• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most powerful bender

• Zuko

Votes: 56 6.3%
  • Katara

Votes: 161 18.1%
  • Toph

Votes: 672 75.6%

• Total voters

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Here is Azula using lightning.
cNORopI.gif

Here's Mako.
FcHOWUf.gif

Anyone from Aang's time gets fried before they even know what's happening.

But, again, Mako himself is just an average bender during his own era and gets owned by everyone. It's just that 70 years is a long time.
ehhh ozai generated lightning just as quick and with greater volume and zuko countered that shit fast, it was also a surprise attack lmao

b158a8205b289491ce82fcb96da72a25.gif

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toph even though I love Katara.

I think the biggest injustice in the series is that Toph became a fucking cop as an adult, which I always thought was the least Toph thing should could have done.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but electricity in the Korra series was also apparently not as lethal? It's weird: in TLA lightning was coded as "this will fucking kill you" (while regular fireballs were generally shrugged off or blocked as though they were primarily concussive damage). But in Korra, especially with the lightning gauntlets but even with lightning bending IIRC, electricity was generally used more as a tasing than as lethal electrocution.
in tloa the know lighting bender always use it to go for a kill, Mako probably does not.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
It killed Aang and Ming-Hua. So pretty major damage.
To be fair, Aang was a frail little kid and Ming-Hua literally had limbs made of water which makes her incredibly vulnerable to lightning.

OT: it's clearly Toph, she invented a whole new bending discipline as a kid and was so powerful she could single-handedly take out multiple earthbender arena fighters, entire regiments of Dai Li agents, and basically the entire army of the Earth King without breaking a sweat. She had such a profound impact on the world that an entire city was founded in her honor and she pretty much had the same kind of ubiquity as the Avatar.

Basically your only hope of defeating Toph is being an incredibly skilled airbender who can go about undetected by her seismic vision but even then if you touch the ground you're dead. Zaheer is the perfect counter for her lol.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta go with Katara in terms of sheer power. Toph's advantage was in her skill, not her raw strength. Remember, Bumi was far stronger than Toph in terms of raw power, but Toph would probably have beaten him a fight, because she's just straight up better than every other Earthbender in the world. Not to say she's not powerful, she's more powerful than most Earthbenders, but that wasn't where her real strength was.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta go with Katara in terms of sheer power. Toph's advantage was in her skill, not her raw strength. Remember, Bumi was far stronger than Toph in terms of raw power, but Toph would probably have beaten him a fight, because she's just straight up better than every other Earthbender in the world. Not to say she's not powerful, she's more powerful than most Earthbenders, but that wasn't where her real strength was.

Still think the power was there, we saw it on the S2 last episodes trying to get to the king. Also, i think both skill and power were honed on those numerous matches against the boulder and the other dudes in the arena.

She's a monster. Still one of my favorite characters in media, ever.

Sep 11, 2020
Katara when she enters into "don't you dare touch my man" mode is unstoppable. So, with the proper conditions, she wins. If Aang (or someone nearly as close to her as Aang) isn't in danger, then Toph.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Still think the power was there, we saw it on the S2 last episodes trying to get to the king. Also, i think both skill and power were honed on those numerous matches against the boulder and the other dudes in the arena.

She's a monster. Still one of my favorite characters in media, ever.
I agree. I'm definitely not saying she's weak, she's anything but.. hehe.

It's interesting that in past times, the Avatar's teachers were chosen (by whoever) from among the best benders in the world. But without that structure that past Avatars had, fate itself seemed to intervene and ensured that he would cross paths with the very benders that were ideal to train him. Even when one of them is a novice in her own right, and another is his sworn enemy! Such amazing writing in TLA.

Shit, just talking about it makes me want to go watch it again.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People say who would win between Zuko vs. Katara

Honestly...

It'd be a pretty even fight... with whoever wins depending on if the sun or moon is out.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Toph is pretty busted lol. Funny enough, the only person who could probably take her on barring someone in the Avatar state or a bloodbender is Zaheer with his flying powerup since she wouldn't be able to see him at all.

