• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is the worst character in Naruto?

• Obito

Votes: 42 5.9%
  • Sakura

Votes: 247 34.7%
  • Black Zetsu/Kaguya

Votes: 108 15.2%
  • Kabuto/Orochimaru

Votes: 11 1.5%
  • Danzo/The 3rd Hokage

Votes: 15 2.1%
  • The Sauce

Votes: 288 40.5%

• Total voters

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Kaguya was made for that reason. Conceptually, she fits into the shadow history narrative that he builds throughout the series. I just think that Kaguya could have been better served by having some kind of hinting throughout the series that there was some deeper unknown. Kishi was basically going for turtles all the way down in terms of his view of history and how it arcs into personal narratives, Kaguya fits into this but she wasn't that interesting as a a character/person.
Kishimoto literally went on record in Jump Festa 2014 (which happened at December of 2013) that he didn't know how he was going to be able to have the heroes beat Madara and that at the time he was still working through ideas on how he could be beaten with his editor, so he definitely did not have her planned until the year series ended

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Kishimoto literally went on record in Jump Festa 2014 (which happened at December of 2013) that he didn't know how he was going to be able to have the heroes beat Madara, so he definitely did not have her planned until the year series ended
I tried doing some research into this, but I can't find anything that looks to be legit official sources for these comments. It seems unconfirmed, there's also a quote about him supposedly wanting Sasuke to be Hokage at the end of the series. Is there any official interview posted anywhere?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I tried doing some research into this, but I can't find anything that looks to be legit official sources for these comments. It seems unconfirmed, there's also a quote sabout him supposedly wanting Sasuke to be Hokage at the end of the series. Is there any official interview posted anywhere?
Jump Festa is a live event in Japan so no official interview posted anywhere, but accurate info is often passed on from the event so I see no reason to doubt it

Also the Sasuke Hokage stuff was probably just referencing Sasuke's desire to be Hokage, not that he would actually become one

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I have scientific proof that Sakura is the worst over Sauske.

Sauske does torpedo the series and make everyone around him act stupid while he acts like a deranged psychopath who gets hand waived for his crimes with a "yeah sorry about that". All of this is true and makes him a terrible character.

But Sakura still unconditionally loves him, marries him, and has a child with him. You are the worst thing ever if you do that.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Jump Festa is a live event in Japan so no official interview posted anywhere, but accurate info is often passed on from the event so I see no reason to doubt it
There's no reason to believe it either, if there's no offiicial source.

I have scientific proof that Sakura is the worst over Sauske.

Sauske does torpedo the series and make everyone around him act stupid while he acts like a deranged psychopath who gets hand waived for his crimes with a "yeah sorry about that". All of this is true and makes him a terrible character.
The worst thing Sasuke does is kill the Hokage nominee who is actually a bad person. The people he confronts throughout the series, the members of Konoha, are part of a corrupt regime and in his eyes at least complicit. I think his error comes in not being able to see his peers, the other youth of Konoha being pushed into military service, as victims like he was. He is distanced from them and everybody else because the trauma he has faced causes him to act out in ways that are vengeful and at times irrational.

Sasuke, Obito, Nagato and Madara's perspectives are informed by traumatic events shaping them into seeing how the system they are a part of is unjust, cruel and brutal. They are right in that this system or status quo should be brought down - it's that they think any means necessary is the path to go down, that is where they falter.

The path of Madara and Obito and the Moon's eye plan in a sense did help push the Naruto world into the change it needed. The Naruto world was stuck in a seemingly endless cycle of violence and war. So to say that Obito and Madara cause thousands of shinobi deaths is kind of meaningless in a world when thousands of shinobi would keep dying in war. Without Obito and Madara confronting the world and Naruto and friends defeating them, would the world have just kept on going the way it had been, with war and the exploitation of children?

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This poll should be who are the few characters you still liked by the end of Naruto and that answer is Kakashi, Asuma, Gai, Shikamaru, and Temari. Fuck everyone else.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to believe it either, if there's no offiicial source.
I mean I can't completely speak for the sources of the Naruto event in particular, but I've never seen anyone who specifically said it was wrong and I feel like that's unlikely for this type of event. I know we've gotten tons of accurate One Piece stuff from Jump Festa, but given my understanding of how tickets to the stages where this stuff happens works it could be an issue of different sources. But yeah proving it with complete accuracy right now is probably impossible just because of how the event works and the fact that a lot of the original sources come from defunct forums

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Sakura is the character that is given the least to do, but Sasuke is a character archetype I dislike executed awfully.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sakura or Sasuke.

