• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
A couple weeks is best case, assumes the restrictions were placed early enough, and that hospitals will use that time to effectively stockpile. In nearly all examples the restrictions are placed too late. There are health costs, the most apparent examples are the cruise liners denied entry. I agree that "banning travel doesn't need to away any focus from other measures." But it's been the go to policy in every outbreak when there are more effective policies available of testing and contact tracing.
The cruisers are a very specific example that affects a tiny amount of people, relatively speaking. Not only that, travel bans and restrictions don't necessarily mean you just leave people on cruises to their fate.
You say that the restrictions are put in place too late (true), but say it's the go to policy. If it's the go to policy, then surely it's the first thing countries would do, ergo, the problem would be slowness to react and not travel bans specifically.

I'm not sure how you think quarantine and social distancing can be kept if people are travelling for non essential purposes. Banning or restricting travel is merely a part of social isolation.

Even the study you posted shows its importance:

The travel quarantine of Wuhan delayed the overall epidemic progression by only 3 to 5 days in Mainland China, but has a more marked effect at the international scale, where case importations were reduced by nearly 80% until mid February

The model indicates that while the Wuhan travel ban was initially effective at reducing international case importations, the number of cases observed outside Mainland China will resume its growth after 2-3 weeks from cases that originated elsewhere.

The WHO study posted earlier also mentions this:
  • Have limited effectiveness – e.g. 90% air travel restriction in all affected countries may delay spread of pandemics by 3–4 weeks
  • Extensive restriction of international air travel might delay introduction of a pandemic into a country by up to 2 months and delay pandemic spread by 3–4 months
Yes, the sooner these measures are taken the better, but that applies to ANY measure. No one is advocating travel restrictions as the only measure, or saying they were applied correctly or on time, but to fight a pandemic you need to take several measures that work in tandem with each other. There isn't a single scenario or study that indicates that restricting travel doesn't have a positive effect in fighting a pandemic.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The people on the executive board of the WHO, while doctors, are also politicians. They are an arm of the UN. It is a political organization and they are not free of politics. They've appointed Robert Mugabe a peace ambassador. They are not immune from criticism of their political actions because they also happen to be doctors. Even throughout this outbreak they have made political moves that many experts (not just right wing politicians) have been critical of.
The WHO tries it best to be non political, but that mean it needs to work with the existing power structures, even in problematic countries. That just not how this body operates. They don't always make the right decisions, but they do amazingly important and dangerous work. Those lose people in pretty much every one of those pandemics.
You can't expect them to solve those types of issues.

And for real, where do you think this whole shit talking about the WHO leads?
I can tell you where I think it leads to, and that for the US to pull funding from the WHO, something that republicans have been trying to do for years because they're crazy people who think that the UN will put us in FEMA camps or some shit.
That's a good outcome for you?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The WHO tries it best to be non political, but that mean it needs to work with the existing power structures, even in problematic countries. That just not how this body operates. They don't always make the right decisions, but they do amazingly important and dangerous work. Those lose people in pretty much every one of those pandemics.
You can't expect them to solve those types of issues.

And for real, where do you think this whole shit talking about the WHO leads?
I can tell you where I think it leads to, and that for the US to pull funding from the WHO, something that republicans have been trying to do for years because they're crazy people who think that the UN will put us in FEMA camps or some shit.
That's a good outcome for you?

No, a good outcome is for the UN to do an audit into the WHO and possibly appoint a new director. I don't know why you're jumping to these bizarre outcomes and tying it back to republicans. Let me reiterate that there is more to the world than the GOP

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Well you don't have to necessarily take my opinion. Research articles are starting to come out now. Here's one from science : https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/03/05/science.aba9757.

I won't bias you with my commentary on it. But again the thing with China its hard to separate the travel restrictions from the social distancing, and business closures.
So its good that China didnt listen to you.
"In the moderate transmissibility reduction scenarios (r = 0.75) the epidemic peak is delayed to late June 2020 and the total number of international case importations by 1 March 2020 are 26 and 5 detected cases per day for the 40% and 90% travel restrictions scenarios, respectively. Even larger travel limitations (>90%) will extend the period of time during which the importation of cases is greatly reduced."