Katara is no slouch though.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
Like other have said, Toph was already a master and could easily beat any of the gang. They kept finding ways to sideline her. Katara beating Azula isn't a thing to me since they had to make her unhinged for any of them to beat her.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So your whole argument comes down to Mako can perform lightning faster? How many times has lightning done major damage to anyone in either series?
No. My argument was that Aang and his team can't contend with things like instant lightning; electric gloves and whips; full contingents of martial artists fighting like Ty Lee; armored, metal-bending cops; platinum robots; etc.

Everything has leveled up by Korra's time.

Yeah, but electricity in the Korra series was also apparently not as lethal? It's weird: in TLA lightning was coded as "this will fucking kill you" (while regular fireballs were generally shrugged off or blocked as though they were primarily concussive damage). But in Korra, especially with the lightning gauntlets but even with lightning bending IIRC, electricity was generally used more as a tasing than as lethal electrocution.

Except that one time when Mako just nuked the bajeezus out of what's-her-name. But I'm pretty sure that took more than the little pew-pew you've got in this gif right here.
No wind up for that, either.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Like other have said, Toph was already a master and could easily beat any of the gang. They kept finding ways to sideline her. Katara beating Azula isn't a thing to me since they had to make her unhinged for any of them to beat her.

also people need to remember if Aang hadn't hit his back in the exact right place...

he loses to Ozai

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I wish people would stop with the Avatar/Korra comparisons. There isn't really one. They changed the rules of the world so drastically that it's a waste of time.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Well except for Korra herself. She could beat anyone on Aang's team, but I suppose that's cheating.

i like aang's chances against her lmao, he as the superior avatar state to boot
People say who would win between Zuko vs. Katara

Honestly...

It'd be a pretty even fight... with whoever wins depending on if the sun or moon is out.

people underrrate zuko , he did good against katara at the finale of book 2 , where katara almost defeated azula even

nah katar had her dead to rights here and then zuko saved her

a40e43cc79b4bbaad3be6e62ad34da2c32a92693.gifv

No. My argument was that Aang and his team can't contend with things like instant lightning; electric gloves and whips; full contingents of martial artists fighting like Ty Lee; armored, metal-bending cops; platinum robots; etc.

Everything has leveled up by Korra's time.

No wind up for that, either.
b158a8205b289491ce82fcb96da72a25.gif

again fast as fuck , little wind up , big as shit and zuko was caught off guard, countered it easy as shit

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
metalbending vs bloodbending

I dunno man, I gotta give it to Katara.

Toph is still the best though

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
in tloa the know lighting bender always use it to go for a kill, Mako probably does not.
IMO, the lightning bending that reached the masses by the time of Korra wasn't as OP as the one used on TLA. They probably taught a nerfed down version of lightning bending.
The only situation we see Mako's lightning kill someone was when he used it against Ming Hua, and that was because she was surrounded by water. Other than that, Mako's lightning doesn't seem to be more powerful than a tazer.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Toph was putting in work since she joined the squad. Each time the show would display the crazy feats she was capable of by taking on huge waves of people.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Toph is so broken they had to write around her abilities in The Last Airbender as to not end every conflict instantly and in The Legend of Korra they just gave up on writing around her broken abilities all together and just had her go home because she couldn't be bothered at the climax of the series. Shit she could go toe to toe with Aang no problem.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
None of this stuff makes sense at the broken level because everyone is a glass cannon. The answer to who wins is whoever hits first

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
How is this a question
It's Toph especially when she discovers Metal bending

She was still owning fire benders even with the meteor

The only reason she wasn't in more of Korra seasons is because Toph could solve the plot and it's actually acknowledged in universe that Toph didn't want to solve the plot

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Toph by far.

Though I definitely disagree with those ranking Katara above Zuko. She needs blood bending for that, which is once a month.

As for water beating fire, it doesn't really work that way in the avatar world. And Zuko can easily melt his way out of her ice.

Skill wise they're probably even after Zuko learned from the dragons. Speed and strength wise Zuko is wayyy ahead, on account of reacting to lightning twice and being strong enough to break iron chains with just one kick.

Even in their old forms, Zuko helped take down the Red Lotus and has a friggin dragon. No contest against Katara.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
i like aang's chances against her lmao, he as the superior avatar state to boot
Nah. Korra was a prodigy bender and basically the best at bending elements in fight contexts. Hence why all her storylines involve her facing situations & enemies that she couldn't just punch into defeat. Korra is intentionally Aang's opposite and therefore sucks at the skills that came naturally to Aang (air bending, spiritual connections, pacifism, convincing others to come to a cooperative solution, etc). Aang wasn't nearly as talented with bending as Korra is and would lose a 1v1 fight (or more likely never engage in the fight as he would look for a peaceful solution instead)

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
It depends.

