• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Surprisingly few pics for a thread like this.

What are some aspects of these characters' designs that you like?

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Surprised no one's said Orisa yet. I love how different she is compared to any of the other heroes. Plus, she's adorable.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
From a design standpoint of a character that has to basically be the face of the game and the appeal the design has, it has to be Tracer.

But I enjoy most of the character designs in Overwatch, they all have great shilouttes and maximum appeal, in fact its a game that one of the things why it sells so much, I bought it more for the character designs than anything else as Im really not too much into multipolayer competitive games.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Overall, Ana.

It takes a careful eye for design to effortlessly sell the idea of a healer sniper, but Blizzard was uncannily clever here. Making the character a capable 60-year-old soldier and the mother of another character were both great moves. Her skins are all great, too; the vanilla skins all contribute to her backstory as a rugged survivor (Wasteland/Horus) and mysterious fugitive (Shrike/Bastet), whereas the holiday/event skins are wonderful stuff in their own right. Snow Owl and Corsair are both top-tier, and Cabana absolutely nails the "grandma watching the kids play while on vacation" look:

The emotes are excellent as well. Beach Ball even makes the ball persist for a few seconds afterward, giving a pre-game spawn room yet another thing to play around with while everyone waits. And the one where she gives out Halloween candy by dropping it on the floor (and giving a little wave) is just so perfectly her.

IMO, Ana has the most good skins, emotes, victory poses, etc. of the whole roster.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Well since Zen already got picked...

015d1780e97c3c6f43627571771b5d4412fed090v2_hq.jpg

The only Hanzo skin I'll ever need.
until those fucking cowards give us an OW version of his newest skin from HOTS

Still one of Zarya's best skins

Bascially the whole Blackwatch look. Well, expect for the ridiculous armor for Moria, but otherwise it's way better than her messy default.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
the fact that almost every hero has been mentioned in this thread at least once just goes to show how blizzard absolutely nailed the aesthetic for this game and why so many people spend a ton of money on skins

my top 5 just based on style

1. reinhardt

1200px-Reinhardt-portrait.png

2. zenyatta

f63d9158-60d0-4191-bde6-deb783c3ef86.jpg

3. lucio

lucio.jpg

4. tracer

tracer_overwatch.0.0.jpg

5. ana

Ana.0.jpg

can't even say there's one bad looking design too!

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Zenyatta and Mei as an overall package, if we're talking abilities and personality then Zarya as well (sorry, I just don't much like any of her skin designs even though I played her an awful lot).

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
If we're just talking designs, Zenyatta or Roadhog. If it's the whole package, I'd lean closer to Zarya or Ana.

Surprised no one's said Orisa yet. I love how different she is compared to any of the other heroes. Plus, she's adorable.
I like Orisa and it works great in the main game, but her design suffers a bit in the same way Bastion does. The Uprising event just really highlighted how they were one of many clones. Kind of takes a little wind out of their sails for me.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pharah would be my favorite, though it's hard to know how much is from her design and how much is from how she plays.

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
Sombra's character design. Hands down. I rarely play her, but her design is great.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
The whole Overwatch cast is a master class in character design. The instantly recognizable, animation school of design, styling of each hero's silhouette are really top notch here. Hard to choose just one, but my personal fave is the frozen slay kween... Mei!
tumblr_inline_pd7ceubGtm1scxxmu_1280.jpg

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite character is whoever i am winning with atm. I love them all.

The only design I'm not 100% on, is Hammond. The squirrel whatever he is, doesn't have much personality.
The ideia of the hero itself is good, but there's something about the design of the creature I don't like.

OP
OP

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The whole Overwatch cast is a master class in character design. The instantly recognizable, animation school of design, styling of each hero's silhouette are really top notch here. Hard to choose just one, but my personal fave is the frozen slay kween... Mei!
tumblr_inline_pd7ceubGtm1scxxmu_1280.jpg
Downloading that pic for later in case anyone ever doubts Overwatch's top tier charcter design.

Overwatch also has amazing first person animation.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Zenyatta practically sold me on the game instantly when I loaded up the beta.
Everything about his design, personality and animations come together to really sell the robo monk angle.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I really love all the designs and overall aesthetic of OW...
But Im so bad at competitive FPS that its all wasted for me

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch has the best character design of any game ever, and Ana is literally the best designed character of all time.

tumblr_oa7qn5g6su1qzh2aio8_540.gif

These characters are iconic and deserve to be used more in character based genres like fighting games

Deleted member 9972

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that we're seeing just about every hero named in this thread really shows how big of a strength the character design has been. I'm not sure I could pick a favorite. They're all so unique and not in the bad sort of way.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're all good. Some are fucking great, though.

Brigitte is absolutely my favourite. The power armour is just beautiful. I have the RÓD (??) skin which is her basic skin in white and red and I just love it so much.

I love D.Va's default, too. It's just a wonderful bit of design.

Roadhog is cool. Ana is cool. Sombra is amazing. Zarya is fucking dope. So many good designs in that game. It feels unfair to pick out just a few.

ALSO ZENYATTA! Mah boi!

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Shame Brig is so broken meta wise, she's a great mini-Rein that further establishes the friendship Rein and Torb have..