• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most powerful bender

• Zuko

Votes: 56 6.3%
  • Katara

Votes: 161 18.1%
  • Toph

Votes: 672 75.6%

• Total voters

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Yeah, Korra was so good because she was born into a world of peace and raised under the protection of the White Lotus and the full support of all the nations that enabled her to flourish. She was born into privilege. Still didn't mean shit when she lost her bending in the first season. Worst Avatar ever.

She lost her bending to the most powerful non-avatar bender in the entire series. That entire family was OP and basically could only be stopped by the avatar state.

Yakkon solo'd the entire OG crew + courtroom and was twising Aang in knots before the Avatar State came out.

ShabbyCalmDesertpupfish-max-1mb.gif

Tarrlok solo'd Korra's crew + Tenzin and Lin.
Blood-bending-Legend-of-Korra-blood-bending-31177511-500-230.gif

And Amon was a better bloodbender than both and could take your bending away
oukDha7.gif

If Amon and Tarrlok had worked together I'm not sure what you could do against them 😂. Season 1 could only end the way it did because there's no way anyone (Well besides maybe Unalaq) could rise to power unchecked with them around.

On topic I gotta go with Toph. Great at all ages.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They did air scooter races in the beginning of Book 2 of The Legend of Korra. Actually I think Tenzin's kids use the air scooter multiple times.
Aang taught other people the Air Scooter (Including other Air Nomad children in the flashbacks!). It's easy to learn, but it took a creative and skilled Airbender to invent it in the first place.

I don't think it shows Aang was "better" than Korra. Korra is someone who tends to take the most direct approach to solving problems, while Aang tends to take the most indirect approach.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I don't know why but the way you phrased this makes you sound so angry. Like you were a character from the show that had personal beef with her.
She lost her bending to the most powerful non-avatar bender in the entire series. That entire family was OP and basically could only be stopped by the avatar state.

Yakkon solo'd the entire OG crew + courtroom and was twising Aang in knots before the Avatar State came out.

ShabbyCalmDesertpupfish-max-1mb.gif

Tarrlok solo'd Korra's crew + Tenzin and Lin.
Blood-bending-Legend-of-Korra-blood-bending-31177511-500-230.gif

And Amon was a better bloodbender than both and could take your bending away
oukDha7.gif

If Amon and Tarrlok had worked together I'm not sure what you could do against them 😂. Season 1 could only end the way it did because there's no way anyone (Well besides maybe Unalaq) could rise to power unchecked with them around.

On topic I gotta go with Toph. Great at all ages.

Yeah, none of this is wrong, but just shows how garbage the writing and the show was. Regardles, Korra's failures piled up throughout the rest of the show.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Disrespecting the flying kickapow without even having him on the poll, I see how it is.

It's Toph though

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
In terms of who would win in a fight by looking only at their powers, then its Katara with bloodbending (not that she would use it).

In terms of who is the most powerful in their element, it's Toph. Invented metalbending and perfected it in a way that no one else was able to.

But alas, bloodbending OP.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Toph is as equally strong as Bumi, easily one of the strongest benders ever, so..

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Full moon blood bending Katara is the strongest, but she doesn't like to use blood bending so eh.

And yes she'd beat Toph, we saw how she got handled by Yakone. It took avatar state Aang to break free from Yakone.

But every other day of the year Toph is the strongest.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Easily Toph. didn't her battle with Bumi(one of the greatest Earthbenders ever) end in a draw? Aside from bloodbending, I still don't see Katara drawing with Paku let alone defeating him.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
I don't remember much of the show, unfortunately (need to rewatch), but blood bending is OP, so voting for Katara. Then again, Toph could probably smash a person with rock plates. Idk, both could probably instakill.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Easily Toph. didn't her battle with Bumi(one of the greatest Earthbenders ever) end in a draw? Aside from bloodbending, I still don't see Katara drawing with Paku let alone defeating him.

Katara was on par or better than Pakku by the beginning of Book Earth. She was the strongest waterbender in the world rather early in the series, and it was only cemented with bloodbending.

