• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is your favorite villain?

• Saren

Votes: 307 35.0%
  • Sovereign

Votes: 226 25.8%
  • Harbinger

Votes: 50 5.7%
  • The Illusive Man

Votes: 279 31.8%
  • I'm a monster and I like Kai Leng

Votes: 15 1.7%

• Total voters

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry if you pick anyone else besides Saren your just wrong flat out.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
The conversation with Soverign is easily the best moment in the Mass Effect series. He and Saren will never be matched in the series again.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to say Illusive Man but Mass Effect is at its best for me with the "shades of grey" morality he & Cerberus represent in ME2 rather than the outright antagonistic nature of ME3.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
I want to say Illusive Man but Mass Effect is at its best for me with the "shades of grey" morality he & Cerberus represent in ME2 rather than the outright antagonistic nature of ME3.
There's nothing Morally grey about Cerberus though. Mass Effect 2 just ignored all the heinous shit they've done and turned every other figure of authority into a drooling imbecile to make TIM look good by comparison.

Jul 30, 2019
Vancouver
I know some people think it's lame, but I loved the Sovereign reveal in ME1. It was an oooo-shit moment for me, just like Revan in KOTOR. Sovereign for me. Saren and Illusive Man were good too.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I always loved Sovereign for their big speech at the end of ME1. In the span of a 5 minutes or so conversation, they establish themselves as this overwhelmingly powerful enemy, one you can't even fathom how you're going to defeat by the end of the series (either that or it's just a large amount of hubris at that point lol). Even after you roll credits in ME1 and beat the game's final boss, the encounter with Sovereign gives you enough of a taste of what's to come, and personally it made me really excited to see what would come next in the series.

"You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it." is perhaps one of my favorite lines delivered by an antagonist in a video game series.

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK
I think Saren is the best villain in the series. Well it's the one I can remember the most as the others I have little to no memory of.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The conversation with Sovereign in ME1 is the lamest shit; they have this guy come out just talking shit about how "yOu CaNNoT UnDErStaNd Us", "wE'rE toO CoOL 4 U mAAN"

I liked how ominous and threatening it sounded, but it ultimately basically amounted to what you're saying. I find it hard to appreciate that scene now knowing what becomes of the reapers.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're right and I absolutely will admit that you are.

However for some reason I found him adorably charming, in a way that I could kick his ass and he kept coming. Like sure it was clear he wasn't on the level of The Reaper's? I can also see why it could harm the series having a villain like him, but for whatever reason it worked and I found them fun.

No, no I totally get it. Harbinger failed to land for me but I absolutely get that this villain who is just hamming it right up the entire game could be endearing, especially since we only find out he's a Reaper right in the endgame.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Saren without a doubt

Sovereign was cool thanks to the dialogue scene with them, but Saren felt more ambiguous and conflicted as a villain.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Sovereign.

"You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it."

Nuff said.

Saren and IM are indoctrinated little whiny weirdos, Harbinger wrote a "cool villain" cheque he never bloody cashed, and Kai Leng is Kai Leng.

5DF4EFBD393FF746F9225DE74CE6B87F4868F5E6

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
The Illusive Man in ME2 is the best, but he's not a villain.
Then in ME3 he is sort of a villain, but they absolutely ruined him as a character.

So idk if I should vote for the illusive man.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I'm of the opinion that 2 is better than 1 in practically every way. Except 1 has the better villain in Saren. One of the most underrated villains in gaming imo.

lizzardpt

Feb 6, 2019
I voted for Saren, which is hands down the best villain the series had.

Sovereign and Harbinger I saw more like forces of nature, because for them this is a normal thing to do, they don't see it as good or evil, it just is.

The Illusive ManI saw more as an antagonist.

Kai Leng was a disaster in the game. I liked him a whole lot more in the novel.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not Troy Baker, that's for sure

ME2 being my favorite I'll say the illusive Martin Sheen

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Gotta go with Sovereign here, that reveal near the end is the best scene in the trilogy. But Saren is also really interesting.

TIM would've been great, but they completely ruined him in ME3.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Sovereign was intimidating and mysterious. Also, just a disapassionate being and not a "rawrrrr me mad" evil guy. And he made Saren his pet just because!

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Saren = Sovereign > Illusive Man > Harbinger > Random side-character villain > Getting stuck on top of a box forcing you to reload > Kai Lang

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That is because Mass Effect 3 ruined them
Everyone says this, but Sovereign got his butt kicked conventionally in ME1 and was blown to space dust.