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, a good outcome is for the UN to do an audit into the WHO and possibly appoint a new director. I don't know why you're jumping to these bizarre outcomes and tying it back to republicans. Let me reiterate that there is more to the world than the GOP
The WHO will not solve Taiwan's status in the UN, that's a mess which is 70 years in the making. It's not a personnel issue, it's about the capabilities and maybe more importantly, the mission of that body.
And for real, you think now is that time to replace leadership at the WHO?
In the middle of all of that crap?
We are undermining and critical organization in a middle of a pandemic.

lt.dinh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The cruisers are a very specific example that affects a tiny amount of people, relatively speaking. Not only that, travel bans and restrictions don't necessarily mean you just leave people on cruises to their fate.
You say that the restrictions are put in place too late (true), but say it's the go to policy. If it's the go to policy, then surely it's the first thing countries would do, ergo, the problem would be slowness to react and not travel bans specifically.

I'm not sure how you think quarantine and social distancing can be kept if people are travelling for non essential purposes. Banning or restricting travel is merely a part of social isolation.

Even the study you posted shows its importance:

The WHO study posted earlier also mentions this:

Yes, the sooner these measures are taken the better, but that applies to ANY measure. No one is advocating travel restrictions as the only measure, or saying they were applied correctly or on time, but to fight a pandemic you need to take several measures that work in tandem with each other. There isn't a single scenario or study that indicates that restricting travel doesn't have a positive effect in fighting a pandemic.
We're going to go in circles here. The issue with slowness is that unless you have immediate testing and can recognize an outbreak is happening, you will miss that window of opportunity. There will always be a lag.

From the studies, conversely, the vast majority "I won't say all" will say the effect is limited. If you want to emphasize those weeks of delay go ahead. I'm going to point to the sentences that say the effect is limited:

• Modeling results also indicate that sustained 90% travel restrictions to and from Mainland China only modestly affect the epidemic trajectory unless combined with a 50% or higher reduction of transmission in the community.
  • Have limited effectiveness – e.g. 90% air travel restriction in all affected countries may delay spread of pandemics by 3–4 weeks

You can promote social distancing without travel restrictions. Telling people they should stay at home is not the same as telling people they can't travel. That's what the stay at home orders in the US are right now.

lt.dinh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So its good that China didnt listen to you.
"In the moderate transmissibility reduction scenarios (r = 0.75) the epidemic peak is delayed to late June 2020 and the total number of international case importations by 1 March 2020 are 26 and 5 detected cases per day for the 40% and 90% travel restrictions scenarios, respectively. Even larger travel limitations (>90%) will extend the period of time during which the importation of cases is greatly reduced."

Did you just pull a model result without context? Notice the "moderate transmissibility reduction scenarios," i.e. social distancing and other community transmision prevention measures are put in place.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Did you just pull a model result without context? Notice the "moderate transmissibility reduction scenarios," i.e. social distancing and other community transmision prevention measures are put in place.
You seem confused. No one is advocating that prevention measures dont take place. Literally, no one. It isnt either/or.

lt.dinh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You seem confused. No one is advocating that prevention measures dont take place. Literally, no one. It isnt either/or.

This is my argument. Travel restrictions are not effective. I point to studies that say travel restrictions have limited effect. You point to a model where other interventions are also put in place and go "aha you're wrong."

If you want to see the results of the model that looks at just the travel restriction I've copied below:
Initially, we assume no changes in the transmissibility and disease dynamics: i.e., the status quo scenario. The model output shows no noticeable differences in the epidemic trajectory of Wuhan, while it shows a delay of about 3 days occurring for other locations in Mainland China (see Fig. 1A). The overall reduction of cases in Mainland China excluding Wuhan is close to 10% by 31 January 2020, with a relative reduction of cases across specific locations varying in a range from 1% to 58% (Fig. 2). With a doubling time of 4-5 days, this level of reduction corresponds to only a modest delay of the epidemic trajectory of 1 to 6 days in Mainland China.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
This is my argument. Travel restrictions are not effective.
It has a great affect, 'greatly' in fact.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
We're going to go in circles here. The issue with slowness is that unless you have immediate testing and can recognize an outbreak is happening, you will miss that window of opportunity. There will always be a lag.

