• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Corrin from Fire Emblem Fates. Worst version is Conquest. Father is obviously evil and tried to kill her, yet Corrin continues helping him. And it gets even worse, showing Corrin's stupidity has no limit. Birthright and Revelations Corrin are also dumb, but Conquest wins in that regard.
One of the dumbest I've played as. There are other stupid protags out there that actively get people into danger through their stupid actions, but Corrin takes the cake in how unnecessary and contrived most of the scenarios are. Doesn't help that s/he gets praised by everyone throughout the story despite being a complete and utter moron.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
It's Shujinko from MK Deception.

Shujinko, as he appears when the obvious villain sends him on a fetch quest.

latest

Shujinko, as he appears when the obvious villain finally gives in and reveals to him that he's the villain because Shujinko was too stupid to figure out.

latest
Haha, I completely forgot about this. I still had fun in that Konquest mode...or whatever it was called.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Another vote for Corrin from Fire Emblem Fates. First post really nailed it.

"I'll commit genocide against an entire peaceful nation in order to seat my mustache-twirling father on said nation's magical throne, revealing his obvious evil! I will definitely not make my plan known to them to minimize casualties, either, and I also won't sit on the throne myself at the beginning of the game for reasons, even though it would really cut the plot to the chase."

There's really just too much to go into. Corrin is stupidly dumb, made all the more frustrating by the fact that they're the player-created avatar and the player has no choice but to go along with it all.

Fates has the worst writing I've ever seen in any work of fiction. The contrivances boggle the mind.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Playing the RE2 remake and getting annoyed at every idiot protag who is incapable of making simple jumps. Like there's literally a multipart puzzle that you have to solve due to the protag being unable to make a jump across a 3 foot gap.
DyMlh7JUYAE6RQo.jpg:large

I found it kind of funny but it didn't really bother me though.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Asbel from Tales of Graces

Hard for me to give specific examples as to why anymore as I've never replayed the game, since even though it has the best Tales battle system ever, Asbel is such an moron, it's almost embarrassing to play through
I forgot how much unintentional fun I'd get out of scenes where Richard would roll up with his new EVIL voice, his new EVIL scowl and perform an action one would probably describe as being somewhere on the EVIL meter.
And then Asbel is right there like "I dunno guys, let's see how this plays out"
or "I wonder what's up with Richard, he seems...different"

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
It is impossible to overstate how much of an idiot Asbel from Tales of Graces is. I usually don't expect too much out of the main character in a Tales game, but Asbel takes the cake for being the most incompetent imbecile I've seen cast as a protagonist.

It's hard to describe how bad he is as it is all a bunch of little things, such as his constant harping about 'protecting' Sophie (who then ends up saving his dumb ass every other cutscene), sympathizing with the villain for having a hard life 'just like him' (when really Asbel grew up as some rich heir and the villain was a basically a lab rat for horrible experiments), or the constant bone-headed decisions he makes over the course of the game.

To this day I am still amazed at how dumb one character could be. His head is a literal black hole of stupidity where no intelligent thought can escape.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Samus in Other M.

"Samus, are you going to turn on your Varia armor? You're kinda burning alive right now..."
"Adam didn't authorize me to use it."

SMH.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Seems hard to top Corrin considering everything everyone has said.
As it's been said for Mortal Kombat Shujinko and Raiden in MK9 are absolutely up there. Shujinko is so bad in the reboot they just immediately killed him off and the entirety of MK9's plot is "Raiden ruins everything"
I would say Kat from Gravity Rush, but it's less "Makes bad choices" and more "Literally stupid" with some sprinklings of her being naive and innocent.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Playing the RE2 remake and getting annoyed at every idiot protag who is incapable of making simple jumps. Like there's literally a multipart puzzle that you have to solve due to the protag being unable to make a jump across a 3 foot gap.

"Hold on, you're gonna make it"

Man gets literally ripped in half as Leon sees the intestines spill out

"Hang in there!"

DyMlh7JUYAE6RQo.jpg:large

I found it kind of funny but it didn't really bother me though.

No I think he's talking about the book cases where you can't jump a small gap there, not that gap

Dec 12, 2017
Drake in Uncharted 4 is a bold faced idiot. His SUPER scummy con artist brother comes back FROM THE DEAD and is suddenly in need of a service only Drake can provide and they are on a tight deadline from a south american drug cartel leader. Okay seems legit and nothing strange about this at all.

Then he continually lies to his wife who is an INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALIST.

Then he tries hiding his true emotions and motivations from her, and heads off on an adventure with the scumbag brother from beyond the grave. Drinking beer on a boat, having a grand old time.

Oops guess what he is betrayed and his wife almost leaves him. He also apparently knows nothing about the 20 year old PlayStation that has been sitting under their TV since they moved in together.

Uncharted 4 is just a series of terrible decisions by Drake...it's like Vacation.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it very funny that people take shots at Raiden, as if all these people figured out from the start that the message Raiden received was about letting Shao Khan win the tournament.

OT, I nominate Crash Bandicoot as he's literally a failed experiment in making an animal with enhanced intelligence.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I can't recall specifics but Edge Maverick from Star Ocean 4 was pretty friggin' dumb.

