• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is the biggest loser?

• Reptile

Votes: 124 23.8%
  • Baraka

Votes: 355 68.0%
  • Bonus option: Ermac

Votes: 43 8.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, by my calculations, it looks like Baraka leads Reptile in list of losses, 8 to 6, unless we count the movies, in which case it's 9 to 10 (Liu Kang beats 1 reptile in MK the movie, and raiden beats 3 reptiles in MK:A)

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Yes the real loser is most definitely Kotal, dude is straight bitch made lol.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
This lol, Kotal is built up to be this big thing for the story to the point where Shao Kahn kept him imprisoned to make sure he couldn't try anything.

Then Kotal couldn't do jack shit in both story modes.
Had Mileena executed at least... and beat Shao Kahn first round.... But damn yeah, can't even kill the tax man and jobs to the Kombat Kids. Has to be the closest to good character with the most l's in the stories...

At least I got a mid command grab with an easy imput....

Ghostmaster

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm Baraka is definitely the biggest jobber of the villains with the most basic design.

I would give Reptile an edge over smoke and cyrax/sektor when it comes to ninjas.

So Baraka edges it out as the biggest jobber. Has a cool name though

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Reptile has some story feats to his name. Baraka has none.

Special entry though, Shinnok. In both timelines, he's completely out-shined by his "right hand man". Got whooped on by the Cages. And what Raiden did to him, whew.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Being reminded by folks in the thread - Kotal is an absolute fucking jobber as far as the new characters go, him and Erron Black (Though I've heard people say Erron is shown to be decent in some of the comic adaptations).

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Reptile but I only know MKX/11... and with that in mind let's just add kotal to the pile. I wanted to like him but he's created to suck lol

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
How Reptile went from being THE urban legend to the series' cosmic chewtoy will never not make me sad.

Even so, I'd say Baraka is the bigger jobber between the two of them.

But neither of them have taken Ls to the extent of Shinnok, though. As stated above, he got clowned by the first Subby, outmaneuvered by Quanny in both timelines, and the Cages clowned him some more in the new timeline.

It somehow comes off worse, considering Shinnok was built up as being such a big deal, yet did not live up to the hype. Baraka and Reptile are at least mooks that have to lose to the heroes at different intervals.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Reptile is only awesome in his first appearance in MK1 because of secrets and the fight being hard as hell at the time. From MK2 on he just sucks. He was easily the worst character in MK2 and UMK3 didn't help by giving him a ton of tools and gimmicks that added up to less than zero.

Baraka was only ever just annoying to fight because of his stupid blades attack that essentially prevents you from jumping at him at most times. Even the busted-ass AI in MK2 can't use him properly.

I'd say it's a tie, but Reptile is more of a jobber due to his fall from the high tower of grace. Baraka was always crappy, so at least he's consistent.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Baraka is your average jobber. Some regular guy in outworld who has nothing special going on about him and you could replace with pretty much any other Tarkatan. Meanwhile Reptible was a secret character with a pretty cool moveset and overall design (a GREEN ninja? that's brilliant!). Also his secret costume in MK4 was just top notch:

39ZvgsV.jpg

Baraka just suck. Look at this, LOOK AT IT:

Dblcsmj.jpg

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Reptile's the bigger loser. Like others have said, Reptile loses even when he wins (re: MK4 ending)

Baraka at least got to be somewhat important in MK11. What's Reptile's big story moment? Getting possessed by another character? lmao

The reala nswer is Kotal Kahn, even in his chapters you end up feeling like a loser.

Reptile and Baraka have been around (and jobbing) for way longer than Kotal, but this is fair lol

How about a 3rd option: Ermac? Ermac comes off as super creepy and like a huge deal in MK9, but turns out he just gets his ass kicked over and over again. And like reptile, in many of Ermac's endings, he also loses, like the one where Shang Tsung comes back and just feeds off of his souls:

I'm gonna have to say no

Every Outworld character not named Shao Kahn came off as a jobber in MK9, but only Baraka and Reptile have lows like "being possessed by another character" and "straight up being killed off to make another character look good" and I don't think Ermac has ever been done dirty like that

Now you know who has been done dirty? Kotal. Dude could barely stop himself from being owned *in his own chapter* in MK11. And once he stopped being playable, the L train just went full force, and made it all the way "get your spine broken" station

Last edited:

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Baraka is meant to be a putty. Yet makes it into more games than reptile. Reptile has the hifher distinction of being one of the colored ninjas and consistently gets clowned one.

