• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Captain is the worst?

• Archer

Votes: 229 38.4%
  • Kirk

Votes: 51 8.6%
  • Picard

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • Janeway

Votes: 111 18.6%
  • Sisko

Votes: 30 5.0%
  • Burnham

Votes: 166 27.9%

• Total voters

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
The problem with Burnham is she's on a weird, not very great show.

I am also biased as my faves are Hugh and Saru on the show and a non-human Captain was intriguing as hell.

Mar 5, 2019
Besides being incompetent, Archer just seemed so unpleasant to be around, like someone you have to walk on eggshells around.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Pike, keep in mind in the original pilot, he says he 'can't get used to women on the bridge'. I would guess that's no longer canon though...

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Pike, keep in mind in the original pilot, he says he 'can't get used to women on the bridge'. I would guess that's no longer canon though...

Better than actual TOS where they end the series with an episode about how women flat out can't be Captains because they're too emotional.

Better than actual TOS where they end the series with an episode about how women flat out can't be Captains because they're too emotional.

What's weird is that Saru wasn't just the first alien Captain on the show's main ship, he's one of the first alien Starfleet captains we've ever seen. There have been a few Vulcan captains, but across all the shows there's pretty much nothing else. Lower Decks has given us one Tellarite captain, and DS9 mentioned, but never showed Captain Boday, a Gallamite.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Archer, for sure. It doesn't help the character somehow leeches all the charm out of Scott Bakula.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I noticed that a couple of you accidentally voted for Picard. Misclicks happen, so I'm just letting you know!

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's Burnham. Technically not the captain until recently but it doesn't matter as she always acts like one. She is directly responsible for starting a war with the Klingons that nearly destroyed the Federation.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I voted Burnham, I don't get the telling on themselves comment. It's not her leading the show I have issues with, but the showrunners made the show about her and her only which isn't the point of Star Trek. I liked it well enough in the beginning but each season is the same roller coaster ride of escalating doomsday issues and Burnham making odd choices.

Jan 29, 2018
It's Burnham. Technically not the captain until recently but it doesn't matter as she always acts like one. She is directly responsible for starting a war with the Klingons that nearly destroyed the Federation.

1) You can't judge her for anything she did before becoming captain, just like you can't judge Sisko on seasons 1-3.
2) She wasn't responsible for starting that war at all, people just thought that because they didn't have access to the Klingon POV like the audience did. The Klingons were explicitly luring the Federation into a conflict to start a war.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on Discovery after season 2 so I don't know how Burnham is playing out actually as the captain but I'd be surprised if she was worse than Archer.

Also sort of a tangent but I never quite understood why Sisko cared about Starfleet to point that he was seemingly fundamentally against the Maquis.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a big fan of Discovery as a Star Trek or even as a sci-fi series, its better than no Star Trek I guess. The plot could be so much better at times especially with the Universe they have setup. Maybe it's just I was expecting more out of it and it just continually disappoints me. But I don't know if it's fair to rank Burham the worst Captain so far when others have done worse things in their series.

It's Archer btw.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Hear me out tho.
Janeway got her crew home and pretty much obliterated the borg.
Sisko won the dominion war and is more or less a god.
Kirk saved the Khitomer accords, the most important agreement in federation history.
Archer the reason the federation exists more or less.
Picard... got kidnapped by the cardassians and borg? I guess? Good whistle player, maybe? Tea aficionado? Q's best friend?

See what I'm getting at here.

Senjuro

Oct 10, 2019
Hear me out tho.
Kirk saved the Khitomer accords, the most important agreement in federation history.
Picard... got kidnapped by the cardassians and borg? I guess? Good whistle player, maybe? Tea aficionado? Q's best friend?

Picard saved past Earth and thus also the existence of the Federation in First Contact. More importantly, he was the most moral of the bunch, in the TNG era at least.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Hear me out tho.

Ban.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
What's weird is that Saru wasn't just the first alien Captain on the show's main ship, he's one of the first alien Starfleet captains we've ever seen. There have been a few Vulcan captains, but across all the shows there's pretty much nothing else. Lower Decks has given us one Tellarite captain, and DS9 mentioned, but never showed Captain Boday, a Gallamite.

I'm sure this was a problem of budget more than anything else, just not wanting to spend the extra time and money to make someone an alien if they're only going to show up as a Starfleet captain in one episode.

