• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who would fare better in an identical outbreak scenario?

• Chris Redfield.

Votes: 268 42.1%
  • Leon S. Kennedy.

Votes: 368 57.9%

• Total voters

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like luck has taken part in Leon making it alive many times and i feel that's part of his charm and character, while Chris accomplishes missions and tough tasks through sheer determination and strength

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
OK, so Leon gets docked for opening a door that just happened to have a monster behind it, even if they (or any of the other people in the room) couldn't have known it would be there. Fine.

On the flip side, Chris sent his entire platoon into a maze-like building to do battle with a giant, carnivorous and invisible snake that had already swallowed one of his team members. Given Chris' experience against the Yawn in the Spencer Mansion, he should have known that the first soldier was already dead. But he was so emotionally out of it that it didn't matter to him.

OK then.
Opening up a locked shelter full of refugees and it leading to everyone there dying is the same thing as your platoon, who's sole purpose for being there is fighting POWs, dying while fighting a POW. Totally the same thing.

Last edited:

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
The whole point of this thread was to bring up the battered boulder. And I'm okay with that.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Yea, opening up a locked shelter full of refugees and it leading to everyone there dying is the same thing as your platoon, who's sole purpose for being there is fighting POWs, dying while fighting a POW. Totally the same thing.

BOW, not POW.

The difference between Leon and Chris' scenarios is a matter of bad luck for Leon and bad judgment for Chris.

Leon didn't get those civilians killed through negligence, lack of leadership, or emotionalism. He was trying to get to his next destination. Moreover, if he DIDN'T open the door, they all would have been nuked later on anyway. It's a terrible example of why Leon specifically did something terrible to endanger others. His actions in Vendetta are better examples.

Meanwhile, Chris deviated from his goals and went on a suicidal mission. He ignored Piers and chose to keep going against a BOW, and ended up losing almost everyone else after that. That's bad judgment and different from Leon's situation.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I can give Leon a pass for his Ada obsession in RE6; ya'll would be confused as fuck too if someone assumed the identity of your girl and even got plastic surgery/virus fuckery to look and sound exactly like her, and then she starts unleashing bioweapons everywhere. And also stopped wearing her favorite color too.

And it pays off because Real Ada eventually swoops in and reminds everyone that Leon is her man

Also, I know people are bringing up Wesker a lot but consider this;

Chris killed Wesker only to eventually get bodied by an arms dealer twice to squeak out a fluke win, and then almost gets killed by the dealer's tyrant form. Then comes in Leon on a motorcycle and proceeds to solo the tyrant.

Yeah, Leon's got this.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Leon, Chris is a drunkard who endangers his men with the rashness of his actions, as we see in RE6.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I had a dream once where Claire suplexed a boulder.
Therefore, she is the superior RE protagonist. It's science.

Sheva can also suplex boulders but only after watching gifs of Leon reloading in RE4 for about 5 minutes.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
Probably Chris, that anomaly bullshit Boulder feat while an anomaly and bullshit is still a feat.

Leon is way cooler though.

VacantFatherlyKronosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Leon didn't get those civilians killed through negligence, lack of leadership, or emotionalism. He was trying to get to his next destination. Moreover, if he DIDN'T open the door, they all would have been nuked later on anyway. It's a terrible example of why Leon specifically did something terrible to endanger others. His actions in Vendetta are better examples.
I'd say it's a bit of negligence but mostly dumbassness. He did know it was hell everywhere in the city, he knew there are zombies already in the building outside the main hall as you do fight some before opening the big door, and he still did it.

And those were civilians he put in danger(and killed), with Chris, his main fault is over estimating how good those supposedly trained professionals are, he's just so far ahead and no one can keep up is his main problem.

To answer the OP directly:
-Get out alive Chris since there's no mention if Leon can have Ada babysitting him
-Protect any civilians they may find This is a hard one, they both suck at this, and while Leon did end up saving one civilian girl one time, he's also directly responsible for way more civilians deaths... But then again Chris saved humanity as a whole, twice
-Eliminate or avoid any threats they encounter Chris obviously for eliminate, Leon for avoid
-Defeat the "boss" monster, the biggest B.O.W. Again Chris since there's no mention if Leon can have Ada babysitting him

I'm not even anywhere near a Chris fan, just looking at this logically. :)
A girl trained by Chris during her high school years just came out way more competent than Leon after police training. but you're obviously too invested in Leon's fandom to see the light.

Last edited:

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
The mentions of Chris being good simply because he trained Claire is laughable. There are countless students who are much better than their teachers. I'd rather say that Claire herself is gifted and Chris only accelerated her growth.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I'd say it's a bit of negligence but mostly dumbassness. He did know it was hell everywhere in the city, he knew there are zombies already in the building outside the main hall as you do fight some before opening the big door, and he still did it.

And those were civilians he put in danger(and killed), with Chris, his main fault is over estimating how good those supposedly trained professionals are, he's just so far ahead and no one can keep up is his main problem.

Yeah, what you described with Leon is terrible luck.

Chris couldn't have overestimated his soldiers' abilities. Fighting giant invisible snakes couldn't have possibly been part of the BSAA training protocol. Chris didn't know what he was up against and went in there anyway, against the advice of his second in command. Chris went on a power trip and people died for it.

-Get out alive Chris since there's no mention if Leon can have Ada babysitting him

- Chris would have died in the Spencer Estate if Rebecca didn't save him from Plant 42.
- Chris would have been eaten by wolves in Revelations if Jessica didn't back him up.
- Chris would have been impaled by Wesker if it weren't for Jill jumping in to save him.
- Chris would never have beaten Wesker by himself in Kijuju. Sheva played an equal role.
- Chris would have died in RE6 if Piers didn't interfere. This happens at least 3 times during the game, including the ending.
- Chris would have been squeezed to death by Arias in Vendetta if Leon didn't come in to save him at the last moment.

Neither Leon nor Chris could succeed entirely on their own, so it's hilarious to suggest that Chris of all characters can.

-Eliminate or avoid any threats they encounter Chris obviously

This is a tie for obvious reasons.

-Defeat the "boss" monster, the biggest B.O.W. Again Chris since there's no mention if Leon can have Ada babysitting him

I don't know; Simmons is actually much larger than Uroboros-Wesker.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
The mentions of Chris being good simply because he trained Claire is laughable. There are countless students who are much better than their teachers. I'd rather say that Claire herself is gifted and Chris only accelerated her growth.
Even looking at it this way just shows the superiority of the Redfield genes.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leon easily. Mostly to do with the fact he's the main of the best RE games made (apart for 6)

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Y
- Chris would have died in the Spencer Estate if Rebecca didn't save him from Plant 42.
- Chris would have been eaten by wolves in Revelations if Jessica didn't back him up.
- Chris would have been impaled by Wesker if it weren't for Jill jumping in to save him.
- Chris would never have beaten Wesker by himself in Kijuju. Sheva played an equal role.
- Chris would have died in RE6 if Piers didn't interfere. This happens at least 3 times during the game, including the ending.
- Chris would have been squeezed to death by Arias in Vendetta if Leon didn't come in to save him at the last moment.

Neither Leon nor Chris could succeed entirely on their own, so it's hilarious to suggest that Chris of all characters can.
Dude! Leon would have been eaten by a zombie dog if not for Ada, a regular RE zombie dog! Come on!! It's not even comparable how dependent he is on a single person being there making sure he doesn't fuck up.

Chris get help from direct partners stuck in the same situation, not someone who's main purpose in the series is watching him from afar making sure everything is fine.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Dude! Leon would have been eaten by a zombie dog if not for Ada, a regular RE zombie dog! Come on!! It's not even comparable how dependent he is on a single person being there making sure he doesn't fuck up.

Chris get help from direct partners stuck in the same situation, not someone who's main purpose in the series is watching him from afar making sure everything is fine.

Moving the goalposts, I see.

Leon's success in Operation Javier, Degeneration and Vendetta is also proof that Leon succeeds in missions even without Ada. Krauser backed him up in Operation Javier, he practically succeeded on his own in Degeneration, and Nadia saved him in Vendetta -- all three very much in the same vein as the half-dozen times Chris was saved in the series.

Also, Ada wasn't "watching Leon from afar" in RE6. She had her own issues to worry about.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Tough decision...

Chris Redfield, what we know off, had to fend for himself and Claire from a young age. He has millitary training, is able to fly a jet and by his mid twenties is a prominent member within a SWAT-like Police force. Afterwards...

- Survived the initial mansion incident. Had to fight zombies, dogs, snakes, spiders, sharks, crimson heads, Hunters, one giant snake, a giant plant monster, one creepy mutated girl, a mutant shark and the original Tyrant model. Had help from Rebecca with the plant. For a dimissed army man, impressive.

- Afterwards escapes to Europe to Investigate Umbrella and ends up at Rockfort and the Antarctic to fight off zombies, hunters, Bandersnatches, a brief Wesker encounter and oh right, a human turned bioweapon changing forms. Has some help from Claire.

- Has a side mission with Jill fighting off an Umbrella facillity in Russia.

- Partners up with Jessica for a few missions in early 2005 and afterwards a giant creepy ship. Fights off a new enemy type in regards to the Ooze. During this time his personality shifts and is laserfocused on "the mission".

