• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is the worst character in Naruto?

• Obito

Votes: 42 5.9%
  • Sakura

Votes: 247 34.7%
  • Black Zetsu/Kaguya

Votes: 108 15.2%
  • Kabuto/Orochimaru

Votes: 11 1.5%
  • Danzo/The 3rd Hokage

Votes: 15 2.1%
  • The Sauce

Votes: 288 40.5%

• Total voters

GlacialTruffle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
etHc3wbl.jpg

Ummm, pardon the interruption, but hello.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
All the worst elements of Naruto come either directly or peripherally from Sasuke and his arc, so this is an easy question for me.

Last edited:

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
How can y'all hate Sakura more than Obito??? Obito was gonna doom the world to Instrumentality because his crush died. And then he attacks Konoha, kills Naruto's parents and ruins his life, causes a war, kills a bunch of soldiers during the war (including Neji, Shikamaru's dad etc) and Naruto and Kakashi lowkey forgive him. Sakura is just dumb. Obito is a monster y'all

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
How can y'all hate Sakura more than Obito??? Obito was gonna doom the world to Instrumentality because his crush died. And then he attacks Konoha, kills Naruto's parents and ruins his life, causes a war, kills a bunch of soldiers during the war (including Neji, Shikamaru's dad etc) and Naruto and Kakashi lowkey forgive him. Sakura is just dumb. Obito is a monster y'all
That's Naruto and Kakashi being bad characters. Coolest guy and all that.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Of the poll options, Zetsu was such a let down.
Let it be known I was generally pretty hyped to see what the deal was with the walking venus fly trap dude with the dual personality.
But I get the impression that maybe Kishi didn't have any real idea where he was going with said character for the longest time leading to him being a piece of Akatsuki scenery for the longest time, used for the odd scouting moment.

So when they finally do use him, the white half is basically a generic clone army, and the black half becomes MADARAS WILL or some shit but is actually KAGUYA'S WILL with a whole load of I ORCHESTRATED THE ENTIRE SHINOBI HISTORY FOR MUMMY!
And then he just sits as a smiling face up a sleeve his limp saga ends, what a let down.

Part of me wants to also say Rin for being a big ol' plot point that you can't possibly care about that leads to the entire crux of Obito's heel run, which in turn hurts his character when I genuinely feel there's something to him, but they chose the wrong angle to pull the trigger...
and led the anime to drown in so many Rin flashbacks that it overtakes Naruto on the swing or Naruto and the Sauce climbing a tree.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

Obito literally came back from the dead just to stop Kakashi from cockblocking him in the afterlife.

Give the man some points.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Sakura, no question.

Sasuke is bad, but he at least has some moments of emotional weight. At least in part 1 anyway.

Sakura has nothing. Sakura is a character Kishi had no interest in writing, so she only improves off-screen. As a main character in a shonen series, that's awful.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Outside of the crush thing, that's just him being a villain. The issue is how easily Naruto forgave him, but that's a Naruto problem, not an Obito one.

The side debate: Who is worse Sakura or Karin?

Objectively, Karin. But she's just a side character, so can't really blame anyone for going with Sakura, who has had some infamously bad moments like her confession.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Only watched part one but sakura by a mile. The only thing i remember her actually doing was cutting her hair that one time.
Naruto himself was way worse than sauske from what i watched at least but ive heard it gets a lot dumber later on

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Danzo was actually robbed of strong dickery villain potential, he shouldn't be an option, he was taken from us too soon!
At least he got more mileage than Dosu.

Only watched part one but sakura by a mile. The only thing i remember her actually doing was cutting her hair that one time.
Naruto himself was way worse than sauske from what i watched at least but ive heard it gets a lot dumber later on
Sakura's BIG moment in part 1 being deciding that she'd make the dynamic decision to cut off her long hair, (specifically grown out to impress Sasuke off an incorrect belief that he gets an uchihard on for long locks), so she can kinda not get beaten to a pulp is pretty damn hilarious.
Moreso when the follow up is her biting a dudes arm like a puppy whilst getting punched in the side of the head while sorta sappy music plays in the anime at least.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017

Obito didn't get to live freely after what he did at least.

