• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who would fare better in an identical outbreak scenario?

• Leon S. Kennedy.

Votes: 174 51.6%
  • Jill Valentine.

Votes: 163 48.4%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Hello all. I was waiting for the announcement of RE3 to make this thread.

I previously made threads asking which of the two major male protagonists were more capable, and then did the same for the two major female protagonists.

Leon won his thread, beating Chris.

Jill won her thread, beating Claire.

So now I ask you, for the final matchup...

If you put them both in the exact same situation, say, an escape room with zombies/ganados/majini/whatever in the way, who would handle it better and why?

Like both previous matchups, the two of them have different skillsets, training, strengths and weaknesses.

fc8b27f6c8102afdb9da962a22bcd5bc.jpg

Leon:

-A secret agent more suited for infiltration, extraction, witness protection, etc.
-Trained in martial arts, to a degree
-Will put aside mission directives if he deems it necessary, or if he sees a girl he likes.
-Has training as a police officer.

4Pj144s.jpg

Jill:

-More military oriented, suited for direct combat against BOWs. (Exact same training as Chris).
-Excels at infiltration and tactical maneuvering - is adept at picking locks, carrying a variety of items, and strategically avoiding enemies.
-Will focus on her mission above all else.
-Out of all of the characters in the series, she has particularly strong teamwork, working well with a variety of different people with different personalities and skillsets, and will assist her partner to the best of her ability.

So, say you drop both of them in the middle of an infected city. They both have to:

ELbroLBXUAAYqTU

resident_evil_2_demo_capcom.jpeg

-Get out alive
-Protect any civilians they may find
-Eliminate or avoid any threats they encounter
-Defeat the "boss" monster, the biggest B.O.W.

Both of them can do it, but which can do it better? Why do you think so? Try to take into account different variables, like taking alternate routes, deductive reasoning skills, protecting civilians, etc.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Hmmm... Good breakdown of their traits.

But it's hard not to pick Jill, who by the time of RE3, has seen with and dealt with a lot more than baby Leon.

Oct 27, 2017
I think this topic probably needs to wait until after we've all played Resi R3make next year. Then we'll have a better idea of Jill's updated accomplishments.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Post-RE4 Leon is John Wick on at least two additional performance enhancers.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Depends, are we talking about RE2 Leon vs RE3 Jill?
If so then Jill wins, she is S.T.A.R.S. and Leon is a rookie.

But if we're talking about post RE4 Loen then he is more capable, period.

Jul 24, 2018
Jill is more of a grounded protagonist compared to anime martial arts man Leon Kennedy, is what I would say until Nina Williams Jill showed up in RE5. I'd still say Jill cause she beat Nemesis.

Oct 28, 2017
Jill couldn't figure out that leaving the city run by umbrella was a good idea in between the events of RE1 and RE2.
Also she got mind controlled by Wesker which was dumb. My money is on Leon.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
They are both very capable. Jill was initially more so due to her training (Leon was just a rookie cop), but Leon has seen some shit since then, and it seems like he's also been portrayed in more media as the badass, especially after he had his special training. The only time I could see Jill doing better was when she was in her battle suit. But she was basically superhuman at that point.

Post-RE4 Leon is John Wick on at least two additional performance enhancers.

Pretty much.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
answer depends on when we're talking

first day on the job cop Leon obviously loses to Jill from any game, whether it's RE1, RE3, or RE5

has jill ever done anything like Leon did in RE4?

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
answer depends on when we're talking

first day on the job cop Leon obviously loses to Jill from any game, whether it's RE1, RE3, or RE5

has jill ever done anything like Leon did in RE4?
Yes

giphy.gif

c26136626f2b1cd7a772dfda7d5a08c8.gif

Even before she got juiced by being experimented on I think it's safe to say she had improved since appearing in RE3, or even Revelations.

Personally, I think whether you compare their "classic" appearances or their "modern" appearances, it's still an equally fair comparison, because both of them become John Wick-lite, as many have said. But they still have their own unique traits.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Jill Valentine is like... the only woman to ever be a member of Delta Force.
She is an insane badass of the highest order on her own.

It's a bit unfair because Leon has had several more games where he magically was given more general power and skills hee didn't have when initially established. while Jill was neglected during that time.

I give it to Jill

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Jill in 1/3/Revelations is definitely more capable than Leon in 2, but post-RE4, Jill doesn't look as dangerous as 4/6/Movies Leon in my opinion. It does feel weighted towards Leon as he's had a lot more appearances and in crazier media of course.

Only thing is we have RE5 Jill. I have no idea if she's some kind of Wesker-lite now or not. If she is, I guess it'll be her.