Even though Katara wasn't at Noatak's level of busted, bloodbending in itself is so busted that it functionally defeats every single bender immediately. The only person who can do anything about Bloodbending is the Avatar, or busted ass Amon. Benders who can shoot lightning might have a shot, but only if the bloodbender is unaware they have the capability.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a tossup between Toph and Katsura. This avatar talk just makes me wish someone have the franchise a video game like Insomniac's Spider Man

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Katara was on par or better than Pakku by the beginning of Book Earth. She was the strongest waterbender in the world rather early in the series, and it was only cemented with bloodbending.

Even though Katara wasn't at Noatak's level of busted, bloodbending in itself is so busted that it functionally defeats every single bender immediately. The only person who can do anything about Bloodbending is the Avatar, or busted ass Amon. Benders who can shoot lightning might have a shot, but only if the bloodbender is unaware they have the capability.
I mean... That's because he is a Bloodbender.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The way I imagine blood bending working is that any steiner (water? Blood?) bender can just overpower it.

But, really, all the good guys handicap the shit out of themselves in other to not just flat out kill people. Look how many people Gyatso took out on his own before he died. Anyone at his level would be a complete monster.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... That's because he is a Bloodbender.

He's the bloodbender. He can bloodbend people without even moving. But that's my point. There is nothing anyone else can do if Katara wanted to bloodbend them. No one is a stronger waterbender than her outside of Avatar State Aang, so Katara will have the most leverage against anyone she could conceivably measure up against.

The way I imagine blood bending working is that any steiner (water? Blood?) bender can just overpower it.

You have to be a more powerful waterbender to overpower it. Basically you have to be better at controlling the water in your blood than the person attempting bloodbend you. See: Hama/Katara, Amon/Tarrlok.

Nov 17, 2017
Can Toph earthbend with her face like Bumi? If so, she could beat Katara even with bloodbending since bloodbending never seemed to stop people from talking.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Can Toph earthbend with her face like Bumi? If so, she could beat Katara even with bloodbending since bloodbending never seemed to stop people from talking.

She probably could earthbend with slight movements, but in a scenario where Katara is ever bloodbending her, it would be a total body restriction. Maybe if she got the EIP supersonic screech, it would be a closer match.

Nov 17, 2017
She probably could earthbend with slight movements, but in a scenario where Katara is ever bloodbending her, it would be a total body restriction. Maybe if she got the EIP supersonic screech, it would be a closer match.
Yeah, I guess the point is moot when Yakone bloodbended Toph and she could do anything. So I guess Katara wins one night of the year unless Toph knows Katara can bloodbend, then Toph would still probably beat her.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but Korra wasn't the best at bending anything.

Aang actually was actually a top tier air bender since to even be considered a master Air bender you have to come up with a technique noone else had managed to. That's not the case with any other bending style and it's something Korra herself didn't manage.

I don't think we even see anyone else pull off the air scooter.
Korra's the best waterbender in the series. She learned everything from Katara and is even a better healer than her (though this might be due to avatar shenanigans). Korra can also use several water techniques that Katara couldn't such as utilizing water molecules in the air and the weird water-based spirit bending. And while Korra doesn't use blood bending, she knows enough of the basics to identify it AND break free of it without the avatar state (something Aang couldn't do). I'm not sure how anyone can argue that Korra isn't the best waterbender.

Korra's also naturally gifted in fire bending to the point that the show states multiple times that it's basically her main element due to her personality. And she's gifted enough in earth bending to have instantly picked up metal bending.

The stuff Korra struggled at was airbending and the spiritual aspect of being the avatar (just like Aang struggled with earthbending and the physical aspects). But Korra entirely brute forced airbending just like Aang did with earthbending & physicality. By the end Korra was able to astral project and use fine precision airbending. It's the diplomacy & spiritual parts of being Avatar that she sucked at.

