• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
There are 52 million Catholics in the US. Trump got 73 million votes.
so i went on a little trip just for fun

google says there are 51 million catholics in america
and pew research says only 77% of american catholics have a favorable view of the pope
so 39 million american catholics

doesnt mean anything i guess, just fun numbers. i dont think "favorable view" and trust are the same thing really. and i have no idea how to even start counting how many people "trust" donald trump, surely not votes

sure but you don't necessarily need to be Catholic to trust the Pope,that's more of a floor than a ceiling

but yeah really tough to put numbers on this stuff

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's dumb that people trust actors/celebrities so much. I like eg Tom Hanks as a performer, but we don't really know anything beyond the characters he plays and his public persona. I feel like Kevin Spacey was extremely respected before the revelations about him. Ellen Degeneres for some reason people love, even though she's obviously been a phony for years, and then a bunch of stories became public about her being very different in private. We really shouldn't put so much stock in people just because we enjoy their work.

Isn't he a quiet conservative? nah Edit: Oh he endorsed Biden....hmmm
Yes and yes.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My heart says Noam Chomsky, but my mind says, for the public, the White Power Propaganda Hour starring Tucker Carlson.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Tends to be more with one major demographic, though. Women. It's a huge and powerful demographic, though.
My heart says Noam Chomsky, but my mind says, for the public, the White Power Propaganda Hour starring Tucker Carlson.
Problem with Chomsky--not his problem--but he's been blacklisted from all major forms of media, including left leaning publications like the NYT/WaPo/Atlantic.

His consistent with critique of American hegemony and the corporate state is too much for those publications. One of the former NYT executive editors actually admitted. And this was back in the 60/70s.

OP
OP
Realyst

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
This is all kinda missing the point. Cronkite was trusted because we, collectively, trusted the newsmedia to tell it like it is. To stand above the fray. To tell us the truth and hold the feet of the powerful to the fire. It's why conservative talk radio, among others, demonize them so much. If they make it so people feel like they can't trust the fourth estate, then we're just going to slide more and more into partisanship. A functional democracy needs a trusted newsmedia. Without that, it's just all lies and bullshit from everyone, and those seeking power will always lie or mislead us. It's why having the someone acting as an impartial referee is so important.
I agree with you in that it was newsmedia in general that was trusted. But Cronkite was synonymous with The News back then. He was the mouthpiece that represented what the fourth estate's collective mission was about. There hasn't been anyone since then that had as much respect or pull, and I'm including the time before the fairness doctrine was abolished and the rise of Roger Ailes.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Dudes like Zuckerberg, Bezos, Cook, Pichai, etc. Take your pick. We've entrusted them with so much personal info they practically know us better than our own family.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
As good of a pick Tom Hanks seems, he will still be "leftist hollywood elite" and would have to "shut up and stick to acting" if he said anything political.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
As good of a pick Tom Hanks seems, he will still be "leftist hollywood elite" and would have to "shut up and stick to acting" if he said anything political.
Tom Hanks is on the shit-list for the crazies in Q-Anon, so he's out.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017

Ryoku

Oct 28, 2017
Lmao I swear, some of you haven't internalized half the country's voters voted for Trump.
Seeing some of these responses like "Obama" or "Bill Nye"....

Tom Hanks.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
26841e0df186b45165f7f537382c525d.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on which political party you vote for. Republicans don't give a shit what liberal ass Tom Hanks or anyone from Hollywood thinks.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I am not American but I would imagine it is Tom Hanks as many others have said. Which...you know...he's an actor.