• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

People who have played both Origins and Odyssey: Who was the better character?

• Bayek

Votes: 353 49.3%
  • Kassandra

Votes: 363 50.7%

• Total voters

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
10927.png

I have recently been playing Assassins Creed : Origins for the first time after taking a large break from the series, and have been really surprised at how well written, animated and voice acted Bayek of Siwa is. Always willing to help anyone, and actually has a lot of personality and humor in his lines, I find myself just wanted to keep playing the game to get more of his story, and see his reactions to the world around him.

images

The only experience I have had playing Odyssey was a few hours on a free Steam Weekend where I just wanted to try out the new Assassins Creed formula, before I had even played Origins. But I always read about people praising Kassandra's character as well, and is apparently more popular than the other protagonist of the game, her brother Alexios.

People who have played both Origins and Odyssey: Which protagonist did you enjoy playing as more?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Bayek is one of the best protagonists in Assassin's Creed and one of the best this gen. Really surprised me. His actor is amazing too.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Both are awesome, but I did love Kassandra more. Bayek was super wholesome tho lol

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Origins is the better game, with a better story, but Kassandra is definitely the better protagonist, and I'd argue one of the best video game protagonists of the generation.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Loved Kassandra but felt some of the animations/lighting let her down. She was really funny and warm and will be tough to top in the future.

Bayek was the best protagonist to date at the time and I just bought his relationships and performance completely.

I guess it's a tie for me

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
It's Bayek.

Kassandra's character design and voice tho, very very good. I really liked her - just wish they had given her more than what she got.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bayek. Easily. Loved everything about him, and his devotion to his lost child. He brought him up when he experienced profound moments throughout the game and when he was reflecting on events.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Bayek has a better arc than Kassandra.

Odyssey's story is too bloated but Kassandra is a really likeable character to inhabit for 60+ hrs.

Bayek has a lot going for him, but I just kinda dig his dad energy, which is probably why his actor is also Father in Raised By Wolves.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bayek. Charismatic AF and his relationship with Aya eclipses any and all romance options in Odyssey. I would've gladly taken an Aya game over Odyssey

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bayek is honestly my favorite protagonist of the generation. One of my biggest issues with the pivot to branching storyline and dialogue wheels in Odyssey is that the narrative design suffers from it. What used to be one cohesive cutscene or dialogue between characters now becomes a series of stop-and-answer.

BBQfritos

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2020
I played as alexios and thought he was the more likeable protagonists in years.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Bayek has a better character arc

Kassandra's great but also they kinda screwed over her and the player's agency with the DLC

She should show up in every future game casually with no explanation though it'd be funny.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Both are great, I think Bayek slightly edges her out. Mostly just because Odyssey gives you so much choice that it's hard to commit to a portrayal.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I chose Bayek because I was one of the heathens that chose Alexios.

Sorry.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Sleep? I never sleep! I just wait... In the shadows...

Bayek all day, everyday. Kassandra is a close second though.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's really tough. Both of them have great voice acting, and their personalities are a lot more interesting than most AC protagonists other than Ezio. That being said, I think Bayek's arc is way more tragic and compelling, and as a result Bayek has way more emotional scenes. Kassandra's arc is pretty forgettable other than a few moments and her motivations are always a bit of a mixed bag. So in the end I think I liked Bayek more, but Kassandra is also great.

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard nothing but extremely positive things about Bayek.

I'm playing AC: Odyssey right now and while I think Kassandra is good, I haven't experienced much yet that makes me think she's a top-tier protagonist (the Odyssey plot is really weak so far). Alexios, on the other hand, I burst out laughing the first time I ever heard him speak.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard nothing but extremely positive things about Bayek.

I'm playing AC: Odyssey right now and while I think Kassandra is good, I haven't experienced much yet that makes me think she's a top-tier protagonist (the Odyssey plot is really weak so far). Alexios, on the other hand, I burst out laughing the first time I ever heard him speak.

Yeah, Alexios was a swing and a miss IMO. Was not a fan of his VA at all and Kassandra in general is just a much better character.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Both are very good protagonists, with great voice actors.

But Kassandra edges it out for me due to her delivery and expressions, she had a lot.more range in her character. Though Bayek does have the better story.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Bayek has by fucking far. I'm kind of baffled why people like the Odyssey protagonist so much. I guess people like that generic sarcastic "wit" despite seeing it everywhere else.

Also I played as Kassandra and I thought she just failed to convey any emotion during the most pivotal of scenes. Unlike Bayek who I legitimately felt sorry for.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Odyssey yet, but Bayek is easily one of the best protagonists in the entire series thus far.

Apr 27, 2020
"You don't understand, no one will forget me, ________ of Athens, I will be remembered....

*Neck Snap*

Kassandra: "You're already forgotten"

Kass for the win

Jun 23, 2019
Bayek. I actually enjoyed Alexios more than Kassandra as I started off with Kassandra, played her for 15 minutes and immediately restarted the game as Alexios.

Granholme

Oct 27, 2017
Bayek, unquestionably- Losing the emotional weight that Origins has running through its characters and story really dented my enthusiasm for Odyssey.
Put another way, Origins felt like a story (largely because of Bayek & Aya), Odyssey felt like a series of gameplay loops with some exposition

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I never got very far in origins, so bayek didn't get a fair shake, but Kassandra is fantastic. Like I am absolutely loving my time with odyssey and she is a huge part of why.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I really quite like Bayek, and he has one of the best smiles in all of gaming, but my vote goes to Kassandra.

Aya should have been the lead in Origins

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Bayek, unquestionably- Losing the emotional weight that Origins has running through its characters and story really dented my enthusiasm for Odyssey.
Put another way, Origins felt like a story (largely because of Bayek & Aya), Odyssey felt like a series of gameplay loops with some exposition

Honestly when I started treating Odyssey like an "adventure of the week" TV show it became a lot more fun. Just play through an entire island and call it quits for a bit then come back later to do another.

I definitely prefer Origins' approach, since it actually resulted in a coherent ongoing narrative, but Odyssey is basically Xena: The Game if you play it that way