Also people forget how jacked Korra was. Like she could probably knock out adult Aang with a single punch if they were in a boxing match.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017

I think you're exaggerating. Paku never said that, just that she was a fast learner. They never fight again(the only time they did, he trounced her). Katara doesn't say that. Toph says she's the best earthbender ever(but can you blame her? she invented a new bending form)

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
It is clear by feats and how rapidly Katara improves that she is on par or stronger than Pakku. He considers her a peer by the time Book Earth starts, and Katara only gets stronger from there. The show isn't shy about positioning Katara as a powerful bender.

Nov 17, 2017
Korra's the best waterbender in the series. She learned everything from Katara and is even a better healer than her (though this might be due to avatar shenanigans). Korra can also use several water techniques that Katara couldn't such as utilizing water molecules in the air and the weird water-based spirit bending. And while Korra doesn't use blood bending, she knows enough of the basics to identify it AND break free of it without the avatar state (something Aang couldn't do). I'm not sure how anyone can argue that Korra isn't the best waterbender.

Korra's also naturally gifted in fire bending to the point that the show states multiple times that it's basically her main element due to her personality. And she's gifted enough in earth bending to have instantly picked up metal bending.

The stuff Korra struggled at was airbending and the spiritual aspect of being the avatar (just like Aang struggled with earthbending and the physical aspects). But Korra entirely brute forced airbending just like Aang did with earthbending & physicality. By the end Korra was able to astral project and use fine precision airbending. It's the diplomacy & spiritual parts of being Avatar that she sucked at.

Also people forget how jacked Korra was. Like she could probably knock out adult Aang with a single punch if they were in a boxing match.
People definitely underplay how strong of a bender Korra was. Especially her water bending. I've seen some people say her waterbending was weak.

tumblr_inline_mrg9vhBe781qz4rgp.gif

14cc392a7c475a7a7831b0c1d6dc62a1.gif

Like she does these without even tapping into the Avatar State. Maybe in terms of versatility Katara is better but Korra is a powerhouse. That second gif looks like some sort of waterbending version of Sozin's Comet was in orbit.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
It is clear by feats and how rapidly Katara improves that she is on par or stronger than Pakku. He considers her a peer by the time Book Earth starts, and Katara only gets stronger from there. The show isn't shy about positioning Katara as a powerful bender.
Being considered a peer does not mean stronger. There's no evidence that shows Katara was better than Paku or that he would have a harder time against Katara's opponents(I would love to see Paku vs Azula). At least Toph and Bumi, 2 of the best earthbenders actually fought to a draw(in the comics sure but they're canon according to the creators). If Katara and Paku had another fight then we'd know.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, none of this is wrong, but just shows how garbage the writing and the show was. Regardles, Korra's failures piled up throughout the rest of the show.
Nah, it shows you want a protagonist who only wins all the time. The complaints about Korra losing are by far the most bizarre and eye-rollingly nitpicky complaints I see on this board, and in the Avatar fanbase in general

People definitely underplay how strong of a bender Korra was. Especially her water bending. I've seen some people say her waterbending was weak.

tumblr_inline_mrg9vhBe781qz4rgp.gif

14cc392a7c475a7a7831b0c1d6dc62a1.gif

Like she does these without even tapping into the Avatar State. Maybe in terms of versatility Katara is better but Korra is a powerhouse. That second gif looks like some sort of waterbending version of Sozin's Comet was in orbit.
Because people are super pressed over ATLA to the point where everything about it, from the show itself to all the characters and their skills, are superior to those in Korra

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
It's Toph.

When the writers have to write a character out of the story because otherwise that character would solve the issue instantly, like Kid Flash in Legends, that character tends to be the best character in the group.

That was easily Toph in ATLA.

Also I don't think it's fair to label an Avatar as the best of any type of bending, but given that Korra got regularly spanked by 2 water benders, you can't then call her the best water benders anyhow.

Korra took way too many L's though, got to parody levels.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Amon is the strongest waterbender in the series, and it's not close outside of the Avatar State.

Being considered a peer does not mean stronger. There's no evidence that shows Katara was better than Paku or that he would have a harder time against Katara's opponents(I would love to see Paku vs Azula). At least Toph and Bumi, 2 of the best earthbenders actually fought to a draw(in the comics sure but they're canon according to the creators). If Katara and Paku had another fight then we'd know.

