• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was reminded of this game in Nintendoland the other day and remembered that it held some of the best local multiplayer memories in my entire gaming career.

maxresdefault.jpg

Quite a few times I had parties at my house and this game going with a full crew, and my god was it magical. It was one of the few games that actually made the Wii U's gimmick feel justified. Also a game that could pull and engage a casual crowd more than most. People were always eager to be next in line to play.

I'f you've never played it, one person is on the game pad (Mario), and the other 4 play split screen on the TV (Toads). The Toads are trying to hunt down Mario for unknown yet potentially horrific lore reasons. The levels are designed in such a way to where there's a lot of room to run and hide, and since the only way the Toads know where Mario is is with a yard counter and by getting an actual visual eye on him, much of the game consist of the Toads screaming at each other call outs of where they think he may be or if they've found him and are in pursuit. All while Mario snickers while looking at their own game pad, watching foolish Toads potentially just miss them on a regular basis. Once in pursuit, they have to tackle Mario to succeed.

nlandmario.png

it just makes for incredibly fun moments, and there were some ingenious bells and whistles too. Such as the Wii U's camera always showing the player of Mario's face on the screen. It's brilliant seeing this mother fucker that you can't find just laughing at all the Toads that can't find them right there on the TV. Or watch their poker face break as they get closer. At the end of every match too, it shows the timeline of movements from Mario and the Toads. So you get to review funny shit like being chased in circles for minutes without even realizing it, or maybe Mario just stood in one place the entire match and the Toads scrambled all around like idiots.

It all came together and It was a fucking BLAST. And while Nintendoland in general was pretty rad, this one in my opinion was just on another level with a full crew. I really really wish they would find a way to get it on Switch. With two Switches locally connected, it should be possible. Just make it like a 20$ game that is sure to specify it requires two Switch consoles to play and boom. You would lose the camera feature but whatever that's fine. I would still be playing this game regularly on weekend if I could.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the best couch co-op I've ever played. As much as the WiiU was such a flop, Nintendoland was a brilliantly fun package, and I played it with friends a ton.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Only half a crew. They prefer Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
Mario Chase with a full crew is easily one of the most fun party games I've ever experienced. Nintendoland as a whole was so damn good, but I realize that I'm lucky in that I had a whole group of people already very familiar with gaming to experience it with.

Mario Chase was the crown jewel of Nintendoland though. It's too bad the game never got any post-release support because more maps would have been awesome.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously so much fun, I miss the asynchronous multiplayer that the Wii U brought

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
All the multiplayer games were amazing but held back by the mandatory wiimote. With a full controller option for camera, not shitty d-pad and more than 2 buttons, every game would have benefited (besides Luigi because rumble).

Still I played this game and Luigi with friends for a lot of hours. Fun times - but apparently not marketable at all :P

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I only did it a couple of times, but it really is a fantastic experience. The Luigi's Mansion game is also top tier, though we didn't play much of the Animal Crossing one

Ciberjm

Aug 7, 2019
Agreed, Mario Chase, the luigi mansion minigame and the AC one were amazing with full parties.

I was kinda sad when I saw that the switch wasn't going to have some dual screen because I knew I would miss Nintendoland.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
Nintendoland was such a great game. Sadly, I was only ever able to play the multiplayer game modes with one other person.

I used to imagine Nintendo creating a hub world like the one Nintendoland had, for the Virtual Console application. Each console would have a small house you could enter, you could read tidbits about games represented and select games by jumping into paintings, Mario64-style. You get coins for completing games, which could be traded for random rewards/items within the hub.

The single player game modes were perfect for wasting time in the mornings, with a cup of coffee.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Nintendoland multiplayer was INCREDIBLE! The chase, animal crossing and ghosts were our favorites. These games sadly feel lost in time to me. Nobody I know has a Wii u anymore.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Never played it, but it always looked very fun to me.
I'm still amazed they tried to sell a whole gaming platform on the premise of "asynchronous gameplay" like it was it was the hot new shit that would change the market. They were totally lost and desperate with the WiiU.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Devs could pull off decent Wii U ports if they used two Switches. You'd think it might not be the craziest idea to pair a Lite to a regular Switch and get these going or other similar ideas. But alas.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I did and it was amazing, same for Luigi's haunted house. I also played co-op Pikmin which was amazing.
I miss Nintendoland really, too bad we'll never see a port.

