• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is the worst protagonist?

• Cloud "I lied about my past to impress a girl" Strife

Votes: 101 8.2%
  • Squall "Asshole" Leonhart

Votes: 455 36.9%
  • Zidane "Monkey Man" Tribal

Votes: 237 19.2%
  • Tidus "I hate my dad" McNolastname

Votes: 441 35.7%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I'll do a best protagonist thread after this one (and perhaps a set for classic FF as well if people want me to).

The "Golden Age" is Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, and X. No spinoffs.

That leaves us with...

Cloud Strife

4af313010d8caab28991918ddb325d5f-1120761.jpeg

Ex-SOLDIER (as far as we know) whose past goes a lot deeper than we expected.

Trademark: Giant, GIANT sword.
Catchphrase: Let's mosey.
Strengths: Adaptable, witty, stronger than average.
Weaknesses: Mentally ill, unpredictable, can be kind of an asshole.

Squall Leonhart

99e0b3aefe731d20d5697ead6d89519f.jpg

A student at Balamb Garden, and a member of SEED.

Trademark: A sword that is also a gun.
Catchphrase: Whatever.
Strengths: Skilled fighter, capable leader, straight and to the point.
Weaknesses: Isolated, hard to read, can definitely be an asshole.

Zidane Tribal

zidanedaggerwedding-e1420649292985.jpg

A thief with a womanizing streak and a charming disposition.

Trademark: Has a tail.
Catchphrase: Ooo, soft...
Strengths: Charismatic, multi-talented, quick on his feet.
Weaknesses: Impulsive, an outlaw, and can be a bit of a doofus.

Tidus

latest

A sports superstar from a city that existed a thousand years ago.

Trademark: A sword made of water.
Catchphrase: HA HA HA HA!
Strengths: Athletic, popular, strong sense of morality.
Weaknesses: Trouble dealing with change, dad issues, can definitely be a doofus.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Question: Are we assessing just their appearance in the game in question, or does their appearance in other titles affect our viewpoint.

I mention because Squall is a heck of a lot more charming in Kingdom Hearts than he is in FF8.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Question: Are we assessing just their appearance in the game in question, or does their appearance in other titles affect our viewpoint.

I mention because Squall is a heck of a lot more charming in Kingdom Hearts than he is in FF8.
Main games only.

I also agree, but charming, older Squall compared to asshole, younger Squall is the entire point of his character development from his original game

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Tidus for me, no doubt. I still find him somewhat endearing, but there's a lot in him (and his game) that I dislike.

I'd say my order would be: Zidane>Cloud>Squall>Tidus.
  • Tidus has a really nice background and role in the world, but there's some stuff that turns me off (him having a voice unlike the others doesn't help diminish those things I don't really appreciate), and I can't deal with how awful his in-game model is (he looks good in Nomura's concept art despite how goofy his clothes are). Lovely sword, though, have always loved it. Also, him being an athlete is such a cool ass concept.
  • Squall I honestly really like. I feel like he's got a nice evolution in his game (which could have been better made, I guess, it's been a while so I can't say). I particularly love how no-nonsense he can be when it comes to actually pulling his mission off (like when attempting to assasinate the witch) and I feel like, earned or not, him treating others better and opening up is really satisfying as a player. I really appreciate his constant inner monologues.
  • Cloud has a really intriguing backstory and the changes he goes through in his game are really entertaining. He can do goofy, badass and moody. I like all of his "personalities" in the original game, and his mental place at the end of the game is good (fuck AC).
  • Zidane's just the best.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I can't stand Zidane personally, either his goofy design or his personality

If I have to rank those four:

Squall >>>>>>> Cloud > Tidus >>>>>>>>> Zidane

Last edited:

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like them all but while loving FFIX, Zidane is the least memorable to me so it goes to him. Sorry Zidane.

Also while I am having a great time playing through XII on the Switch the real answer is Vaan.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Squall takes this one hands down. At least Tidus can be a bit of a loveable goof.

Also Gunblades are fucking stupid.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I like them all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Squall the least I suppose.

Ramza not being on the list at all is right though. Ramza n1.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Zidane has to be the most vanilla of modern (or by now near-modern) FF protags. it's a decidedly simpler story so i don't peg it against the game, but if you have to put them all in a lineup yeah he takes the cake

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Hate to admit it, but of the one's ive played (7,8,9) Cloud is my least favourite.
I get why he's like an iconic character from a game that's like a big deal and all. But he just feels more rudimentary than the others in general, like he's got that weird blunt meanspirited-ness squall has (like the time he tells yuffie about how he doesnt care about her or the plight of her entire town) but the game actually does an alright job of revealing how squall is insecure and just a teenager with way too much responsibility and portrays his unwillingness to express his feelings as his flaw and the starting point of his development, and rinoa has to pull him out of his shell, its definitely like a more refined version of the dynamic between cloud and his love interests. Also I don't really remember how the whole "clouds memories aren't real, he was someone else, but actually no that was a lie too, and it doesnt matter??" works.
Meanwhile i kinda like Zidane because, while I used to think "womanizer" was a really shitty trope for protagonists, ive come to at least see a distinction between the PUA archetypes, ones who seemingly hold disdain for women and use them as status, vs the Casanova archetypes, ones who genuinely care about women and are interested in their stories but are very skittish and impulsive/flippant about romantic commitments. While i'm definitely on Team Steiner, Zidane provides a really good counter to his dutifulness by actually stopping to check up on all the party members and manage their feelings. He feels somewhat radical in this light, though kind of a refined version of Locke from FF6 I guess.

