• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is the best player 2010-2020?

• Messi

Votes: 380 71.4%
  • Ronaldo

Votes: 152 28.6%

• Total voters

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
European championship when it was 16 teams was more competitive than the world cup at times. It used to have insane group stages. 2016 with the new format was mostly a foregone conclusion until the quarters and semis

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Scott Sterling isn't even an option in the poll? Ridiculous.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Inter are only 3 points away and have heavily strengthened in the last 2 transfer windows and Lazio are 5 points away with a game in hand.

Look at the last decade champions, it's Juventus every year. It's super boring. Serie A used to be an amazing league in the past.
And the best thing about Inter wich is Lautaro it's not going to last long in that team.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Ronaldo cried on the pitch after he got injured in the final. It's not something that bothers me but it seems to be a negative for you.

They're both leaders for their countries though, which is why when they're in trouble both teams generally look to them for a moment of inspiration. I don't think it's something you can hold against either.

I don't literally mean crying. I mean Messi allows his emotions to take a hold whilst Ronaldo uses his emotions into being more productive.

Messi is not great for Argentina at all. Ronaldo captained a terrible Portugal side to winning Euro 2016. They did get lucky with alot of their fixtures but he still done something Messi has failed to do over and over with a much better team behind him. You are not seriously going to suggest both Messi and Ronaldo have the same attitude. They do not. Messi does not have the drive or energy Ronaldo has at international level. He just doesn't.

Cycas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ronaldo, it's close but he can transfer his form to the international level.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Messi has more technique but Ronaldo is more versatile in that he can play well for any team while Messi seems really reliant on Barcelona and their set up.

I have a slight preference for Ronaldo but they're still really close.

Messi is better for sheer talent I'll give him that.
More technique than Ronaldo? Don't underestimate the technique of Ronaldo. Watch how he handled the toughest league in the world at age 19:

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Messi

And I'd say dragging Argentina to a runners up position at the 2014 World Cup if some impressive than Portuguals 2016 Euros win

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Ronaldo for me. Carrying all the teams he's been part of to victory, from club level to national team level. It is obviously debatable and saying that Messi is the GOAT is valid as well. They are both monsters of the game.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
they also reached the final in 2004, losing to Greece

Argentina hasnt even won Copa America once with him, losing to 4 finals.

Lionel-Messi-Alexis-Sanchez-640x400.jpg

X2

tenor.gif

lel1.gif

Oct 30, 2017
it's more difficult to win the euros than the world cup, and portugal's surrounding cast generally isn't as good as argentina's, and argentina never even winning the copa america with messi is bizarre, so i absolutely think international performance is a solid argument for ronaldo in terms of historical success and legacy.

that said, i don't think anything else is. IMO overall team honours aren't as important a barometer for individual success in football as they are in something like basketball or american football (quarterbacks) where one person's individual influence on the game is so much greater, particularly when you're talking about the international game. clearly ronaldo and messi are two of the most influential players of all time, but there's still so much that's out of their hands here.

messi's consistency in la liga, plus just the holy-shit eye test, makes him the better player for me.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
The better is Ronaldo but I find Messi way more fun to watch. Bad thing he decided to play for Barça forever and they are terribly at hiring talent to play alongside him, not to say that they have am extra boner for whatever player that is Catalan or Spanish.

It would be nice if Ronaldo could win a CL with Juve.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Messi.

If you base it strictly on stats Messi had the better decade but the bulk of his success came at club level. They are both unreal and clearly a cut above the rest. The sustained level of excellence is simply astounding.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird isn't it? There has been only one non European team to win a WC in the whole of the first 2 decades of this century, but yeah let's pretend that the Euros don't count lol.
This may be anecdotal but I feel like a lot of Messi and Ronaldo fans online previously were pushing the narrative that only professional European club soccer mattered when determining the best player of all time.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
The better is Ronaldo but I find Messi way more fun to watch. Bad thing he decided to play for Barça forever and they are terribly at hiring talent to play alongside him, not to say that they have am extra boner for whatever player that is Catalan or Spanish.

It would be nice if Ronaldo could win a CL with Juve.

Has Ronaldo even played with the talent level Messi had with MSN days?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Has Ronaldo even played with the talent level Messi had with MSN days?
Best talent Messi had was Xavi and Busquets, what a joy. Yeah MSN was awesome too but the rest of the team was never as good as them. Ronaldo's Madrid was way more balanced than any Barça team Messi played.

edit: for example having Mascherano playing as center back instead of defensive midfielder lol wtf is that

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
What Messi has done at Barca is special, doubt... but Ronaldo carrying multiple Portuguese teams in various tournaments, in addition to his success at RM really puts him over the top, in my eyes.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
It's Messi. To make this more interesting, who would you say is the best defender of the last decade? I think there is more to debate with that one.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Messi is the best ever when playing for barca and barca only, with argentina he is trash.

Ronaldo proved himself everywhere he went, united madrid juve portugal, the guy is a machine.

Ronaldo for me.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Messi, eventhough he skated around that Tata Martino year (and some change) doing absolutely nothing and getting all the praise

However, when Messi is at his best, even Ronaldo cant match him, to top it off, he makes it look easy, better at free kicks, doesnt really ever flop, doesnt throw temper tantrums at his teammates ... and shit, Im a Real Madrid fan

Ronaldo is pretty spectacular in his own right though

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
It's Messi. To make this more interesting, who would you say is the best defender of the last decade? I think there is more to debate with that one.

Probably Ramos. Maybe Chiellini or Lahm would be in the running.
We only got a couple of years of Puyol in the last decade and VVD has only come to the fore in the last few years.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
For me, Messi. By far the most entertaining footballer there's been this decade. That's excluding Robbo and Milner banter of course.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Of those two, Messi.

Ibrahimovic deserves a mention though. He's done the weirdest goals (I mean that in a good way) I've seen in football.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Ramos. Maybe Chiellini or Lahm would be in the running.
We only got a couple of years of Puyol in the last decade and VVD has only come to the fore in the last few years.

Agreed, probably Ramos based on team success in the biggest games. His trophy cabinet is mighty impressive both with club and country. Varane was also incredibly successful last decade, especially given his age. That is no knock on Lahm or Chiellini who were both excellent as well.