From the studies, conversely, the vast majority "I won't say all" will say the effect is limited. If you want to emphasize those weeks of delay go ahead. I'm going to point to the sentences that say the effect is limited:

You can promote social distancing without travel restrictions. Telling people they should stay at home is not the same as telling people they can't travel. That's what the stay at home orders in the US are right now.
I chose the quotes that said there was an impact resulting in a 2-3 weeks delay, because you said it was a best case scenario. It's not a best case scenario, it's the conclusion of the study you posted. A 2-3 weeks delay is not nothing. For crying out loud, you just quoted a 3-4 week delay!

No one argued that the impact wasn't limited, but that impact is still positive, even with late implementation. All measures that can help must be taken, because they work in tandem to flatten the curve?
How can people stay home if they're travelling? Why should non-essential travel be permitted? Is it somehow bad to delay the spread of the disease?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The WHO will not solve Taiwan's status in the UN, that's a mess which is 70 years in the making. It's not a personnel issue, it's about the capabilities and maybe more importantly, the mission of that body.
And for real, you think now is that time to replace leadership at the WHO?
In the middle of all of that crap?
We are undermining and critical organization in a middle of a pandemic.

You keep making these bizarre assumptions and freaking out about them. I didn't say they should do the replacement right now. Obviously it should be done when the time is right and not jeopardize the situation. But an audit can still be done.

I'd argue that providing fair care to the whole world is the mission of a worldwide health organization and playing favorites jeopardizes that. You're basically saying Taiwan, a region historically oppressed by China, doesn't deserve care because China's feelings would be hurt. Now is not a time to be playing politics.

Also, WHO's treatment of Taiwan here has been markedly worse than the generic treatment of Taiwan by other entities who love to fall in line for China's oppression of them like you are here. The normal line is to call them Chinese Taipei, treat them as a special territory and not go into their sovereignty. WHO have been outright ignoring them at worst, and treating them like a subprovince of China's at best.

lt.dinh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I chose the quotes that said there was an impact resulting in a 2-3 weeks delay, because you said it was a best case scenario. It's not a best case scenario, it's the conclusion of the study you posted. A 2-3 weeks delay is not nothing. For crying out loud, you just quoted a 3-4 week delay!

No one argued that the impact wasn't limited, but that impact is still positive, even with late implementation. All measures that can help must be taken, because they work in tandem to flatten the curve?
How can people stay home if they're travelling? Why should non-essential travel be permitted? Is it somehow bad to delay the spread of the disease?

Actually the person above you is arguing that effect is "greatly." Regardless, I'll concede if you think these few weeks of delay are that important, i'm not going to convince you otherwise. And yes can potentially use that time to prepare.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Love all the "experts" here, WHO is an independent organization, its member states meet once a year (usually in May) at the World Health Assembly to discuss health related issues and make decisions about WHO's work. Its director general is elected for 5 years by the member states. It also has an external auditor appointed from one of its member states in addition to the Programme, budget and administration committee consisting of Member States which deals with financial oversight.

lt.dinh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you should re-read it. They arent disgareeing with themselves obviously.
The model indicates that while the Wuhan travel ban was initially effective at reducing international case importations, the number of cases observed outside Mainland China will resume its growth after 2-3 weeks from cases that originated elsewhere. Furthermore, the modeling study shows that additional travel limitations up to 90% of the traffic have a modest effect unless paired with public health interventions and behavioral changes that achieve a considerable reduction in the disease transmissibility (37). The model also indicates that even in the presence of the strong travel restrictions in place to and from Mainland China since 23 January 2020, a large number of individuals exposed to the SARS-CoV-2 have been traveling internationally without being detected. Moving forward we expect that travel restrictions to COVID-19 affected areas will have modest effects, and that transmission-reduction interventions will provide the greatest benefit to mitigate the epidemic.

So are you going to argue that the synergistic effect outweighs the individual effects of interventions to reduce disease transmissibility?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You keep making these bizarre assumptions and freaking out about them. I didn't say they should do the replacement right now. Obviously it should be done when the time is right and not jeopardize the situation. But an audit can still be done.

I'd argue that providing fair care to the whole world is the mission of a worldwide health organization and playing favorites jeopardizes that. You're basically saying Taiwan, a region historically oppressed by China, doesn't deserve care because China's feelings would be hurt. Now is not a time to be playing politics.

