• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I drink almond milk. Oat milk is good but has a ton of calories. Regular milk at this point just completely grosses me out after so many years of not drinking it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Oat's the goat but only the chocolate flavoured one. For regular flavour, Soy does it for me.

That said, there is just something about the taste of the milk that feels "right" to my brain when I use for drinking coffee. Being lactose intolerant I am forced to opt for lactose-free milk, an option that is neither available everywhere and as said before, more expensive than regular milk.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who grew up on and still regularly drinks (reduced fat) milk I found relatively early in my life that milk can be pretty different between countries, obviously reflective of the cows/what their diets in different areas consist of/etc. I can't speak without some bias (like every regularly consumable diet it's easy to find anything "addicting" until you take steps to grow out of it and realize you don't need it), but southern Scandinavian stuff is totally up my alley. I can never drink milk solo though, it has to be to a meal (and even then it obviously doesn't apply to all meals) since I find the flavor on its own kind of tacky. But to a lot of stuff it's a great palette cleanser and a cold glass is like heaven. Conversely in Poland, I can't get into the milk there at all. I've tried several brands and they all taste so overbearingly bold to me that it feels like some kind of buttery gross mess. It's not bad for mixtures but I'd never drink it to a meal.

From my selective US memory I found the milk there adequate, but because of the aforementioned stuff I generally see traveling as an excuse to drink less milk, so I don't remember much of what it's like there. I do remember trying almond milk, and I was kind of underwhelmed by it? It wasn't "bad" but I felt the flavor profile was weird and lacking in subtlety, I want to say it felt bitter but googling "almond milk flavor" I get a bunch of results about it being sweeter than regular milk so I don't know if that'd be accurate to say, though I guess it could be the nutty element of it. I've yet to try oat milk, I might give it a shot just to see what I've been missing out on.

Vandova

Feb 14, 2018
I've been trying to cut dairy in general out of my diet, and I don't think there is any alternative. Oat milk is the only one I can "tolerate" but nothing comes close to whole milk for me.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
There is nothing wrong with dairy substitutes and they're often really good, but let's not pretend it tastes like real milk. And that's totally fine.

Unless someone invents the milk equivalent of impossible meat, then we should just let the non-dairy stuff exist on its own merits. So much of the unnecessary drama between vegans and non-vegans stem from people not wanting vegan substitutes that taste nothing like the real thing being pushed on them like they wouldn't notice any difference and it's a huge disservice to the awesome selection of delicious vegan products out there that are great because they don't compromise by imitating something it's not capable of presently.

Hopefully someday we can replace everything with stuff that tastes exactly like the "real" thing, though.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
Nope, they all taste rank. Same goes for pretty much all plant based alternatives. Ain't nothing better than the real thing.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most milk alternatives, while still better than dairy, have their own issues from a sustainability point of view. Things like oat are much more sustainable than almond for example.
Also, not all dairy is the same. There are regions where the environmental impact and impact to the animal well being are very much minimized. Check out dairy from the Azores.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The dairy industry is terrible but I love cheese.

Also fresh milk at the Minnesota state fair is one of life's great joys too. Like oh my God it's amazing.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
People who actually believe this are delusional.

Maybe youre delusional?

Ripple for instance is made of peas and has better nutrition than milk (similar protein, lower in fat/calories/carbs, same vitamins). They even make a half/half version you can use in place of cream in recipes.

Oat milk tastes better and comes the closest to the real thing.

Then on the horizon is actual lab grown dairy, identical to dairy (but also better nutrition, no lactose) https://perfectdayfoods.com/ available now in stores in ice creams.

I have some bad news for you about butter.

nope many great alternatives exist now too

miyokos.com

Miyoko's Organic Vegan Butter | Miyoko's Creamery

Elevate your culinary adventures with Miyoko’s cultured vegan butter. Bake with it, cook with it, spread it—your life will never be the same after you use it.

I've tried this before and it tastes so similar to the real thing its scary.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe youre delusional?

Ripple for instance is made of peas and has better nutrition than milk (similar protein, lower in fat/calories/carbs, same vitamins). They even make a half/half version you can use in place of cream in recipes.

Then on the horizon is actual lab grown dairy, identical to dairy (but also better nutrition, no lactose) https://perfectdayfoods.com/ available now in stores in ice creams.

miyokos.com

Elevate your culinary adventures with Miyoko’s cultured vegan butter. Bake with it, cook with it, spread it—your life will never be the same after you use it.

It's sold out though and I've never seen it in a store ...

