• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I never eat meat or fish or eggs, and sometimes i drink milk or use butter but that's it.... no elixirs either

I like that you can play the whole game without eating any meat or fish, it's pretty cool tbh

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
nrkyty84

I ate a lotta deer and birds

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Me! I often do this in games when it's viable. Veggie IRL so not eating meat is normal to me.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
fuck that noise, i'm vegetarian IRL, i'm not tryna limit myself in games. That's super cool that Zelda has that option though

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Not me - its a game and if there are tools available or aspects - I will use it to the fullest.

But this sounds like a good idea for a challenge playthrough.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
I did actually. And weirdly I still remember all the casualties that happened nonetheless, lol

First was a fish before I knew I just added them to my inventory by picking them up, then deep into the game while "collecting" wood for the new town I used bombs and a wolf suddenly attacked me and died in the explosion.
Lastly there was a salamander who I didn't see behind a stone iirc and who I bombed too but he was still twitching so he might have made it (probably not)

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I'm an omnivore, but in the game, I only ate meat if they were collateral. I didn't explicitly hunt.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I thought about doing it too, but tbh I did not get very far with the idea. I like to RP vegan from time to time

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At least those games let you control your veggie choices.

MHW is like *pick all veggies*

Meowscular Chef - "BIG FUCKING MEAT YOU GOTTA PROBLEM MEET ME SOMEWHERE"
the grandma was no better but she killed it with kindness at least

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
At least those games let you control your veggie choices.

MHW is like *pick all veggies*

Meowscular Chef - "BIG FUCKING MEAT YOU GOTTA PROBLEM MEET ME SOMEWHERE"
the grandma was no better but she killed it with kindness at least
to be fair, they warn you right there in the title

Monster Hunter is a series for the truly bloodthirsty

Punxsutawney

Apr 18, 2018
I'm vegan irl but actually loved the experience of hunting and cooking up animals in BOTW. I've been veggie all my life so figure maybe it's acting out some repressed carnivorous urges :D

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
For a long time, I wasn't killing any animals at all because I felt one with nature or whatever. Eventually, I just started killing everything in sight for sport. There should be a vegetarian speedrun category.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
I know you don't eat in games like OoT for example but the fact that they have bottles to catch fish and insects etc with, without losing the ability to release them unharmed deserves a mention, albeit rather in a pacifist than an eating-habits type context.

BotW even has a side-quest I straight up noped out of (for the first time in a Zelda game), namely the one where someone asks you to kill a bunch of deer.

OP
OP
julia crawford

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I know you don't eat in games like OoT for example but the fact that they have bottles to catch fish and insects etc with, without losing the ability to release them unharmed deserves a mention, albeit rather in a pacifist than an eating-habits type context.

BotW even has a side-quest I straight up noped out of (for the first time in a Zelda game), namely the one where someone asks you to kill a bunch of deer.

Yeah i avoided those quests. That one where you have to get a chunk of gourmet meat i always forget to avoid... i've been trying to find somewhere to buy the meat instead of hunting for it but i haven't yet :S

One thing that i wish you could do is put fish back in the water, but it seems like you kill them when you catch them, so they don't "come back" to life when you throw them back in the water. I've picked up a few by mistake and i throw them back, but i think they are KO'd...

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I guess OP can never play a monster hunter game.

I will very much like to see OP play Bloodborne

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I eat no meat irl, but I don't care about doing it ingame. I think doing things in video games which would be considered unethical irl is generally harmless. I robbed people in RDR2 and pushed them in front of trains, fuck it. 🥴

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Yeah i avoided those quests. That one where you have to get a chunk of gourmet meat i always forget to avoid... i've been trying to find somewhere to buy the meat instead of hunting for it but i haven't yet :S

I started a second playthrough a few years after (though I never went far) and wanted to level up my OoT-outfit which needed bugs or something so I also bought them lol

One thing that i wish you could do is put fish back in the water, but it seems like you kill them when you catch them, so they don't "come back" to life when you throw them back in the water. I've picked up a few by mistake and i throw them back, but i think they are KO'd...

Yup, without even thinking about it I grabbed a fish from the first pond you get to because there was a prompt and I love playing rhythm games, heh.
I was kinda shocked (that's why I still remember) when I realised it had become a lifeless inventory-item in the blink of an eye and never did it again

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
My Link was a pescatarian (which is basically what I am.)
Pescatarian Link here too, save for occasional already existing meat available in the overworld. Hunting animals even in a game is uncomfortable to me. No cooking bugs or lizards and probably no using them for armor upgrades either. Omnivore IRL, formerly vegetarian and vegan. Hope to be vegetarian again one day.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I killed and ate the boars, crane, fish, and wolves (I mean a pack of wolves is basically free meat with a bomb). But I drew the line at foxes. Have still killed zero foxes to date in BOTW.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017

Same, I was disturbed to see that one and I'm glad it's not in the adventure log. Still undecided about giving that Zora kid five frogs to sell because it's not clear what he's going to sell them for.

Also reading your posts ITT I think you may find this thread I made useful: https://www.resetera.com/threads/162827/

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I killed loads of bears and buffaloes, but I just assumed it doesn't count as murder, or consuming them, because they seem to randomly regenerate and are immortal, the consumption is unquantifiable. So I'm just annoying them more than anything, and eating their temporal flesh.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
Hell yes I played as vegetarian Link. I'm cool with eating eggs, but not sure if I did during my playthrough.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did, I hate killing animals in games.
I also finished The Last of Us 2 without killing dogs, except for the mandatory one in a cutscene (fuck you forever Naughty Dog)

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I did, OP! Vegetarian in real life. I don't strictly hold myself to it in games, but I try to go for it when the option is present.

iirc I ate a lot of apple dishes, lol.