Also, WHO's treatment of Taiwan here has been markedly worse than the generic treatment of Taiwan by other entities who love to fall in line for China's oppression of them like you are here. The normal line is to call them Chinese Taipei, treat them as a special territory and not go into their sovereignty. WHO have been outright ignoring them at worst, and treating them like a subprovince of China's at best.
Taiwan is handling this virus probably better than any other country in the world, for real, what problem are you trying to solve?
Is this about making a statement?
Can that shit wait until after we handle this virus because we need global coordination to fight this virus and the WHO is a very important part of it.

And the WHO "treatment of Taiwan" is part of a bigger issue which is Taiwan's status in the UN.
This mess is 70 years in he making and I think it's unreasonable to expect the WHO to solve this issue, especially in the middle of a pandemic.
They will not pick political fights for you, they specifically try to avoid it, they need to play nice with countries because they literally have no way to force cooperation. This is exactly the same reason why they praised Trump.
I generally think people here pay way too much attention to those type of statements which is not the important part of what the WHO is doing.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
As I suspected. You misread it.
the modeling study shows that additional travel limitations up to 90% of the traffic have a modest effect unless paired with public health interventions and behavioral changes
This statement is citing this data.
In the moderate transmissibility reduction scenarios (r = 0.75) the epidemic peak is delayed to late June 2020 and the total number of international case importations by 1 March 2020 are 26 and 5 detected cases per day for the 40% and 90% travel restrictions scenarios, respectively. Even larger travel limitations (>90%) will extend the period of time during which the importation of cases is greatly reduced."
The 2 statements aren't conflicting with each other.

"Travel bans are ineffective." find a new study to back you up cause this one disagrees with you pretty plainly.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Love all the "experts" here, WHO is an independent organization, its member states meet once a year (usually in May) at the World Health Assembly to discuss health related issues and make decisions about WHO's work. Its director general is elected for 5 years by the member states. It also has an external auditor appointed from one of its member states in addition to the Programme, budget and administration committee consisting of Member States which deals with financial oversight.

They are not an independent organization, they are a branch of the UN.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
No, it's arguing a synergistic effect but it's dependent on having large transmissibility intervention that "a considerable reduction in the disease transmissibility."
They have different data for a 'considerable' reduction in transmission. The great reduction in cases from a >90% travel ban is in relation to a 'moderate' reduction. ffs read your own links.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They are not an independent organization, they are a branch of the UN.
Everything they do is governed by the Constitution of the World Health Organization adopted in 1946 and by resolutions and decisions adopted by member states since then. It is part of the UN family, but "UN" has no control over anything it does, WHO's member states do.

Please stop confusing people if you don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan is handling this virus probably better than any other country in the world, for real, what problem are you trying to solve?
Is this about making a statement?
Can that shit wait until after we handle this virus because we need global coordination to fight this virus and the WHO is a very important part of it.

And the WHO "treatment of Taiwan" is part of a bigger issue which is Taiwan's status in the UN.
This mess is 70 years in he making and I think it's unreasonable to expect the WHO to solve this issue, especially in the middle of a pandemic.
They will not pick political fights for you, they specifically try to avoid it, they need to play nice with countries because they literally have no way to force cooperation. This is exactly the same reason why they praised Trump.
I generally think people here pay way too much attention to those type of statements which is not the important part of what the WHO is doing.

Earlier you stated that they are not politicians, they are doctors. What you describe as their process here is pure politics. Specifically, status quo politics. In which the oppressed stay oppressed, and the oppressors come out on top. This time, Taiwan turned out to be self sufficient. However, if they require further aid, or had they required aid earlier on, their lack of recognition by the WHO will hurt them.

During this current pandemic, since WHO counted them as part of China, countries banned travel from Taiwan despite Taiwan having 0 cases. Because of this designation as part of China and lack of representation at the WHO, Taiwan lacked access to key information and leadership early during the outbreak. Just because Taiwan were able to turn it around despite this doesn't mean the actions of the WHO were not irresponsible and potentially fatal.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earlier you stated that they are not politicians, they are doctors. What you describe as their process here is pure politics. Specifically, status quo politics. In which the oppressed stay oppressed, and the oppressors come out on top. This time, Taiwan turned out to be self sufficient. However, if they require further aid, or had they required aid earlier on, their lack of recognition by the WHO will hurt them.