"We're beyond your comprehension! We're immortal! We're unstoppable! We're... ow. Ow! Hey! Stop that! OW! STOP THAT! OWWWW! I'll tell the other Reapers about this!"
d9qa5hc-db86b14e-7158-41eb-8d22-68d9adb6afcc.gif

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Sovereign. The conversation you have with it on Virmire is the apex of the series IMO.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kai Leng is absolutely beautiful. They clearly tried SO hard to make a "cool" villain. They flubbed so completely that it is endearing. They want him to be intimidating, but he is such a pathetic character. It is wonderful. Kai Leng is art.
Saren = Sovereign > Illusive Man > Harbinger > Random side-character villain > Getting stuck on top of a box forcing you to reload > Kai Lang
You two should talk.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Everyone says this, but Sovereign got his butt kicked conventionally in ME1 and was blown to space dust.

"We're beyond your comprehension! We're immortal! We're unstoppable! We're... ow. Ow! Hey! Stop that! OW! STOP THAT! OWWWW! I'll tell the other Reapers about this!"
Well I mean, wiping out civilizations again and again will do that to you. They've probably rarely known defeat because they didn't fight the oh so special human race until now lol

People really gonna go on about pretentious cthulu aliens when humans in scifi are the biggest snowflakes

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Saren.

I always thought The Illusive Man was overhyped. I know people blame ME3 for ruining his nuance, but even in Mass Effect 2 Cerberus was such a blatantly immoral organization and it was also the same rinse, lather and repath that any cell doing truly heinous experiments crimes were totally always renegade cells that TIM somehow never caught wind of. So as the leader he was either lying or incompetent that so much shit was constantly going down under his watch.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of surprised Saren isn't landsliding. Him and the universe itself are easily the best part of 1.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Saren.
His French voice was so goddamn cool.

He also had the coolest design and was overall a very good and tragic antagonist.
I vividly remember wanting him back to be a squadmate in some way or another lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That was one Reaper against the entire Citadel fleet, while he was mind controlling Saren into activating the relay to Dark Space.

Like yeah it's cathartic but the game emphasizes right afterwards that this is a victory that will never be achieved again, an the battles ahead will be much more difficult.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
How was the illusive man working for the reapers when he was instrumental in stopping the reapers plans in Mass Effect 2?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How was the illusive man working for the reapers when he was instrumental in stopping the reapers plans in Mass Effect 2?

He got indoctrinated, by the latest when he salvaged the Collector Base at the end of Mass Effect 2.

Anyway was he really "instrumental" when the Collector abductions were a minuscule part of the overall Reaper plan that they, presumably, immediately restart once they land on Earth? Not to mention Cerberus only gets involved because the Alliance decides mass disappearances of human colonies isn't a big deal because they were all jerks anyway.

Like it feels as if all I really achieved in Mass Effect 2 was, directly or not, handing a base full of Reaper technology to a definite madman who then immediately got brainwashed by it.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Sovereign and Harbinger do nothing for me. I didn't realise what a big deal the Sovereign speech was for a lot of people until I saw the Raycevik video.

Saren was pretty cool and had a cool theme, but TIM is on another level and has one of the best pieces of music in the trilogy to his name:

Sure, he gets a bit lame in ME3, but his awesomeness in 2 makes up for it.

Had this as my wallpaper on my laptop for my previous job:

illusive-man-wallpaper.jpg

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The short version is that The Illusive Man wanted to use Reaper tech to give humanity dominance in the galactic society, which is why he asks Shepard to spare the Collector base in ME2. Whether Shepard spares or destroys the Collector base, Cerberus' main goal is still to harness Reaper tech, and it's part of the lore that long-term exposure to Reaper tech has lead to indoctrination.

So by the end of ME3, TIM has fallen prey to indoctrination, just like Saren.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That was one Reaper against the entire Citadel fleet, while he was mind controlling Saren into activating the relay to Dark Space.

Like yeah it's cathartic but the game emphasizes right afterwards that this is a victory that will never be achieved again, an the battles ahead will be much more difficult.
So basically, Sovereign is the Radditz to Nappa and Vegeta showing up later.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
This makes me realize that even though Mass Effect 3 had "three" villains (Harbinger, TIM and Kai Leng) it felt like it had none.

My only issue with Saren is that his current design should've been the one at the end of the game. He would start mostly normal and get more and more augmented with each encounter. Which is something the game actually suggest is the case, even though we don't see it.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019

I mean that was against all the armies of the entire galaxy combined and it still wasn't enough, Shepherd had to defeat Saren for them to win. That implies a lot about how powerful the Reapers are if it takes all that just to defeat one