I'll go with Sakura because Sasuke is at least cool and they played it up enough with his scenes with Naruto. But damn is he a dumb boi.

I really wish manga authors going back to rewrite their entire series was a thing. The only thing we can ever hope for are anime adaptions that improve the story over the original material.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Hinata put in effort to win herself a trophy husband. The fuck is some of y'all talkin' about saying her?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
How you gonna roll Kabuto and Orochimaru into one? I know their association in the story, but Orochimaru is so much cooler.

He is also clearly the best mom in Boruto and I won't hear a single word that suggests otherwise.

Suigetsu is the best character of the entire series.
I mean, he was definitely one of the nakedest.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Sakura, absolutely.

Sasuke's messed up but shit, he at least had an excuse with his backstory. Sakura has no excuse and yet she's that bad. She gets the L.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Lol how you gonna make Sasuke pay for his crimes if the only dude capable of laying a finger on him is totally cool with the guy, let me hear your ideas
This scenario could never happen but you would have to put Naruto in a situation where he can't talk no jutsu his way out. The village would need to throw down an ultimatum that Sasuke be imprisoned or at least banished and if Sasuke fights back then their blood is on Naruto's hands.

Naruto either does nothing like a hypocrite coward, turns into a hypocrite tyrant who uses force to make everyone play by his rules so Sasuke can stay free, or he goes along with the village and tells Sasuke he needs to go away and hop in the prison. Then he'll cry himself to sleep every night cause he'll feel he abandoned his friend after everything.

That would be a real hard test for Naruto, either way one of his stubborn ideals will finally be dealt a blow he can't evade.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I pity Sakura more than anything. It's terrible how she was written and her fate was full of cringe. A shame considering I liked her originally.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[b
Sasuke and the Uchiha were some of the best parts of Naruto.

Sasuke is not like Poochie. He is integrated into the overarching narrative and is crucial to the main characters growth.

No, this is a common misreading. Rin dying pushed Obito into further seeing the world and system as corrupt and irresolvable. It wasn't -just- because she was dead, it was because the machinations behind her death showed him the seemingly impossible cycle of violence with children being used as soldiers.

The characters that people 'hate' in Naruto for the most part have clearly defined motivations and reasoning behind their actions and personalities. They are largely victims of a cruel and unjust system and burdened with heavy trauma. The hate for these characters is usually fairly irrational, or at least reflects on a hardline conservative view of justice and forgiveness. Naruto threads like these are at least somewhat enlightening in that they kind of show how people are fairly reactionary in how they view the moral quandaries the series depicts.
In what world is Sasuke the best part of Naruto? He's rule number one of how not to write a character.

Oct 29, 2017
Goddamn, this is a tough poll.

Do you go with Obito, the insufferable mass murderer whose villany was built around a super contrived twist? Do you go with Kaguya and Black Zetsu, who had no reason to exist and the ending would've been better without? Do you go with Sakura, the most consistently unlikeable and worthless main character in both parts? Or Sasuke, whose plot armor transcends power ups to grant him ethical handwaves?

It's a very, very narrow edge, but I'm gonna have to give it to Sasuke for being the biggest waste of potential and the most infuriating--mainly after Itachi died. I expected the most out of his character arc and its derailment was the most disappointing. Not to mention how stupid his cruelty and recklessness makes Naruto and Sakura look, which taints the entire story as a result.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure that Kishi had planned Kayuga from long time ago, he always said in interviews that he already had the ending in his mind. What he didn't probably plan was how to get there, and I'm pretty sure that he rushed the war and plot elements/reveals in the story so he could finish everything at chapter 700. I believe that Kishi initially planned to do at least two more arcs, one for Kaguya e another for the last Naruto x Sasuke battle, but this is only myself lol

About the worst character, definitely Sasuke and Sakura. Sasuke for being Kishimoto's favorite character and taking too much space, and Sakura for being an annoyance most of the time, except for the Sasori fight. Pretty sad, since the two are some of the most important characters in the series after Naruto.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
hinatathelastxcj8l.gif

All of the people listing Hinata disappoint me. Too much of her character revolves around Naruto, yes, but she was pretty well written insofar as supporting main characters go.
Thank you.

Anyhow, as far as worst character goes, it's probably not anyone on that list except for Kaguya.