During this current pandemic, since WHO counted them as part of China, countries banned travel from Taiwan despite Taiwan having 0 cases. Because of this designation as part of China and lack of representation at the WHO, Taiwan lacked access to key information and leadership early during the outbreak. Just because Taiwan were able to turn it around despite this doesn't mean the actions of the WHO were not irresponsible and potentially fatal.
The WHO can't force countries to issue a travel ban.
They can't force countries to do anything, they try to stay out of politics as much as they can and America is trying to drag the into a political fight, and you are rooting for that because some theoretical situation in the future where it might make sense to do that?
I think this is amazingly unproductive.
The WHO mostly work with healthcare professionals, and they do important and dangerous work all over the world, especially in poor countries, this endless focus on those statements and press conference achieve nothing but undermining it.

lt.dinh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have different data for a 'considerable' reduction in transmission. The great reduction in cases from a >90% travel ban is in relation to a 'moderate' reduction. ffs read your own links.

This is the full sentence which for some reason you have spliced.

Furthermore, the modeling study shows that additional travel limitations up to 90% of the traffic have a modest effect unless paired with public health interventions and behavioral changes that achieve a considerable reduction in the disease transmissibility (37).

Are you arguing its not dependent on reducing disease transmissibility? Are we really going to have a semantic debate about "considerable?" Do you think they just linked results from two models in one sentence?

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
This is the full sentence which for some reason you have spliced.

Are you arguing its not dependent on reducing disease transmissibility? Are we really going to have a semantic debate about "considerable?" Do you think they just linked results from two models in one sentence?
I guess I need to repeat it for a third time.

With no reduction in transmissibility ie. no social distancing then of course a travel ban by itself will not have a considerable impact. No one is arguing that we should have just a travel ban by itself and no other precautions. This is some weird ass strawman you made for yourself.

With a 'moderate' reduction in transmission the results of a 40% and 90% travel ban "are 26 and 5 detected cases per day for the 40% and 90% travel restrictions scenarios, respectively." The result of travel bans of "(>90%) will extend the period of time during which the importation of cases is greatly reduced."

How you read that and somehow translate it to 'travel bans have no effect' is some kind of magic.

lt.dinh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I need to repeat it for a third time.

With no reduction in transmissibility ie. no social distancing then of course a travel ban by itself will not have a considerable impact. No one is arguing that we should have just a travel ban by itself and no other precautions. This is some weird ass strawman you made for yourself.

With a 'moderate' reduction in transmission the results of a 40% and 90% travel ban "are 26 and 5 detected cases per day for the 40% and 90% travel restrictions scenarios, respectively." The result of travel bans of "(>90%) will extend the period of time during which the importation of cases is greatly reduced."

How you read that and somehow translate it to 'travel bans have no effect' is some kind of magic.

Tell me, where have I said travel bans have no effect? I've said they don't work, they're not effective, and at best they delay the curve by a few weeks. The paper at best conflicts with the delay of time and if you want to argue about adding a few more weeks go ahead.

The fact that you continue to be confused by why I isolate the effect of travel restrictions is shocking. Like I said before when you have both travel restrictions and transmission interventions it's hard to attribute which is responsible. But let's actually look at the reference figure of the text that your so fond of. As you can see, travel restrictions don't change the curve, they delay it. It's the transmission interventions that bend it. As I said before we should focus on the effective policies.

F4.large.jpg

Fig. 4 Combined effects of travel and transmissibility reductions on the epidemic.
(A) Median total number of imported cases from Mainland China with no transmissibility reduction, and travel reductions ∈ {40%, 90%}. (B) Same as (A) for the moderate transmissibility reduction scenario (r = 0.75). (C) Same as (A) for the strong transmissibility reduction scenario (r = 0.5). Shaded areas represent the 90% confidence interval. (D) Incidence in Mainland China excluding Wuhan for the different scenarios considered in (A) to (C).

The fact that you somehow hone in on the most speculative part of the paper, where they don't even show the period of time delay for travel bans (>90%) is telling.

And you accuse me of using strawmen.

