• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is/was your favorite American late-night talk show host?

• Johnny Carson

Votes: 102 13.0%
  • Jay Leno

Votes: 17 2.2%
  • Jimmy Fallon

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Conan O'Brien

Votes: 443 56.4%
  • Stephen Colbert

Votes: 145 18.5%
  • David Letterman

Votes: 228 29.0%
  • Jimmy Kimmel

Votes: 15 1.9%

• Total voters

cjbenny

Oct 29, 2017
I was born right around the time Johnny Carson ended his run at the Tonight Show, but he was such an influence on the damn industry that even I knew who he was growing up. Thanks to YouTube, I can relive a lot of the classic Carson moments/interviews and it's easy to see why he was so revered. For me personally, Conan has to be at the top. I urge everyone to watch his Dartmouth commencement speech to see how funny and intelligent the guy is. Forgive my primarily American poll, I don't really have much familiarity with late-night hosts of other nations. If I did, then Graham Norton would definitely be there.

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
No Letterman? He wouldn't even be my vote (that would be 90's Conan), but he should 100% be there.

OP
OP
cjbenny

cjbenny

Oct 29, 2017
Begging your forgiveness, first time I created a thread and I accidentally posted before finishing the poll!

Window

Oct 27, 2017
What are these results. It's Letterman. Maybe Conan after that. Never saw Carson. And where's Ferguson?

OP
OP
cjbenny

cjbenny

Oct 29, 2017
Man, now that I'm looking at this list I realized just how many folks I missed. John Oliver, Craig Ferguson, Bill Maher (ahem, for anyone who likes the guy). James Corden as well.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Being European I was never really aware of Carson, he simply wasn't even on TV over here as far as I'm aware. The first ones I remember seeing on TV were Leno, Letterman and later Conan. Conan was always more my style.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Conan, Carson and Letterman >>>>>>> everyone else* >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> deep fried cow shit >>>>>>>>>>> *Jimmy Fallon.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
From what I've seen it's Letterman. At least I like his interviewing style the most. Conan can be very funny during his skits though.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Craig Ferguson. His serious episodes and sitdowns with Stephen Fry were great.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Craig Ferguson... He is US citizen!

Conan used to be good when he did his late night show but went to shit after he took the Leno gig. Has been shit on TBS for the whole time. Early on quality of TBS was probably more about bad writers, and after they found their groove it just seemed Conan didn't have his heart in it anymore. Haven't seen Conan's new shorter show tho.

Colbert is good interviewer but who gives a shit about celeb interviews these days?

edit. And Conan is great when he does outings or non scripted stuff with his staff. But those are rare.

OP
OP
cjbenny

cjbenny

Oct 29, 2017
Conan used to be good when he did his late night show but went to shit after he took the Leno gig. Has been shit on TBS for the whole time. Early on quality of TBS was probably more about bad writers, and after they found their groove it just seemed Conan didn't have his heart in it anymore. Haven't seen Conan's new shorter show tho.

edit. And Conan is great when he does outings or non scripted stuff with his staff. But those are rare.
Yeah, honestly Conan is at his best when he's visiting other countries and wreaking havoc. I appreciate that his remotes in some countries also highlighted important issues though, like when he visited Armenia and Israel.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
My man.

source.gif

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Craig Ferguson... He is US citizen!

Colbert is good interviewer but who gives a shit about celeb interviews these days?

This. The old Conan stuff is goat, but his tbs show just didn't work, for exactly the reasons you listed but he later found his strength in his Remotes.

Craig Ferguson was the best especially for interviews, and so was Letterman. Colbert Report was honestly a lightning in a bottle, but out of the ones on TV right now his Late Show is the best.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Carson & Letterman, and Conan most of all. Conan's show as a live thing mostly sucks now, but his remotes, staff stuff (esp with Jordan) and podcast are still as funny or funnier then when his show was in its best years.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Being from Europe, I'm missing the whole picture because I've never seen an entire episode of a Late Night Show. But from the clips and videos I've seen over the last 10-15 years, Craig Ferguson would be my favorite by far. Must be that sexy Scottish accent.

Oct 27, 2017
I probably enjoy Conan O'Brien's humor the most, but Craigy Ferg's the only one who ever roped me into being a regular viewer of a late night show.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Late Night with Conan was something special. Can't be said enough.

If The Colbert Report counts that's possibly the best one. For years it just felt like he was on fire: every monologue hilarious, every remote segment, he interviewed politicians in ways that were hilarious and never let them off the hook, and the show knocked it out of the park constantly with incisive commentary that touched on many facets of US life and politics. I miss it!

Also Desus and Mero are great.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What about John Stuart? I don't know what makes someone considered late night (after 10 pm?), but growing up I found him to be one of the best.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Greg Kinnear was a late night host?

/edit: and Judd Nelson apparently?