One is just doing their job. The other is a disappointment to their family.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Baraka has been getting treated like shit ever since they didn't bring him back in MK3. He was a straight beast in MK2. Really sad to see him get this kind of fuckery from both the developers AND the players.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Would have been Baraka for me until MK11. Hes downright competent and feels like a legitimate threat in that game and apparently that continues in Aftermath. Reptile going forward beyond his apppearance as a hidden boss fight in MK1 just seems to either job or fail even after he wins in most cases. My feelings on how cool reptile is stem back to those early MK1-MK2 days before they worked him over. I still wish they would tone his lizard features down though. The cool part of reptile is when he reveals his inhuman side in certain fatalities and special moves and its like they forgot thats the coolest aspect about the character visually.

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta go with Baraka. He always was designed to be a jobber.

Reptile meanwhile started as a cool mysterious character only to then be turned into whatever he became in the 3D games. I don't know why the hell NR hates him. He has one of the coolest backstories ever in the series.

I gotta say though, whoever is writing the story is doing a bad job. There is no excuse why they have bias towards a lot of the characters. Reptile, Ermac, Skarlet, Rain, Kotal, Erron Black etc who have cool designs or backstories are just made into jobbers so Scorpion, Johnny, Sub Zero, Sonya and the combat kids could look cool.

Why not just go the Tekken route and make you fight against goons working for the character? Instead of having character get their shit kicked in over and over, use goons that are using the same moveset.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Baraka, specially since the game have shown you that there arelike 100.000 barakas in the world, although I liked his redemption in MK11

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Baraka's a jobber like the guys that show up on Smackdown and never win. Reptile is a jobber like the guys that got over huge at the beginning of their careers and they never really capitalized and now you see them at a local show and they're drunk and being racist at the merch table.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
In MKX, the Xenomorph that kompetes is birthed from a Tarkatan, hence he takes on the Tarkatan kharacteristics

EDIT: Or do you mean you didn't know the Xenomorph is in the MKX? Recent MK games have taken to creating dream match ups of movie characters as guests. Freddy Kruger vs Jason, Xenomorph vs Predator, and now Robocop vs Terminator.

Had no idea the Xenomorph in MKX was a hybrid! How do you know that? From the intro dialogues? Is it mentioned anywhere else? That explains why the xenomorph's proportions look really.. off

And its too bad they couldnt get Freddy vs Jason in the same game :(

May 26, 2018
Until MK11 I would've said Baraka. But he's an actual character now. Reptile is such a jobber that he doesn't even exist anymore.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea the Xenomorph in MKX was a hybrid! How do you know that? From the intro dialogues? Is it mentioned anywhere else? That explains why the xenomorph's proportions look really.. off

The character DLC description on every store:

store.steampowered.com

Alien on Steam

New playable character. Burst into the game with the Xenomorph from the classic sci-fi horror film franchise Alien.

The Xenomorphs had descended on Outworld long ago, but the dormant eggs they left behind were only recently found. The leader of a Tarkatan patrol had picked up one of the leathery orbs, only to have it burst open - and its occupant attach itself to his face. Later, the Alien progeny burst from the unfortunate Tarkatan's chest, bearing characteristics of both Xenomorph and host. The creature now roams Outworld, looking for more hosts. Its amazing strength and animal fury make the Alien almost unstoppable.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I initially voted for Baraka, but MK11 really does give him his due in a way Reptile never got since he was a hidden character in the first game. So, I guess Reptile is the bigger jobber after all. But tbh, just about all the sub-big bad villain characters in MK exist just to job.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Reptile, no contest. He never for a single time had a taste of power in this franchise, except for when Onaga possessed his body I guess lol Baraka in the latest entries has become more of a tarkata leader at the very least, and his opinions seemed to be valued to an extent in MK11 as bigger powers were trying to enlist his people's aid in the coming war.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
re: Kotal Kahn

Now that I think about it, he jobbed in his own reveal trailer for MK11.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe you people would include Ermac on the poll. An insult. Where is my gif.

Found my gif:

A4NDrSvwvj7JNmoVlhR_gWwCQVSGwnpsOOCu9RV3q22dU_uwTZjbh_lOQkczKNOfPLNE7A97MmpN_TWnQt6CfmVXXl0f7I5u1Sfviit6lvegGDGtoOU

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
MK Deception stops Ermac from being in this list. He and Liu Kang saved the dead heroes from Onaga.

He also trained Kenshi.

Ermac is more important in the old timeline though.

I'd switch him with everyone's favorite Earth Special Forces punching bag, Kano. But he's way more important than Baraka and Repitle.