• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most powerful bender

• Zuko

Votes: 56 6.3%
  • Katara

Votes: 161 18.1%
  • Toph

Votes: 672 75.6%

• Total voters

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hey remember that time Toph just casually obliterated four Firebenders during Sozin's Comet in the space of 30 seconds?

latest

5675290-5804496209-giphy.gif

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Zuko is a bad ass by the end of the series and has the edge on Azula. He's not quite at Iroh or Ozai level though.

Katara starts book 3 as damn near equal to Pakku, and is likely the best water bender in the world around Sozins Comet. She is capable of once a month cloudless night bloodbending, so in a hypothetical fight she could hold her own for a bit, but...

When Toph is introduced, it is clear that the only earthbender who could challenge her is Bumi. By the time she invents metal bending, it's a fucking wrap.

Outside of fully realized Avatars, freak show anytime blood benders, airbenders like Zaheer who say lolno to gravity and have no issue killing people, and *maybe* Iroh/Ozai during the comet, Toph waxes everyone. She is laughably broken.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I would not be surprised if in the writer's room they joked about how Sozin's Comet would just be like bounced away from Earth by Toph just cause she could.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Zuko is a bad ass by the end of the series and has the edge on Azula. He's not quite at Iroh or Ozai level though.

Azula was not really herself in that fight tho.

Out of the main "child/teen" characters, without any external help like moon or comets, I'd say Aang (airbending only), Toph and Azula are more or less equal, than Katara, than Zuko.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Toph is so broken that old Toph just taught herself swamp bending and turned it into an ability to check in on her family from across the globe. Toph is basically final villain broken.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I figured there was water. The North Pole is like a giant glacier no?
The Avatarverse North Pole region is a continent covered with ice, like the real world Antarctica. But the North Pole Water Bender city seems to be mostly sea ice on the coast, so I don't think there would be ground under there.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Poll going the way I expected. Toph was always overpowered to shit, she saved the gang so many times. And she literally turned into Iron Man at one point in the finale. No contest.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I think Toph or Bumi could beat Ozai during Sozin's Comet just based on what we've seen from them in the original series.

Earthbending is hilariously broken. What is Ozai gonna due against someone who can just twitch their face and bury the Fire Lord up to his top knot?
I also think these two could have beaten Ozai during the comet. I forgot how ridiculously powerful Bumi was.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Toph is so super broken that the writer had to write around her abilities rather than having someone besting her.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Honestly, I think Toph or Bumi could beat Ozai during Sozin's Comet just based on what we've seen from them in the original series.

Earthbending is hilariously broken. What is Ozai gonna due against someone who can just twitch their face and bury the Fire Lord up to his top knot?

Ozai being able to fly during the Comet I think makes that problematic. It'd be a close fight but his mobility and range of attack would be tough to overcome.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get all these posts saying Toph was ridiculously overpowered or how the writers had to write around her. Like what are you guys smoking? Aang effortlessly beat her just using his air bending in like the first episode she was in.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I don't get all these posts saying Toph was ridiculously overpowered or how the writers had to write around her. Like what are you guys smoking. Aang effortlessly beat her just using his air bending in like the first episode she was in.

As far as she was aware in that moment, Airbenders had been dead for a century. She only learned that wasn't the case through surprise. Also that Aang was the Avatar. Most foes don't switch elements on you. It's not really a fair fight at that point. She got hit by something she had no earthly way of expecting and was instantly ringed out before she could adapt.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

Out of the main "child/teen" characters, without any external help like moon or comets, I'd say Aang (airbending only), Toph and Azula are more or less equal, than Katara, than Zuko.
I don't think regular Azula was ever going to beat Zuko in the Agni Kai. She's definitely the better bender but Iroh's calm & collected lightning redirection was a hard counter to anything Azula could do (probably why Iroh taught it to Zuko in the first place). Zuko could've kept up the stalemate for hours until Azula snapped.

A more mentally stable Azula would've beaten Katara though
I don't get all these posts saying Toph was ridiculously overpowered or how the writers had to write around her. Like what are you guys smoking? Aang effortlessly beat her just using his air bending in like the first episode she was in.
That's just because airbending is even more broken. If every airbender had Zaheer's morality, they would instantly beat every non-airbender in a fight

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get all these posts saying Toph was ridiculously overpowered or how the writers had to write around her. Like what are you guys smoking?
one example: toph tremorsense prevent her and the team to be ambushed and it has an incredible area of effect, her feet had to suffer serious damage to making believable for the gaang to be ambushed by combustion man.

Last edited:

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Toph could lock your arms and legs in rock or steel in like 1 second before you have the chance to do anything. Sooo unless you're fighting IN water, Toph wins every time.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019

You're right that she had lost her mind at that point. However, after Zuko learned dragon/Sun Warrior fire bending, his next encounter with her was at the Western Air Temple, and he definitely stood toe to toe/closed the gap with her there and at the Boiling Rock as well.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think regular Azula was ever going to beat Zuko in the Agni Kai. She's definitely the better bender but Iroh's calm & collected lightning redirection was a hard counter to anything Azula could do (probably why Iroh taught it to Zuko in the first place). Zuko could've kept up the stalemate for hours until Azula snapped.

