• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I use it a fair bit, for the same reasons as everyone else. Even if it's just for secondary functions—weapon selection, menus, etc.—I like it to feel good and be accurate.

For fighting games and actual arcade ports I usually break out the arcade stick, though. But even then it's nice to have the option of using the pad if I want.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
analog sticks are exclusively for 3D movement in games;

2D platformers and fighting games is a D-Pad only party.

I also play Crash Bandicoot on D-Pad as God intended, thank you very much

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Menu navigation. I actually get aggravated if a game doesn't offer menu navigation with the d-pad.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
d-pad is like a black & white movie, worse at some things, better at others

turning on my ps2 and playing digital devil saga or something with a d-pad feels excellent

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I agree completely. I bought an snes controller to use for 2d games, hated it, and went back to using the stick on my pro controller

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Precision platformers. Retro games. Shmups. Fighting games. Puzzle games. Pretty much any 2D game. Etc. etc.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think 2d games are better with a stick.

There, I said it.
I6fPgPr.gif

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crash, THPS, fighting games and sidescrollers. Would never accept using anything else for those.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Fighting games. 2D Platformers. Sidescrollers. Beat-'Em-Ups. Shoot-'Em-Ups. Run-&-Gun games. Indie games. Metroidvanias. Puzzle games. I can go on.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
The Dead is one of the reasons I stuck with PS all these years. Stop making up nonsense.

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
My performance in Resident Evil skyrocketed when I finally switched to D-pad for tank controls. Took me way too long.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
While I must have Dpad for fighting games if I am ever playing it on a gamepad, I changed my mind on 2D platform after getting used to Hollow Knight with Joycon.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
The Dpad position on Sony's controllers is what makes me buy a lot of classic, or classically styled games (Sonic Mania, Crash Nsane Trilogy etc) on the platform over the other systems.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Streets of Rage 4 works better with a dpad.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I still use the d-pad. For some games, the d-pad feels better than the analog stick for me, so I like having the option to use either. Definitely playing some retro games on the PS4 feel more comfortable for me using the d-pad.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
there's too much travel between the stick being at neutral and when it's fully pushed in any direction. with a d-pad the change of unpressed to pressed is instantaneous.

i play 2D games and racing games this way because sticks just feel wrong. hell, if you play any of the Wipeout games with d-pad and just get good at using the trigger air brakes, you don't *need* the left stick at all.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Menu navigation. I actually get aggravated if a game doesn't offer menu navigation with the d-pad.
This was one of the reasons I bounced off of Genshin Impact after an hour. Just knowing that if I stuck with it, every time I opened the menu I'd try to navigate it with the D-pad, only to find it nonfunctional, and get mildly frustrated: why put myself through that when there are plenty of other games to play?

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
This was one of the reasons I bounced off of Genshin Impact after an hour. Just knowing that if I stuck with it, every time I opened the menu I'd try to navigate it with the D-pad, only to find it nonfunctional, and get mildly frustrated: why put myself through that when there are plenty of other games to play?
Haha! Exact same boat as me with that game! Add in the game using O for select and X for leave and I figured it wasn't a game for me.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even a genre thing.

If something only registers as a digital input with a discrete on/offf input in a game, UI, OS, etc the d-pad is the ideal input method for precision.

If control is analog-based, you obviously should use the analog stick.

You can still use the analog stick for digital inputs, but it's imprecise and inefficient. The idea that a d-pad should be obsolete is silly.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In addition to fighting games, SHMUPs benefit a lot from a d-pad. Some of them require pixel-precision.