Jun 10, 2019
This game got really intense with a full crew. It's one of the only games on Nintendo Land that I can say were legitimately fun. There's a suprising amount of strategy involved in hiding and looking for the "Mario"

I love how you can see the movements of the players after the match

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was ok but nothing special. Nintendo Land's cumbersome menu navigation killed this entire game for me more than anything. Never has something so seemingly minor destroyed my experience with the game like that before. Asynchronous games in Nintendo Land were ultimately just Pac Man VS with a Nintendo I.P skin.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Multiple times with multiple different groups of people. We would alternate Mario, Luigi, and Animal Crossing which all were great. Yoshi, Balloon Trip, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda, and Pikmin were all gems as well.

NintendoLand was criminally underrated.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why they haven't tried the asymmetric thing again especially since you can connect different Switches together.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Mario Chase is sublime

not only is the playing experience utterly joyous and hysterical, the replay afterward is pure game design genius.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The game is just underrated in general. I did full part Mario Chase, Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion a few times and it was always great. The Donkey Kong game was fantastic to master. Zelda and Pokémon were...ok. I really enjoyed Balloon Trip and F Zero. The octopus game...blegh. Only real stinker in my mind. But Metroid? Fantastic. Great with a crew, great versus.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
For years that Animal Crossing game was a huge hit at family events. Family members who never played games would request it ahead of time.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Mario chase really needs to come back. The Luigi's Mansion one too. It's totally doable on the switch.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendoland is such a gem. I never got a full party to play this, AC, or Luigi's Mansion games, but played all the co-op stuff with my sister and had a blast. Flying around in Samus' ship while the other player dangles from it with their grappling hook is so good.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Throughout my 3L year of law school I had a rotating crew of 8-12 people coming by for dinner and games on Wednesday nights, and Nintendoland was always the number one request. The Mario Chase, Luigi's Mansion, and Animal Crossing attractions are some of the best local multiplayer games of the decade.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, Wii U was/is the best party console ever. Nintendo Land + Game&Wario (the drawing game especially) were a unique and hilarious experience.

Oct 25, 2017
My group of friends are typically non Nintendo gamers and are quick to roll their eyes when they see gimmicky stuff announced.

They loved every minute of that game and the one where you control a characters in a crowd of characters and try to blend in.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Mario Chase was fantastic. That and the Luigi's mansion game were probably my favorite multiplayer ones. The Zelda one was decent too.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
That one and the Luigi one were my favorites, I like chase/maze games. I'd love Nintendoland Switch version with whatever changes have to happen for it to work on the platform.
(Online also pls, thx)

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Asymmetrical multiplayer is a blast. I wish they'd do with Nintendoland what they did with PacMan VS. The Luigi's Mansion minigame is perfect for Halloween time.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I played all of those Nintendoland multiplayer games with a full crew, like, 2 weeks ago actually.

I was playing Luigi's Mansion ScreamPark games last night with 8.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo Land is amazing.

I wish they could make Mario Chase and Luigi's Mansion mini game and make it work again on the Switch.

Those were great party games.

Oct 25, 2017
The Metroid one was the best, I'll never be able be told those initial impressions of the Wii U and this game in particular didn't contribute to the console's overall impact and reception. It got a rough deal.

The initial Switch reveal had the same 'Is that it?/Really?/I dismiss this out of hand' mentality, but of course things were a bit different.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Land deserves more recognition. The only thing holding it back was it needed more content. They could have easily made DLC for maps on Luigi's Mansion, Mario Chase, and Animal Crossing. My crew played them so much and we got really hopeful they would eventually update it.

Nintendo Land is amazing.

I wish they could make Mario Chase and Luigi's Mansion mini game and make it work again on the Switch.

Those were great party games.

I would love it. Online wouldn't be an issue, obviously everyone would have their own screen. But with local multiplayer, another switch could act as the gamepad. They could even add screen streaming to their mobile app if they wanted, but I doubt they would.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had a large crew far less than I wish. That was a great game inside of a fantastic experience.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Baffling why Nintendo would use the gimmick of their system to make a single game, then ignore the novelty of it forever.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I think Mario Chase was easily the crown jewel of Nintendoland and I always wanted to see them take the idea and expand it. Online functionality, more maps, and asymmetric power ups for Mario and the chasers.