• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is the best player 2010-2020?

• Messi

Votes: 380 71.4%
  • Ronaldo

Votes: 152 28.6%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Hi ERA,

My buddy and I are having a debate on who the best soccer player of 2010-2020 was between Messi or Ronaldo..
Thoughts..

I would say Ronaldo, just because he has more champions league victories.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Messi has better stats/numbers? But Ronaldo has more international "wins", as in uefa euro championship, champions league, etc?

Don't know exactly, feel free to correct me.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Messi is the better more talented player. But vain crybaby rapist has the most fans.

Seriously though: it's amazing to watch the both of them. And some other players as well. Salah, Mbappe, etc.

Cucurbitacée

Oct 28, 2017
Frankfurt am Main
Define best. Ronaldo is a better athlete but Messi has a better technique. And they are part of teams, so they can't never be evaluated on their own merits only. That being said; Ronaldo impresses me, but Messi amazes me. So I'd say Messi, but that will be heavily debated.

Nov 7, 2017
I think Messi has better stats/numbers? But Ronaldo has more international "wins", as in uefa euro championship, champions league, etc?

Don't know exactly, feel free to correct me.
Pretty much, messi has more goals from when ronaldo came to madrid in 09 until now. 542-498
205-131 assists. Theyre both equally great to me just slighty below Ronaldinho :)

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Messi,Which would be echoed by pretty much every living player and coach that isn't immediately related to CR.

Soiks

Oct 27, 2017
If you split Messi into one guy who had his playmaking ability and one who had his scoring ability, they'd both have the credentials to stand among the greatest players of all time. The fact that they're the same person, that he manages to create so much despite being his teams primary goalscorer and that he does so in such a way that's so fun to watch, makes this comparison pretty easy for me.

Ronaldo is a magnificent athlete and great footballer.

Messi is probably the greatest of all time.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
giphy.gif

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Ronaldo actually has proven himself on multiple teams both domestic and national teams. It's a silly argument in that they are both incredibly talented. But no major national trophies (winning an Olympic gold is great, but it's a competition that limits the number of players a country can field over a certain age) is a knock against Messi.

Tabs2002

Feb 1, 2018
Messi is the goat. His passing and creativeness are always overlooked for some reason. He makes everything look so easy.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel it's fair to judge them in La Liga, and Messi's team finished ahead of Ronaldo's most seasons whilst they were both breaking records. It's harder to judge them when they're playing completely different teams in different leagues in different countries. Give Ronaldo credit for the CL performances which are slightly ahead of Messi's.

International competitions are again difficult aside from the World Cup which neither have won.

I'd say Messi has had the better career and I'd wager most managers would sign and build a team around him rather than Ronaldo. Ronaldo is a great goal scorer which has continued to this very day with his latest current hot streak but I find Messi brings more to his teams.

Plus credit has to go to the Suarez/Messi/Neymar trio which Messi was central to. I can't think of a more perfect front line and certainly not one involving Ronaldo. There was about a year and a half when they achieved scoring feats that are likely to not be broken anytime soon.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't messi and ronaldo on/have been on super teams with good players at every position, owners who don't care about money, and are playing much lower quality teams and owners who have nowhere near the same amount of money?

It feels like 80% of their games are not even competitive.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Ronaldo has succeeded on several teams and was able to change his game as he got older. The way he adapted is what I find the most impressive.

I think Messi was way ahead to start but now Ronaldo has caught up and even surpassed him.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Ronaldo actually has proven himself on multiple teams both domestic and national teams. It's a silly argument in that they are both incredibly talented. But no major national trophies (winning an Olympic gold is great, but it's a competition that limits the number of players a country can field over a certain age) is a knock against Messi.
Ronnie hasn't won the WC either and let's be honest, it's the only international trophy worth a damn.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aren't messi and ronaldo on/have been on super teams with good players at every position, owners who don't care about money, and are playing much lower quality teams and owners who have nowhere near the same amount of money?

