• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is your favorite villain?

• Saren

Votes: 307 35.0%
  • Sovereign

Votes: 226 25.8%
  • Harbinger

Votes: 50 5.7%
  • The Illusive Man

Votes: 279 31.8%
  • I'm a monster and I like Kai Leng

Votes: 15 1.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For this poll, I'm only considering the main ones and not villains from DLCs or a specific quest. Feel free to give spoilers and justify your vote.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Have to go with the classic and say Sovereign. He had such an ominous presence.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Saren is the only reasonable choice. The reapers fucking suck and the Illusive Man is barely around.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Sovereign easily. He has the biggest villain "presence" and his conversation with Shepherd was the most memorable I think of all the villains.

Tbh I'll also say the Shadow Broker. I think it was pretty interesting how he used to be the Shadow Broker's pet but took over the organization himself. I wish more had been done with him

Last edited:

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I take any criticism of the Big Bads of Mass Effect and raise you one ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, most of these are worthy bad guys, but hear me out...

... Which one of them would eat your cereal?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I thought long and hard about this just now and I think I have to go with Sovereign. It only has one scene as an actual character but the strength of that scene singlehandedly sells the premise of an entire trilogy.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saren was a man with enough self confidence to think he could pull a fast one over a fleet of eldritch machine gods and that's life goals so he's got my vote.

Sovereign was cool but made retroactively useless and pathetic by ME3, and Harbinger always talked like a 13-year old on Counterstrike who was mad that you kept on headshotting him.

The only struggle I have in choosing between TIM and Kai Leng is which one is more awful.

Jan 4, 2018
Harbinger in ME2.

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.
I WILL DIRECT THIS PERSONALLY
THIS HURTS YOU.
If I must tear you apart, Shepard, I will.

Sadly, they ruined Harbinger in ME3. He is completely silent, weak and almost non-existent.

Same for the Illusive Man. He is super interesting in ME2, he's just a pawn in ME3.

Last edited:

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno that she's my favourite, but I really liked Brooks, from Citadel. Love a good betrayal.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Kai Leng is absolutely beautiful. They clearly tried SO hard to make a "cool" villain. They flubbed so completely that it is endearing. They want him to be intimidating, but he is such a pathetic character. It is wonderful. Kai Leng is art.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
They botched The Illusive man in the third game from what I remember. Martin Sheen puts in WORK though....

Still, it's gotta be Saren. The final conversation with him is a top 3 moment

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kai Leng is absolutely beautiful. They clearly tried SO hard to make a "cool" villain. They flubbed so completely that it is endearing. They want him to be intimidating, but he is such a pathetic character. It is wonderful. Kai Leng is art.

I am kind of coming around to him.

It was the email he sends after Thessia that's clinching it for me.

tumblr_m1ue7jfEnu1qdydf6o1_500.jpg

Someone thought this would genuinely incite the player into seeking vengeance against the new unstoppable villain. Someone thought this was a good idea.

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Sovereign. That conversation Shepard has with it towards the end of ME1 is one of my favourite moments in the whole series.

Edit - ha, Tuorom already beat me to it. I think we even linked the same video!

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Someone thought this would genuinely incite the player into seeking vengeance against the new unstoppable villain. Someone thought this was a good idea.

imagine him giggling all the way while typing the email, then almost pressing "send" and thinking "fuck they wont remember who am i, i need to sign"

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
There's only one villain in Mass Effect that you can recruit and bone... and die from said boning.

Why is she not here?

Morinth002.png

EDIT: Yes I am aware that it's technically my fault for my lack of restraint, and YES I was warned... but how was I supposed to know there'd be consequences for my actions?!

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
Can't say I ever really cared for the Reapers. Saren is cool, but the Illusive Man (I'm just going to ignore ME3 here) is cooler.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I forgot about this email. In all seriousness, Kai Leng could've been a "better" villain without the edgy part.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
imagine him giggling all the way while typing the email, then almost pressing "send" and thinking "fuck they wont remember who am i, i need to sign"

Maybe that's just how he signs his roasting emails.

He'll send one to Thane's son and it's like

Good, you opened this message. This isn't the hospital.

Your dad was a legend, but I guess that makes me a legend killer. He should feel honored he was ended by his better.

Now I have to wipe all his blood off of my Mass Effect field powered custom katana. Guess after he died the only thing that's left of him will fall down the drain of my sink.

KL

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sovereign.
It's creepy as shit when it turns out this massive space ship is in fact a reaper AND it talks

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
It's Saren.

Illusive Man is okay in ME2 but sucks in 3 and Sovereign's one scene is great but in hindsight it basically set the franchise up for something it could never live up to.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely Sovereign for me. His hologram speech in the first game is one of the most memorable moments in the entire trilogy.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The conversation with Sovereign in ME1 is the lamest shit; they have this guy come out just talking shit about how "yOu CaNNoT UnDErStaNd Us", "wE'rE toO CoOL 4 U mAAN"