Kishimoto was generally pretty good at writing himself out of his own craziness during Naruto, but Kaguya is the one point where you can tell his skill as a writer completely failed him. Not even in the whole "Black Zetsu was manipulating all of Ninja history" way, but in the sense that she basically took ALL the hype out of Madara, and didn't provide anything nearly as exciting. Plus, fatigue hit it's highest point there after how long the previous events were. It's a big factor as to why the Fourth Shinobi World Era story arcs are as weak as they are
See there are two reasons I disagree. First, at least she's rather inoffensive. Sure she's a space flea out of nowhere, but at least she's not a sexist, crazed piece of shit like Madara, or criminally foolish like Sasuke and Obito. None of whom ever are made to truly answer for their crimes. We're just supposed to shut up and empathize, which I can't really do. I'm never given a good reason for the proportion of their crimes compared to their grief.

Second, as I keep bringing up, even if KISHI handled her story poorly, the anime made Kaguya basically the most sympathetic antagonist since Haku and Zabuza, and if you know how much I love Haku that's saying something. She becomes much less a villain, more a sort of Mothra figure. "Oh, I see now, you all can't stop fighting each other. You all are going to fuck up this planet, so I'm going to protect it from my evil relatives AND you." Seeing her character arc through her arrival on Earth to her being (perhaps rightfully) betrayed by her own sons is pretty touching, for Naruto anyway.

Yeah it's "filler", but I've never been a fan of dismissing filler out of hand as completely worthless.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I voted for Sakura because I didn't know the sauce was sasuke. Changed my vote immediately to him , fucking whiny little brat.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen a handful of episodes, but my least favorite was easily Rock Lee. Hated everything about him.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
See there are two reasons I disagree. First, at least she's rather inoffensive. Sure she's a space flea out of nowhere, but at least she's not a sexist, crazed piece of shit like Madara, or criminally foolish like Sasuke and Obito. None of whom ever are made to truly answer for their crimes. We're just supposed to shut up and empathize, which I can't really do. I'm never given a good reason for the proportion of their crimes compared to their grief.

Second, as I keep bringing up, even if KISHI handled her story poorly, the anime made Kaguya basically the most sympathetic antagonist since Haku and Zabuza, and if you know how much I love Haku that's saying something. She becomes much less a villain, more a sort of Mothra figure. "Oh, I see now, you all can't stop fighting each other. You all are going to fuck up this planet, so I'm going to protect it from my evil relatives AND you." Seeing her character arc through her arrival on Earth to her being (perhaps rightfully) betrayed by her own sons is pretty touching, for Naruto anyway.

Yeah it's "filler", but I've never been a fan of dismissing filler out of hand as completely worthless.

Yeah, you're right about that second point. The Kaguya stuff in the anime was great.

The anime really excels at that kind of stuff in general. One of the high points of the Boruto anime has been how they've fleshed out the supporting cast in a way the manga hasn't been able to.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Okay I'm going to need an explanation here. This is the FIRST time I've seen anyone ever say Tsunade was a bad character.
I've only seen a handful of episodes, but my least favorite was easily Rock Lee. Hated everything about him.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

Yeah, you're right about that second point. The Kaguya stuff in the anime was great.

The anime really excels at that kind of stuff in general. One of the high points of the Boruto anime has been how they've fleshed out the supporting cast in a way the manga hasn't been able to.
I'm glad we can agree on that much.

There are definitely times when the anime detracts from the story (and pre-TS Filler Hell was way too long even if it gave a couple mini arcs to characters who needed it like Tenten, Anko, and Kurenai) but overall I find it really only adds to it. Guren arc is still probably my second favorite arc after Land of Waves, tbh.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
The ending made me feel guilt for liking Zetsu when he was the creepy plant dude who ate people and spied for the Akatsuki. Why couldn't he just stay that way?

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
LMFAO

Both Sasuke and Sakura leading the poll for worst character and yet their daughter Sarada is pretty much the best kid in Boruto series

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Naruto would be a thousand times better if Sasuke never existed

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The real answer is Tenten.

Fun Fact: In the manga, she's the only character out of the Konoha 12 to not have an onscreen fight. Her fight with Temari in the chunin exam was filler.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely between Sasuke and Sakura.

I would probably go with Sakura. Sasuke is an asshole who (for some reason) everyone forgives at the drop of a hat, but Sakura is hopelessly devoted to Sasuke literally only because she thought he was hot when they were kids, never grows out of it, and doesn't change even when he tries to kill her.

Not to mention the fake confession she gave Naruto to try to manipulate him, or all the times she abused him because "Haha comedy."

Honorable mention to Karin, who is like Sakura cranked up to 11, but just doesn't have as much focus put on her. The worst part is that she had potential. When Sasuke tried to kill her, she decided to completely give up on him. Which you'd think could be the start of a neat character arc, only she turns around and immediately forgives him the next time she sees him.