Also since he was 12 years old he had to live with a crazy old guy hooked to a tree and a bunch of weird plant clones. Said old guy actually manipulated events to show his friend kill his crush in front of him when still a child.

Not excusing what he did but he at least has crazy old guy manipulating him from 12 at least.

Sasuke voluntarily went to a crazy snake guy with the added bonus of the plan being for the snake guy to take over Sasuke's body and kill him. His actions are made of stupidity.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Sakura or Sauce. If I could vote both of them, I would. Of the two, Sasuke is worse and should have never gotten away as clean as he did.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
It was frustrating as fuck to be a Sakura fan (and I was once) thinking that they'd move her past her bullshit with Sasuke once they showed how much of a knob he is (and you know, when he tried to kill her like twice). She'd grow up from her crush as a fucking 12-year old and become strong on her own without needing to have Sasuke's affection. Maybe even get to do some cool stuff of her own as Tsunade's successor.

And it never happens. In fact, they reward her for being that pathetic with a "marriage" and a kid that wonders how the hell she even exists when she hears about her parents. Sakura fucking sucks, and deserves every trashing she gets.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Sasuke is the worst, a true "Gary Stu"-type character --
-- does horrible things but everyone falls over themselves to forgive him;
-- has unbeatable god powers and all kinds of special abilities that put him in a sphere beyond everyone
-- grimdark "heh nothing personnel, kid"/"I'm not here to make friends" personality;
-- suffers little to no consequences

Basically he's Poochie from The Simpsons, a terrible character that the writer keeps trying to shoehorn in and that all the characters are obsessed with, even though the readers ain't feeling it.

FuAV3I9otn9DQh0lT2898h257Wg=.gif

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
The Sauce sucked ass I vote for him.

Also obligatory Neji was right and because of that he is the best character in the series. Because he was right and he fucking called it.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Sasuke and Sakura respectively. Not just in Naruto but in the shounen genre, you'd be hard pressed to find two worse character. Kishimoto is a hack.

Ironically, from what i have seen Sarada seems to be a pretty decent character.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Good OP but I can't choose thet are all very bad, the manga is full of very bad characters. Shippuden is shit

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Shame on every person who says Hinata. Shame on all of you.

I voted for the asspull double combo of Kaguya and Black Zetsu. Sasuke crossed the line of redeemability in Part 2, Sakura was painfully underwritten but Black Zetsu perfectly represents the Naruto arc that refused to end and all of the completely unearned reveals that made it so painfully uninteresting.

As much as Sasuke sucked, I still felt for Naruto and wanted to see how that would end. Kaguya and Black Zetsu were completely out of nowhere.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
It's Sasuke. He's the main reason why part is terrible. Naruto and Sakura's garbage characterisation can be squarely blamed on Sasuke.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sakura because she still kept going back to the guy who repeatedly tried killing her and she ends up having a kid with the guy! (someone on the other forum argued that this is alright because Sakura tried to kill Sasuke too, like what?) Kishi is just bad with women characters in general, see Hinata, who's not as offensive as Sakura, but she's protrayed as the perfect waifu for the main protagonist. I never liked that.

Sasuke, in my opinion, should have been killed by Naruto. I honestly liked his descent from who he was in Part 1 to the Kage Summit. Kakashi said before that he has seen people end up like Sasuke: dead. I'm not saying he's a good character, no, I just really thought Kishi had something going with him at the end of the Summit arc. I hate how at the end NO ONE cares about Sasuke's evil deeds and he just shrugs it off with the infamous "yeah, sorry".

Between the both, Sakura will always be the worst for me.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
hinatathelastxcj8l.gif

All of the people listing Hinata disappoint me. Too much of her character revolves around Naruto, yes, but she was pretty well written insofar as supporting main characters go.

Anyhow, as far as worst character goes, it's probably not anyone on that list except for Kaguya.

