• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is the biggest loser?

• Reptile

Votes: 124 23.8%
  • Baraka

Votes: 355 68.0%
  • Bonus option: Ermac

Votes: 43 8.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're right thick in the middle of the mortal kombat story, lots of shit is going on, but it's been a while since a fight. They need a meaningless fight thrown in to break up the cutscenes, someone who can be whipped without affecting the story immediately. Inevitably they send in either reptile or baraka.

Which is the bigger loser?

315263382bb02eefbec68146d7859132.jpg

Reptile is such a loser, that his entire race has been exterminated since before the series began. He's basically a pet to Shang Tsung.

latest

Not to be outdone, the tarkatans, while not completely exterminated, are basically roaches of the MK lore. They exist mainly as waves of fodder to be killed enmass. Baraka is technically their king, but functionally they're all the same. Hell, in the latest MK story trailer, you see a group of tarkatans getting their asses kicked with one melting in acid before shang tsung is like "eh, whatever."

They are they very first two fights in MK9, to the weakest character story-wise. They are so bad at fighting, Johnny Cage didn't even know it was a real fight.

So who jobs harder?

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Baraka IIRC is not even the more popular tarkatan in the game. For a king, that's pretty pathetic.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Reptile is the cool secret green ninja people talked about at recess.

Baraka is a jobber and always has been.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Baraka's kind of a chad in 11 and saved the day along with the good guys while Reptile stays cleaning Shang Tsung's toilets or whatever.

Kyzon Xin

Oct 25, 2017
Baraka redeems himself in the most recent game. Tarkatans in general get bodied, so he's basically a prodigy as far as they're concerned.

Reptile on the other hand jobbed himself into the moveset of another character. I'd consider him the de facto jobber.

Sad thing is these two and Smoke are my top 3 favorite MK characters with Reptile being the 3rd favorite because his human form has been missing for so long. I don't like the beak face too much

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HOLD UP

Explain this.

Mileena is a klone of Kitana infused with Tarkatan blood created by Shang Tsung.

latest

In MKX, the Xenomorph that kompetes is birthed from a Tarkatan, hence he takes on the Tarkatan kharacteristics:

EDIT: Or do you mean you didn't know the Xenomorph is in the MKX? Recent MK games have taken to creating dream match ups of movie characters as guests. Freddy Kruger vs Jason, Xenomorph vs Predator, and now Robocop vs Terminator.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Did that dude just do a double hand jackoff and not wash his hands....finally a penis to match Era!

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Remember how Reptile was killed by Shinnok in his own arcade ending in MK4? You beat the game, defeat Shinnok and you end up dying anyway in the most pathetic way :/

I feel sorry for Reptile's fans. He was an amazing secret in MK1 and then it was a road downhill after that.

B1ggRandall

Oct 27, 2017
Baraka stepped up BIG in MK 11! Reptile aint even in the game! lol
Its Baraka/SPOILER]

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Reptile kind of hurts since he started as this mysterious warrior on the level of Scorpion and Sub-Zero, or even above them, but then ended up as this grunt lizard face monster that got killed in his own ending.

And he never really recovered from this, being treated as trash in MK9's remake of the original tournament. I don't get why they keep insisting in Lizard Reptile if they can't take him seriously anyway.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about a 3rd option: Ermac? Ermac comes off as super creepy and like a huge deal in MK9, but turns out he just gets his ass kicked over and over again. And like reptile, in many of Ermac's endings, he also loses, like the one where Shang Tsung comes back and just feeds off of his souls:

Oct 27, 2017
My head canon/fan fiction has Shang Tsung extracting all the "acid" from Reptile's race for the acid pit and other experimentation purposes and either left Reptile alive or he escaped but fell under Shang's control to do his bidding.

I want that explored. If they can expand on yellow and blue, why not green? Why come up with dumber stories and kharacters like Ferra Tor?

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about a 3rd option: Ermac? Ermac comes off as super creepy and like a huge deal in MK9, but turns out he just gets his ass kicked over and over again. And like reptile, in many of Ermac's endings, he also loses, like the one where Shang Tsung comes back and just feeds off of his souls:

Ermac was only really a jobber in MKX but that was mainly cause anyone not a hero or morally grey were relegated to losing matches in that game. Even then, Ermac has been shown to be fairly powerful but weighed down by the amount of souls in him tearing his body apart. He's had more moments where he one-upped the heroes more than Baraka and Reptile combined.

