• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Jim Thorpe. Won the decathlon and pentathlon in the 1912 Olympics and played pro baseball, football and basketball afterwards.
Decathletes should probably be getting more recognition in here. They've proven to be multi-talented at a variety of different skills.
If somebody is going claim their favorite is the most talented, there should at least be some evidence that the player is multi-skilled and not just dominant in their particular sport.

stuckpixel

Dec 27, 2017
If you're asking who is the greatest talent, that will vary by sport. The greatest athlete of all time? Muhammad Ali, no question.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
There is no correct way to answer that question. Even within the same sport of a difficult question.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Talented? In terms of athletic ability or technical skill?

Athletic ability: Bo (the easy answer for me)
Technical ability: Federer (he makes precision and skill under extreme duress look so effortless and graceful)
Combination: MJ (he's lightning and grace all-in-one. Can perform amazing feats of athleticism, but it's his detailed technique/footwork/etc. that makes him the GOAT)

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I'm Brazilian, so I kinda have to say Pelé.
But also i've seen many of his clips over the years in sports shows and the guy was something else.

Shooter

Oct 28, 2017
Bartolo Colon. I mean just look at this peak, physical specimen.

bartolo-colon-swing.jpg

usa_today_10788081.0.jpg

colon1.jpg

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The 10 general physical skills...
Strength, power, coordination, flexibility, balance, agility, cardiovascular, speed, accuracy, and stamina.

9 mental skills of successful athletes...
Choose and maintain a positive attitude.
Maintain a high level of self-motivation
Set high, realistic goals.
Deal effectively with people.
Use positive self-talk
Use positive mental imagery.
Manage anxiety effectively.
Manage their emotions effectively.
Maintain concentration.

Most pro athletes have all the mental skills but not necessarily all the physical skills. That depends on the sport.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
If we are only talking humans then Bo Jackson.. If not then Secretariat literal FREAK OF NATURE.

oggob

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Don Bradman is the GOAT of GOATers

HHpy7Tf.png

Standard Deviation represents how far above the average player in their field they were. (data compiled in 2009)

1219bradman.jpg

You were doing fine with that first pic, but that comparison with David Warner's T20 career... who the fuck thought that was a comparison to make, whilst a basic runs/ave vs innings can highlight a difference, T20 is tip and run and in no way compatible to Test Cricket.

I can't fathom a publication that thought this was a good comparison to make, lol

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Bartolo Colon. I mean just look at this peak, physical specimen.

bartolo-colon-swing.jpg

usa_today_10788081.0.jpg

colon1.jpg

This is an argument I have made in the past. People like Colon, Prince/Cecil Fielder, David Wells, Phil Kessel, Iniesta, are some of the greatest athletes as they are able to perform at the highest level despite looking like out of shape bums. Like imagine if any of these guys were cut and able to lose like 30 plus pounds of fat.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Messi is likely the best player in the most popular (and therefore probably most contested?) discipline. I think I'll go with him.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
FIrst, we have to separate talent from records.
Just because you are the most talented, does not mean you will break all the records... there are also other circumstances that affect as well.

I dont know.. but pure pure talent.. I say Mario Lemieux over Gretzky any day of the week.
Lemieux was far more complete.. he could pass, he could dribble, had a great accurate shot and was more physical than Gretzky.

I mean, last year before coming to NHL Lemieux made 282 points in 70 (ish) games.
Between Lemieux and Gretzky, guess who has the highest goal scoring average?

I can go on.. but on pure talent, Lemieux beats Gretzky.. and a healthy Lemieux would have erased some of Gretzkys records. Gretzky was amazing but its crazy to think that Lemieux was actually the better player..

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
This is an argument I have made in the past. People like Colon, Prince/Cecil Fielder, David Wells, Phil Kessel, Iniesta, are some of the greatest athletes as they are able to perform at the highest level despite looking like out of shape bums. Like imagine if any of these guys were cut and able to lose like 30 plus pounds of fat.
Iniesta is /was as skinny as fuck. What are you talking about?

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
Messi.

He's the greatest player the most popular sport in the world has ever seen. He's been the best player in the world for a decade plus. Watching him is just magic. His stats are insane but so is his style. He makes even world class players look like amateurs and he does it day in day out for years on end and continues to add to his game even past 30.

Even Ronaldinho said this about Messi when he won his Ballon d'Or:

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is way way too much of a difference between various sports to even attempt to lump them all together and try to come up with a "most talented athlete" amoung all of them.

It's simply not possible. Things like this absolutely MUST be broken down by sport.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Vezzali was a monster foil fencer and I don't think anyone in the modern game can be as dominant as she was. Could also make a case for Kolobkov, the Epee fencer responsible for the Namek bout where he scored like five hits in five seconds. God he was amazing.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017

One of the things I love about baseball (and football, for that matter) is that it has a place for a wide range of body types. CC Sabathia wouldn't have a prayer as an outfielder, but there's a niche in which he can be productive. Ryan Howard didn't steal many bases, but he didn't need to.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know shit about cricket but the stats on Don Bradman are just ludicrous. Either no one else has ever been good at cricket or he is the best dude at a sport ever.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this thread is made for guys like Bo Jackson & Dieon Sanders. It's one thing to be good at a singular sport, but to be dope in multiple? Phew. I also think NFL players tend to be more athletic than other sports because certain positions in American football require you to be great at multiple disciplines.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CEEENNAAAAAAA

R6ct.gif

1. WWE Championship - 13 times
  2. World Heavyweight Championship - 3 times
  3. WWE Tag Team Championship - 2 times
  4. WWE United States Championship - 5 times
  5. World Tag Team Championship - 2 times
  6. 2012 Money in the Bank winner
  7. 2 time Royal Rumble Winner
  8. 3 time Super Star of the Year Slammy Award winner
  9. OVW Heavyweight Championship - 1 time
  10. OVW Southern Tag Team Championship - 1 time
  11. UPW Heavyweight Championship - 1 time

And that's not even counting his PWI awards. No other person has ever been so dominant.

Do you know this shit is fake... right?

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Bo Jackson for me, with Serena Williams as a close second. She was just so... dominant in her sport.

Also lets not forget what Bo did to poor Bosworth.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like this Tiger anecdote:

Marshall got his golf clubs at one point and asked Tiger to sign his TaylorMade bag. Tiger refused, sheepishly, saying he couldn't sign a competing brand. So Marshall challenged him to a driving contest for the signature. Both Marshall and Brown confirmed what happened next: Tiger grinned and agreed. Some other guys gathered around a raised area overlooking the shooting range. Marshall went first and hit a solid drive, around 260 or 270 yards. Tiger looked at him and teed up a ball, gripping the TaylorMade driver.

Then he got down on his knees.

He swung the club like a baseball bat and crushed one out past Marshall's drive. Tiger started laughing, and then all the SEALs started laughing, and eventually Marshall was laughing too.