cost of the school AND local cost of living.

At private institutions, the answer is still subsidies for most students, but the school and its donors have to fund them.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It should be income based. Poor people should be helped via the government. Rich people should have to pay for it.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a few issues with this poll. Even limiting the discussion to private, "government" should be an option. Also, different education levels may justify different payers (e.g. K-12 is clearly "government," while a doctorate in underwater basket weaving is much more weighted towards "student.")

Nobody.

Education should be free.
Somebody always pays.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
All of my college tuition was paid by the state of Florida, as long as I stayed in-state. I had to maintain certain academic criteria to keep it. I always thought this was a good system.

Parents helped out with housing the first year. Other than that, I covered the rest. I had saved most of my paychecks from working in my high school years (something I'm very glad my parents insisted on back then), so they kept me going for a while. After that, I got a job working in one of the labs in the bio department and did that for the remainder of my time. Didn't pay much, but enough that I never had to take out any loans to finish up undergrad (I was very strict with spending - perhaps the most valuable skill I learned during college).

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
There's a few issues with this poll. Even limiting the discussion to private, "government" should be an option. Also, different education levels may justify different payers (e.g. K-12 is clearly "government," while a doctorate in underwater basket weaving is much more weighted towards "student.")

Somebody always pays.
And people with higher education are more likely to be paying higher taxes and so paying for the next generation.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Edit: never mind, hadn't read through the thread properly.

It's a tough issue. It depends a lot on the kid too. I ideally parents should help pay for their kids' education as much as they're able, but not everyone is cut out for higher education. I can understand being hesitant to co-sign on tens of thousands of dollars in debt if your kid doesn't seem to know what they want to do after graduating and weren't particularly dedicated to their education in high school. The families financial situation can make a huge difference in the risk of different majors as well. If you're from a wealthy family it might make sense to major in something like literature. Maybe you dream of being a respected author, but if that doesn't pan out your parents have some connections at an advertising firm and can probably help you get an internship. On the other hand, if your parents work retail and would be financially devastated if they had to pay a majority of your loans if you ended up not being able to, then that looks extremely risky.

It's a complicated topic and the answer will vary wildly from person to person based on a huge number of factors. A two answer poll is frankly a ridiculous way to start a discussion about it.

Last edited:
All of my college tuition was paid by the state of Florida, as long as I stayed in-state. I had to maintain certain academic criteria to keep it. I always thought this was a good system.

Parents helped out with housing the first year. Other than that, I covered the rest. I had saved most of my paychecks from working in my high school years (something I'm very glad my parents insisted on back then), so they kept me going for a while. After that, I got a job working in one of the labs in the bio department and did that for the remainder of my time. Didn't pay much, but enough that I never had to take out any loans to finish up undergrad (I was very strict with spending - perhaps the most valuable skill I learned during college).

Florida's schools are so cheap, I believe a Pell Grant will cover tuition for four years. Bright Futures is the cherry on top.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Multi-billion dollar corporations who profit from having a skilled workforce should pay enough in taxes to fund the education that creates said workforce.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Depends. First all community colleges and state schools should be free. Second parents should help were they can, but that ain't a blank check. If little Timmy insists on going to an expensive out of state school for his undergrad than mom and dad shouldn't be obligated to foot the bill.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Education benefits society as a whole so the idea that the government should pay for or at least largely subsidize education makes the most sense.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
We're planning on paying for both of our kids college expenses. We started planning before they were born and stopped at only 2 children to ensure we could. Of course, we started earning more after that and we could have easily had 1-2 more kids and done the same for them but we didn't know that at the time and we always hedge to the conservative side when planning for our financial future.

I liked this method too:

I had a friend who's parents made him secure his own loans, which they co-signed for. After he graduated as a teacher, he putzed around for a few years doing odd jobs and not using his degree at all. The whole time he had a small home, car payments, and was paying his student loans as well. After maybe 4-5 years he got his poop in a group and started looking for teaching jobs. Once he secured a position, his parents immediately paid off all his student loan debt.

Even with our intention of paying for our kid's educations, they have been saving their own money ever since they can remember for college. They are going to save money from their summer jobs, apply for scholarships, and use every other trick in the book. They are 100% dedicated and it makes me proud. At age 12 & 13 if you ask my kids what they would do if they won the lotto, they say "Pay for our college so you guys don't have to".

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm mexican and while i guess there most be some cases where it doesnt happen, it's always expected for parents to take care of their sons/daughters education at least until they graduate from college. I know it's not the case in the states and students have to go into debt, sometime for many years in order to afford their own education.
How is it in other countries? Which way is the right way?

I know there's also public education but i want to focus on private here
It's not unusual for parents to pay for their children's college in the US.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The government, but baring that whoever can afford it. If your parents can't afford to pay you'll have to pay for it yourself, if they can, they should.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Ultimately yourself and part of the elite ownership class since they will take most of the benefits of those that ever exist.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
People should be able to have an opportunity to obtain an Associates Degree or a technical school education.
No, there should be more of an emphasis on giving students associates-degree-level education in high school. This notion that anyone should have to get "education" after 13 years in school is crazy. Sure, there're certainly fields and levels of expertise that require more education, but high school should be the start of that education in many cases(and should also teach students basic adult skills). I don't think the government should be responsible for paying people's tuition, but I do think people who want to further their education should be qualified for well-paying jobs right out of high school, and there should similarly be paths worked out that allow them to pursue those higher levels of education while also working within those same environments.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I actually like the way my student loans work in that it's basically a graduate tax and it's only a small amount of money each month based on my income over a certain amount and if I don't pay it off over a certain time because I don't earn enough for that to happen it gets written off. I feel better that way because I contribute to my education which I have benefited from and it's not a financial burden either. Statistically I will still earn a lot more than my non uni degree counterparts so I'm not sure if it's fully fair to place the tax burden on everyone equally and I don't feel unfairly penalised paying it but that's because it basically is a tax and it's proportional to what I earn so say if I lose my job tomorrow I don't have to worry about it.