• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Where are the "look at that gorgeous 2D" pictures?

Fine. I´ll do it myself.

1PzM6drHTzXqemeV3deNjwa0njXejX0ZrzSYNl47SRw.jpg

531587.jpg

screen06.png
I am playing Spellforce 3 right now and all the time I wish a new commandos will use its engine. They nearly nailed it with detail and scale but it is a 3d engine where you can turn and zoom the camera. <3

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I'll play 2 HD on Xbox One, unless it's a shit port ofc. I really like the games, but almost never finish them. I continued that trend with Shadow Tactics.

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
I played the first one, still have it on disk, but the last time I installed it, the game ran at incredible speeds and was impossible to play. As far as I know, no patch was made to solve this.
I had this problem, but recently I played the game and it runs well.

Great videogames, very difficult too.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Brilliant games, and very hard.

I remember Destination Berlin was a bit odd though, there were three campaigns, with three missions each, and they all ended super abruptly, taking you straight back to the main menu the moment you completed the third mission.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
I played the series through after heartily enjoying 'Shadow Tactics'. I played the first two 'Desporados' games as well.

I was surprised how much of the first two games i remembered it'd been a good 15 years since I'd played them, I finished the first game very quickly on my re-play.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I got pretty far in the first game (Not the expansion where it starts you out on a boat and you have to get to a small island, I never even managed to get close!).

Was very satisfying to drive off right after blowing shit up and the alarm sounds, it's the perfect way to end the mission. :)

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome games but SO DIFFICULT. Absolutely insane trial & error gameplay, but if it works, it really works.

First one is probably my favourite because it's the least complex of the bunch. In later games it's like 4D-chess at times.

It's not getting very positive reviews on Steam. Bugs apart, the biggest issue is releasing it CENSORED worldwide. Every single nazi symbol, portrait, etc. has been removed.

Bizarre.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Commandos was great

don´t sleep on Desperados 3 when it releases this year, developed by Mimimi Productions who made Shadow Tactics...game will be killer

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Going zerh!
OIM REDDY
THIS IS MOINE
Right away....surr
No problem!
Woof woof!

C2 was gold. If you play too much it does feel like each level is simply a giant puzzle that you just distract/punch/gag your way through, but the music, aesthetics and the rest were all great. Many great levels.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic games, me and my mate spent absolutely hours playing 1&2 back in the day and trying to think of interesting and fun ways to beat the levels. I also quite enjoyed Commandos 3, I have them all on Steam so I really should play them again.

The mission briefings are fantastic too.

You can't remove the nazi iconography, it's part of the whole aesthetic of the game.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I really loved Commandos 1 and 2. Wasn't there a really bad 4th one made that was 3D and slightly third person shooter-y? For some reason I remember that Simon Pegg voiced the sniper in that.

Ooh apparently there's a Commandos 2 HD coming out soon! And to Switch too! That rocks.
[Edit] Apparently out already on Steam since the 24th and coming to consoles in Spring 2020.

Last edited:

htp314

Oct 31, 2017
I'm surprised this was just released, didn't even know about that. I was gonna buy it right away but:

It's not getting very positive reviews on Steam. Bugs apart, the biggest issue is releasing it CENSORED worldwide. Every single nazi symbol, portrait, etc. has been removed.

This is stupid, now I won't buy it.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah, those were some of the defining games of my childhood. The first one was so tough me and my brother never managed to finish it.

RicJFNas

Oct 28, 2017
Played all of them, loved them all, my favorite being the third. It's being a long time since l played them, but l think the second was too easy? Anyways, need to get the HD remaster eventually.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Heck yea, I love these games. Shame the series got COD-ified and then died shortly after.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
I remember being awake until very late while my parents were sleeping because they wouldn't let me play that much 😂

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Werent these supposed to release on console last year as well?

Anyway, I have tons of great memories from the first game. Me and a friend bought this game together and then he scratched the CD :P Asshole.

These are very hard games. Not sure I ever beat any of them.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I only played the demo on PC back in the day. Really difficult but I felt like a genius once I completed a mission, which was rare.

OP
OP
gl0w

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
I loved Commandos 2. I remember some missions took me upwards of 4 hours to finish. I also remember being very thorough, not leaving any enemies untied/breathing. I'd be excited for the HD remaster but it seems it has problems. Probably a good idea to boot the orignal for nostalgia's sake, it's been a while.

How is the HD version?

From what I read in the reviews looks like the HD remaster have some problems and did not meet the expectations for some.
hopefully a patch can fix it.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
Incredible memories associated with the Commandos games. Best played alongside a group with everybody pitching in with their own ideas on strategy.

Hoping to see Kalypso come up with a new title soon. Shadow Tactics scratched that itch for me but I won't mind a full-blown Commandos game myself .

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Played the first one and really liked it but it was so damn hard. Can't remember how far I got but it was only a few missions in.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I never really got into Commandos, probably because I loved Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive and always wished I had my tools from there every time I tried a similiar game (e.g. Robin Hood by literally the same devs). I even beat it, though I had to use cheats on the last level :( Fucking ninjas with poisoned throwing weapons faster than my guns.