Kishimoto was generally pretty good at writing himself out of his own craziness during Naruto, but Kaguya is the one point where you can tell his skill as a writer completely failed him. Not even in the whole "Black Zetsu was manipulating all of Ninja history" way, but in the sense that she basically took ALL the hype out of Madara, and didn't provide anything nearly as exciting. Plus, fatigue hit it's highest point there after how long the previous events were. It's a big factor as to why the Fourth Shinobi World Era story arcs are as weak as they are

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of funny when you consider that was Gendou's reason too, except replace crush with wife

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
All the worst elements of Naruto come either directly or peripherally from Sasuke and his arc, so this is an easy question for me.
Sasuke and the Uchiha were some of the best parts of Naruto.

Basically he's Poochie from The Simpsons, a terrible character that the writer keeps trying to shoehorn in and that all the characters are obsessed with, even though the readers ain't feeling it.
Sasuke is not like Poochie. He is integrated into the overarching narrative and is crucial to the main characters growth.

How can y'all hate Sakura more than Obito??? Obito was gonna doom the world to Instrumentality because his crush died.
No, this is a common misreading. Rin dying pushed Obito into further seeing the world and system as corrupt and irresolvable. It wasn't -just- because she was dead, it was because the machinations behind her death showed him the seemingly impossible cycle of violence with children being used as soldiers.

The characters that people 'hate' in Naruto for the most part have clearly defined motivations and reasoning behind their actions and personalities. They are largely victims of a cruel and unjust system and burdened with heavy trauma. The hate for these characters is usually fairly irrational, or at least reflects on a hardline conservative view of justice and forgiveness. Naruto threads like these are at least somewhat enlightening in that they kind of show how people are fairly reactionary in how they view the moral quandaries the series depicts.

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite thing about Kaguya is that before she came in I was bitching about how Madara was such a horrible final villain because unlike Obito (who was still bad, don't get me wrong) he had no thematic weight or personal connection to the main character and was just a really powerful old dude. And then Kishi decided the solution to this was to create yet another final boss that multiplied all of those problems a 100 times over lol

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I have no problems with Kaguya conceptually, but she was used in a tremendously bad fashion.

Black Zetsu, on the other hand, is the only character who is bad both in concept and in execution. He's the "will of Kaguya." First of all, what does that even mean? Second of all, having him manipulate everything and tie everything back to Kaguya - who herself totally steals the spotlight in an arc that isn't hers - undermines everything told up until that point.

I have problems with Obito and Sasuke as well, in that order, but they both have redeeming qualities at various points in the story, and Sasuke does manage to actively earn his redemption in the post-Naruto stories (movies and Boruto). Obito could have been written better, but I at the very least love his role in Kakashi's backstory, and how he subverted the "genius Uchiha" trope at that time.

Black Zetsu has no redeeming qualities. Zero.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Kaguya is that her existence as the final boss is almost certainly something that ONLY happened because Kishi needed an out to how strong he made Madara and realized he could just make a villain who is technically stronger but with glaring weaknesses that make her easier to take out than him

And even then is a complete non character whose evil deeds and thoughts are pretty much all monologued by a completely different character for some god forsaken reason

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
The problem with Kaguya is that her existence as the final boss is almost certainly something that ONLY happened because Kishi needed an out to how strong he made Madara and realized he could just make a villain who is technically stronger but with glaring weaknesses that make her easier to take out than him

And even then is a complete non character whose evil deeds and thoughts are pretty much all monologued by a completely different character for some god forsaken reason
I don't think Kaguya was made for that reason. Conceptually, she fits into the shadow history narrative that he builds throughout the series. I just think that Kaguya could have been better served by having some kind of hinting throughout the series that there was some deeper unknown. Kishi was basically going for turtles all the way down in terms of his view of history and how it arcs into personal narratives, Kaguya fits into this but she wasn't that interesting as a a character/person. I think he gambled by wanting to go for a surprise factor in having her come into play through taking over Madara.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I still don't quite understand why he couldn't just make up shit and say that Madara can also be sealed