Dec 12, 2017
This complete and utter idiot (Booker Dewitt from Bioshock Infinite)

1) He sees a massive sign telling people to beware of someone with a very specific mark on his hand. He looks to the same specific mark on his own hand and thinks "not an issue, I won't bother hiding it."
2) He then goes to a tar-and-feathering party and, instead of just walking by, decides to join in and show the back of his hand to everyone in the crowd

Dude this game falls apart so quickly. The opening is fantastic up until Booker goes to the raffle...then it turns into dumb writing and bad world-building town. It really upsets me when Booker chainsaws the police officer and blood goes flying everywhere...this is such a nice beautiful town, and yeah sure the people are super racist BUT YOU DONT HAVE TO CHAINSAW THEM ALL and kill all the police officers. Jesus christ it just took a crazy violent turn so quickly.

One of the most disappointing games ever.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
The Avatar in Ultima 9.

Goddamnit Avatar, you know the mantras, you learnt them in Ultima 4! They were essential for you to get enlightenment and become the avatar, why do you need to do stupid sidequest to learn them again!?

Also how the hell don't you know what's a paladin! You would start as a Paladin in Ultima 4! Dupre, one of your best friends, was a Paladin! HOW.

Oh God he also forgets what's the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom, I forgot about that.

And the game starts with it saying that the Avatar knowledge of the land will be great, he doesn't remember shit!

Last edited:

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Mario. Will he ever realize that Peach just isn't that into him? Doubtful. He will keep going on all these ridiculous adventures even after receiving a clear "no" in SMO. Hit the gym, Mario
Dude can jump ten times his own height and run endlessly for hours, lack of gym ain't the problem.

My vote goes to Banjo. He's not dumb, he's just... special.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Corrin from Fire Emblem Fates. Worst version is Conquest. Father is obviously evil and tried to kill her, yet Corrin continues helping him. And it gets even worse, showing Corrin's stupidity has no limit. Birthright and Revelations Corrin are also dumb, but Conquest wins in that regard.

I like Corrin in Smash and I at least liked her in Conquest... well, before things went completely stupid a few missions in, but yikes.

Fire Emblem Fates is something where I want to honestly sit down with the writer and ask "okay why in the fuck would you write a story like this" because the plot only functions when all the characters are profoundly stupid

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kratos from God of War 2 and 3.

He's the reason of his own misery and is too stupid to see it.

Also, Jin from Tekken. Causes Mass Genocide and world wars just to summon a mythological beast to exorcise the demon within him and it was all for nothing.

Auron.90

Dec 3, 2017
The Avatar in Ultima IX Ascension maybe? He constantly has to have the most basic and obvious stuff explained to him. Such as eating food is important. And never stops asking questions about and being befuddled by these basic things. And he has forgotten just about everything important from the earlier games.
"What's a paladin?"

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Just looking at the games i finished recently it has to be Arthur from RDR2. I understand loyalty and all but you have to be pretty dumb to keep going along with his "plans" ..

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Raiden is really really dumb and I love it.
The fact that basically God is making everything worse for everyone by making stupid/bad decision is really funny.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dont remember much from SH4 (thank god) but what i remember is mostly being upset with henry being an idiot
I don't remember Henry doing anything particularly stupid in SH4. His problem is that he just had no personality whatsoever.

James in SH2, on the other hand, is a complete and total moron. Walks into a room with Pyramid Head humping a monster and his instinct is to jump into the closest and start shooting him. Also,

Eddie, waving a gun: "If anyone makes fun of me again, I'll kill them!"

James: "Eddie, have you gone nuts?"

WTF?

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

I am 100% convinced that U9 Avatar is literally some surfer bro look alike that got duped into this shit by accident.

Leon wasn't taking any damn chances with those termite infected floors.

True, and think of it this way; if he jumps and the rest of the walkway partially collapsed, that would make some noise.

And I know one fucking trench coated person in particular would be on the case about that

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I don't remember Henry doing anything particularly stupid in SH4. His problem is that he just had no personality whatsoever.

James in SH2, on the other hand, is a complete and total moron. Walks into a room with Pyramid Head humping a monster and his instinct is to jump into the closest and start shooting him. Also,

Eddie, waving a gun: "If anyone makes fun of me again, I'll kill them!"

James: "Eddie, have you gone nuts?"

WTF?

Doesnt Henry keeps asking dumb questions and being "surprised" (as surprised as an emotionless guy can be) by the dumbest shit
Like not recognizing the ghosts of the people he just met or every interaction with eileen
He never gets a clue about Walter either

Also entering random holes that appear around your house is kinda dumb

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Terra from Kingdom Hearts. Half of the story wouldn't have even happened in that game if it wasn't for his stupidity.
This is the right answer. Things would have been so much better had he not
listened to obviously evil guy and done obviously evil things, leave Ventus in a position to doubt himself and recombine with Venitas, put Aqua in a position where she gets lost in the darkness to save him and lose his body. Fuckin' Terra.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The Avatar in Ultima 9.

Goddamnit Avatar, you know the mantras, you learnt them in Ultima 4! They were essential for you to get enlightenment and become the avatar, why do you need to do stupid sidequest to learn them again!?

Also how the hell don't you know what's a paladin! You would start as a Paladin in Ultima 4! Dupre, one of your best friends, was a Paladin! HOW.

Oh God he also forgets what's the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom, I forgot about that.

And the game starts with it saying that the Avatar knowledge of the land will be great, he doesn't remember shit!

The Ultima LPs in the lp archive really show how dumb the avatar can be though
Like jumping into moongates s/he have no idea where it leads or leaving its house unlocked everytime they leave for britannia

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
The Ultima LPs in the lp archive really show how dumb the avatar can be though
Like jumping into moongates s/he have no idea where it leads or leaving its house unlocked everytime they leave for britannia
Steve always knew what she was doing once she was in Britannia tho. Thanks to having Ultimate Wisdom.