• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who should be the composer for FFXVI?

• Masayoshi Soken

Votes: 180 33.7%
  • Keiichi Okabe

Votes: 51 9.6%
  • Yoko Shimumura

Votes: 97 18.2%
  • Masashi Hamauzu

Votes: 56 10.5%
  • Takeharu Ishimoto

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Nobuo Uematsu

Votes: 106 19.9%
  • Other

Votes: 37 6.9%

• Total voters

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
I'm going with Hamauzu on this one; Final Fantasy 13 is probably my favorite game ost of all time. I feel like the chances of him coming back to do XVI are slim, though.

I've never been let down by a Final Fantasy soundtrack, so I'll be happy with whoever.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna go against the grain and say....not Soken. I'll take Yoko anyway over Soken if she does the whole OST herself. FFXV has some bangers and so does KH3. If not Yoko I'd actually take Motoi Sakuraba and Go Shina, as long as Sakuraba is allowed to actually fucking compose and not phone in garbage.
I'd honestly love to see Sakuraba do something Final Fantasy. Especially if you pair him with someone like Kohei Tanaka, as happened with Resonance of Fate, or just let him go all Valkyrie Profile or whatever.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine with any of them really, but I feel like Hamauzu deserves to get to lead the OST for a good final fantasy. Among all the other accomplishments that were mentioned, dude also did vocals for One Winged Angel.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Soken. Especially if he's given the level of freedom that he is with XIV's soundtrack.

That being said I kind of hope Soken sticks with XIV to the end.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I haven't even played Final Fantasy XIV (and I'm never going to), but I've heard Soken's music and think he's good. Since Uematsu is not happening, I'd be happy to have Soken compose...but I'd like it if there are more re-arrangements of Uematsu's classic tracks. I'm going to be pissed off if the Final Fantasy victory theme isn't used regularly yet again.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Either being back Uematsu for the next one, or depending on the type of setting maybe Yasunori Nishiki. The work he did for Octopath is nothing short of superb.

Oct 31, 2017
This would never happen but if Yoko Kanno (who composed for Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Macross Frontier, Turn A Gundam) composed for a mainline FF I would DIE FROM HAPPINESS

(listen from 00:48 if it doesn't automatically take you there)

(gets really sexy at around 2:20)

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Loved Okabe's style from Tekken to NieR so him for sure. You don't even need the vocal tracks, just the way he works the instruments is amazing.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
None of those in the poll. They're either past their prime or were never good to begin with. I vote for Hitoshi Sakimoto because when it comes to video game music it doesn't get much better than Sakimoto.

Reveirg

Nov 20, 2017
I feel like Yoshitaka Suzuki is so underrated. He did a lot of the heavy lifting for FFXIV (+expansions) and FFXV, it's time to let him shine!

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
I'd love to see either Hamauzu or Kenji Ito get the opportunity.

Hamauzu made the music for SaGa Frontier 2, one of my favorite Square soundtracks, and his music was the best part of FFXIII.

Kenji Ito is just a great composer, especially for battle themes.

Soken is great, but I'm okay with him dedicating his life to awesome MMO music.

I'd love to see another soundtrack (or even just a main theme) from Uemetsu, but that is sadly unlikely. Even FFXIV Shadowbringers is a little worse off without his splendid themes to build off of.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Except for Ishimoto, all of these composers are qualified. My heart belongs to Hamauzu though, who radiates talent and has the technical chops to back it up.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love Soken, I seriously doubt he can spread himself any thinner with FFXIV so I doubt the next game would even be an option. He was complaining about his right arm being completely numb on twitter before Shadowbringers came out and refused to see a doctor until his work was done. Then later he posted about how he went to the doctor but it took too long to see him so he went back to work. I'd be scared for him to even do another project when he's having a hard time even taking care of himself.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to see Yasunori Nishiki get a shot at Final Fantasy. Octopath Traveler has my favorite RPG soundtrack of this generation.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Yoko Shimomura is legendary but I feel almost everything she's made in the past 5-10 years sounds the same. Rolling piano, dramatic violin, etc. FFXV's soundtrack was so disappointing to me.

Masashi Hamauzu would be my choice. Alliance Alive, Legend of Legacy, Sigma Harmonics, SaGa Frontier 2, FF13, WoFF.... dude is the KING of atmosphere. More of that please.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Soken would be fun, but the 3-4 guys who shadow-wrote a lot of FF15 under Shimomura are all supremely talented and I'd quite like to see a 'new' name rise - so maybe one or two of those guys.

Oct 30, 2017
I will always chose Nobuo Uematsu for new main Final Fantasy game... but if he is not available then Soken is absolutely brilliant.

Munba

Oct 27, 2017
Uematsu indeed. FF without him feels so different (in a bad way) lately... it has less 'magic' imo.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see Yasunori Nishiki get a shot at Final Fantasy. Octopath Traveler has my favorite RPG soundtrack of this generation.

This is actually a good pick! Octopath's ost is amazing.

I would like Shimomura do focus on KH, the music that was not made by her on KH3 were kinda...meh.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't honestly a massive fan of a lot of XV's soundtrack so as much as I've liked Shimumura in the past I'd rather someone else. Uematsu isn't happening and I don't know why Okabe is even on the list..

Soken would make sense considering who's rumoured to be making the game but I guess it would depend how it lines up with FFXIV expansions

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Soken. 100%

Dude kills it, and seems to have a lot of fun with his job. Here's him playing a FFXIV song on piano with a cardboard box

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
My vote goes out to Soken. Love his FFXIV stuff.

Just listen to this masterpiece:

I'd still like to get a few Uematsu tracks, though.
Some of his FFXIV tracks are in my top list of that game.
His work on FFXIV 1.0 was phenomenal but he definitely hit it out of the park with the Heavensward theme:

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
www.youtube.com

FFXIV OST - Hades' Theme

Enable captions to see the lyrics. Last boss of Shadowbringers. Phase 2 starts at 6:20.Official lyrics for part 1:One brings shadow, one brings lightTwo-tone...

Dunno if anything can top this. Soken is a god. My jaw dropped at this...especially the second phase.