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe youre delusional?

miyokos.com

Nobody is saying non-dairy is useless or worse in terms of nutrition, we're talking about whether it tastes like cow milk or not.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I need cream and butter for my pastry. Can't do a perfect ganache without that cow milk.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Alternative milks just don't have enough fats in them; they all are so watery. I don't like eating a bowl of cereal or a cookie with water.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I can't handle regular milk but all the alternatives I've tested are either awful or still make me sick.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I developed a milk allergy a few years ago and while the alternatives have been getting better in recent years the stuff that actually is comparable in price here are really terrible, either far too sugary or watery. There is only one type of soya that I used to like (Morrisons own brand) and they changed the recipe to be sugary, while Oatly's semi skimmed alternative is fine and the only one I can drink on its own, but significantly more expensive.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Most are pretty gross. I️ don't go through much milk so I'd rather use the real stuff when I️ do need it. I️ need to try oat milk however but it's pricey

Oct 27, 2017
I like oat milk, and wish it were cheaper around me, but let's not pretend they taste the same.

Similar taste profiles/usages, but that's about it.

As someone said earlier, there's no "Impossible Burger" equivalent for milk yet.

OP
OP

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I like oat milk, and wish it were cheaper around me, but let's not pretend they taste the same.

Who is pretending or even saying they taste the same again? 99% of people in this thread that had something good to say about milk alternatives have said they taste good or better - which obviously doesn't equate to tasting the same.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How can people like oat milk? Shit is fucking gross. It's like if you made a bowl oatmeal and put 20x the needed water, and then you just drink that stank ass diluted oat water. And it's stupidly expensive, it's just insanity.

Almond milk is pretty good, but it's awful for coffee. Soy milk is alright though.

OP
OP

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
How can people like oat milk? Shit is fucking gross. It's like if you made a bowl oatmeal and put 20x the needed water, and then you just drink that stank ass diluted oat water. And it's stupidly expensive, it's just insanity.

Almond milk is pretty good, but it's awful for coffee. Soy milk is alright though.

I live in Germany but it really depends on the brand and how they make it. For example, standard Alpro oat milk doesn't taste good in my experience.

Like I said in the OP, the one from Lidl and DM taste great here in Europe. The Oatly fat variant is supposed to be great as well but I never tried it because it is too expensive for my budget.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Soy and oat are my favourites, almond it too watery for my liking.

I'm not going to post it but people who consume dairy should watch Dairy is Scary on YouTube.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
A head of romaine lettuce (which is about 1 1/2 lbs) is $1.79. That's enough for 8 salads. Tomatoes are $1.29 a pound and you need a quarter of that at most. I can get an entire jar of green olives for $3.29 that comes with well over a 100 of them and you only need 4-6 for a salad. The cost of the dressing is insignificant, even when you take into account it has extra virgin olive oil. Similarly the amount of parmesan cheese used adds up to little.
Yes, you can easily make a salad for a $1. I know this because I do it all the time. And these are recommended portion sizes. But let's pretend you were somehow able to eat an entire head of lettuce and a pound of tomatoes - you're still talking ~$3 for 2 1/2 pounds of food.
I would like to know where you ger groceries but you are still wrong, that salad won't feed a person the same way meat would, if you want to eat healthy you need to add other things to that meal while many Americans will eat the stake with some potatoes and decide the salad is not worth it because it doesn't provide enough calories.

This video explains it better: https://youtu.be/HOE5QDDKDlY

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
i like alternative milks (almond or oat) with cereal, but for me they all taste horrible with coffee. yes, i know how to make coffee and heat milk properly. yes, i know there are 'barista' editions etc.

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to know where you ger groceries but you are still wrong, that salad won't feed a person the same way meat would, if you want to eat healthy you need to add other things to that meal while many Americans will eat the stake with some potatoes and decide the salad is not worth it because it doesn't provide enough calories.

This video explains it better: https://youtu.be/HOE5QDDKDlY
Fred Meyer is where I buy produce. And you know what? I can go another mile farther and get it at Sprouts for even less.
And you're going off on tangents to not admit you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Your original point was that salad is way more expensive than steak and I showed you you're wrong about that. Now you're bringing up unrelated nonsense that has nothing to do with that.

Here is your post I responded to " That's not how it works in North America where they give ridiculous subsidies to harmful industries like industrial meet and dairy. In Canada and the States, making a salad is literally more expensive than frying a stake, which makes no logic." That was your argument and it's completely wrong, as I showed you. Your statement had nothing to do with "won't feed a person the same way" or potatoes or whatever you're now prattling on about.

edit: And I started your video and right off the bat it's full of shit. 5 apples do not cost $10, not even at Whole Foods would they charge that insane an amount. An apple is about 1/3 to 1/2 a pound and you can buy apples, depending on variety, between $1 and $1.50 a pound.

Last edited:
OP
OP

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
There were people in the last couple pages who said something of the that effect.

The only one who said something "to that effect" I have seen is bye a few posts ago and he says they come "close enough" which is, of course, up to opinion. No one has said they taste the same in this thread and really - only some heavy misinterpretation of something someone said in this thread could lead to that conclusion.

AnythingElse

Oct 25, 2017
I think the major issue is people hate change, and the moment they try something else they go "Ew, that tastes bad."

When I first tried alternatives over a decade ago, I thought they were pretty underwhelming, but I grew up on regular milk so I only knew that taste. Now, I vastly prefer the alternatives, they are also healthier. I like unsweetened soy and almond milk (sucks almond is so hard on the environment). They taste great in my opinion. Sometimes you guys just need to try something new for a while, you'll get used to it.

