• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who should be the playable protagonist in the sequel to Jedi: Fallen Order?

• Cal Kestis

Votes: 143 47.7%
  • Merrin

Votes: 78 26.0%
  • Cere Junda

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Greez Dritus

Votes: 19 6.3%
  • Someone New

Votes: 51 17.0%

• Total voters

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
5kPZqpY.png

Just finished Jedi: Fallen Order, and thought that the game introduced a number of really strong characters.

Cal: The progression for the first game was pretty strong, and turned Cal from a single-jumping, single-lightsaber, slow-climbing, no-diving chump into a scuba-enabled, free solo, force unleashed blademaster. I would rather avoid the trope of having to rebuild his abilities from the ground up a second time, but I do have some faith that Stig/Respawn could make it work. Maybe somehow he goes from knight to master, but...

..Merrin is my choice. In the short time she's with you, she has a great voice, a great design, unique abilities, and a fresh story. I think she's more of a clean slate than Cal, and would work both narratively and gameplay-wise in terms of building up force/lightsaber abilities while also having some unique flair when compared to Cal or Cere. The character's performance was perfect from beginning to end, and one of the biggest gaming surprises of 2019 was when she chose to join the team. I'd gladly take Merrin as the lead in a followup game.

Cere is a great character, but might suffer a little from the similar issue I have with Cal: would start out a little too strong & capable and I'm not sure where progression would go or how it would work. She could bring a different gameplay vibe given her brushes with the dark side, and so that could open things up a bit to keep powers fresh in a sequel. Alternatively, there's something about Cal that makes me -get- it when he falls down a bigass hole, but it's harder for me to imagine Cere missing a wall-jump-to-rope swing or getting absolutely smashed by some Bogano frog. Ultimately she's definitely a good character and -could- anchor a sequel, but I feel like we got her main arc in 1.

Greez. Okay, so I put him up there just for fun. But give him 4 blasters and suddenly you've got a Latero Edward Kenway. Give him the General Grievous treatment, let him save the galaxy one debt-collector at a time.

What do you guys think?

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Merrin would be the most fun, but she's not a jedi, so they'd probably have to make her become one because lightsabers. Asajj was a jedi padawan and a nightsister, so it wouldn't be outside the lore either. That being said, I think they'll just stick with Cal with Merrin the plucky side-kick/love interest.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Create-a-character or bust. The unappealing blandness of Cal is one of the reasons I never took the plunge on JFO.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Cal is the safest bet.

Merrin would be fun but unless they do some real story fuckery, she isn't a Jedi.

Cere would be interesting as well. Maybe have some struggle with the dark force powers and actually make it an option to go that route in the game.

Greez is just too awesome for any of us to control. But maybe he's like some crazy combatant that we never knew. You know how Bayonetta can use four guns/weapons? Give us an action game like that but with him. Do it, Respawn, you cowards!

But yeah, just let us make a character if anything. Also, go in deeper with the Souls influence or ditch it entirely. Also, put something more than just cosmetics in 99% of those loot boxes? Also, WHERE'S MY FORCE LIGHTNING AT?!

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
Taron Malicos is gonna break free from his magic prison and we're gonna play as him dual wielding sabers and hunting down Cal and Merrin.

Dathomir will be their grave!

That or a prequel where we play as Trilla hunting down Jedi or something, either or.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I would actually like multiple playable characters. I liked Cal and would enjoy playing as him again, but taking Merrin's powers for a test drive would be great. Nice to see a completely different take on force powers, and they could work in her magic for some creative co-op puzzles as well.

What I really want is a party-based RPG (current combat system is fine!) but I don't think that's gonna happen.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I actually really ended up liking Cal, so I really just want a direct sequel with Cal as the PC - or have multiple playable characters including Cal.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Merrin would be my choice but she's not a jedi so that kind of squashes that.

I'm sort of indifferent about Cal as a character. Didn't dislike him by any means but he didn't leave an impression.

I was pretty disappointed that
Cal destroyed the holocron at the end because more jedi would've been neat. It made sense that he'd destroy it, but selfishly I would've liked to have seen him create a new jedi order so we could get a new protagonist. I don't really know where they'd even go with a sequel, they didn't leave any loose ends at all.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
It's something completely different but I think they should do a "Sith: New Order" next.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cal and Merrin both, different levels for each maybe, completely different ability sets. Also wouldn't mind playing as an Inquisitor to hunt them down, as someone pitched in the OT.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Cal and BD-1 is an awesome duo, so I'll say Cal.