Let's repeat the main conclusions of this paper:
Modeling results also indicate that sustained 90% travel restrictions to and from Mainland China only modestly affect the epidemic trajectory unless combined with a 50% or higher reduction of transmission in the community.

The model also indicates that even in the presence of the strong travel restrictions in place to and from Mainland China since 23 January 2020, a large number of individuals exposed to the SARS-CoV-2 have been traveling internationally without being detected. Moving forward we expect that travel restrictions to COVID-19 affected areas will have modest effects, and that transmission-reduction interventions will provide the greatest benefit to mitigate the epidemic.

I remember you now, you're the one who said this:
Apparently you're the expert.
Every country has since employed a travel ban, defying the WHO, because they've realized how idiotic they are.
The principles employed in social distancing and quarantine is the same one in travel restrictions. You don't have to be an expert to know that.

Last edited:

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Hostility
Tell me, where have I said travel bans have no effect? I've said they don't work, they're not effective, and at best they delay the curve by a few weeks. The paper at best conflicts with the delay of time and if you want to argue about adding a few more weeks go ahead.

The fact that you continue to be confused by why I isolate the effect of travel restrictions is shocking. Like I said before when you have both travel restrictions and transmission interventions it's hard to attribute which is responsible.
Youre creating your own conclusions, none of which are supported by this study. Find a new one.
This one deals with the combined effect of transmission reduction and travel limitations and has concluded that under a moderate(.75) and strong(.50) reduction in transmission then travel limitations of 90% or more have a strong effect. They also show the effect of a 40% travel ban for comparison(notice how the number goes down when you increase the travel ban)
I won't bias you with my commentary on it.
Good advice, you arent capable of interpreting data correctly.
Let's repeat the main conclusions of this paper:
Repeat it some more until you understand it.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
WHO needs China's or any other member states cooperation to function. It leads to shit like this

Also , Sadly, their effusive praise of China has allowed The CCP and their apologists to use it as a propaganda tool

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
More fuckery from the WHO

www.reuters.com

Taiwan says WHO not sharing coronavirus information it provides, pressing complaints

The World Health Organization (WHO) has not shared with member states information Taiwan has provided on the coronavirus including details on its cases and prevention methods, Taiwan's Foreign Ministry said on Monday, ratcheting up its complaints.

Taiwan's government has said that keeping it out of the WHO during the outbreak amounts to playing politics with Taiwanese lives, even as the island has won plaudits for keeping its case toll so comparatively low thanks to early detection and control methods.

Since the start of the coronavirus outbreak, Taiwan has given the WHO all the information about its cases and prevention methods, but this has never been included in the WHO's daily updated situation report, she added.

"Therefore, the health bodies of various countries cannot understand the current situation of Taiwan's epidemic situation, preventive policies and border quarantine measures from the information provided by the WHO," Ou said.

"This shows that what the WHO said in its statement that it is learning from all regions, including Taiwan, to share 'best practices' with the world, differs from the facts."

Taiwan has also been excluded from over 70 percent of WHO technical meetings in the last decade, and for a key February meeting on the virus Taiwan experts were not allowed to attend in person, only online, she said.

lt.dinh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Youre creating your own conclusions, none of which are supported by this study. Find a new one.
This one deals with the combined effect of transmission reduction and travel limitations and has concluded that under a moderate(.75) and strong(.50) reduction in transmission then travel limitations of 90% or more have a strong effect. They also show the effect of a 40% travel ban for comparison(notice how the number goes down when you increase the travel ban)
Good advice, you arent capable of interpreting data correctly.
Repeat it some more until you understand it.

No wonder you don't understand it. You see numbers go down (herp derp) the end. Let me walk you through the figures one by one.
A. Travel restrictions are put in place. Notice that curve drops but the slope stays the same (indicating a delay). Also notice that by Feb 7 the numbers are back at the levels of January 23 (indicating a delay). Under higher travel restrictions the curve shifts right (delay). Of course the numbers are going to down for a given time point, since there's a delay.
B. Same thing: travel restrictions are put in place, initial drop, curve shifts right. However with a reduction in transmission to r=0.75, the slope flattens.
C. Same thing
D. Notice how the only thing that has major impact on the trajectory is changes in transmission. Changes in travel reduction only shifts the curves right slightly.
F4.large.jpg

Now lets breakdown the text that you're so fond of. I've bolded some key words for you. At march 1, the numbers are down from 26 to 5 cases per day because of the delay caused by greater travel restrictions. Even greater travel limitations extend the delay.

