• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my pick from every singe player FF from PS1 and later:

FFVII: Yuffie
FFVIII: Irvine
FFIX: Amarant x 100000
FFX: Kimahri
FFXII: Penelo
FFXIII: Hope
FFXV: There are only 4 playable characters, but if I had to pick one it's Gladiolus.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
It's Quina. She could be skipped entirely on Disc 1 and most of her backstory was explained in a tedious frog catching sidequest that most people avoided. Her only real impact on the story was to accidentally find that tunnel to the northern continent and never even really forged bonds with other characters as she admitted she was only on the journey to find new things to eat.

Amarant is a character with a reputation in the in-game world before you even meet him (wanted in Treno), has a backstory connecting him to the other characters (framed by Zidane), enters the plot in an actual meaningful way (hired as bounty hunter by Queen Brahne) and forms a bond with Freya across their journey. I'm surprised to see him mentioned here.

You can tell me how important Amarant is in the sotry in a hundred different ways is, but nobody really sees it becuse he has the charisma of a wooden plank, he is presented too late and he never has meningful or interesting interactions witht he rest of the cast (the frreya bond you are talking about is laughable) and his design sticks with the rest of the game like a sore thumb.

Meanwhile Quina is a joke character and has a ton of ATE that while not important are fun and makes her part of the rest of the cast. She also has a design that blends well with the rest of the game while being stupid in a good way which makes it memorable.

Beatrix should have joined instead of Amarant by that time in the game.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
The Rat looking character from IX. Did she have a hat on? I don't remember much about her lol.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the 50 or so monsters from FF XIII-2.

If you mean main protagonists, I can't name any of XV's except Noctis because their latin names blur together. I can even name guest characters like Ward, Blank, Marcus, Reks, Cinna and Reddas. and This thread reminded me of Prompto's name, but can't name the other two, just big bro guy and British guy who isn't as cool as Balthier.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Is it Kimhari from FFX? Is it that literally who guy with red hair from FFIX? I don't know who else is in the running besides these two honestly
0pGGQQ2.png

Holy shit! Khimari was my first thought! Him, yeah.

Oct 27, 2017
While she herself wasn't forgettable most people forget that Edea was a guest character for a time. I haven't seen her mentioned elsewhere in this thread at least.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Kimahri is the answer, he hardly talks has no personality and doesn't even have his own sphere grid

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
It's Amarant from 9 without a doubt. I'm replaying 9 right now and I keep forgetting he is even in my party. Having said that I could name every party member from every Final Fantasy except 3, but Amarant overall is by far the most forgettable.

It will piss me off forever that he probably took Beatrix's spot in the roster. Fuck him.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
FFVII: the girl with the throwing thing, the gut in the coffin, the pilot
FFVIII: laguna's other friend; the other girl on the team, not quistis
FFIX: the guy with red hair, the littile girl
FFX: rikku maybe?
FFXII: vaan's girl friend
FFXIII: i just know snow, lightning and saz.
FFXV: there's only 4 of them, so they're all pretty memorable

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanna add Lulu from FFX due to the fact that her development was incredibly minor comapred to everyone else.
even less than Kimhari?
FFVII: the girl with the throwing thing, the gut in the coffin, the pilot
FFVIII: laguna's other friend; the other girl on the team, not quistis
FFIX: the guy with red hair, the littile girl
FFX: rikku maybe?
FFXII: vaan's girl friend
FFXIII: i just know snow, lightning and saz.
FFXV: there's only 4 of them, so they're all pretty memorable
When people make lists with names fully spelled out correctly I wonder (how forgettable are they if you remember their name?)

This is the post of someone who forgot who these characters were.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's totally Armarent. (Is that even how you spell his name?) I love IX but that dude was lame.

Wish I could forget VIII's cast though. They were bad. Actually I kind of did forget about Irvine until Opera Omnia.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can anyone forget Noctis, Ignis, Gladio and Blondie?
The absence of the FF13 cast here is ironic.
I like Sazh at least
FF1: N/A

FF2: Josef

FF3: N/A

FF4: FuSoYa

FF5: N/A

FF6: Umaro or Gogo

FF7: Cait Sith

FF8: Irvine

FF9: Amarant

FF10: Tidus (lol) - serious answer at least for me is Payne

FF12: Penelo

FF13: Fang

FF15: out of the bros, I would say Prompto.
That's his name!

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
Of all the characters it has to be Rhiona in VIII for me.

She is an integral part of the story let's be honest but as a party member she is always forgotten by me. I always level up and prefer the rest but she is left to rot.

I only level her up after I realise everyone else is like 50 levels in front of her.

In all the other FFs I've played I've enjoyed the characters and what they bring to the table but she is rubbish and is only leveled up because I have to.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of, not joking, the entire cast of FFXV, I'd most say Panelo.

But she's almost memorable because of how disconnected she is from everything. So she stands out in a way.

XV is like... food guy, Gladiolus, and uh... scrawny dude. So maybe that one?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say Amarant is actually notable and not forgettable, simply by virtue of being the most infamous of all these forgettable characters.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna add Lulu from FFX due to the fact that her development was incredibly minor comapred to everyone else.

I'm playing now and disagree. Not all characters need development. Some will have already gone through most of theirs by the time of the story.

Lulu, for example, has gone through a lot. She still is near the beginning of the game when Tidus appears (partly because of his appearance, and Wakka's reaction to it), hence her icy demeanor. But because she's introverted and more mature than Wakka, her growth is comparatively subtle.

Character development doesn't equate to good characterization. Wakka might grow more in plain sight, by virtue of overcoming his racism and zealotry, but he's a far less interesting character than Lulu — at least to me.

(Plus, let's be real, she's memorable for her... outfit... alone.)

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing now and disagree. Not all characters need development. Some will have already gone through most of theirs by the time of the story.

Lulu, for example, has gone through a lot. She still is near the beginning of the game when Tidus appears (partly because of his appearance, and Wakka's reaction to it), hence her icy demeanor. But because she's introverted and more mature than Wakka, her growth is comparatively subtle.

Character development doesn't equate to good characterization. Wakka might grow more in plain sight, by virtue of overcoming his racism and zealotry, but he's a far less interesting character than Lulu — at least to me.

(Plus, let's be real, she's memorable for her... outfit... alone.)

Seriously... nobody would forget Lulu for her outfit alone.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Quina or Amarant probably. I think Amarant probably wins in light of Quina at least having a few funny skits.

Fortunately for FFIX Zidane, Garnet, Vivi and Steiner are enough to carry the game. I like Freya too but she's back-seated quite a bit. Eiko is awful, I wish I could forget her.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Its Amarant: he serves absolutely zero purpose to the main plot, his reason for being on the team is at best a plot contrivance, he has no memorable scenes, he has no meaningful use in battle, he isnt so random or out-there that hes noticable, he has no good lines... hes the fuckin red guy in 9. I am only so familiar because when I replayed the game recently, I wanted to actually see if there was anything special about him at all... and I got nothin folks

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
It has to be someone from FF8, probably Irvine.

I think he hasn't been mentioned yet cause everyone forgot about him lol