• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
200px-Lila_Cherrim_Overcast_Form.png

Also this guy.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
What is with the obsession with the fucking ninja frog?
It was done in peak XY anime popularity

The large number of legends/mythicals at the top are also because the winner of this poll got a giveaway event.

So it's not really accurate to anything other than "who was in the Anime when this was taken" and "who does Japan want released as an event Pokemon"

It's not a very good poll to use for anything.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
What is with the obsession with the fucking ninja frog?

*Ahem*
I've been playing Pokemon since red and blue. Greninja is my new fav. As a ninja fan, of all sorts of ninjas, Greninja fits the bill perfectly. His design with the tongue scarf is brilliant. It looks awesome because ninjas with scarves are dope. Shout out to Hotsuma. It also makes sense as a froggo. The color blue is my favorite. Dark Pokemon kick ass. His hidden ability protean is remarkable and so damn powerful. Glass cannon's are my jam. Speed and power for life. His shiny color is also badass. Black and red baby. Greninja is just everything I could want in a Pokemon, in regards to looks and utility. Even in doubles the Mat Block was awesome. Sorry Scyther and Scizor, you two have been dethroned.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It was done in peak XY anime popularity

The large number of legends/mythicals at the top are also because the winner of this poll got a giveaway event.

So it's not really accurate to anything other than "who was in the Anime when this was taken" and "who does Japan want released as an event Pokemon"

It's not a very good poll to use for anything.
It is, as it it is our only official data when it comes to pokemon popularity. Yes, some people will skewed towards legendaries, but that doesn't mean the rest of the data is wrong. Look at the top 100, and except for Archeops and Archen, I doubt anyone would disagree that they are popular. Also, a poll with more than half a million votes isn't something to just ignore, and forget.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
At least this has a gimmick.

Imagine being the pre-evolved version of this, without the only thing that makes it distinctive.
I still have no idea why it has a pre-evolution

There's no point. Gimmick Pokemon never get evolutions/pre-evolutions.

It is, as it it is our only official data when it comes to pokemon popularity. Yes, some people will skewed towards legendaries, but that doesn't mean the rest of the data is wrong. Look at the top 100, and except for Archeops and Archen, I doubt anyone would disagree that they are popular. Also, a poll with more than half a million votes isn't something to just ignore, and forget.
Those half a million people were voting on which event Pokemon they wanted. That's it. It's not a proper popularity poll

It's also outdated and missing an entire generation

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
*Ahem*
I've been playing Pokemon since red and blue. Greninja is my new fav. As a ninja fan, of all sorts of ninjas, Greninja fits the bill perfectly. His design with the tongue scarf is brilliant. It looks awesome because ninjas with scarves are dope. Shout out to Hotsuma. It also makes sense as a froggo. The color blue is my favorite. Dark Pokemon kick ass. His hidden ability protean is remarkable and so damn powerful. Glass cannon's are my jam. Speed and power for life. His shiny color is also badass. Black and red baby. Greninja is just everything I could want in a Pokemon, in regards to looks and utility. Even in doubles the Mat Block was awesome. Sorry Scyther and Scizor, you two have been dethroned.
What about it's other hidden ability? You know, the one that makes it weak to fire-types?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Please tell me what the Defining Design Features of Alolan Graveler is compared to Regular Graveler. No looking it up in advance.

alolanGraveler_0.png

Hope you said Iron Filings on it's arms and eyebrows. Along with assorted Yellow Spots.

Please note I am not saying Graveler is forgettable, too many have Self Destructed in your face to be the case for that. I'm specifically talking about the Alolan Variant.

Now the reason Alolan Graveler is so Forgettable, it is an In-Game trade that you are very likely to take on, that immediately evolves into Alolan Golem.

alolanGolem_2.png

Like it or Dislike it, you will remember Alolan Golem instantly with it's Shogun inspired design and what is essentially a Rail Gun on it's back. Alolan Golem design alone has made you forgotten what Alolan Graveler's was for the 10 seconds you had it before it evolved. You probably thought Alolan Graveler had additional features to make the transistion between the two more noticable, but no.

074_f2.png

It get's the yellow dots at various points of the body, that is it. And when people say "Graveler", they will think of the Original Kanto one, not this Alolan Electric Type one (Yeah it's electric type as well, thought it was Part Steel or something with those filings? Nope.)

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Big lol at the people dismissing entire generations or even Pokémon that are well known for being "bad" or less appealing. They're still iconic you know.

The least iconic Pokémon are those random mons no one remembers that can be found in every generation except for maybe the first one, depending on your age.

StephXPM

Pokemon Master
Nov 23, 2017
250px-433Chingling.png

An unnecessary pre-evolution for an already obscure 'mon (I guess the anime brought Chimecho more to the spotlight, though) .

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
It used to be Lumineon, but then people started to regularly bring it up in these types of discussions.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Those half a million people were voting on which event Pokemon they wanted. That's it. It's not a proper popularity poll
Yet, Greninja won in the end. Also, I doubt all of the half of million of fans were alll focused on just voting for legendaries, and fill out their ten choices as just that. Pokemon like Charizard, Meowth, and Lucario in the top twenty shows that it wasn't just legendary bias, and the next hundred pokemon being well known pokemon, or memes, further prove this. As for your later point, we need to wait another four years for the next poll.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Electrode is an emoticon that got lost in the Pokemon universe.