A more mentally stable Azula would've beaten Katara though
The only reason Zuko fought her alone was because he saw that she'd lost her damn mind. He brought Katara along because he didn't think he could take her alone.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
don't think regular Azula was ever going to beat Zuko in the Agni Kai. She's definitely the better bender but Iroh's calm & collected lightning redirection was a hard counter to anything Azula could do (probably why Iroh taught it to Zuko in the first place). Zuko could've kept up the stalemate for hours until Azula snapped.

Nah Zuko himself said he only did the Agni Kai because he could tell she felt off, that he could take her this time

Not to mention he brought Katara in the first place to help him beat her before seeing she was crazy

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Yeah Azula was handicapped in that Agni Kai fight, she had already lost it and wasn't at 100% despite the comet. If she had been on her A game Zuko would've lost

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Standards changed in the 70-year interim. Mako, for example, isn't particularly special during his time but would be able to easily beat anyone on Aang's old team with his instant lightning.

Nobody on Korra Team Avatar could take on their respective elemental bender from Aang Team Avatar.

Cire

Nov 7, 2017
Toph's blindness is her main weakness but only airbenders are capable of exploiting it. Azula can't stay airborne forever and Toph can easily block the water (I assume Toph would not be stupid enough to fight a waterbender on a boat).

Old Toph probably retired once planes got invented
If Azula or another top tier firebender propelled themselves in the air and shot a fireball at Toph how would Toph know how or where to dodge? If a waterbender just turned the battlefield to mud Toph would also be put at a disadvantage.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how what happened with Toph (The writers constantly writing around her because she breaks the story) also blatantly happened with Bumi. Dude is so strong they had to have him voluntarily keep himself locked up for half the series.

If Azula or another top tier firebender propelled themselves in the air and shot a fireball at Toph how would Toph know how or where to dodge? If a waterbender just turned the battlefield to mud Toph would also be put at a disadvantage.
We see Toph react to people jumping and launching off the ground all the time though. It's a weakness, not an insta-win button.

If Azula could actually handily beat Toph, I feel the writers wouldn't have been constantly sidelining Toph during the scenarios where Team Avatar fights Azula. The one exception, Day of the Black Sun, was also the one where Azula had bodyguards who basically were only there for Toph, and so Toph was sidelined fighting them while everyone else tried and failed to catch Azula until Toph just stuck her in a wall.

Last edited:

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
didn't katara do pretty well in a mock fight vs toph, her blindness is exploitable by both aang and katara, I'd still give Toph the edge vs Katara tho.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason Zuko fought her alone was because he saw that she'd lost her damn mind. He brought Katara along because he didn't think he could take her alone.
Nah Zuko himself said he only did the Agni Kai because he could tell she felt off, that he could take her this time

Not to mention he brought Katara in the first place to help him beat her before seeing she was crazy
Oh I know. I just feel that Zuko could've stalemated Azula per the rules of the Agni Kai. Of course, Azula would inevitably cheat or lose her composure, in which Zuko would 100% need Katara to survive.

Toph could feel the bender leaving the ground and predict where the attack is coming from or surround herself in an earth barrier. There's no need to dodge if you can shield.

And Toph can bend mud

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody on Korra Team Avatar could take on their respective elemental bender from Aang Team Avatar.
Here is Azula using lightning.
cNORopI.gif

Here's Mako.
FcHOWUf.gif

Anyone from Aang's time gets fried before they even know what's happening.

But, again, Mako himself is just an average bender during his own era and gets owned by everyone. It's just that 70 years is a long time.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
cNORopI.gif

Here's Mako.
FcHOWUf.gif

But, again, Mako himself is just an average bender during his own era and gets owned by everyone. It's just that 70 years is a long time.

So your whole argument comes down to Mako can perform lightning faster? How many times has lightning done major damage to anyone in either series?

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Easily Toph

Her abilities are near Avatar levels, plus she literally was able to metalbend minute amounts of mercury from Korra

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
cNORopI.gif

Here's Mako.
FcHOWUf.gif

Yeah, but electricity in the Korra series was also apparently not as lethal? It's weird: in TLA lightning was coded as "this will fucking kill you" (while regular fireballs were generally shrugged off or blocked as though they were primarily concussive damage). But in Korra, especially with the lightning gauntlets but even with lightning bending IIRC, electricity was generally used more as a tasing than as lethal electrocution.

Except that one time when Mako just nuked the bajeezus out of what's-her-name. But I'm pretty sure that took more than the little pew-pew you've got in this gif right here.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It killed Aang and Ming-Hua. So pretty major damage.

Aang was completely stationary in the air when Azula shot him in the back. Coincidentally, Azula is one of the most nimble fighters throughout the series. Azula wouldn't get touched by Mako's lightning at all.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Katara's being underrated here. She straight-up started beating Azula in a fight during the S2 finale, something even Aang had struggled with. Besting her in the S3 finale when she was powered up by the comet's also impressive despite her sanity slippage.

...It's still Toph, of course. You have to very specifically counter her (airbending like Aang or having your own mastery over earth like Bumi) or she's just overwhelming.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
it's close between toph and katara
zuko is kinda underrated , he's great by the third season and has those awesome espionage and sword skills ( aka blue spirit )