• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which evil twin did you enjoy more?

• Liquid Snake

Votes: 117 75.0%
  • Vergil

Votes: 39 25.0%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Both brothers are the complete inverse of their protagonist siblings. What's interesting is that the roles are reversed between games. Metal Gear Solid has you play as the lone introvert, whereas in Devil May Cry, the introverted sibling is the villain. In Devil May Cry, you play as the loud, passionate sibling, whereas in Metal Gear Solid this role is delegated to the villain.

Liquid Snake

The genetically superior son of Big Boss and the one who inherited FOXHOUND. Liquid - real name Eli - leads the genome army in a hostile takeover of Shadow Moses Island, where he plans to use a new Metal Gear to fulfill his father's wishes and create Outer Heaven, a world of endless warfare. A soldier down to the bone, Liquid shows very little humanity when compared to his brother, and is much more passionate and brash in his mannerisms.

Whereas both brothers inherited Big Boss' ideal soldier genes, Liquid shows them much more evidently when compared to Solid, surviving several deadly encounters, showing prowess in unarmed combat, and showing that he is able to pilot several military grade vehicles with efficiency. Liquid also seemed to inherit his father's leadership prowess, something that his lone wolf brother seems to have missed out on.

Vergil

latest

The second son of the Demon Knight Sparda and the one who inherited his signature katana and intellectual prowess. Vergil, like his father, is refined, elegant, and deadly in both his mannerisms and on the field of battle. However, unlike his father and his brother, he shares none of their love for humanity and none of their sense of humor.

Focused on strength most of all, Vergil turned his back on his human side, seeking to further enhance his demonic abilities at the cost of countless human lives. While he had a sensitive side long ago, by the time we meet him, it has been completely twisted into a lust for power. Like Dante, he is able to use a variety of weapons. However, he refuses to use firearms - perhaps because they are a human invention, or perhaps because he finds them unrefined.

I love them both, but I gotta go with Liquid Snake. I wish he got his own game, and although I was psyched to see him in MGSV, his role was unfortunately vastly undercooked, and I don't think he'll ever reach his full potential.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Easily Liquid.

One of the best villains of all time, and voiced by Cam Clark who fucking killed it.

Vergil is the text book definition of all style and zero substance.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I never felt like Vergil was fully evil, just misguided.

Liquid is pure evil though. Also, he's the best.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Vergil. Because I barely played MGS aside from 2. And even then I don't know what happened. But Revolver Ocelot is a badass alias. Lol.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Arkham overshadows Vergil in DMC3 as far as evilness goes.

So I gotta go with Liquid.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vergil. I'm for the gameplay and sauce baby

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never felt like Vergil was fully evil, just misguided.

Liquid is pure evil though. Also, he's the best.
The fool summoned a tower that lead to the suffering and death of innocents....TWICE.

He was a petulant child who was pissed he was only the alpha and omega in his fans heads so he acted like a shit.

That isn't misguided, it's pure selfishness.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol @ liquid snake. Is this a joke? The answer is obviously Vergil but metal gear will win.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I'm just going to say I thought this poll was going to go a lot differently. Surprised to see no recency bias here. I guess MGS is that much of a classic.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In debut game? Clearly Liquid, Vergil is lame in DMC1.

He doesn't become cool until 3.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Every DMC character is lame. MGS characters are stupid, but at least they are fun.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Liquid's entire fucking evil plot revolve around him not knowing how dominant and recessive genes work?

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Virgil, he is the storm that is approaching.

Liquid is just an arm by the end of the series. Virgil steals his own son's arm, father of the year material.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
It's amazing how memorable Liquid is, considering how irrelevant/bizarrely implemented he is after his initial appearance.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Liquid's entire fucking evil plot revolve around him not knowing how dominant and recessive genes work?

I was always under the impression the point of MGS1 (and future MGS games) was that you can't replicate the soul of a person. Solid Snake looks more similar to Big Boss, but they're entirely different people, and Solid Snake is an Actual Hero while Big Boss is not. What made Solid Snake wasn't what genes he had or didn't have, it was who he was as a person.

MGSV is also built entirely around this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I was always under the impression the point of MGS1 (and future MGS games) was that you can't replicate the soul of a person. Solid Snake looks more similar to Big Boss, but they're entirely different people, and Solid Snake is an Actual Hero while Big Boss is not. What made Solid Snake wasn't what genes he had or didn't have, it was who he was as a person.

MGSV is also built entirely around this.

Correct. And yet Liquid's entire temper tantrum was based on the fact that he misinterpreted how genes work and thought he was genetically made to be "superior".

Basically Liquid is an idiot. But so is Solid, and so is their father.

Oct 26, 2017
I love MGS1 and I love Liquid, but Vergil. His personality and what he hoped to achieve was more compelling for me. It's a shame that both Liquid and Vergil are terrible in later iterations. Devil May Cry 5 boiled Vergil down to a single trait. It was a big letdown.

RustyNails

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Liquid. Such a good character. MGS4 not so much lol.

Sep 22, 2019
MGS is my favorite series, but Liquid has so little screen time in the MGS series (MGS 2 & 4 don't count) that he isn't something big I remember from MGS.

Vergil's story in DMC is not more interesting than Liquid's, but he is one of my favorite characters.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Liquid easy lol.
Lol @ liquid snake. Is this a joke? The answer is obviously Vergil but metal gear will win.
Vergil sucked in his debut. He was a cool playable character in SE, and in OG 3 he had cool boss fights, but aside from stab Dante on top of the tower he practically did nothing other than lose fights and talk about the demon realm.