A pissed off Katara during a full moon (so she can use bloodbending) is one of the most fearsome characters in the show. Even without a full moon, Katara went toe-to-toe with Azula and then took out a mob of Dai Li in the season 2 finale. She's the most potent waterbender in ATLA and shows great situational awareness during fights (like how she beats Azula in the final agni kai).

Most of the time though? You gotta go with Toph. Unlike the other protagonists, Toph is introduced as a master bender - probably the most powerful earthbender in the world aside from Bumi - from the get-go. She's not only a powerful bender, she's unorthodox and creative - literally inventing metalbending on the spot to get out of a jam. Toph was basically a one girl army, and wiped the floor with most of the opponents she faced. She's incredible.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Like, it's Toph, but I feel like some people are underselling how skilled and strong Katara is without the moon. Like she cracked an iceberg throwing a tantrum at Sokka in episode 1. She took on Azula in multiple encounters, including Sozin's Comet as Zuko's second.

Zuko is the weakest though. Iroh teaches him in a very basic, supportive and fundamental way, emphasizing form and defense over power and aggression. He learns from the Sun Warriors. In fact Zuko is much like Aang and Katara in that he doesn't want to fight, he's just very angry.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Nah. Korra was a prodigy bender and basically the best at bending elements in fight contexts. Hence why all her storylines involve her facing situations & enemies that she couldn't just punch into defeat. Korra is intentionally Aang's opposite and therefore sucks at the skills that came naturally to Aang (air bending, spiritual connections, pacifism, convincing others to come to a cooperative solution, etc). Aang wasn't nearly as talented with bending as Korra is and would lose a 1v1 fight (or more likely never engage in the fight as he would look for a peaceful solution instead)
Yeah but Korra wasn't the best at bending anything.

Aang actually was actually a top tier air bender since to even be considered a master Air bender you have to come up with a technique noone else had managed to. That's not the case with any other bending style and it's something Korra herself didn't manage.

I don't think we even see anyone else pull off the air scooter.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, Korra was so good because she was born into a world of peace and raised under the protection of the White Lotus and the full support of all the nations that enabled her to flourish. She was born into privilege. Still didn't mean shit when she lost her bending in the first season. Worst Avatar ever.

Oct 27, 2017
Here is Azula using lightning.
cNORopI.gif

Here's Mako.
FcHOWUf.gif

Anyone from Aang's time gets fried before they even know what's happening.

But, again, Mako himself is just an average bender during his own era and gets owned by everyone. It's just that 70 years is a long time.

And here's a demonstration of Azula using lightning just as fast as that:

(Starts around 2:20 if the timestamp doesn't work)

In the gif you posted Zuko invites her to shoot lightning at him, so she makes a big dramatic show of it. And it's dramatic for the audience too, as it's basically the second most important fight of the whole series. She can shoot lightning much faster than that if she needs to.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And here's a demonstration of Azula using lightning just as fast as that:

(Starts around 2:20 if the timestamp doesn't work)

In the gif you posted Zuko invites her to shoot lightning at him, so she makes a big dramatic show of it. And it's dramatic for the audience too, as it's basically the second most important fight of the whole series. She can shoot lightning much faster than that if she needs to.

A great example of both Azula being awesome and that lightning is way more hyped than it is effective in practice.

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, Korra was so good because she was born into a world of peace and raised under the protection of the White Lotus and the full support of all the nations that enabled her to flourish. She was born into privilege. Still didn't mean shit when she lost her bending in the first season. Worst Avatar ever.
Lol I don't know why but the way you phrased this makes you sound so angry. Like you were a character from the show that had personal beef with her.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but Korra wasn't the best at bending anything.

Aang actually was actually a top tier air bender since to even be considered a master Air bender you have to come up with a technique noone else had managed to. That's not the case with any other bending style and it's something Korra herself didn't manage.

I don't think we even see anyone else pull off the air scooter.
They did air scooter races in the beginning of Book 2 of The Legend of Korra. Actually I think Tenzin's kids use the air scooter multiple times.