• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is Xbox's best first-party developer?

• One of the new Bethesda studios

Votes: 424 57.4%
  • One of Xbox's original 15 first-party developers

Votes: 315 42.6%

• Total voters

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
Arkane, PG and I.D for me. Coalition are right up there in terms of talent, Gears 5 was a technical masterpiece that doesn't get enough credit.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Obsidian made Fallout New Vegas. The other developers did not make Fallout New Vegas.

So it's Obsidian.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Obsidian and Arkane are probably tied. I'm a HUGE fan of the Dishonored games and Deathloop is looking mighty slick.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
Posted without realising I was in good company with so many Arkane fans.

Let's hope MS money and Game Pass access allows their new project to get the time and attention it deserves.

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
I completely forgot about Ninja Theory. Less than a year ago they were considered the crown jewel in XGS lol.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
ID and Playground.

I think Arkane make decent games, gameplay wise. They're very creative and interesting from a mechanical perspective but I really don't think they're especially good at story telling.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I rate Arkane higher than any first party studio in existence right now so its easily them.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I love PG's output this gen but overall it is id or Bethesda and it is not particularly close.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
It's iD. Don't really think most of the others come close if I'm looking at it as honestly as I can.

Personally though, I'll never stop swinging the bat for Obsidian.

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
Arkane without a doubt. I'm excited for them to have this stability and can't wait to see what they can pull off next. Looking forward to Deathloop when it finally heads over.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I can't choose right now. If Playground ends up making a great Fable game, then I think they should get the nod. Verdict is still out on that tho.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda has some great studios. I like Arkane, id, and ZoS a lot.

But I think Ninja Theory is going to be their best studio going forward. Partly because they are my favorite studio MS owns and partly because I think that with MS funding they are going to consistently drop classics.

I'd also put Obsidian up there.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I think it might just be Playground. Their games are just so insanely well made. They're working off of a base that Turn 10 created, of course. Turn 10 and id are probably all in the running for me.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Current id Software speaks to my sensibilities a lot right now, but Playground Games hasn't let me down so far and I'm excited that they're handling Fable's comeback. Hmmmm tough call.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Hard to say until we see first projects from a lot of these studios under Microsoft.

If Playground manage to make a great Fable game, then I'd say they are heir best studio at that point, because they'll have conclusively demonstrated they can do more than great racing games.

If Avowed really is a new competitor to the Elder Scrolls-style big RPG, and does it better, then they would likely be up there too.

In terms of mindshare or prestige, it's Bethesda Game Studios, and it's not even close. Skyrim has sold over 30 million copies.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original 15 are much more likely to come up with something inspired, like break out of their shell Guerilla Games style. Bethesda will just do the same stale thing they've always done, like reheating old porridge.

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
Man, didn't realize there was so much love for Arkane. I really loved Dishonored 2 so maybe I'll have to give Prey a spin.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
It was Playground games and it still is Playground games.
I guess 343 get the most support but hopefully that gets more evenly spread around next gen.