Katara becomes a master waterbender in a few months, and is objectively a better waterbender than the Avatar even though they both begin learning waterbending around the same time. She is Pakku's peer by the beginning of Book Earth, and only gets stronger from there. By the time of the events of the Puppetmaster and the Southern Raiders, the show is pretty clearly positioning Katara as the strongest waterbender in the world. She has the feats to back it up, and it becomes solidified when she learns to bloodbend.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Katara becomes a master waterbender in a few months, and is objectively a better waterbender than the Avatar even though they both begin learning waterbending around the same time. She is Pakku's peer by the beginning of Book Earth, and only gets stronger from there. By the time of the events of the Puppetmaster and the Southern Raiders, the show is pretty clearly positioning Katara as the strongest waterbender in the world. She has the feats to back it up, and it becomes solidified when she learns to bloodbend.
Paku never says Katara is a master waterbender. He says she's learned enough from him to teach Aang(who isn't taking his lessons seriously and barely knows anything, prefering to play with Momo) since he can't stay there nor that Paku can go with them, Bloodbending doesn't make you the strongest waterbender especially since it can only be done one night a month unless you got Yakone's genes. I'm just not seeing any feats Katara has that another waterbender, especially one with Paku's experience can't do.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
Put me down for Toph as well, although I wouldn't put Katara very far behind.

Speaking of Toph though, I recently re-watched a couple fight scenes on youtube, and noticed for the first time that she's often able to "see" things that she maybe shouldn't be able to?
For example, in this scene,

she's able to detect someone swinging towards her from a rope (presumably hanging from the ceiling) and take him out no problem.
In another scene that I can't find because it was in a compilation, a fire nation ship launches a projectile at the boat that Toph is on, and Toph is somehow able to launch a rock to knock out the projectile mid-air.
Is seismic sense so powerful that she can can detect vibrations from a rope swinging from the ceiling, or a projectile from a catapult on another boat that's sitting in ocean water?

Edit - I just realized in the scene I linked that they show her ear twitch to signify that she heard him.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Put me down for Toph as well, although I wouldn't put Katara very far behind.

Speaking of Toph though, I recently re-watched a couple fight scenes on youtube, and noticed for the first time that she's often able to "see" things that she maybe shouldn't be able to?
For example, in this scene,

she's able to detect someone swinging towards her from a rope (presumably hanging from the ceiling) and take him out no problem.
In another scene that I can't find because it was in a compilation, a fire nation ship launches a projectile at the boat that Toph is on, and Toph is somehow able to launch a rock to knock out the projectile mid-air.
Is seismic sense so powerful that she can can detect vibrations from a rope swinging from the ceiling, or a projectile from a catapult on another boat that's sitting in ocean water?

Airborne dust?

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Paku never says Katara is a master waterbender. He says she's learned enough from him to teach Aang(who isn't taking his lessons seriously and barely knows anything, prefering to play with Momo) since he can't stay there nor that Paku can go with them, Bloodbending doesn't make you the strongest waterbender especially since it can only be done one night a month unless you got Yakone's genes. I'm just not seeing any feats Katara has that another waterbender, especially one with Paku's experience can't do.

Pakku refers to Katara as "Master Katara," and says in that same conversation you're referencing that waterbending scrolls are nothing like learning from a "real master," indicating that Katara is that master. As a member of the White Lotus, Pakku knows how important teaching the Avatar is, so him handing that duty off to Katara after three weeks shows he considers her a master waterbender, outside of him referring to Katara as a master waterbender.

Bloodbending is positioned as the equivalent to metalbending, and is so rare that even 70 years after Katara learns how to do it, there are extremely few known bloodbenders. It is absolutely an elite waterbending ability, and Katara learns how to do it almost immediately, and instantly turns it against a more experienced master waterbender.

