• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
From my highschool friends, I have two that work for FAANG companies, one that works for Tesla, two that work for a startup (one previously went to West Point and has finished his duty and the other previously worked for a FAANG company), one that works as a space radar logistics consultant, and then my dumbass who is only a lowly Civil Engineer working for a construction company.

From my college friends, this is a little more obscure for me in a lot of cases but my best friend got a PHD in Mathematics and a lot of the rest live in NYC doing either finance or engineering work.

Most of my current friends are doctors or are going to be doctors because my SO just finished med school and is going into residency.

Kind of hard to pick a singular friend in my case. Maybe the guy at Tesla? I know he regrets selling some of his stock compensation from when he first joined 5+ years ago but I think he must have made a pretty penny in the run-up regardless.

In terms of well-being, I think most of my friends are in pretty good spots but it can be hard to tell from a distance. When I see them things seem to be going well generally. I have a few friends that are happily married and have houses, one friend is now moving out to his dream spot to work remotely and just got married and had his first kid last year.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh it's probably my wife, she's director level at a tech company. Brother in law is also a new doctor so he's doing well too. I don't know anyone who struck it super big.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
The US version of succesful?
So "who earns the most money"?

One of my best friends is a lawyer.
He makes a lot of money.
He's not happy though.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Eh, I'm not sure.

I have 2 best guy friends, and my wife's best friend is also my friend (she'd be #3).

All 3 make $70k+ a year. My closest friend works for Micheline and the other 2 own their own business (not sure exactly what they make) + one also works at the top of Clemson University as the organizer/planner for the Football team.

I don't know that I could pick one. I'd say all 3 are successful.

(If you bring my wife into it she's also VERY driven and has moved up quickly at 35. I was just thinking friends outside my immediate family.)

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
All of us. None of us have amazing careers or anything but we all made it out of our neighborhood without large rap sheets, being in poverty, or having an addiction. Not many folks were fortunate enough to.

That's successful to me.

This.

I know two doctors (siblings) but they also had nasty coke addictions back in the day. Thankfully mommy and daddy paid for rehab and medical school overseas.

coolhandleek

Oct 27, 2017
For my childhood friends who I hang with frequently, I have two who worked as custodians and are doing pretty well for themselves. One has a GF and a kid, the other has a GF with 2 dogs and is looking to move to Atlanta to get a house. I'd also say we are all doing alright for 4 guys who grew up in NYC.

Outside of that circle, I would have to say another friend and her boyfriend/fiancé. Last year we were hanging out and I discovered that they both make about $150K (a little more than double of my salary). I was kinda shocked as we've been friends for about 5 years but never talked about their salary. They're pretty happy and I'm happy for them.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a friend who's father is on the Forbes billionaire list. He works for the family business (and works hard and he's good at it). He vacations with Jerry Seinfeld and the like. He probably doesn't count though since he inherited his wealth

It's probably my Sister in Law. She started and runs her own PR firm in Miami Beach, she's a pretty big name down there apparently. Built it all herself

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Childhood best friend owns an Amazon delivery company and a franchise restaurant (can't remember name of the chain, Japanese style food). I give him a lot of props, he got where he is working from the bottom up at UPS, made some smart investments in his early 20s, and being really good at poker.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
My highschool friend group all became dentists, doctors, engineers, lawyers, psychiatrists, etc. Was a public school, but we were in a competitive academic program.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
In my direct friend group - one of them has a Wikipedia page. As far as my "close acquaintances" go, I've got a few professional athletes in there and a ton of college athletes.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen people with what you call a good career but miserable as fuck. Not really successful in that case methinks

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's difficult to define "success". I have a friend who has had an incredible amount of life experiences, working mostly up north as a geologist for stints between trips to Europe and South America and will be starting a masters program in the next couple years... Does he have a solid stable career? No. Does he own a house? No - in fact he hasn't had an actual place of residence for over a year - just bouncing around friend's couches between jobs/traveling. BUT he's living exactly the life he wants to live so I consider him very successful.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Súper close group? Me. I am very far in my career, generally super happy and easy going, very few concerns in life right now. Married, own house, very confortable income on my own (6 digits), and DINKs. Well traveled, bunch of projects and lots of nice experiences under my belt. Owned several business, great success in investments, etc.

Expanded group? As in coworkers who've become friend or others? I am friends with two CEOs, but one of them is a financial institution with several hundreds of millions in assets so it'd be him career and money wise, but he's not the happiest guy ever.

I don't compare myself though, it's a waste of time and everyone's definition of success is different. To me it's money, fulfillment and happiness. I have a close friend who's always broke but he's super chill, enjoys his job and doesn't have concerns. "Basic" life but that's what he measures success against. So, good for him!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hah, he's a Crypto bro, made so much money. Paid off his mortgage at 35! Just chilling now.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I think it's how we measure success but these are the guys I talk to damn near everyday either via phone or text messages. One is a corporate VP for a tech giant we work for. Two are directors at the same tech giant and one is a lower grade but still baller AF to hang with. Me, I'm a lead and I love what I'm doing.

All the guys are happily married and are in their kids life to some extent. I'm probably the one that spends the most time with their kid because of how our home is structured and I love it. It's a tight group of men and I'd be happy to be associated with them even if we didn't work for the same company.

Last edited:

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
All of my friends are successful in their own ways. But as far as public success goes, a cousin of mine works in Hollywood as a costume designer and set designer, and has worked with some big stars.

