• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So many indie platformer games need a good d-pad. Trying to play Celeste on the Switch was a nightmare. I had to buy an 8bitdo adapter so I could use my DS4 on my Switch to make it playable.
I use the Pokken controller for 2D games that I play docked. It's got a long cable and is generally an underated retro controller imo. I understand a wired controller isn't for everyone in 2020 though lol.

Last edited:

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I use the d-pad whenever it's possible. From navigating menus, to playing 2D games. It feels so much better.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Yeah you need a Dpad for 2D games. You probably haven't played anything demanding if you're fine playing them with a stick. Also find many racing games tend to control better with Dpad's too. Menu navigation is better also.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
  • All the time on any menu
  • Any 2D platformers
  • Some 3D platformers like Crash 4 where I want to move in absolute 8 way directions
  • Fighting games
  • Most retro games, as many of them are designed for 8 way movement
  • Any sort of grid based game, such as Disgaea, I'll use the d-pad
If you think about why d-pads are used in fighting games, it explains why they're useful in all of these other context.The d-pad allows you to switch between directions much faster, and has a very definite press, you always know exactly what you're getting with a d-pad, there's no inbetween, you're either pressing the input, or you're not. So that helps players be consistent with any game that requires precision.

On the whole I probably use the d-pad as much, if not more than the analog stick. It really depends what type of games you play. The popularity if first person shooters downplays the value of the d-pad in other genres.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Arcade sticks are assigned to digital / d-pad and aren't based on analog input.

D-Pad is pretty much invaluable for most arcade games and 2D platformers and side scroller titles.

Especially with games that require absolutely precise and small inputs such as STG's like Ikaruga, Crimzon Clover, Mushihimesama, or Radiant Silvergun rely on D-Pad input and are absolutely terrible with Analogue.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Anything 2d that requires quick precise inputs is best played on dpad. Analogue sticks have deadzones and need a lot more thumb travel in general, making them slower than dpads.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Fighting games.

I was at my cousin's house this weekend and his 13 year old daughter was playing Street Fighter V which she had gotten free on PS+ and oh my God she was trying to play with the analog stick.

So frustrating. Even after I showed her the benefits of using the d-pad for cardinal movements on Chun-Li (her character of choice) for proper charging of the moves (God bless her heart, she didn't know there were special moves and has been playing for weeks with just normals), and watching her gameplay improve I still saw her gravitate back and forth mid match between the analog stick and d-pad.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Playing a 2D sidescroller with an analog stick feels terrible. The stick has too much travel when switching from left to right directions. You can be much more reactive with a digital d-pad.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's useful for most 2D plats. Some are OK with a stick, I didn't mind celeste or super meat boy on stick.
Also some menus feel better on d pad.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Only monsters use analog sticks in 2D games. MONSTERS. Put good Dpads on controllers! This shouldn't be so damn hard. Looking at you Nintendo! Of all the companies to have bad Dpads...

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
It drives me nuts when you start a 2D game, and the dpad is disabled and only the analog controls it. Mildly drives me nuts when the same happens on menu screens.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To add to OP's opinion (which I mostly agree with) - I find it hilarious that people complain about the separated buttons on the joy con "d pad" (which - unless you have a tiny ass thumb - is hardly that different from a regular one in gameplay) while also complaining that the dpad on the pro controller isn't accurate. The separated buttons = more accuracy in a "dpad" than you could ever hope for.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely use it for 2D games that require a lot of precision, or any game that uses a grid for movement like SRPGs etc.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To add to OP's opinion (which I mostly agree with) - I find it hilarious that people complain about the separated buttons on the joy con "d pad" (which - unless you have a tiny ass thumb - is hardly that different from a regular one in gameplay) while also complaining that the dpad on the pro controller isn't accurate. The separated buttons = more accuracy in a "dpad" than you could ever hope for.
Do you play fighters? Cause if you did you would realize that buttons need to be a d pad or else they won't work well.

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
Just this year alone I've used the Dpad for MK11, Street Fighter V, Streets of Rage 4, Cuphead, menus in Final Fantasy X HD, and Crash 3. So I would say it's pretty important to have at least a comfortable Dpad.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
People are always complaining about the d-pads on controllers. Where they are placed. The way they feel and press but actually i could not care less? I never use a d-pad anymore since analog sticks came along. Even in 2d sidescrollers i use the analog stick. Why are people so obsessed with that d-pad and do you still use it? And why would you skip the analog stick in some games
because I use it for 2d games, is that weird?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's good for 2D games and menus.
Navigating menus with an analog stick mimicking a mouse pointer.
JZF.gif

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I can't wait until the kids who are growing up playing exclusively on touchscreens post threads wondering why we need buttons at all. Should be fun.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I actually don't mind hold to confirm for some games. Especially in some games with a critical decision you meant to select the other option instead with no way to undo your choice.

EVERYTHING is hold to confim. Want to go back? Hold to confirm. Want to go into a sub menu? Hold to confirm? Want to sell an item? Hold to confirm for every single item - no multiples.

It would truly be the menu from hell.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I play everything with the sticks, even 2D stuff, always way more comfy for me. But I still need a stellar and precise dpad for navigating menus and for quick-select functions.

Ryan_09

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
I'm a believer in using the right tool for the job. My games are split across platforms, so the necessity of a good D-pad varies. For example, the Switch is my primary system. I appreciate the Joy-Con buttons for what they accomplish regarding accessible multiplayer, but an optional Nintendo-made Joy-Con with a D-pad would be great. Despite that, I've found the tactility of the sticks to be surprisingly good alternatives. For PC I have a wide arrange of options for indie and retro games so that's a non-issue. I rarely play anything on Xbox or Playstation that would be better with a D-pad, so I'm happy as long as they're good enough for menu navigation. ^-^

Jun 2, 2019
I still use is extensively, in all kind of 2D games. The stick isn't effective on them unless it's gated, and not even Nintendo makes them like that anymore.