Either way, Katara is consistently portrayed as a uniquely gifted waterbending prodigy, and she quickly ascends to the top of her discipline in little more than a year.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
Realized right after I posted (lol) that she twitches her ear right before, so she probably just heard the guy.

Found the boat scene though.

Starts with her launching a rock to take out a catapult on another boat, and leads into her taking out the mid-air projectile launched from a different boat.
Not trying to nit-pick the show which I have nothing but love for, just wanted to see what era thinks about it.

Nov 17, 2017
Realized right after I posted (lol) that she twitches her ear right before, so she probably just heard the guy.

Found the boat scene though.

Starts with her launching a rock to take out a catapult on another boat, and leads into her taking out the mid-air projectile launched from a different boat.
Not trying to nit-pick the show which I have nothing but love for, just wanted to see what era thinks about it.

It kind of looks like the Duke is telling her where to shoot?

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Pakku refers to Katara as "Master Katara," and says in that same conversation you're referencing that waterbending scrolls are nothing like learning from a "real master," indicating that Katara is that master. As a member of the White Lotus, Pakku knows how important teaching the Avatar is, so him handing that duty off to Katara after three weeks shows he considers her a master waterbender, outside of him referring to Katara as a master waterbender.

Bloodbending is positioned as the equivalent to metalbending, and is so rare that even 70 years after Katara learns how to do it, there are extremely few known bloodbenders. It is absolutely an elite waterbending ability, and Katara learns how to do it almost immediately, and instantly turns it against a more experienced master waterbender.

Either way, Katara is consistently portrayed as a uniquely gifted waterbending prodigy, and she quickly ascends to the top of her discipline in little more than a year.
If bloodbending was metalbending's equivalent, it would be a lot more common. It isn't rare in Korra since entire police forces use it. From the episode, it seems to bloodbend, you have to be a certain skill level and do it during a full moon, and you can't bloodbend waterbendes more powerful than you. There's nothing saying it's something special few waterbenders can do. If Paku(and the White Lotus by extension) knew how important teaching the avatar was, they would have made a more conscious effort to get in touch with aang, Jeong-Jeong and Iroh both neglect to when firebending was what aang would have the most trouble finding a master for. I'd call Paku foisting teaching duty onto Katara a temporary thing/taking advantage of the situation. If not, it'd be pretty dumb to think a student he trained for 3 weeks can prepare the avatar enough to fight the fire lord. I agree Katara is gifted, hell all of them except Sokka are gifted. I just don't think Katara is the best of her discipline. Not until she proves it like Toph did.

Last edited:

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's important to separate power and proficiency. Metal bending is a skill: once you learn how to do it, even average earthbenders are able to pick it up. Blood bending is also a skill but seems like it's gated by having enough power, hence the full moon "requirement" (remember that the moon just boosts all water bending and doesn't actually impart additional knowledge or anything), which Yakone's family circumvents by likely just being strong enough to do it.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Judging by book 2 I wouldn't exactly consider Korra in the top 3 in the world and she's absolutely not the best water bender in the show when the water bender from the red lotus exists.

Aang is the best air bender we've seen from either show. Only Zaheer with a great deal more years in mastery over air bending would could close.

Last edited:

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Well thanks to this thread I decided to watch the show again after not having watch it since it ended back in 2008. Forgot how good this show was, especially when I for the most part stopped watching Nickoleon all together since the early 90s.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Tenzin demonstrated better mastery of airbending in combat against Zaheer than Aang ever did.
Only thing Zaheer had was flying and that has more to do with mental state than anything otherwise Tenzin straight up was clowning Zaheer
Flying is op but Tenzin was clearly better in everything else

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Tenzin demonstrated better mastery of airbending in combat against Zaheer than Aang ever did.
He literally used a whole bunch of aang's moves in that fight. Even the low one leg blast air was shown by Aang in the begining of the show.

He didn't even use the upgraded two leg air scooter that allows you use air bending techniques while moving at high speeds near ground level which is actually a rather substantial combat upgrade.

Considering he was facing off against 4 opponents such a substantial boost in movement speed while being able to counter would have actually helped alot.

Last edited: