• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We go through a lot of milk alternatives here and while I can accept it for some things... every time I get regular milk after not having it for a while it becomes so obvious to me how the alternatives pale

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Yep, i tried this one and they're getting really close now to the original in taste and texture.

zAUdD1E.png

notco.com

NotCo - food made with plants. Why not?

Same taste, but plant-based. A food revolution has started. Know the future of food. Why not?

Ingredients

Water, Pea Protein, Contains less than 2% of: Coconut Oil, Chicory Root Fiber, Pineapple Juice Concentrate, Sugar, Sunflower Oil, Virgin Coconut Oil, Cabbage Juice Concentrate, Natural Flavors, Salt, Gum Acacia, Gellan Gum, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D2. Contains coconut.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'd move over completely if I could find one that tastes good in tea.

Oatley Barista edition is fantastic in coffee, can't see myself every going back.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
I've been trying to stop eating cow products. Oat milk the best alternative I've found but still haven't been able to completely stop drinking it. Not eating beef in contrast is much easier.

Oct 25, 2017
None of the alternatives compare to whole milk and you are crazy if you believe so. I will use oat milk for my coffee drinks but that is about it's

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I've tried the alternatives. They can taste pretty good, but they taste absolutely nothing like milk. It's frustrating when people suggest they are a valid substitute based on taste.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Cow milk is nasty. People that can drink just a glass of cow milk straight up are certified psychotic

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Haven't had cows milk in a couple years after switching to almond milk. I've tried oat milk and it's decent and better for the environment.

Almond milk is bad for the honeybee population since harvesting almonds kills a lot of bees. I need to switch to oat milk but it's harder to find.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure a lot of my recipes for things like fudge, caramel, etc, would work without cream, condesnsed milk, evaporated milk, etc. I'm sure there are versions that can use alternatives, but it would completely alter the character of the final product.

Has anyone tried to make relatively simple things like chocolate chip cookies with non-dairy milk? Genuinely curious how much it differs.

Nov 18, 2020
Cow milk is nasty. People that can drink just a glass of cow milk straight up are certified psychotic
Omg this. I also feel this way with red meat (warning: NSFL):

www.mirror.co.uk

Bacon with nipple still on is horrifying meat-eaters - secret behind it is worse

One person who worked with butchers in retail admitted there was a secret game they played with nipple bacon

Like the concept of chugging down a glass of milk is just way too gross. Yeah Oat Milk doesn't compare to regular milk 1:1 but I never could drink milk straight up. It would always have to be integrated into something else like coffee or baked goods.

So far Cashew Milk or the Pea Milk alternatives are the closest I've found, but they're not always easy or cheap to find.

OP
OP

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Sorry but UK here; it's less than 80p for a carton of almond, I think oat and soy in Aldi. Own brands are fine and dirt cheap.

If up North and have a Heron too the posher brands are regularly less than 70p.

Yeah, every country that has Aldi or Lidl should generally have cheap milk alternatives with their in-house brand at least in the western part of Europe.

Last edited:

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I only drink about 5 litres of milk per year so haven't really thought about alternatives. I tried almond milk but it was nasty and too sweet.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I tried Almond Breeze once and it was disgusting. Tastes like almond vitamin, but too watery. I guess I just don't like almond lol

Since then I haven't tried any new alternative because I suppose they all are too watery. I believe it's hard to replicate the more dense texture and flavor of milk. Maybe I can try coconut milk, it doesn't seem too bad

unfortunately it's hard to find much alternatives here in Brazil, it's usually almond or soy, I think.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Every milk alternative is significantly worse than milk. Oat milk is disgusting.

I normally don't have issues with trying alternative milks vs cow milk but I've had a few oatmilk lattes as well as oatmilk in my oatmeal before and they've wrecked my stomach afterwards. No idea why and this was on three separate occasions.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm on mil alternatives for the better part of the year now (fresh vegetarian since the first lockdown) and yeah some of the alternatives are amazing. My favorite is Alpro Barista Oat Milk. It just makes any coffee taste amazing. It's also super expensive tho.

The cheaper variants like soy or almond milk from Lidl are good tho and make no difference to me when I eat my MĂĽsli in the morning.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I definitely prefer oat milk in coffee now even if i buy regular old cow milk too.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
I know it's branding/marketing thing but it amazing it's allowed to be called oat/almond/whatever milk. It's literally not milk.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I've developed a mild lactose intolerance unfortunately (luckily still relatively ok with cheese in moderation). But none of the alternatives come close to full fat cow milk for me. So I mostly just avoid all forms of it now.

OP
OP

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I know it's branding/marketing thing but it amazing it's allowed to be called oat/almond/whatever milk. It's literally not milk.

It actually isn't in some countries like Germany for example.

But I call it milk because it's essentially the substitute for everything I used cow milk with before.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
There was a time in my life I'd drink 2-3 gallons of milk a week. Now I drink about a gallon a week. I love ost milk as an alternative and it has taken over about 75% of my overall milk consumption.

Soy and almond milk are either lacking in nutrition, cost too much, and/or are worse for the environment than oat milk, so oat is the way to go imo.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I drink milk in my cappuccino, there is no alternative to cow milk for me. Hated everything I tried. Oat milk was especially terrible. Urgh

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just keep a stack of these in my fridge. They last for up to 3 months and they go on sale every 2-3 weeks.
I like the oatmeal creamy flavor too.

6000200431906.jpg

cairngorm

Oct 25, 2017
I try to avoid dairy where I can since it seems to do bad things to my skin. I use almond milk, it does not taste as good as dairy but I mainly use it in recipes where the difference isn't very noticeable to me. Oat milk is more expensive than almond where I live but I do like the taste(I try to make it myself sometimes).

My wife is vegan so I've tried many milk alternatives, and mostly don't agree. HOWEVER, if you get a chance try products made by Perfect Day, the latest of which is ice cream made by Brave Robot. It is dairy, whey and casein, but grown by vegan microflora. Tastes perfectly like dairy. Cool stuff. https://perfectdayfoods.com/process/

This is really interesting

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
I was lactose intolerant for a while and stopped having dairy products. After not having cow milk for several months, I now prefer oat/soya/pea milk to dairy. I can have dairy milk now, but it tastes pretty gross tbh.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I think the major issue is people hate change, and the moment they try something else they go "Ew, that tastes bad."

When I first tried alternatives over a decade ago, I thought they were pretty underwhelming, but I grew up on regular milk so I only knew that taste. Now, I vastly prefer the alternatives, they are also healthier. I like unsweetened soy and almond milk (sucks almond is so hard on the environment). They taste great in my opinion. Sometimes you guys just need to try something new for a while, you'll get used to it.

Same goes for vegetable food alternatives.

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend has cut down all dairy milk recently. We've been trying a few different brands and plants... They are OK, but we find they are too sugary. They really have much more sugar than dairy milk. That's really the only drawback for us.

Well, that, and the price. They are noticeably more expensive than regular milk here.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Fortified oat milk here. Love it. I used to drink a ton of milk. Trying to cut out dairy products.

Only dairy i have anymore is greek yogurt and some cheese here and there.

Oat milk london fog. Try it yall!

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Cow milk is mediocre. Switched to soy years ago, and also recently started drinking oat.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
That's not how it works in North America where they give ridiculous subsidies to harmful industries like industrial meet and dairy. In Canada and the States, making a salad is literally more expensive than frying a stake, which makes no logic.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I've tried other ones like oat milk or soy and they all either taste like shit or are expensive. Cravendale is still king for the ol' morning porridge.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would try other milks if they were cheaper. Almond milk wasn't bad when I tried it. Oat Milk, I've never tried.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Milk production is so destructive for the environment (and for the poor suffering cows who get treated terribly) that if you can easily switch for a substitute I don't see why not.

I know adopting veganism is very challenging in today's society, but little substitutions like this are incredibly easy to accomplish with few downsides. Basically every coffee shop nowadays has at least some form of alternative milk, and so do many restaurants.

Rhino milk is for baby rhinos
Dog milk is for baby dogs
Cat milk is for baby cats
Rat milk is for baby rats
...but cow milk is for humans? Seems really bizarre if you ask me.
I have a friend who preaches this every time he cuts my hair. He sees a huge hole in the market and wants to be in the lead in bringing human breast milk to the masses.

I laugh at his passion but it's a good point. Why do we shun our own milk and only give it to babies?

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love milk but due to health reasons I had to switch to Almond Milk. It's almost as good at twice the price :(