Just a circle with a face. I feel like they got to 149 Pokemon and reckoned a couple of circles would be fine for that last two.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yet, Greninja won in the end. Also, I doubt all of the half of million of fans were alll focused on just voting for legendaries, and fill out their ten choices as just that. Pokemon like Charizard, Meowth, and Lucario in the top twenty shows that it wasn't just legendary bias, and the next hundred pokemon being well known pokemon, or memes, further prove this. As for your later point, we need to wait another four years for the next poll.
Ironically a lot of the top Pokemon got there because choosing a Pokemon was done alphabetically so you got a lot of Pokemon whose Japanese name begins with A.

It's why Arbok (same), Beautifly (Agehunt), and Armando (same) are so high.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I think Maractus is a pretty good pick. It's not the ones immediately grabbed at for this title like Finneon and Basculin, ironically making them iconic in their forgettable-ness. It doesn't have a notable role in competitive, the anime, movies or TCG to my knowledge, and main campaign-wise it's only been available in the BW games so it's not a Pokemon a lot of people even get to see.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Ironically a lot of the top Pokemon got there because choosing a Pokemon was done alphabetically so you got a lot of Pokemon whose Japanese name begins with A.

It's why Arbok (same), Beautifly (Agehunt), and Armando (same) are so high.
Archen, and Archeops are the go to lazy options, as both of them are the first two options when picking pokemon. Arbok is actually quite popular in Japan for some strange reason, but a possible reason could be because it was Jessie's first pokemon in the anime; Ekans being in the 102 spot further support this.. Either that, or alot of people have a kinbaru fetish.

Beautifly has always been popular, and it was one of May's signature pokemon, so it makes sence for it to make the top 100.

Edit: Never mind about Ekans and Arbok, as I forgot about their Japanese names.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just saying if you look at a list of Pokemon with Japanese names that begin with A a lot of them pop up...Meditite is Asanan for example and doesn't have anything notable about it...at the very least Medicham would beat it.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I want to say that going by the question posed we could focus on the least iconic pokemon that was pushed to try and be iconic (so a case of the Zoroark I guess)

Otherwise it's just a case of looking for forgotten and redundant pokemon with no real hook to their existence.
Some of these somehow manage to be remembered for that exact reason though (Basculin being like the one river dwelling fish in Unova with two forms makes it at least somewhat notable to me)

As much as I'd like to say the Burmy line, even then that's a split evo with one of them having multiple typings dependant on outside factors.
So now I'm really just gonna pluck some perfectly acceptable nothing-mon...

250px-756Shiinotic.png

I forgot this Pokemon existed until I saw its pre-evolution in the Detective Pikachu trailer

It's Shiinotic, a Pokemon whose name I had to look up because I literally could not remember it. It's also terrifying looking.
And this would be a good choice.
It's not something that leaps out as incredibly divisive, so you wont have people remembering it like the dope as all heck Trubbish and Vanilluxe.
It's only got the one gen to its name so far so it hasn't really had time to cement itself, it's not exactly seen much in its own games, it retreads a well worn pokemon concept and its design isn't really strong enough that I can imagine it having many fans.
At least Finneon and Lumineon got meme'd as the forgotten mon, this guy with a name I don't even know how to pronounce may well be THE ONE

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'm just saying if you look at a list of Pokemon with Japanese names that begin with A a lot of them pop up...Meditite is Asanan for example and doesn't have anything notable about it...at the very least Medicham would beat it.
Correct, and I guess a quite amount of people only care about their favorites, and don't care about filling out the whole poll. But I'll still argue that Beautifly is more than just a filler space, and that it does have some popularity backing it up.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I'm pretty sure it was intentional in this case. It has that "what the hell" factor when it shows up for the first time in the elite four, especially since its typing is a bit puzzling to find out first hand.

Spiritomb was an exceptionally more extreme example that threw off first time champion battlers in DPPt, but it quickly gained infamy for various reasons (its strange design, its rare typing, its unusually malicious nature, and its far more extreme method of capture).

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Came here for Finneon. You can have ugly Pokemon or Pokemon with weird concepts, but it's just a small fish with an evolution that's just s bigger fish. Ar least Basulin looks a bit odd and has that red and blue thing going on.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
600px-615Cryogonal.png

I feel compelled to submit another candidate. Who can name this thing, honestly? Totally missed seeing it on my first run through the Gen in which it first appeared, only later discovering its existence when checking a full Pokédex Wiki weeks later.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so disappointed they didn't do more with Dhelmise because the idea of the seaweed posessing an anchor would be awesome if they featured a ghost ship area where the entire ship was just controlled by Dhelmise.

I need that area in SWSH.

600px-615Cryogonal.png

I feel compelled to submit another candidate. Who can name this thing, honestly? Totally missed seeing it on my first run through the Gen in which it first appeared, only later discovering its existence when checking a full Pokédex Wiki weeks later.
The oddity of learning Attract despite being nongendered

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The vast majority of them. If they are not featured prominently on the boxes, movies, TV shows, or are not starters, then they are going to be pretty obscure. So that would be 700+.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Can't think of a specific one, but it's either a Pokemon with no evolution (e.g.,Luvdisc, Dunsparce) or the first evolution of a Pokémon with two evolutions (e.g., every starter post Gen 1, every single Pseudo-Legendary).

I can't think of a single Pokémon where the second evolution is less known than the first, except for those whose second evolutions were added after the fact, like Magmortar, Electivire and Magnezone.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I just have to say that this thread is an utter revelation - I'm simply not recognizing most of these Pokemon posted that came in Gen V upwards. And a lot of these designs are just baffling.

It does feel somewhat isolating, it means that there's a lot of things in a series that was a great big part of my childhood that're now completely alien to me.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
What? Cryogonal is in Brycen's team, no way you missed it lol