Same goes for vegetable food alternatives.
Yup, I wholeheartedly agree on people resisting change, and honestly I don't even think any of the alternatives are all that bad to begin with.

Oct 27, 2017
The only one who said something "to that effect" I have seen is bye a few posts ago and he says they come "close enough" which is, of course, up to opinion. No one has said they taste the same in this thread and really - only some heavy misinterpretation of something someone said in this thread could lead to that conclusion.
Uhm, chill man.

Sorry for quoting you guys:
Before you write off oat milk you need to stop grabbing whatever your grocery store has off the shelf and go find this brand specifically:

Specifically "full fat." This is it. This is the milk killer. Everything else is a watery mess. - an ex-milk connoisseur
I tried almond milk for the first time a couple months ago and I can barely distinguish it from regular milk, so I just started buying that from now on. I'm lactose intolerant so it has helped a lot

^^^
These are from the last two pages, that I was reading. And that's not even counting ambiguous posts just saying Oat milk is the best (not clarifying what that means).

It was a simple comment. Idk why you're taking issue with me specifically.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Walmart brand unsweetened vanilla almond milk is $2/half gallon. It is the most milk-like of the varieties I've tried, and it's far and away the cheapest. Damn near the same cost as regular cow milk. My wife is dairy sensitive, and switching to this has made her life so much more pleasant!

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
Tried soy and almond milk. They're different drinks .But when a recipe needs milk, it's always cow milk that works the best. Now I diversify and buy less cow milk but these different drinks don't substitute it.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The only ones that are actually good to just drink straight are rice, flax, and soy milk. Nut milks (including coconut) are good for cooking/baking, but to pour on cereal or to drink? No.

OP
OP

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Uhm, chill man.

Sorry for quoting you guys:

^^^
These are from the last two pages, that I was reading. And that's not even counting ambiguous posts just saying Oat milk is the best (not clarifying what that means).

It was a simple comment. Idk why you're taking issue with me specifically.

You are already counting ambiguous posts, though.

The first one says it's a "milk killer" - whatever that means. No mention there of it tasting the same as cow milk.

The other guy said he, himself, can barely the difference between almond milk and cow milk. He may be pretending? But he isn't telling anyone that it tastes the same. He only speaks for himself.

Otherwise when someone says something "is the best", they probably just mean that they think it tastes better, as that is what it generally means.

And not sure why you are thinking I take issue with you specifically - this is a forum, I made a thread and I naturally respond to some that post in said thread. Nothing more to it. I even responded to two people that said the same thing as you but unfortunately got no response.

Oct 27, 2017
And not sure why you are thinking I take issue with you specifically - this is a forum, I made a thread and I naturally respond to some that post in said thread. Nothing more to it. I even responded to two people that said the same thing as you but unfortunately got no response.
Maybe it's because you're being really aggressive?

You took normal english expressions like "let's not pretend", "barely tell the difference" and made extremely literal statements out of them to support your argument.

Like I'm done with this interaction, but just wanted to let you know, that you're coming off real strong.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
The only milk substitute where I genuinely couldn't tell the difference was some delicious oat milk ice cream shake I had not long ago and it was pretty much just as calorie dense as the real thing so maybe that's why lol. Substitutes can definitely taste good and are generally better for the environment but when I see it:

1)readily available pretty much anywhere
2)close to the real thing in pretty much every way from taste and texture to ingredient usage
3)just as affordable if not more so

then you can ask that question sincerely and not before imo, and nothing hits all 3 of those yet. Will be great when it happens since said product will likely be significantly more sustainable than the real thing

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I wholeheartedly agree on people resisting change, and honestly I don't even think any of the alternatives are all that bad to begin with.
Yeah, they are their own unique tastes. It's not like everything needs to be a perfect 1:1 replacement of tastes we enjoy. Branch out and enjoy new things! Plus, it's good for yourself, and the environment.

OP
OP

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Maybe it's because you're being really aggressive?

You took normal english expressions like "let's not pretend", "barely tell the difference" and made extremely literal statements out of them to support your argument.

Like I'm done with this interaction, but just wanted to let you know, that you're coming off real strong.

So just like you did? Glad you somewhat got I was going for at least.

You started with interpreting posts that didn't state what you said and made a literal aggressive statement out of it, as in that people in this thread were "pretending they taste the same". With such a antagonistic presumption, of course any rebuttal will come off as similarily antagonistic.

Otherwise, I was asking the other two posters where people say in this thread that they taste the same. If that is aggressive then any rebuttal is "aggressive".

Last edited:

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I drink Oatmilk primarily, but I still cook with whole milk, cream and butter because I havent personally used a product that matches the flavors it helps bring out in dishes I prepare. Doesnt mean they're bad, just not up to the standard that I want to see yet. They'll probably get there in the future and I'll be all aboard the train.