• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is the best animated hapless loser?

• Barney Gumble (The Simpsons)

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • Bill Dauterive (King of the Hill)

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • Teddy (Bob's Burgers)

Votes: 21 30.4%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
1812907-bill.jpg
Barney_Gumble.png

Perpetually down on their luck, overly attached, beer in hand- who wore it best?

Any suggestions and I can add them to the poll, but these three seem most closely match the "type". I considered adding Squidward and Carl from Aqua Teen, but they don't really act as a friend to the main cast than they do a foil/nuisance.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The Christmas episode with Bill is one of the best KOTH episodes of all time, so I vote that.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
My favorite on the list is Bill, but Teddie is the one I feel like is the "best". He feels the most real.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Patrick was pretty funny for the first few seasons of SpongeBob, kinda went too far with it with more recent episodes

Why don't we take bikini bottom, and push it somewhere else

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Poor bill got put through the wringer...

I like teddy a lot, he has a generally positive attitude.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Barney isn't involved enough for me to view him as part of the running. He's named after Barney Rubble but Barney Rubble was in every episode.

Bill goes into dark or creepy places at times.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I had always thought the similarities between Bill and Ted(dy) were intentional considering the shows share a producer in Jim, uh, Dauterive. The latter is definitely less of a sad sack, though I suppose people's tolerance for his intense neediness varies.

As for Barney, he can be a bit of an unsung character. His role as Homer's closest friend was usurped by Lenny and Carl once they started appearing regularly in scenes at Moe's. He does have a lot of good one-off jokes in the classic era, though it's the case that the writers didn't want to continually wallow in his sad state of affairs, and yet also couldn't have his stint of sobriety last either.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Teddy's the best. Other than occasionally making things a little uncomfortable he's also pretty darn competent most of the time sometimes usually.