In the moderate transmissibility reduction scenarios (r = 0.75) the epidemic peak is delayed to late June 2020 and the total number of international case importations by 1 March 2020 are 26 and 5 detected cases per day for the 40% and 90% travel restrictions scenarios, respectively. Even larger travel limitations (>90%) will extend the period of time during which the importation of cases is greatly reduced.

You argue like anti-vaxxers who take a single result from a study, misinterpret it, and say it causes autism, while ignoring the main conclusions. Since you want more links check out the ones in the first quote below from their discussion.

The travel quarantine around Wuhan has only modestly delayed the epidemic spread to other areas of Mainland China. This is in agreement with separate studies on the diffusion of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in Mainland China (27, 35, 36).

The model indicates that while the Wuhan travel ban was initially effective at reducing international case importations, the number of cases observed outside Mainland China will resume its growth after 2-3 weeks from cases that originated elsewhere.

Furthermore, the modeling study shows that additional travel limitations up to 90% of the traffic have a modest effect unless paired with public health interventions and behavioral changes that achieve a considerable reduction in the disease transmissibility (37).

Moving forward we expect that travel restrictions to COVID-19 affected areas will have modest effects, and that transmission-reduction interventions will provide the greatest benefit to mitigate the epidemic.

Humor me here. In the below image, if time is on the x-axis, do you see a delay or a drop?
body_parallel-1.png

Last edited:

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
No wonder you don't understand it. You see numbers go down (herp derp) the end. Let me walk you through the figures one by one.
A. Travel restrictions are put in place. Notice that curve drops but the slope stays the same (indicating a delay). Also notice that by Feb 7 the numbers are back at the levels of January 23 (indicating a delay). Under higher travel restrictions the curve shifts right (delay). Of course the numbers are going to down for a given time point, since there's a delay.
B. Same thing: travel restrictions are put in place, initial drop, curve shifts right. However with a reduction in transmission to r=0.75, the slope flattens.
C. Same thing
D. Notice how the only thing that has major impact on the trajectory is changes in transmission. Changes in travel reduction only shifts the curves right slightly.
F4.large.jpg

Now lets breakdown the text that you're so fond of. I've bolded some key words for you. At march 1, the numbers are down from 26 to 5 cases per day because of the delay caused by greater travel restrictions. Even greater travel limitations extend the delay.
First off, dont mix data regarding the effect of the wuhan travel ban, and the international travel ban. The study makes different statements for both.
The first set of graphs indicate the number of exported cases from china, the D graph looks at the number of daily cases within china. I suspect this is why youre so confused.

Regarding the affect of the wuhan ban the study concludes.
The model shows that as of January 23, most Chinese cities had already received a considerable number of infected cases, and the travel quarantine delays the overall epidemic progression by only 3 to 5 days.
Regarding the China travel ban it concludes
The travel quarantine has a more marked effect at the international scale, where we estimate the number of case importations to be reduced by 80% until the end of February.
Any other conclusions you'd like to make are your own. And not the studies.
Should also be mentioned most if not all travel bans include many countries, not just china. ie. US to Canada. This data is strictly Chinese transmissions.

The rest of their conclusion.
Moving forward we expect that travel restrictions to COVID-19 affected areas will have modest effects, and that transmission-reduction interventions will provide the greatest benefit to mitigate the epidemic.
Heres a story.
Bob is making bread and is annoyed that it came out flat. He says 'I put so much yeast I dont know why it turned out like this.' Joe tells him 'thats because you didnt put enough sugar.' Bob concludes 'Oh I see, yeast is actually pretty useless and would not be a worthwhile improvement to delay the virus.'
Joe shakes his head.

Last edited:

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017

For what it's worth, the "I can't hear your question" and "that's okay let's move on then" are clearly on a single, continuous shot, and you can see him acting "strange" before the "disconnection".

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
People here excusing this bullshit behavior... this is pretty fucking disgusting, maybe in USA this is par for the course considering their politicians, but I expect much more of an international entity made out of scientists and doctors.

I feel nauseous.