I was skeptical of Cal as the protagonist before playing the game, but I ended up liking him a lot.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer a time skip / different time period, it feels like most of the character and plot arcs have ended and there's little room left to explore. "Avenge us" doesn't really work as a plot point given what we know happens to Vader. Crossing too far into the movie character paths means a lot of treading water.

Can keep BD1 as the unifying factor. If Night Sisters live a long ass time, I'm good with Merrin.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Cal and Merrin stumble upon a force-sensitive kid and they both train them.

Game is about a badass fighting with a lightsaber in one hand and raising the dead with the other, trying to find their place in the world.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It should be Cal. It would be a bit ridiculous to have even more surviving Jedi, let alone force users, just running around in the Empire era. It kind of undermines the films, like where are all these people when Luke and the Rebels could use them?

That said they need to punch up the writing and dialog a lot more and improve the story and interactions. Cal wasn't the issue, it was the writing and undercooked plot and character interactions. The game lacked any real breathing room for the cast to really develop and interact with one another. The story proceeded at a pretty breakneck pace and things just happened without much lead-up or fallout. Cameron is a good actor, same for Debra, they need to give them more.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be fine with more Cal. He doesn't set the world on fire as a character or anything, but he's an inoffensive, easy to root for young Jedi with a sad backstory, which is what they were going for.

Nightsister Merrin's implementation was quite poor, even if I think the character herself seems cool. She joins the crew in the last hour of the game just so that she can disguise the Mantis and save Cal and Cere from drowning. You don't spend nearly enough time getting to know her. There's no progression there, there's no arc. They should've either had her join earlier on, or saved her for the sequel.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Merrin.

Kill everyone else. I mean it too, kill them all except Merrin, they're all boring or useless.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
I'd probably say one of the force sensitive children, a girl. That way you can kinda start fresh with the skills and mechanics. You'd have them meet the old crew in chapter 2 and go with everybody from there, maybe have chapters where you play Cal and depending on what they want to do with Cere have her playable at one point too.

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Merrin would be my choice but she's not a jedi so that kind of squashes that.

I'm sort of indifferent about Cal as a character. Didn't dislike him by any means but he didn't leave an impression.

I was pretty disappointed that
Cal destroyed the holocron at the end because more jedi would've been neat. It made sense that he'd destroy it, but selfishly I would've liked to have seen him create a new jedi order so we could get a new protagonist. I don't really know where they'd even go with a sequel, they didn't leave any loose ends at all.
Okay, so the whole time I was playing I was like "Cal is gonna die, and the mission is gonna fail." The game is canon and there's obviously no second coming on the Jedi between ROTS and ANH. I was happy he destroyed it, hopefully it means that we can come across some badass and not completely insane Jedi in the sequel

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
preferably a new protag that doesn't look like they shat their pants when they run.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I think Merrin was included to be a playable character in the sequel that's was my first thought when finishing off the game yesterday . But a mixture of all characters would suit me but I can't see it, in current format.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I like Cal, but he'd start the sequel at a really high power level. I'd prefer to make my own character, which would actually work with the story that is set up in the original. You start out as one of the force-sensitive children who comes into their own power and is recused and then taught by Cal and company.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Merrin was incredible. I want her to either have her own DLC, game, or other media project.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Merrin would be cool, but they just spent like 4 years building a Jedi battle system so they should build on that and polish the rough edges that Fallen Order had.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I want Merrin DLC, it would be great to discover her powers.

I doubt we'll have a full game with her as the protagonist, unfortunately. As for a sequel, if Cal is still the main character they have to find a way for him to not have his full powers, which could be quite forced. A sequel where you play as one of the force sensitive children with Cal as your master would make sense...and you could have sections where you play as Cal too.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I want to see them make a Bounty Hunter game tbh, or Republic Commando 2.

But I'll take a Merrin game too, she's no Jedi but neither was Grievous. She could be a night sister who can wield a lightsaber.

Oct 25, 2017
these characters are all bland as a mother fuck in that delightful Star Wars way but I like Monaghan and I want to see him keep getting them checks, so Cal all the way down.
---
and no one's ever going to give me my ninth sister or Ventress game so whatever