I haven't played FFX yet though SORRY.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Squall post CD1 is the worst one.
CD1 Squall was awesome, especially when everyone broke down like little baby and he went alone to finish the job.

Laserplane

Apr 28, 2018
In my opinion/remembrance Tidus is the weakest character/most generic character overall, while it seems like Squall has the least reason to be an asshole and so is the least likable to me.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I thought this was just gonna be about the PS1 games...
Including Tidus is just unfair. He sucks so much.
At least Squall looks cool.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
You know how black technically isn't a color, but the absence of color?

Squall is like that, but instead of color it's personality.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Squall was an asshole, but I found myself agreeing with him the majority of the game. An incredibly capable soldier everyone kept forcing themselves on. Leave him alone ye prying bastards!

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I think VIII is the only game in the series where the protagonist is my favourite character (depending on who you count as the protagonist of XII)

I - Red Mage
II - Guy? who cares
III - none of them are interesting enough to even remember the names
IV - Kain
V - Faris
VI - Celes
VII - Red XIII
VIII - Squall
IX - Steiner
X - Auron
XI - Shantoto
XII - Ashe
XIII - Sazh
XIV - Estinien
XV - Ignis if I really have to choose one

Last edited:

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud in every appearance since the original game is the worst character.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Either Zidane or Tidus. Squall is easily the best out of all them though, but I look forward to all the people who haven't played the game in 20 years to say he sucks.

Darkmark1987

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Out of the games chosen, zidane is my least favourite. Squall has always been my fave, great design, development and his attitude to getting the job down (come on, realising the plan is failing, he jumps in and directly tried to assassinate edea). Zidane whilst a good character has limited development. However Vaan will forever be my least favourite, his game doesn't even consider him the main character.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
"Playstation golden era"...? For Final Fantasy?

Anyway, the worst is Zidane by far. Forgettable protagonist, usually you think of the side characters when you think about his game.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
You can't claim Final Fantasy X is a PlayStation golden era title and not include Vaan. Final Fantasy XII is from the same generation as X and on the same system, PlayStation 2, so that makes absolutely no sense. That said the worst is Squall. It's like Square looked at Cloud's popularity and said, "Hey, let's make another one of those, only this time more douchey and less interesting."

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Cloud's a mess but that's actually what I like about him. He has a really interesting arc and a timeless design. There's a lot to pick apart about his motivations/character/history. I like him.

Squall is a dick, but he grows somewhat. His design is pretty sweet, if edgy. I like his dynamic with Rinoa a lot and at the very least he's super capable. His assholishness is memorable, love or hate it.

Tidus grows up a LOT during his adventure and is just generally really interesting. Him being an athlete makes him one of the cooler protags to me considering it's not just Angry/Reluctant Person With Sword like most FF protagonists. His outfit being athletic gear is a cool concept to me, as stupid as it looks.

I literally can't remember a single thing about Zidane other than his tryhard womanizer thing and the fact that he has a tail. I like his design, as silly as it looks.

So I pick Zidane.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Gunblades are cool, big swords are cool, never played 9 so by default Tidus is the lamest one.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
My boy squall he's just insipid, bland, lifeless. Like damn ff8 is not my most played game of them all but every time I play the game I just wish I could switch squall.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
You can't claim Final Fantasy X is a PlayStation golden era title and not include Vaan. Final Fantasy XII is from the same generation as X and on the same system, PlayStation 2, so that makes absolutely no sense. That said the worst is Squall. It's like Square looked at Cloud's popularity and said, "Hey, let's make another one of those, only this time more douchey and less interesting."
This poll wouldn't be interesting at all with Vaan included.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Vaan dodged a bullet here.

He really did.

Also, Tidus gets a lot of flak, but I think if any of us got transported to a completely alien world to us (culturally, not physically) and then forced to walk the length of it to fight a giant murdering version of our deadbeat dad we'd probably complain a lot as well.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Cloud commits terrorist acts for money at the start of the game, doesn't necessarily make him the worst character but people seem to gloss over that

Carroway

Oct 25, 2017
Taking everything into consideration, Cloud is the worst character, in FF7 he is alright, snarky, sarcastic, world weary, in other words... complicated. With every subsequent media product released they made him more mopey and broody to a point that he is even worse than Squall ever was.

Riska

Dec 20, 2017
I think Cloud's character arc in the original game is incredible. This is a guy who was so ashamed of his failure that he not only lied to his friends, he lied to himself so completely that he believed it (with a little help from Hojo). That is a very relatable aspect to his personality but it also doesn't define who he is in a way that many protagonists would be. He's funny, aloof, empathetic, petty, strong, weak, etc, at various different points. He's not all good nor is he a bad person, or even balanced.

It's tricky because I don't think any of them are bad protagonists in the sense of I may not like them but I can respect their character developments. I think if I had to pick it would be Tidus because he's a bit too good. He's arrogant but that jars slightly with his overly righteous morality.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I dont think any of them is bad at all but if I had to say least good it would be Tidus.. he was great in the final act though.