The sheer number of humans is Starfleet is annoying, but understandable that it just wasn't a high priority when it came to the budgets of TOS, TNG and DS9 episodes.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
To me that's mostly a factor of the quality of their overall show—my ranking of captains would be the same as my rankings of the series. I haven't seen enough of Enterprise or Discovery to judge, and I found Voyager by far the worst of the remaining shows, so I'd have to pick Janeway.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
1) You can't judge her for anything she did before becoming captain, just like you can't judge Sisko on seasons 1-3.
2) She wasn't responsible for starting that war at all, people just thought that because they didn't have access to the Klingon POV like the audience did. The Klingons were explicitly luring the Federation into a conflict to start a war.

Burnham incapacitates her captain and then strolls onto the Bridge saying "hey everyone I'm the Acting Captain now fire on the Klingons"

She is absolutely Captain for the purposes of the command structure until Georgiou regains consciousness and puts down her mutiny

Jan 29, 2018
Burnham incapacitates her captain and then strolls onto the Bridge saying "hey everyone I'm the Acting Captain now fire on the Klingons"

She is absolutely Captain for the purposes of the command structure until Georgiou regains consciousness and puts down her mutiny

Meh, her mutiny puts her in the running for worst starfleet officer but it doesn't make her a captain. Discovery's pilot is still my least favorite thing about the show but it's clearly intended to show her at her lowest so that her arc for the season can be becoming a more responsible and less reactionary officer (which season 2 almost immediately goes back on and she takes another 2 seasons learning how to be captain material).

Jan 29, 2018

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Archer's a great captain, he's just let down by some seriously inconsistent and shitty writing. In the same way as Phlox is a great character and let down by the same two things.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Meh, her mutiny puts her in the running for worst starfleet officer but it doesn't make her a captain. Discovery's pilot is still my least favorite thing about the show but it's clearly intended to show her at her lowest so that her arc for the season can be becoming a more responsible and less reactionary officer (which season 2 almost immediately goes back on and she takes another 2 seasons learning how to be captain material).

Sorry but Saru questions her and she lies and says attacking the Klingons is what the Captain wants (meaning her, not Georgiou, but she's telling a lie by omission there).

Unquestionably she has assumed the mantle of Captain for herself there (by definition that's what a mutiny is), so it's to be considered.

The fact she did so much damage in her few moments of command is, in my opinion, not exculpatory.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
The main Klingon dude (can't remember his name) definitely wanted a war no matter what but the rest of the Klingons were more circumspect.

Absent Burnham's "we have to attack first it's how they respect you" behaviour, the war might not have happened.

Certainly seems to me more egregious behaviour than Archer bringing his dog along on a first contact lol

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Janeway had to navigate through bad writing and her irritating voice but you knew she was a Federation Captain from minute one.

Archer had some same level of bad writing and always felt like a yacht skipper that suffers from severe sea sickness but he doesn't know it.

Burnham ( haven't seen the last season) is the brainy nerdy classmate that thought she did something cool before the teacher grounded her so she tries to stay in shadows ever since.

Kirk suffered of Shatner's overacting but survived because he often had good writers and faced and beat good villains. Also he was Spock's friend.

Picard had to battle with his uniform and mostly bad movie plots but he was the best commander Federation ever had.

Sisko was a chief badass among badasses allies and enemies and was as capable as Picard.

It is Archer.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I've only seen TNG, DS9, and half of Voyager before they removed it from Netflix.

So while others are probably worse I can only vote Janeway.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Hear me out tho.

Picard saved the entire galaxy from an anti-time anomaly that would have prevented life from even occurring in our galaxy.

He also got Kirk killed in a meaningless way... So it evens out I guess.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I have been enjoying watching Enterprise start to finish quite a bit more than I thought and its still definitely Archer

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This board's trekkies are legit problematic and always wanting the show to be cancelled, they don't call her a Black Mary Sue because they don't wanna make their deal too blatant.
If we judged all the other captains based on the dumb shit they did before they became captain thent his discussion would be completely different.

It's unfair to judge Burnham when she literally just became captain. If anything the worst captain is Saru.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Who is Burnham?

I am really behind, the last star trek TV show I watched was Enterprise.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I am proud of Era! I must admit I jumped in expecting Sisko the best captain to have more votes and to blast everyone, but it seems I have underestimated everyone.