"Ich brauche GÄGNÄR, keine OPFÄR" and "rien ne va plus" are still some of my favourite video game phrases.

In Commandos all I did was get my ass kicked after killing some soldiers and wishing my guys would throw dudes out of windows to hilarious sound effects when entering an occupied building.

Still love the 2D graphics and didn't get the 3D titles of either series.

mecaguendeu

Oct 16, 2019
This franchise was BIG here in Spain. I don't know if they sold well, but a lot of people played and ejoyed them. I remember the same situation that Warcraft 2 and Age of Empires 2 had: people who weren't dedicated players speaking about them.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Commandos was cool but from what I remember, I think I prefered Jagged Alliance 2? They occupy a similar space in my head.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
Comin right over

Sir

Played the first one many years ago, re-bought the trilogy on GOG a while back, haven't played much. I feel they're just a little bit too hard for the vibe they were going for. That said, executing a plan perfectly (3 stars) was always a rush.
If I remember right my only strategy was to camp it out prone on the floor and wait for the enemy to run into my cone of death. Scrub tactics.

Basically this. Shift-click on ground, look for someone's search cone, lure, kill, hide body, repeat ad nauseum until it all goes to shit when you accidentally get spotted.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
My father introduced me to this games, and Age of Empire. I must've been 13 or 14 years old. Good memories.

How could we forget it?
Yeah, and pretty sure is the most known spanish videogame series, as castlevania doesnt count.
Too bad what happened to pyro.
I do have to say even if i loved comandos 1 and 2 (3 is bad because of the insane difficulty) i was more of a Desperados kid.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I remember it being absolutely brutal, and forgetting about it as soon as Hidden and Dangerous came out which was similar and which I enjoyed a lot more

but everything except the pounding gameplay like the voices and the art was amazing

OP
OP
gl0w

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
I just notice that Commandos collection and Shadow Tactics is -70%/-75% on steam.

Do you guys really recommend Shadow Tactics?

Squid Icarus

Jul 11, 2019
Commandos was good. Desperados was better though, and I also liked Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood a lot.

Also, Shadow Tactics is brillant and everything you'd want from a new entry in the genre. Go play it!

Some images to convince you that it's the game to play ...

Shadow-Tactics-Blades-of-the-Shogun-163829.jpg

Shadow-Tactics-Blades-of-the-Shogun-161554.jpg

EDIT: Also, Desperados III is coming this year from Mimimi, the devs behind Shadow Tactics! Keep an eye on this one, too.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Was playing the Commandos HD remaster this morning, I am enjoying the game, the controls are identical so it feels like a 20 year old game to play but I am slowly getting used it. Tried the original with HD mod as a comparison and found it more glitchy on a modern PC, so stuck with the remaster. They are planning to release on consoles but it needs a UI overhaul to work.

It's not very user friendly for people who haven't played the original, BTW I haven't played the series since Commandos: 3 and Strike Force.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
"Alright... siR!"

Love them. Commandos 3 was... strange though. Visuals seemed worse than in C2 and IIRC almost every mission had a time limit.

EDIT: Just saw footage of the C2 HD remaster... WTF? What's wrong with the animations? How can they look worse than in the original game? I think I'll stick with the original that totally runs fine on Win10 instead of spending 17 bloody EUR.

Do you guys really recommend Shadow Tactics?
Brilliant game. Devs thought of so many intricate details in regards to controls, UI, mission design. It's amazing. Can't wait for Desperados 3.

OP
OP
gl0w

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Commandos was good. Desperados was better though, and I also liked Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood a lot.

Also, Shadow Tactics is brillant and everything you'd want from a new entry in the genre. Go play it!

Some images to convince you that it's the game to play ...

Shadow-Tactics-Blades-of-the-Shogun-163829.jpg

Shadow-Tactics-Blades-of-the-Shogun-161554.jpg

EDIT: Also, Desperados III is coming this year from Mimimi, the devs behind Shadow Tactics! Keep an eye on this one, too.
Definitely. If you like Commandos, it's the closest current-gen game - only with ninjas. I enjoyed it greatly.
"Alright... siR!"

Love them. Commandos 3 was... strange though. Visuals seemed worse than in C2 and IIRC almost every mission had a time limit.

EDIT: Just saw footage of the C2 HD remaster... WTF? What's wrong with the animations? How can they look worse than in the original game? I think I'll stick with the original that totally runs fine on Win10 instead of spending 17 bloody EUR.

Brilliant game. Devs thought of so many intricate details in regards to controls, UI, mission design. It's amazing. Can't wait for Desperados 3.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I will give it a try!

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So many good memories of these games. Every level feels like a huge puzzle that slowly needs to be taken apart

What a strange call. I'm not sure how it makes any sense. Even German law has eased up on the censorship in games. Add to this that the animations are apparently worse I think I'll just stick with the original

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Probably some of the most important games ever made in Spain! I have never played them but it always amazes me how well they are aging visually.