• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is a joke sometimes, but a lot of ya'll aren't joking and...knock it off? Like, it's fine to recommend a game that's related if a title disappoints. But don't recommend something that you just liked a bunch to someone who was disappointed about any game.

Sometimes this happens because two games came out in the same time period, but that doesn't mean it's a good suggestion. If someone wanted an engrossing open-world title and you're recommending Hades, that's not a good idea. I might like that game, but I have an itch I want to scratch and you can't generically replace a game with another. If you're saying "Hey instead of Dragon Age Inquisition play Greedfall", I can kinda get that (even if I like both), but maybe don't recommend people play Hades instead of Cyberpunk if they're disappointed in Cyberpunk?

People typically do this with big projects and try to bring up some much smaller in scope project. Which is "fine" if they're the same genre or are going for the same themes, but otherwise you gotta chill.

I actually thought about not making this thread since I didn't have enough examples, but this thread actually inspired me to go ahead and make it. If someone's looking for a fantasy RPG with realistic graphics, maybe don't recommend the cartoony Zelda-like that pokes fun at itself a bunch and say "Same thing, what's the problem?"

Like, this doesn't make me want to play the thing you're recommending more. What it does is piss me off and make me want to play it less, because you're specifically ignoring me and what I asked to hock something you care about. Has anyone else noticed this, or can you just generically replace "should've been a good game" with "actually a good game" and it's fine?

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
If you're dissapointed with Cyberpunk, play Deus Ex instead! /j

Didn't know people tend to recommend unrelated games to people having an itch for an specific genre or theme, though. I think is an insensitive thing to do.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
If you're dissapointed with Cyberpunk, play Deus Ex instead! /j

Didn't know people tend to recommend unrelated games to people having an itch for an specific genre or theme, though. I think is an insensitive thing to do.

Deus Ex isn't a GREAT recommendation but it's at least in the same realm of Cyberpunk, but not open world. But if you're telling someone to go play Hades 'cause they're upset with Cyberpunk...like. What?

"Days Gone doesn't deserve to exist because Last of Us exists."

What a terrible take this was and still is.

Agreed. I didn't care about either but I never liked this argument.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This argument shows up from time to time for Shenmue (as in - why play Shenmue 1/2/3 when Yakuza exists). As if the two are really all that same at all. Only similarities are being Sega games, and having some crossover in mini games (Space Harrier, Outrun, Darts, Slots etc.)
The two otherwise are insanely different - Yakuza is a crazy crime drama filled with larger than life characters, heat moves, and crazy side stories and other distractions to take up your time. Shenmue is closer to a point and click game in approach - namely, its slow pace and focus on talking to everyone to progress the plot. It also has several things Yakuza doesn't - day to night cycles, NPCs that are more than copy/paste groups to make the city seem more alive (all with their own daily routines). The two series really don't feel that similar in combat either - Shenmue is a more easy to play Virtua Fighter that uses combat extremely sparingly, while Yakuza has a much more arcadey style more akin to something like Spikeout or (and this is a stretch) a 3D Streets of Rage.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Who needs Shenmue when you have Yakuza?

Who needs Banjo-Kazzoie when you have Yooka-Laylee?

Who needs Dino Crisis when you have Ark?

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
I remember a similar thing happened between the time Game Trailers got shut down and the announcement of Easy Allies. "Oh, you are upset that Game Trailers is gone? Try Kinda Funny!" Like, I understand their intention, but just like with games, that doesn't just work.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
Deus Ex isn't a GREAT recommendation but it's at least in the same realm of Cyberpunk, but not open world. But if you're telling someone to go play Hades 'cause they're upset with Cyberpunk...like. What?
Hence the "/joke", not the best recommendation but... close! Maybe because i'm more into fantasy themes, but i think there's not a lot of cyberpunk themed games out there, no open world ones, afaik. I think Mirror's Edge has the same theme going on, but i'm not really suuuure...? But ME isn't an open world too.