• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biggest loser in Star Wars?

• Anakin Skywalker

Votes: 97 15.3%
  • Kylo Ren

Votes: 87 13.8%
  • Luke Skywalker

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • General Hux

Votes: 142 22.5%
  • Phasma

Votes: 196 31.0%
  • General Grevious

Votes: 35 5.5%
  • Ochi of Bestoon

Votes: 38 6.0%

• Total voters

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Phasma, you get Brienne of Tarth into a combat role and all you use her for is to sell toys and die in a stupid way

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Too many decisions reeks of JJ's hands. Of course, executive meddling was likely large, but you assume JJ wasn't on-board with all that meddling.

Looking at JJ filmography, TROS doesn't really seem all too much like a JJ film in a lot of ideas and execution. People are too quick to blame him for this and act like they know him personally, I doubt he had as much of a hand in a lot of the flaws in this movie as people think.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at JJ filmography, TROS doesn't really seem all too much like a JJ film in a lot of ideas and execution. People are too quick to blame him for this and act like they know him personally, I doubt he had as much of a hand in a lot of the flaws in this movie as people think.

Over-reliance on nostalgia.
Plot-driven narratives focused on Macguffins.
Twists that only work for the audience but mean nothing to the characters.

These are classic JJ traits.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020

Thats also a very surface level reading of JJ traits. All of these things are present in a lot JJ movies (except for reliance on nostalgia, I don't believe that's a fair thing to state), but he always structured these elements in a precise manner that at the very least made for engaging and well-paced spectacles. All other JJ movies have a solid emotional core that defines the movie, you could tell he was passionate about telling those stories in the best way he could.

Every single other one of JJ´s movies has a clear vision going through it.

That is something that is completely absent from TROS. To me, TROS feels like a movie where a bunch of executives handed JJ a comprehensive list of things he needed to do in the movie and JJ was left to pick up the pieces as good as he could.

Until we hear a tell-all or honest making-of, we can only speculate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out Im right.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Thats also a very surface level reading of JJ traits. All of these things are present in a lot JJ movies (except for reliance on nostalgia, I don't believe that's a fair thing to state), but he always structured these elements in a precise manner that at the very least made for engaging and well-paced spectacles. All other JJ movies have a solid emotional core that defines the movie, you could tell he was passionate about telling those stories in the best way he could.

Every single other one of JJ´s movies has a clear vision going through it.

That is something that is completely absent from TROS. To me, TROS feels like a movie where a bunch of executives handed JJ a comprehensive list of things he needed to do in the movie and JJ was left to pick up the pieces as good as he could.

Until we hear a tell-all or honest making-of, we can only speculate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out Im right.

My name is...Khan.

dun..dun...dunnnn.....

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kylo sucks and nothing will ever change that

Actor is great though, does amazing work on SNL

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Phasma, you get Brienne of Tarth into a combat role and all you use her for is to sell toys and die in a stupid way

What about the Raid guys who played Kanjiklub?

S5V8dJA.jpg

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

I don't like this youtuber much (in terms of their arguments, I'm sure Patrick is fine as a person) but I watched this video back sometime after TLJ and even though I was apprehensive about JJ Abrams doing star wars, I scoffed so hard at the idea that you could predict what JJ Abrams, who whatever you might say about him is a professional hollywood director, would do with star wars based on how he handled some teen drama show from over a two decades ago.

I still can't believe I had to eat crow on this one.

I'm sure there's executive meddling, but thematically, TRoS is just what JJ Abrams does.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I really doubt JJ is solely responsible for most of the baffling decisions in TROS. The movie screams heavy executive meddling.

Are you kidding? The movie is an example of not enough executive meddling. They let JJ have free reign to retcon whatever he wanted, introduce whatever insane magic powers he wanted and even let him make a Carrie Fisher zombie to put in some scenes (despite insisting she would be written out of Episode IX previously). They were so desperate after Solo bombed and TLJ napalmed the old EU fans they let him do whatever he wanted. If an executive had said "you are not allowed to retcon ROTJ" perhaps the movie could have been saved.

There simply wasn't time to interfere by the time JJ was hired, they had to start shooting very quickly yet they threw out almost everything that had been in pre-production for the Trevorrow version. They had to just cross their fingers and pray that he could deliver two hours of Star Wars footage in time for the toy launch.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
At least Boba Fett had one film where he was the only completely competent character. Making him comic relief in RotJ was such a baffling decision.

Phasma has to be the choice, right? What was the point of including her at all?

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
At least Boba Fett had one film where he was the only completely competent character. Making him comic relief in RotJ was such a baffling decision.

Phasma has to be the choice, right? What was the point of including her at all?

She was just a goon to be a foil for Finn, a secondary character. She was never supposed to be any more than that, these movies already have far too many characters and it's impossible give them all a huge role. She got more screen time than Boba Fett and more dialogue too, so not such a bad part.