• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is the biggest asshole?

• Larry

Votes: 90 51.1%
  • Jeff

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • Cheryl

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • Susie

Votes: 48 27.3%
  • Richard

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • Leon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Limiting the choice to the six most frequent characters (who have played a significant role across multiple seasons). Who is the biggest asshole, overall?

I think it will be really interesting to hear thoughts on this, and if there is any consensus. There's plenty to be said, at least for the main four characters (Larry, Jeff, Cheryl, Susie).

Larry - Whilst he has done a lot of morally repugnant things, I think Larry's good actions and (usually) intentions puts him out of contention. He very frequently shows a lot of kindness and thought.

Jeff - I think Jeff is a lot like Larry, but with less redeeming features. His moral lows are more repugnant, and with less redeeming acts of kindness and good intentions.

Susie - Actually, not sure i'd have her down as that much of an asshole. She can be annoying, and rude, but broadly find myself agreeing with her a lot. She is often needlessly hostile to people, but overall don't think she can compete on the asshole levels.

Cheryl - Actually perhaps my front runner. Often uncaring and rude, with very little examples of kindness. Yes, it's her idea to house the Blacks for example, but then doesn't give a second thought to them, is happy for them to miss job interviews because she needs Larry to make her toast etc... Often ignores (and is actively frustrated with) Larry's attempts to show compassion to others.

Leon and Richard - I think are clearly a much lower order of asshole.

I find the role of Cheryl and Susie in the show particularly interesting. Especially in the earlier seasons, both play the stereotypical role of nagging wives causing problems for the protagonists (Larry and Jeff) - just providing the peril for many of the minor moral conundrums that they face. They show that world where husbands don't really like their wives, and just have to obey a certain set of rules which cause them problems. So perhaps it is therefore not fair to judge Cheryl as the main asshole, when for the first 6 seasons she is purely a plot device to cause trouble for Larry.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Ted Danson.

But out of those? Maybe Jeff or Sheryl, I voted for Jeff. Leons endless wisdom should disqualify him.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Marty and Danson

In fact Marty is such an asshole, he makes Larry look worthy of pity at times

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Larry without question, almost to the point of Flanderization this season I feel.

But Susie is a massive POS as well because of her temper and how pretentious she is.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Just the fact these people still call Larry out for being the world's biggest asshole means they're less heinous considering Larry never calls anyone out for being a shithead.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know about assholes, but can we also have a thread for most boring character on Curb? Richard Lewis has always been such a blando.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I chose Jeff. The way in which he cheated on Susie so cavalierly doesn't seem like something that Larry would do. Of course, I don't know how anyone could possible live with, let alone be married to Susie as she's a monster as well. Jeff's more polite and less abrasive than Larry although Larry's abrasive attitude is mostly due to him trying to enforce his sense of right or wrong on others which frustrates people but I don't think truly makes him an asshole.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
At least Larry, Leon, Jeff, Susie, etc. are entertaining. It's been years since I've seen the bulk of CYE, but I'm honestly drawing a blank on funny Richard moments. I guess he's more of a straight man, but woof.
I think Richard has been better this season.
He is at his best in this season.
I've only seen clips of the latest season. Time to watch the full thing.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least Larry, Leon, Jeff, Susie, etc. are entertaining. It's been years since I've seen the bulk of CYE, but I'm honestly drawing a blank on funny Richard moments. I guess he's more of a straight man, but woof.
But he has one of the best Curb moments:

The unfunniest has to be Jeff, all his moments come from Susie.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Tough call. Most of the time we see on screen is with Larry so we see him being an asshole the most, although maybe 25% of the time he is sorta justified about what he is doing/thinking. Jeff is a pretty good contender, he rarely does anything nice for anyone and seems to be constantly cheating and lying. You rarely see him work as well but clearly he is making a ton of money from his clients, who all happen to also be his friends.

It wouldn't surprise me at all in the final season of Curb its revealed that Jeff has been stealing hundreds of millions of dollars from Larry, he totally seems like that kinda guy.

Cheryl and Susie I put in the "liberal clueless white" camp that Larry likes to poke a lot of fun at. They mean well usually and are happy to help others when it costs them nothing (except money) but they don't really think about anyone else and their needs are always first and foremost. They feel like lighter versions of Lucille Bluth from Arrested Development.

Leon is the funniest character on the show and has some of the biggest asshole moments, but he usually doesn't mean to hurt Larry and seems mostly honest and feels like what most people would LIKE to say/do if they could.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It's either Susie or Larry. Shit, Susie killed Rusty this season.

While the show is comprised of terrible people, most can fake pleasant interactions with other human beings. Larry and Susie are incapable and generally terrible to everyone they meet.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Larry is almost a 100% asshole now. He searches out and initiates conflict with others, whereas in the old show he only ever clashed with people that were abrasive towards him.....he bumbled in to conflict, whereas now he just walks around telling other people what shitheads they are.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Larry is almost a 100% asshole now. He searches out and initiates conflict with others, whereas in the old show he only ever clashed with people that were abrasive towards him.....he bumbled in to conflict, whereas now he just walks around telling other people what shitheads they are.
This.

Felt like the humour in the older shows was about Larry "accidentally" being an asshole and messing everything up (like many 'cringe' comedies of the era), it was never intentional. But it's like fictional Larry thought "fuck it" at some point and realised that the way everyone overreacted to his accidental cringe-ups meant he might as well just intentionally go around being a complete asshole anyway lol.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
It's Larry. Mostly out of sheer ignorance.

He ruined an entire beach party because he was convinced that the Korean dish being served had to be dog meat. Of course the missing dog shows up right after.