- Later that year infiltrates a new Mansion with Jill to face Spencer and Wesker. With Jill dying, he becomes obsessed with Wesker, completing the mission and roids up.

- 2009, Resident Evil 5; fights off multiple new enemy types infected by Ouroboros; the Majini, bat like creatures, spider-like creatures, gators and multiple bioweapons including Ouroboros creatures. Finishes Wesker off while punching boulders.

- Resident Evil 6, apparantly one of his missions went south and turned into a drunk mess. Flies to eastern Europe and China. In regards to the latter he finally sees some action in a ground zero scenario within in an urban territory. Fights zombies, las plagas types and more.

- Resident Evil 7; he's hunting a psychopath and fighting, yet again, a new enemy, this time the Molded. Seems more collected this time around.

Leon: his early life remains a mystery, but we know he graduated the police Academy at 21 years old.

- With only the academy done and no relevant experience Leon fought of zombies, dogs, lickers, G-mutates and plant zombies. Added bonus: he fought a stalker type enemy build like a brick shithouse and faces him in his super saiyan form. Also, four different types of Birkin's G-Form. Afterwards he escaped a city infested with the virus. That ain't bad for a rookie. Had help from Ada at a few times.

Gets recruited by the government.

- Has a side mission with Jack Krauser in South America for the government.

- In 2004 he goes to Spain, on a mission to find the presidents daughter. Gets confronted by a new enemy type called Ganado's. Next you fight a lake monster, cave trolls, parasitic ganado's, a village leader who actually has a spine, something that looks like the alien, giant kicking bug monsters, Gatling gun wielding ganado's, the regenerator/Iron Maiden, a mutated ex-partner, something that only gets reffered to as "it" and oh yeah, the cult leader that turns into a monster.

During all of this he also gets infected by Las Plagas, withstands brain washing to a degree and eventually removes the parasite. Sure Ada helps out a few moments, but overall Leon gets by on his own.

- In Resident Evil 6, being an advisor to the president (more of a, frenemy?) he again needs to escape a city; traveling from university, to the underground and in the city itself and the underground. Fights quicker zombies and transforming BOW's while in a mine cart.

Afterwards he flies to China and enters another facing another outbreak scenario; fights different enemies, but also some insane guy who transforms into a t-rex, fights the guy on a train and on the Verge of falling down he fights his fly form.

Gets help from Helena and Ada though.

Tough call. Both are extremely adaptable, but I'm going with Leon on this one. Dude has done the most with less. Escaped three cities facing a BOW outbreak. Chris comes close though.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Chris Redfield is the Chris Redfield of the series.

He's the Alan Grant of the series. He's the Isaac Clarke of the series.

He's the main protagonist of the series, so he is the correct answer.

Y'all just choosing Leon cuz he's more popular.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
i'd take RE5 chris over any other RE protaganist!!! shame they debuffed him in RE6

Leon ain't doing shit without Ada helping :p

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
You're asking if power and the ability to plough through an obstacle (Chris) is better than being agile, precise, and targetted (Leon) or vice versa. Both have their pros and cons. Saying one is better than the other takes situational context out of the equation, which you can't. I think both Chris and Leon will complete the same mission in different ways.

Siinova

Oct 29, 2017
Am I reading the same OP the poster asked who would win in an outbreak scenario what does Chris' Boulder feat have to do with that?

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
One is basically the Hulk, the other is Dante without conventional superpowers.

I'd feel safe betting on either of them, really.

We need a character like Krauser back, even if it's only for mercs.

It's been said before, but...that's a thing I loathe about this series. If you didn't appear in the first two games, your relevance and/or chances of survival goes way down. Krauser was too cool, and would have worked great as a truly antagonistic foil to Leon.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love Leon and think he's way cooler but....

Leon ran away from a boulder. CHRIS PUNCHED ONE OUT OF THE WAY.

I'm sure Chris could just brute force his way out of any situation.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering Leon did RE4 almost entirely by himself for like 98% of the game and Chris did RE5 with help and also needed help and a turret gun to take down one genado while Leon took down like 4 or 5 of them speaks volumes

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Moving the goalposts, I see.

Leon's success in Operation Javier, Degeneration and Vendetta is also proof that Leon succeeds in missions even without Ada. Krauser backed him up in Operation Javier, he practically succeeded on his own in Degeneration, and Nadia saved him in Vendetta -- all three very much in the same vein as the half-dozen times Chris was saved in the series.

Also, Ada wasn't "watching Leon from afar" in RE6. She had her own issues to worry about.
He grew up a bit by RE6, certainly didn't need as much babysitting, just a little.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Leon got shit done without anyone's help in RE4.

Chris can't function on his own.