As much as like him more than Baraka, it's Reptile. As previously mentioned, he comes from an extinct race whereas at least Baraka is the King of his group. He jobs constantly, to a degree that he is manipulated in all sorts of varying embarrassing ways, and even some his endings have him losing.

Dude deserves so much better.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ermac was only really a jobber in MKX but that was mainly cause anyone not a hero or morally grey were relegated to losing matches in that game. Even then, Ermac has been shown to be fairly powerful but weighed down by the amount of souls in him tearing his body apart. He's had more moments where he one-upped the heroes more than Baraka and Reptile combined.

Sub-zero kicks ermac's ass twice in MK9.

"Come no further, fiend of outworld!"

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Baraka's actually been on an upwards trajectory in MK11. The same DLC trailer you mentioned has him seeing through Shang Tsung's disguise and shanking him in the heart.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sub-zero kicks ermac's ass twice in MK9.

"Come no further, fiend of outworld!"

Again that's pretty much because villains in modern MK games are treat like enhancement talent in wrestling lol. If we're just talking about MKX, then yeah I agree with you (I hate X Ermac) but in terms of the whole series I would not put Ermac on the same level as Baraka and Reptile.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Baraka's actually been on an upwards trajectory in MK11. The same DLC trailer you mentioned has him seeing through Shang Tsung's disguise and shanking him in the heart.

to absolutely no effect. And you know exactly what's going to happen after that: Shang Tsung is going to kick his ass in a fight.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's literally the definition of "jobber"

I know? If we're just counting the modern games then say so, I'm talking the whole series here but you seem fixed on the few fights Ermac had in MK9 and X where every bad guy was never allowed a win. By that logic Mileena is a jobber cause she never won a fight.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know? If we're just counting the modern games then say so, I'm talking the whole series here but you seem fixed on the few fights Ermac had in MK9 and X where every bad guy was never allowed a win. By that logic Mileena is a jobber cause she never won a fight.

Ermac, even in the old games, was made of a defeated souls

jI6QrIc6J7Q3d9m3XAz_1_lMrZ4PwnLl708FA0rAY97N4KTIBkrFDhrRwadwfSa0-0O6Sfl8UKXYGE3w2Z55pCFkVWuMvbmhPsM09MnkFrhQBTSeDytfHTS1vNkHLQ

He has always been a bunch of losers combined.

Like, Ermac's sole victory in the series was ripping Jax's arms off.

By that logic Mileena is a jobber cause she never won a fight.

She IS a jobber. In nearly every appearance she's been in, she's done nothing but lost.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ermac, even in the old games, was made of a defeated souls

jI6QrIc6J7Q3d9m3XAz_1_lMrZ4PwnLl708FA0rAY97N4KTIBkrFDhrRwadwfSa0-0O6Sfl8UKXYGE3w2Z55pCFkVWuMvbmhPsM09MnkFrhQBTSeDytfHTS1vNkHLQ

He has always been a bunch of losers combined.

Like, Ermac's sole victory in the series was ripping Jax's arms off.

OK then let's just ignore Deception where he taught Kenshi how to use telekinesis then helped Liu Kang free the Deadly Alliance cast who were being controlled by Onaga.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK then let's just ignore Deception where he taught Kenshi how to use telekinesis then helped Liu Kang free the Deadly Alliance cast who were being controlled by Onaga.

It sounds very much like you don't quite understand what jobbing is. Jobbing does not mean you don't ever have shining moments. Jobbing means you are most frequently used as mere fodder to lose. Like, hands down, Ermac, Baraka, and Reptile are used most frequently as meaningless fights solely to pad out the wins for the heroes.

Like, yeah, Mileena is a loser too. But they don't keep throwing Mileena at the heroes over and over again for meaningless victories. Ermac, Baraka, and Reptile are the "filler" fights in the series, over and over again. Like, by far more than the other characters. Pointing out ending beats from previous games doesn't make sense, because those games don't have story modes with filler fights.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
As an MK1-3 Reptile fanatic, the fact that we can even be having this conversation RE: modern MK depresses the hell out of me. Gotta give it to Reptile, though. He's such a jobber they couldn't even bother including him in MKXI.

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
The real answer is Kotal Kahn, even in his chapters you end up feeling like a loser.

Last edited: