• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
That Vanille dude or whatever from XIII. His name is basically Vanilla, like come on. Actually I'd go so far as to say the entire cast of XIII are pretty forgettable.

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably someone from FFVIII for me. I really didn't like the cast in that game and I can't remember most of their names. What about the cowboy guy or the blonde lady with glasses.

Edit - however, I haven't played any past XII.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
???

I agree they could've done more with Freya, but she was crucial to the Lindblum - Burmecia - Cleyra - Alexandria arc, and had a fairly poignant personal story.
/shrug
I still remember a lot of his backstory, some of the times you encounter him before he joins the party, his attacks... I don't remember anything about Freya from the game other than her race is a race of ratpeople and she's a Dragoon so her attacks involve leaping with lances and stuff.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Zell and Selphie's role in the game is help with Squall's development as a character and leader, which is kind of the whole point of VIII, but my point is more that characters don't need to be involved with the major story points for me to find them interesting

But Squall never developed in consequence of Zell's and Selphie's actions. Rinoa pretty much had this function alone, atleast between the playable cast.

I guess they can be interesting design-wise. I kinda dig Zell's tatoo tbh

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
FFXV-Party.jpg

So easy.

Edit: My serious answer is....

images

This dude from IX.
Hold up...aww man yeah, it's him.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Kimahri becomes phantom lancer so it can't be him

FF8's cast is not coming to mind at all. I think that entire game is just forgettable

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
The closest thing I can think of to an objectively correct answer here would be one of the more useless monster party members you can recruit in FF X-2 or XIII-2.

I nominate Yellow Elemental from X-2, which you can only catch early in the story. He's a shittier version of Gold Elemental (aka the one found on the Thunder Plains; aka the one you thought I was talking about), and he's one of the few fiends who doesn't have a Fiend Tale nor is part of a quest to unlock the Aeons or the Demon Cup. He basically just exists to fill a bestiary slot, and that's the most remarkable thing about him.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Has to be.

And lol at that FFXV post. there are only 4 characters. You can't forget them no matter how much you dislike the game.

I would wager the majority of the FF fanbase dont know shit about FFXV cast beyond what they look like.

Mainly because ,with the exception of Ignis at one point,nothing actually happens to them in the game and their background is not shown or discussed even during the game.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's Amarant.

I still don't fucking know what his face is meant to look like. Also he comes fairly late in FFIX and once he joins it's around the part where you freely choose your party so he doesn't get much scenes.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The worst thing about Amarant is you're stuck using shit weapons with him for the rest of the game if you want to actually learn his skills

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I would say Amarant from IX. Quina at least is such a ridiculous character that she stands out but Amarant is just there and completely removable from the game.

I actually think IX goes from having a strong cast to basically pretending none of them exist aside from Zidane and Vivi in the last half of the game. Even Garnet they just straight up silence at one point. What they did to Freya was tragic and Beatrix not becoming playable disappointed me greatly.
I don't even understand how anyone could actually say either is forgettable lol. I understand if people think they are poorly written or have annoying personalities but both characters are quite memorable in design alone. I do get this question is more of a personal thing for many especially when it comes down to what game you like or dislike but it just seems odd to seriously list Zell or Selphie when I would argue if anyone deserved being listed from VIII it would be Irvine.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
People will probably remember Zell because of a cheesy presentation CG and Selphie because she's moe bait.

As actual characters, they had 0 relevance to the plot.

Zell has a fantastic arc. Comic relief to the cause of the Timber mission going wrong before turning it around into a self assured leadership roll, effectively taking over from Quistis.

Quistis, on the other hand, goofs the assassination mission but seems almost relieved to fade into the background after that.

She's all over World Of Final Fantasy though as part of the League Of S.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
FFIX is incredible but Amarant is a sore spot into an otherwise great cast of party members.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Kimahri, Amarant, Cait Sith, Sniper that is afraid to shoot in that fucing abomination called FF VIII are all good choices.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Most of the characters in Viii, I think some NPCs have more character and role in the story than Irvine and the girl who likes trains.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Cait Sith seems more like "an ff7 member if I had to pick one" but I don't think he's forgettable at all.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If we go by metric of fan art I bet Kimahri has like...the most of any FF character.

But I bet you you can't find a single person who jerks it to Amarant.

LogN-

Oct 30, 2017
Most of the cast from VIII and IX, and then Vaan and Panello, who weren't even supposed to be in the game lol.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, her scenes are solid and have good humor (which is rare in jRPG). She also has a pretty distinctive design.
Not only that, they contrasts the story really well in a unique way. Most people in FF9 arc's was about mortality and finding meaning to live while Quina was straight up about just about having a good time anyway they can. I smiled at every scene Quina stared in.
Okay apparently Amarant x Freya is a big thing. Did they ever talk once?
It's very late in the game but they do develop mutual respect for each other. I kinda wish we saw more tbh cause the two as characters worked well together.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
It's Amarant. IX is my favorite Final Fantasy and I constantly forget about him when talking about the game.

I would say Amarant from IX. Quina at least is such a ridiculous character that she stands out but Amarant is just there and completely removable from the game.

I actually think IX goes from having a strong cast to basically pretending none of them exist aside from Zidane and Vivi in the last half of the game. Even Garnet they just straight up silence at one point. What they did to Freya was tragic and Beatrix not becoming playable disappointed me greatly.

I will never stop wondering why they had Amarant join the party and not Beatrix. Someone who's basically a non-entity in the game versus someone relevant to the plot, with connections to several of the other party members, has character development, and is
PLAYABLE at one point. For fuck's sake, Square!

And yeah, the game neglecting most of its cast its latter portion... Freya was my second favorite after Vivi. Seeing her plot fizzle out halfway through the game was a letdown.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Quina is fucking great, even when optional she comments on a bunch of cutscenes with the other characters saying fun stuff.
I also surprised at people saying Freya when she has a great arc with the Burmecia and Cleyra. Also has great interactions with the rest of the party, and is a moral compass to Yitan.

Amarant is shit and it should have been Beatrix the one joining the party. Is baffling that never really happened and would have been more awesome to have her at the end for all the interactions of Steiner.
Fuck Amarant

Okay apparently Amarant x Freya is a big thing. Did they ever talk once?
People are idiots it seems. Shipping was a mistake.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Zell has a fantastic arc. Comic relief to the cause of the Timber mission going wrong before turning it around into a self assured leadership roll, effectively taking over from Quistis.

Quistis, on the other hand, goofs the assassination mission but seems almost relieved to fade into the background after that.

She's all over World Of Final Fantasy though as part of the League Of S.
I think Zell and Selphie both have interesting development throughout VIII though Zell definitely doesn't have the same kind of focus that Selphie receives. Selphie is blatantly putting on a personality to make people like her and hide her deeper feelings. When Trabia is targetted by the missiles and eventually we learn of the aftermath, Selphie is struggling with feeling responsible for what happened(the entire concert was for both Squall and Selphie since Selphie always wanted to be in a band) and comes out of it willing continue fighting against Edea knowing her past connection.

Zell has an entire point in the first disc of taking everything personally and not knowing when to cool down which leads to the reveal of Gardens being responsible for the kidnapping. He is feeling guilty and keeps failing at proving he can be a good leader under pressure. The first time we get to see some responsiblity from Zell is in the prison where he is in charge of getting the weapons back. The second time is when Balamb is being controlled by the Galbadian army but again Squall is still present. The third time is in the garden battle where he loses Rinoa and panics forcing Squall to step in. The final part is Lunatic Pandora and becoming Edeas body guard. He doesn't fail because of his lack of control or emotional outbursts and is successful up until the security forces them out. By the end of the game you have things showing that Zell is incredibly knowledgeable and what prevents people from understanding that is the way he presents himself.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its weird the US box-art put Amarant on the cover when he doesn't join forever.

Fuck I wanna play FFIX right now but the port sucks.