I also have a cousin who was the head booker for Ring of Honor (Delirious).

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Of people that I would consider "close friends" (people that I could call up to go to a movie or play video games), that's probably me, which... doesn't say a lot of positive stuff for me or my friends lmao.

For people on the next ring out though, work colleagues or parents of my kids' friends that I might go to a nice dinner with on occassion, I know lots of very successful doctors, lawyers, and engineers that make me feel like a stain on society. My daughter has, by every metric, the least successful parents in her circle, a fact that's hard to keep from devouring your soul.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
We're all pretty close in socioeconomic status, but one makes almost twice as much as the rest of us (and we all make pretty good money).

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
In my old circle of best friends from high school, only I was. Everyone dropped out, and are scrapping to get by. One old best friend even went to prison for murder.

In college, we all succeeded basically. We either became physicians, executives, or an equally important role

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Out of my closest friends its prob me or my sysadmin buddy - he and his lady are both doing very well along the same track as I am. Same fields and such.

Out of all my friends including Facebook kinda friends and such I got a few good peeps from high school that did really well. One of my best friends from way back who I haven't talked to in forever works for Boeing and another (his family at least) own a pretty successful brewery in my area.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Depends on your idea of success. If it's strictly money, then probably my friend.

If it's a combination of typical life experiences like career, money, homeownership, family (if desired), travelled, and happiness, I'd consider him and I to be about the same.

Biggest difference is that he had a few years head start since he got assistance from his parents. I'm also more humble about it, whereas him and his wife have created a rift between them and others in our friend group.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
This is something I've been thinking about lately.. As I get older I'm getting to the point where some of my friends incomes are starting to diverge, and it's interesting to see how that affects our group. We're all still in white collar fields, and the middle to upper middle household income but it'll be interesting to see what things are like going forward.
One of our friends is in software development and has jumped jobs enough that he makes as much as my wife and I combined, but even so our lifestyles aren't much different yet.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Me, and that's not a good thing. I'm also probably the most flawed and miserable though.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I think it's me honestly lol. Others are taking gambles that might pay off well in the next 5-6 years. Because of that I am the one with the best paying/most stable job at the moment. I will say my friends and I have really cheap taste (ie a hangout sessions involves eating out , chatting, and or playing a game/watching a show). So money ain't really a factor in what we do

golanalb

Dec 30, 2020
One of my closest friends is a very successful influencer (1.5mil followers on insta). She has tons of income streams and is always working on more. A lot of that group of friends are actually fairly successful on social media so I'm actually towards the lower end income wise with my office job (90k/yr).

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I got a friend who has cool research job at a famous GPU vendor. I also got a friend who tries to "work" as little as possible (just to cover the cost of living) and make a career out of standup comedy and organising shows. Income-wise, the first dude probably wins but I think the second dude has a more enjoyable life.

So:

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
To me, my friend who is retired at the age of 48 thanks to getting into stocks and foreign exchange back when it first became a thing in the US. He actually still works but barely makes anything at his job but loves what he is doing, but he does not have to work.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I guess it's me rn since I've started my career but I have two friends that will catch up once they finish school.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Got one friend from college who is a high-ranking engineer with AT&T.
Spent the last 15 years wealth-building and penny-pinching, so all his stuff is paid off and he enjoys a pretty cush bachelor life.

Another friend at the top of heap got into crypto early and heavy.
Owns an industrial-sized mining operation in the north GA mountains.
He's been my hardware hookup for PC stuff during the pandemic shortages.
On top of being in my FFXIV raid group, we still hang in-person from time to time, usually at Harrah's in Cherokee NC.

Rest of my friends are broke af, so I probably rank third. lmao

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
one of my close high school friend (we only kept in touch on linkedin now lol) bounced around a few tech companies and now one of the big shot at airbnb, I think he was one of their earlier employees as well. Another college friend lead a bunch of named product development and now leading a hardware team at microsoft.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
A lot of my friends are pretty successful, I guess the most financially so is someone who works in tech and has two places. I don't think he's particularly happy tho and struggles with a lot, so we're really just talking about financially.

I used to be friends with someone whos the sister of one of the most... uhh rich people in the world? It was a very badly kept secret but she refused to tell anyone even tho it was pretty clear at least that she was very well off without ever actually having to work (she herself was a very hard worker, but just like... didnt have to put her efforts towards things that made her money). She was kinda a little too hard to keep as a friend tho and we drifted apart, she was just like always on edge. I rarely even considered the aspect of her family its just fun to remember sometimes that I have like two degrees of separation from someone like that.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
It's me from a pure salary perspective (and I'm not on the high end or anything, but doing well), but we've chosen to live in the heart of Canada's biggest city, so our lives are more expensive and home ownership is impossible. So one of my lower-earning friends and his wife own a home outside the city, and we don't. They're probably better set up for long term "success" as a result.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Several of my friends are very successful, award-winning authors so I don't play this game lol.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
One of my friends went to Art Center for car design, he ended up becoming the "Vice President of Design" at one of the biggest sunglasses companies.

LoveAndBeer

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lexington, KY
In my close friends group we are all actually pretty equal in terms of salary. Some have higher sounding job titles versus the others but none of us really care, we're all corporate cogs in IT.

And very very happy that way

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
One of my friends who's a senior software engineer for a FANG (there's like three of them). Not sure which one tbh. Maybe the one with a PhD from MIT or something.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the one who worked for Facebook, got to live in Cali, London, and then NY and then left FB for Google. He's doing pretty well.