It feels like 80% of their games are not even competitive.

I never got this argument. Messi scored more than 90 goals in one calendar year, why should he not be playing for the best team in the world? If he didn't score a single goal the following year Barcelona would have sold him. But he still scored dozens and dozens more.

I mean I'd love him at my club but there's no logical reason why that would happen.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Ibrah deserves a shout alongside these two for being able to continue at elite level into his late 30s. It is extremely impressive what he has managed to do into his late 30s in the position he plays.

Also have a feeling the poll in this thread would be closer if Ronaldo was not a rapist.

Soiks

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with valuing international success so highly in terms of rating players is that by taking such a small number of games from a lengthy career you're giving randomness a lot more weight.

Ronaldo in the 2016 Euros and Messi in the 2014 World Cup I feel were more tournaments where they had moments of brilliance that turned games, rather than outstanding performances throughout. Ronaldo's supporting cast turned up when he needed them to in the final.

Eder scores and wins the Euro's and this elevates Ronaldo? Higuain misses a one on one, Argentina lose and Messi is devalued? It seems an awfully fine margin to judge a career on.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would say Messi was the better player, but its not like they were very far apart.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with valuing international success so highly in terms of rating players is that by taking such a small number of games from a lengthy career you're giving randomness a lot more weight.

Ronaldo in the 2016 Euros and Messi in the 2014 World Cup I feel were more tournaments where they had moments of brilliance that turned games, rather than outstanding performances throughout. Ronaldo's supporting cast turned up when he needed them to in the final.

Eder scores and wins the Euro's and this elevates Ronaldo? Higuain misses a one on one, Argentina lose and Messi is devalued? It seems an awfully fine margin to judge a career on.

There's a big difference in attitudes that has allowed Ronaldo to gain more success internationally. Do you remember the final when Ronaldo got injured? He didn't sit on the bench crying about it, he was on the sidelines coaching the team and encouraging them for the rest of the game. I could never imagine Messi doing that. Ronaldo has thag sort of leadership aspect of him that Zidane used have for France.

That's the difference between the two at international level. Ronaldo carries his team not just with his football but with his leadership and energy. Messi does not do that. Messi starts crying when he loses. Ronaldo does not do that.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
There's a big difference in attitudes that has allowed Ronaldo to gain more success internationally. Do you remember the final when Ronaldo got injured? He didn't sit on the bench crying about it, he was on the sidelines coaching the team and encouraging them for the rest of the game. I could never imagine Messi doing that. Ronaldo has thag sort of leadership aspect of him that Zidane used have for France.

That's the difference between the two at international level. Ronaldo carries his team not just with his football but with his leadership and energy. Messi does not do that. Messi starts crying when he loses. Ronaldo does not do that.
He's just vain and a narcissist. Everything has to be about him. Not because he's a teamplayer. He has become one at Juve though.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Messi has more technique but Ronaldo is more versatile in that he can play well for any team while Messi seems really reliant on Barcelona and their set up.

I have a slight preference for Ronaldo but they're still really close.

Messi is better for sheer talent I'll give him that.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Messi has only done it in one league and has done nothing with Argentina so I would say Ronaldo, both obviously incredible players though.

Jul 18, 2018
Messi has only done it in one league and has done nothing with Argentina so I would say Ronaldo, both obviously incredible players though.
So Ronaldo only in one more club than Messi from '10-20. But Ronaldo goes to a Juventus that is also stacked and playing in Seria A which is less competitive than Liga for top standings. Ok.

Soiks

Oct 27, 2017

Ronaldo cried on the pitch after he got injured in the final. It's not something that bothers me but it seems to be a negative for you.

They're both leaders for their countries though, which is why when they're in trouble both teams generally look to them for a moment of inspiration. I don't think it's something you can hold against either.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand it's stupid trying to name a single player "the best" in a team based game. On the other hand it's Zlatan.